Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

Not really - I mean, what was stopping Spider-Man from doing it all himself? He can distract them, he is the one to take them out, she adds nothing in this situation. What she excels at is information gathering and dissection, building a network of (non-super) contacts, and helping him out from a place of relative safety. She gets in the way.

Yeah, I just did that one yesterday and that drags it down, it seems like they finally have a neat twist but quickly just feels forced when you realize that he does missions like that or tougher on his own multiple times in the game. It's a step up from the other stealth missions, but still in the same ballpark as far as my enjoyment goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's honestly impressive to me how much companies have stuck with content that players have never liked. I was sick of forced stealth sections in 2002. Nobody has ever liked them. It's bizarre that with all the desperate trend-chasing in the industry they still do this stuff.

It's probably because they make narrative sense. But yeah, they suck. On a related note: water levels.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MGSV, doing a bit of C4 damage before exfil

You destroyed their anti air radar!? That wasn't one of the targets, but thats put a hole in their air surveillance

later, at another base

You destroyed their anti air radar!? That wasn't one of the targets, but thats put a hole in their air surveillance

During a mission sometime after

You destroyed their anti air radar!? That

YES THANKYOU MILLER

jeez they obviously spent a lot of time and money on this game, they couldn't have had five, even three different random lines for something you'll do a bunch of during the game?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

It's probably because they make narrative sense. But yeah, they suck. On a related note: water levels.
Water levels 100 percent come down to the physics and controls. Water levels in Mario 3 and Mega Man 4? Great. Water levels in Crash Bandicoot? Not so much.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm playing Dark Souls Remastered and Bloodborne basically at the same time and the number of times I've blown a Fire Paper or pulled out my monocle when I wanted to use a blood vial is staggering. Also, Dark Souls doesn't seem to have a way to slide down ladders and that is driving me nuts.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hold b.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

I think stealth sections in games are only really fun when they're easy. It's way more enjoyable to have the feeling of "I can't believe I actually got away with that" than sit in one spot for five minutes carefully mapping out patrol routes.

I think that's a big part of the problem, you can't just half-assedly transplant gameplay from other sources into your own game. Stealth games are fun because they're focused on making stealth fun, through level design, gadgets, decent-but-trickable AI, whatever. Distilling all of that down to "don't walk into this guard's vision cone, now do it again 20 more times" is daft.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

FactsAreUseless posted:

Water levels 100 percent come down to the physics and controls. Water levels in Mario 3 and Mega Man 4? Great. Water levels in Crash Bandicoot? Not so much.

Missing a jump underwater in the Genesis Sonics was excruciating. You would slowly drift up, miss, then slowly drift down as the music freaked the gently caress out while you panic but can do nothing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't forget music. Mario 64's otherwise good-not-great water levels are saved by the music, and the Donkey Kong Country games cracked out the top-class music for water levels for a reason.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Cleretic posted:

Don't forget music. Mario 64's otherwise good-not-great water levels are saved by the music, and the Donkey Kong Country games cracked out the top-class music for water levels for a reason.

The DKC water level music is exquisite.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Missing a jump underwater in the Genesis Sonics was excruciating. You would slowly drift up, miss, then slowly drift down as the music freaked the gently caress out while you panic but can do nothing.
Yeah the Sonic underwater levels blew because rather than offer fun new movement options it only hindered movement. I'm a fan of levels in platformers that mess with the physics but they have to do so in ways that make it more fun, not less.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Mario 64's underwater levels are fine, but they suffer from the same issues as the entire rest of the game: Nintendo was trying to figure out 3-D movement in a way few games had ever done, so it's all a little awkward.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Especially when they combine the water with moving platforms that squish you for an instadeath

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Re:Spider-Man, if I wanted to be a weak useless schlub to help me appreciate how cool Spider-Man is, I could always just go outside.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PubicMice posted:

Re:Spider-Man, if I wanted to be a weak useless schlub to help me appreciate how cool Spider-Man is, I could always just go outside.

*struggles to lean forward enough out of couch's body impression to reach keyboard* This guy gets it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

*struggles to lean forward enough out of couch's body impression to reach keyboard* This guy gets it

Does your username become increasingly ironic as the day goes by?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Doomsayer posted:

Even Saints Row 4 had a "parody" stealth section that was pretty funny but an absolute drag on subsequent playthroughs.

i forgot about that section but it made me remember the godawful corridor flying sections where you died if you so much as brushed against a wall. i almost dropped the game because of the one in the beginning.

i feel like its a really bad idea in general to try and shoehorn a different style of game into another. like ive never played a gta game and been excited that im forced to do a racing mission to advance the plot. especially when it restricts you from doing all the cool fun gta poo poo to win.

ASenileAnimal has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Mar 16, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Does your username become increasingly ironic as the day goes by?

No, it's always been about judgily policing other people without concern for myself :viggo:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

No, it's always been about judgily policing other people without concern for myself :viggo:

Can I be your sidekick, Lieutenant Lethargy?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The “become a big daddy” section of bio shock 1 always drags the game to a halt for me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Can I be your sidekick, Lieutenant Lethargy?

Hell yeah, now I only need to do half the bare minimum on hygiene patrol
:eng101::hf::effort:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nier Automata:

There was really no excuse as to why they don't have checkpoints in the first level of the game, when you're weak and inexperienced, while the last level of the game has checkpoints if you die. First impressions are important. Imagine if Dark Souls started in Lost Izalith and you only see the rest of the game if beat the Bed of Chaos as the tutorial boss.

