Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

rain with 20min to go lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That rain escalated quickly. Was at T3, saw the Toyota go onto full wet, was like :wtc:, then the heavens opened

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

That rain escalated quickly. Was at T3, saw the Toyota go onto full wet, was like :wtc:, then the heavens opened

Welcome to Florida

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

When does the imsa race start? Is that tomorrow or soon?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

freeranger posted:

When does the imsa race start? Is that tomorrow or soon?

Tomorrow before noon

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I’ll be honest, I got enough rain at Daytona.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Guess who has two thumbs and didn't bring any waterproofs to this race...

Just did the grid walk and got soaked to the skin, now back and hiding in our RV. So pumped for this!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It has to be pretty mentally taxing pushing through all that spray for hours on end.

e: mazdas, so hot right now.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 16, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

God damnit Mazda. :cripes:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
*see thread title

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For the attendees, how have the crowds been compared to prior years?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rip another mazda

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
loving gently caress

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
well the #55 is still in the race, which is something

e: and the #77 rises from the dead! there's no way Mazda CAN'T win this race

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I loving love that wynns livery on that Merc so much that I'm going to see if I can find it on forza

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Just checking into the race after waking up. What have I missed? I'm assuming Mazdas exploded as usual?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

freeranger posted:

Just checking into the race after waking up. What have I missed? I'm assuming Mazdas exploded as usual?

Let's see, one blew up, is back on the track, and the other hit the wall but only lost a lap or two.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

the lack of cautions, long yellow flag start, and extremely staggered pit strategy has made this a bit of a bore so far

needs a FCY and some rain to bunch everyone back up again

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

an oddly awful oud posted:

the lack of cautions, long yellow flag start, and extremely staggered pit strategy has made this a bit of a bore so far

needs a FCY and some rain to bunch everyone back up again

Now I’m back indoors, I agree some rain would spice things up.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I've got fast drying clothes, bring the chaos

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm watching from home and it's great.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

I loving love that wynns livery on that Merc so much that I'm going to see if I can find it on forza

The owner/driver, Ben Keating, is going to run a Ford GT at Le Mans in the Wynn’s colors too.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

OK now things can get good again. The problem with long green runs is that everyone spreads out over time and then the number of positional battles goes down which reduces the likelihood of somebody overcooking a corner or something to bring out a yellow flag, so it just becomes a feedback loop of everyone getting more and more isolated and driving conservatively and keeping the green out

also the Michelins must be great, we've seen very few incidents of cold tire screwups and flats

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I can't believe they're still running the 77 and haven't closed the garage.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

I can't believe they're still running the 77 and haven't closed the garage.

there's no reason not to; it gives practice for the whole team and, had the cautions went the #55's way and gotten it back into contention, it's still plenty fast enough to serve as a tailgunner to protect their hypothetical lead

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I guess it's heartening that even after being on fire (the #77 Mazda's natural state) it is still very fast.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

so that got pretty exciting at the end. Grats Whelen Caddy, Derani/Nasr is just an unbelievably nasty driver pairing

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Great start, great finish, terribly boring for half of the race in between. But it's still an IMSA race at Sebring and that's always cool and good.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
This was a good race to be at, and pop in and out of, watched the start in the rain, watched it go dry and transition to slicks, had a nap and some food in the middle, took a shower, came back out for the last 2 hours.

I'm totally exhausted after 4 days.

That was loving awesome.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

At least Corvette got on the podium. :')

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I somehow missed this on The Drive yesterday regarding Mazda and a return to Le Mans: http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/26986/mazda-ceo-team-joest-must-win-imsa-championship-before-thinking-about-le-mans

It's all pretty silly for a team that hasn't quite learned to walk, much less run, but it shows that 1. Mazda is open to going back to Le Mans if the regulations are right, and 2. The CEO of Mazda NA must be seriously committed to endurance racing even with the lack of success so far, which augurs well given that some people openly wonder when they're going to give up trying and leave IMSA

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If ACO woulda honored their original promises when it came to DPis, you probably would have seen the Mazda's there already i bet, and probably the Nissan's back when they ran with ESM. Dunno about Acura/Caddy due to how those programs are paid for.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Just watched FP1 and FP2 for Formula E, the new Sanya track looks okay-ish, big long back straight followed by a hairpin, should be a decent overtaking spot, and a good spot for energy management games.

I predict quite a few people loving it on the exit of turn 5 in quali, very tight exit

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

After some BTCC chat on Discord I looked at some of the cars & drivers we have this year, there are a few interesting things I spotted. Reigning champion Colin Turkington will be in a proper BMW this year:

Tom Ingram will be racing a Toyota Corolla:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjNLNISWrvQ

There are two rookie drivers to look out for in the Jack Sears trophy (eligible for drivers who have finished on the a podium in BTCC), first is Lewis Hamilton's younger brother Nicolas with his specially modified Ford Focus to help him race with his Cerebal Palsy while more excitingly second we have former British Formula Ford champion Mark Blundell.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WSR became a BMW factory team in 2017 I believe when Turkington jumped ship from Subaru, he's been in a 'proper' BMW for a while now.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

njsykora posted:

WSR became a BMW factory team in 2017 I believe when Turkington jumped ship from Subaru, he's been in a 'proper' BMW for a while now.

The 1 Series isn't a proper BMW :colbert:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

JingleBells posted:

The 1 Series isn't a proper BMW :colbert:

Yeah true, the 1 series has those weird, orange blinking lights on the sides

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

There's a Subaru in BTCC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Only like for the last three seasons. If it wasn't for poor reliability, missed rounds and DSQs, they'd have taken the last three driver titles instead of just one.