Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Even though I have figured out effective counters for Furies and Judeccas, DMD Proto Angelos continue to be and will probably forever be just the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ah, the perfect image to convey my life in this game.

Same but A

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
V's going to get a manga spin-off.
Devil May Cry 5: Visions of V

No english language version is currently planned, as far as I could find. But neat.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay so whoever said that Nero's attack-pause-mash attack combo is the easiest one to Max Act on every hit, man I didn't even realize how RIGHT you are. Getting a whole lot of good Max Acts now in SoS playthrough and boy slapping a Max Act Stinger into a combo string feels so good.

..on the other hand I can't, for the life of me figure out the timing on V's chain elimination. I did it exactly ONCE, on accident. What's the catch with that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kikas posted:

..on the other hand I can't, for the life of me figure out the timing on V's chain elimination. I did it exactly ONCE, on accident. What's the catch with that.

You can just mash it but you can only do it from the ground elimination NOT the teleport RB + B elimination.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Dias posted:

Not to belabor a point but I think all the gaming journalists that loved DMC5 but added a "DmC was good tho" blurb should be forced to replay the original version of that game now.

People make a really big deal about this but it's pretty standard review fair to acknowledge the previous game in the series. If I was writing a DMC5 review I'd probably have a sentence or two in the opening paragraph about Ninja Theory's game and how it was well-received critically. It's not passive-aggression against your favorite baby, it's just lazy writing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sarchasm posted:

People make a really big deal about this but it's pretty standard review fair to acknowledge the previous game in the series. If I was writing a DMC5 review I'd probably have a sentence or two in the opening paragraph about Ninja Theory's game and how it was well-received critically. It's not passive-aggression against your favorite baby, it's just lazy writing.

Oh, I think it's fair. I also think it's wrong and now that they've actually played a good DMC game I want them to UNDERSTAND.

Also gently caress M13 ghosts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I was writing a DMC article it would be about how DMC5 is a glorious return to form and function after the depressing letdown that was DmC, and take the opportunity to suggest that the mean-spirited storyline culminating in a sniper rifle abortion is an unforgivable miss that mars the series and is hardly excused for having a crappier combat system and literally one memorable boss fight.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

How are you supposed to build style as Nero? I'm stonewalled a bit on S-ranking SoS because of Mission 8 since it feels like I only really get style when I'm in DT or breaking arms and stuff. Red Queen and Blue Rose don't feel like they can get you to SSS by themselves and it feels kinda bad to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You are supposed to use a combination charge shots and Exceed to dramatically spike your style, then use red queen and buster arms to fill out your style meter until you’ve done enough other stuff that another charge short or exceed trigger will help spike you again. One way to extend your score is to focus on the fat guys first and slam them into the air and try to get big air combos on them. Enemy step + Grappling hook can combo infinitely in this way as long as you keep hitting them.

Another good strategy is to beat the fattest guy down, then pop Nero’s special sauce and clean up the fat guy and all the little guys for a big score dump.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Faust Hat 3 + Mission 13 last checkpoint gives you a solid 150k/run. Gotta unlock them EX Taunts before I can move on.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s super dope that they solved the complaint about micro transactions by putting in a way to generate nearly infinite orbs provided you are like kinda ok at the game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Koobes posted:

How are you supposed to build style as Nero? I'm stonewalled a bit on S-ranking SoS because of Mission 8 since it feels like I only really get style when I'm in DT or breaking arms and stuff. Red Queen and Blue Rose don't feel like they can get you to SSS by themselves and it feels kinda bad to me.

Punchline and Rawhide will smack up that style meter stupid high if you hit multiple enemies with them. I just recently discovered you can both lock-on and combo moves when you're riding Punchline, and when locked on you turn on a dime, not in a huge circle, and that gets me SS a lot of the time.

Also I discovered you can Ex and Max Act during the Buster Arm animations whenever Nero uses the Red Queen. And if you hit Max Act on any single hit during the animation, it will not expire until you have control again. Made the Artemis grab REALLY satisfying, with all the revving that's involved into that one.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

There's no way to check what collectibles I'm missing is there? I'm missing one purple and one blue orb after doing an SoS run with a guide and all secret missions done and I really don't want to comb through everything again.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've learned of a fun exploit with Hell Judeccas as Dante; the stretchy lightning move with Cerberus tracks them really well, and they almost anyways teleport in range of it. The game considers it a melee attack despite its large range, so hitting them with it will cause them to stop whatever move they are doing to do a short range counter instead as if you're right next to them, which leaves them open for you to close in and attack. You can sort of soft stunlock them like this; wail on them until they teleport away, hit them with stretchy move, wait for their counter to finish, then close in and repeat from step one.

Ironic that you having a stretchy move somehow stops them from using theirs. :hmmyes:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RevolverDivider posted:

There's no way to check what collectibles I'm missing is there? I'm missing one purple and one blue orb after doing an SoS run with a guide and all secret missions done and I really don't want to comb through everything again.