A ton of quests have you hike back to the factory which is long, linear, and has only one shortcut.

The lock-on for the bullet-hell minigame only seemed to work half the time.

Platforming blows.

The main plot and side-quests could have been less grindy, while the endgame could have had more challenges. You can customise your chips but you hardly need to engage with the system.

Like Witcher 3 there is a whole load of chaff like hundreds of inventory items and pieces of equipment. I would have preferred a dedicated heal-system instead of being able to stack 99 of every potion, in addition to getting a health-regen and drain-attack at the same time.

The ending of the game feels abrupt. It would have been good to see 2B actually say or do something special having spent the last third of the game dead.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Mar 16, 2019

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Nier Automata:

The ending of the game feels abrupt. It would have been good to see 2B actually say or do something special having spent the last third of the game dead.

I haven't played, but aren't there about 30 different endings?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Aleph Null posted:

I haven't played, but aren't there about 30 different endings?

There are 5 real endings, but a bunch of joke endings for doing things like running away from fights or pulling out your OS chip

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

oldpainless posted:

The “become a big daddy” section of bio shock 1 always drags the game to a halt for me.

Everything after Andrew Ryan is massively inferior to the rest of the game.

Also Sander Cohen is basically just Ted from Bad Day on the Midway.

Honestly Bioshock seems pretty heavily inspired from that multimedia game in general.

EDIT: Jhin from League of Legends is also basically Ted.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why are the siege timers in Total Warhammer 2 so loving ridiculous? Even for smaller cities it'll take 6 turns before the defenders finally start suffering attrition and 12 turns before they finally surrender. I can hire a lord, give them a full set of 20 troops then slowboat it from one corner of the map to the other before any sieges finally surrender.

E: Hell I'd be happy if the attrition timer started way faster. Like 3 turns.

Leal has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Mar 16, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Leal posted:

Why are the siege timers in Total Warhammer 2 so loving ridiculous? Even for smaller cities it'll take 6 turns before the defenders finally start suffering attrition and 12 turns before they finally surrender. I can hire a lord, give them a full set of 20 troops then slowboat it from one corner of the map to the other before any sieges finally surrender.

E: Hell I'd be happy if the attrition timer started way faster. Like 3 turns.

The only players who use siege timers are the bots and the bots blow. If you can't beat them with the forces you have, they'll just sally out and kick your rear end. If you can, you're just wasting upkeep on an army to have it stand around, and risk other armies coming and kicking you out. Even if you think you'll take high casualties, it's usually less expensive in terms of time and money to take the blow and re-train/recruit back to full strength.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Dark Souls is the worst comparison you could've thought of, everyone's first impression is walking into the cemetery and immediately dying. Maybe multiple times.

Hell, my first impression of DaS 2 was pushing through Heide's even though I already had played 1 and should've known there was an easier way.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

I'm playing Dark Souls Remastered and Bloodborne basically at the same time and the number of times I've blown a Fire Paper or pulled out my monocle when I wanted to use a blood vial is staggering. Also, Dark Souls doesn't seem to have a way to slide down ladders and that is driving me nuts.

Bloodborne pisses me off sometimes because the healing system is so loving at odds with the rest of the game. Intense combat where you regain health by hitting people is kind of the ideal situation for "slow but thorough healing" that Estus gives you.

Or, like Nioh, it should have just doubled your health and taken away your healing. The end result is that enemies and bosses are so drat bursty that you quick and effective heals don't actually help you stay alive properly. First time i played Nioh I could heal for something like three-quarters of my health per healing item (of which I had loads) but every boss, and most of the enemies, would hit me for slightly over half my health. So there was never any break point where healing would let me take more than one hit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samuringa posted:

Dark Souls is the worst comparison you could've thought of, everyone's first impression is walking into the cemetery and immediately dying. Maybe multiple times.

Hell, my first impression of DaS 2 was pushing through Heide's even though I already had played 1 and should've known there was an easier way.

My first impression of DS2 was not even knowing Heide’s existed thanks to how lovely the lighting and texturing is. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The costumes in FF9 might be worse than FFX.

Garnet is wearing a romper
The Alexandrian soldiers plate sports bras and leotards
Cinna a dog collar with a chain

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Steiner wears chainmail jorts and thus FFIX has the best outfits.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
eiko's pink jumpsuit is deeply regrettable

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They work great on the FF9 models but it would look weird on their more realistic characters. Although Penelo's outfit in FF12 is similar to Garnet's.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Nier Automata:

There was really no excuse as to why they don't have checkpoints in the first level of the game, when you're weak and inexperienced, while the last level of the game has checkpoints if you die. First impressions are important. Imagine if Dark Souls started in Lost Izalith and you only see the rest of the game if beat the Bed of Chaos as the tutorial boss.

Yeah, I bounced off this game super hard. I've heard great things but the tutorial boss(es) frustrated the hell out of me. I kept getting stun locked which is super not fun.

It wasn't a total loss. I played Persona 5 instead and loved it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Yoko Taro only wants committed players to enjoy his game, and not being able to save in the first sequence sorts the wheat from the chaff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Yoko Taro only wants committed players to enjoy his game, and not being able to save in the first sequence sorts the wheat from the chaff.

The NIER Automata intro is like the :10bux: paywall here.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doesn't it have like, auto heal and auto aim if you're on easy or normal?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tunicate posted:

Doesn't it have like, auto heal and auto aim if you're on easy or normal?

Hard mode exists to call you an idiot for picking it blindly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You can dodge endlessly and be forever invincible but that's not something either a Platinum fan or a jRPG fan would expect