Did you get a purple orb in mission 14 that was hidden to the side?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s super dope that they solved the complaint about micro transactions by putting in a way to generate nearly infinite orbs provided you are like kinda ok at the game.

Yeah I only got the hat a mission ago and can already tell orbs are essentially a non-issue the moment I start using Dante again.

I'm slowly getting through the game (just finished the one where V loses his summons and has to get them back in three encounters) and I still don't really get how you use V. People have mentioned being able to get SSS ranks just mashing, but that hasn't really been the case at all for me. Shadow feels really unreliable and also pretty one-note, while it's hard to tell what Gryphon is really doing. The way Shadow in particular moves around makes it a lot more annoying to keep on enemies, and his stinger equivalent really doesn't seem good at all. I feel like there's something about him I'm inherently not getting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have no idea how the hat works. I can spend orbs but I don't seem to get more.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

JBP posted:

I have no idea how the hat works. I can spend orbs but I don't seem to get more.

You need to put the hat on enemies (like with with Set Hat) and then beat them up, without getting beat up yourself.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I forget what it's called, but buy the skill that lets you follow up the basic Gunslinger B attack with X/Square (the normal gun button). Run into a bunch of enemies, press B and then X/Square when he catches the hat, and you've suddenly made a couple thousand souls for almost nothing. The timing for it is pretty lenient, so it's not even hard to do. The risk/reward system is hilariously lopsided in the latter.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, some of the rooms on DMD have me legitimately curious how the designers expected you to get out of them alive. You can't put me in a loving tiny room with two Cainas, two Berserker, and a Judecca and expect me to leave without taking what seems like eighty billion points of basically unavoidable damage.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
King Cerberus is my favorite new(?) weapon and it's solely because Dante whoops like the number one Bruce Lee fan he is

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the hat is probably my favorite projectile weapon in these games

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Coughing Hobo posted:

King Cerberus is my favorite new(?) weapon and it's solely because Dante whoops like the number one Bruce Lee fan he is

It owns with royal guard to maximum Bruce Lee poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if the scoring is anything like in DMC4 you earn points through combos and your current stylish rank acts as a sort of score multiplier. There were points in DMC4 where you could use a powerful attack on a bunch of enemies grouped together and instantly go from D to SSS but because all the enemies died instantly and you didn’t actually perform any combos while your rank was at SSS you wouldn’t actually get many points from that battle. So if you’re getting less points on one S rank battle compared to another it’s probably because you’re killing enemies too quickly or not maintaining that rank for long enough.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 17, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are people complaining about V's critters not having enough hp not upgrading Vim and Vigor?

Coughing Hobo posted:

Cerberus was a weapon before, King Cerberus is new.

It and the faust hat suck all the drama out of the last fights. :allears:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Spergatory posted:

Man, some of the rooms on DMD have me legitimately curious how the designers expected you to get out of them alive. You can't put me in a loving tiny room with two Cainas, two Berserker, and a Judecca and expect me to leave without taking what seems like eighty billion points of basically unavoidable damage.

The health values in DMD are dumb as hell. The M17 boss is completely impotent if you air trickster onto his face for the first 40% and yet it still takes something like 2-3 minutes to get him into his second phase. And then you inevitably get clipped and have to redo that tedious poo poo again just to get to the part where he can actually hurt you. I beat M12 and M16's bosses legitimately but I'm just gorbing it at this point.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spergatory posted:

Royalguard helps.

Perfect Potato posted:

The health values in DMD are dumb as hell. The M17 boss is completely impotent if you air trickster onto his face for the first 40% and yet it still takes something like 2-3 minutes to get him into his second phase. And then you inevitably get clipped and have to redo that tedious poo poo again just to get to the part where he can actually hurt you. I beat M12 and M16's bosses legitimately but I'm just gorbing it at this point.

Yeah when the reason I want to gorb is because of the thought of having to spend all that time re-fighting dudes, something went wrong.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i keep getting a black screen with the music still playing on the first V mission :(

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Royalguard helps.

I apparently just don't have the reflexes for Royal Guard. I've been trying to use it more and more but it's just not clicking, I feel like I'm taking more damage than ever when I try to use it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spergatory posted:

I apparently just don't have the reflexes for Royal Guard. I've been trying to use it more and more but it's just not clicking, I feel like I'm taking more damage than ever when I try to use it.

Try to parry early and at the very least if you hold the button you will block. I did this for a while until I started to get parries more frequently.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

DMD is kicking my rear end. I had to use continues to beat mission 3.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
A legitimately helpful thing to know on DMD; the Tentacle-mouth gator demons will start charging like crazy when you break them out of their armor. This charge does a gazillion damage but it does not discriminate between friend and foe. If you're willing to lame it out, it's entirely possible to just Trickster dash around the battlefield, baiting him into killing everything else for you.

EDIT: Also (and I didn't realize this until this very run), in mission 13, it's helpful to know that in every room besides the first, clearing is optional. You don't have to fight all the enemies; you just have to kill the right bloodclot to open the path downwards. It's not gonna get you an S rank, but it'll get you through the level. Hell, if you memorize which clot is the right one and destroy it fast enough, you might even get through with the "No damage" bonus that doubles your score, which could get you an S rank.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 17, 2019

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Some general advice for keeping Style up and getting those sweet S ranks:
Nero
Whomever said above that Nero is about spiking Style extremely high, then basically treading water until you can spike the meter again - that's essentially correct. Nero does not have the variety in his moveset to cherry tap enemies forever. You should be using MAX-ACT and DBs to get a huge amount of Style extremely fast, and then using a variety of Red Queen combos, charged gun shots, and taunts to hold steady until you're ready to go off again (or DT again). It is very easy to fall into the trap of using a Buster grab whenever you can, but there are times where this is not good and in fact is bad. Showdown, however, builds an insane amount of Style, and you should work this in whenever you have an opportunity to do so safely. That said, Nero seems balanced around SoS difficulty to me. Anything beyond that devolves into stuff that is mostly cheesy in my experience, or a lot of Enemy Step->Grapple->Enemy Step->Grapple etc. shenanigans that work but get repetitive quickly. The last time I was having loads of fun as Nero was SoS. DMD is still great, but just isn't quite as ludicrously joyful as SoS was.

V
Use the lock-on>back>forward+Griffonbutton skill after you have the upgrade for multiple arcs of the lightning, and mostly use his charging attacks while you go to work with Shadow. What you do with Shadow doesn't really seem to matter. If you pull off a solid laser or lariat on Nightmare and break more than 2 enemies, Royal Fork and instantly go to SSS. Remember to dodge or double jump to instantly grab your familiars back to your location while also hauling rear end. I don't really have much more to say. V is the easiest character to S rank missions for me and I am terrible as him. The game is very lenient when awarding you Style as him, I feel like.

Dante
Dante has a couple missions that feel kinda poorly balanced in terms of awarding you Style rank and grading you at the end; even if you're pretty good with Dante you'll probably miss S on SoS and DMD a couple times when you think you probably should not. That said I feel like most people are still tooling around on Human/DH, and it's worth pointing out that Dante can get by on those difficulties if you swap between just two styles, two guns, and two devil arms. Instead of immediately worrying about weaving together all of his stance changes, weapon switches, and style swaps, I'd recommend getting good with Trickster + Gunslinger/Swordmaster, his default sword + Something Else, and double Kalina Ann + Something Else. Stay in Trickster by default until you see openings, and exploit them with your offensive style change. After you have the basics down you can start incorporating more weaponry and more styles into your repertoire, and this is necessary as you climb the difficulties because you won't be able to get away with trying to be a minimalist with Dante after SoS. If you find you're killing enemies too quickly to maintain a consistent SSS style rank on Human or DH, Dante has a couple of attacks that will not kill enemies until the entire attack chain is finished, namely Danse Macabre and Judgment, and you can use these to maintain a high Style rank or quickly get to SSS if you're stuck hovering around S.

e: holy poo poo do the Super costumes cause you to not heal while you're in DT? hahahaha fuuuuuck

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 17, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey, here's a question, does having enemies off screen make them less aggressive in this game as is the case in the older ones? I've kind of noticed that, specifically with enemies that are hard to dodge or teleport around a lot, but it might just be confirmation bias. If so, doesn't that mean that zooming out the camera so you can see more actually puts you at a disadvantage?

edit: I have had enemies start attacks from offscreen, which according to some meager research literally was not allowed to happen in DMC 4, but far less often than guys who are visible to "the character" (i.e. me).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 17, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've noticed and abused this myself, especially with the Twin Furies that Dante has to fight. As long as you stay close to the wall and focus on one, the other will just teleport around harmlessly. The game won't let him attack you until you can see him priming his blade.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Spergatory posted:

the Twin Furies that Dante has to fight.

*Wheelie's over the laws of physics, Trickster Cavaliering to every Gargoyle blood fountain and skipping 80% of Mission 12*

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
I absolutely adore that on Son of Sparda mode and above Vergil starts using Judgement Cut Cancels from DMC4SE. I'm half-expecting him to start Jump Canceling me on DMD. What an awesome detail. This game is such a labor of love.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

AccountingNightmare posted:

I absolutely adore that on Son of Sparda mode and above Vergil starts using Judgement Cut Cancels from DMC4SE. I'm half-expecting him to start Jump Canceling me on DMD. What an awesome detail. This game is such a labor of love.

Oh gently caress I am not beating this game on SoS then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AccountingNightmare posted:

bringiton.gif