Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

How to watch:
:patriot: Fox PPV, select movie theaters . I think Ninth Layer is planning something but it might be too :files: to put in the public domain. I am sure there will be some sort of activity in the Discord - https://discordapp.com/invite/FUmR3An

UK - https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1105156930299936768

Failing all that you can just go there like I will be :hellyeah:

Title fight: Errol Spence Jr. vs. Mikey Garcia, 12 rounds, for Spence's IBF welterweight title

David Benavidez vs. J'Leon Love, 10 rounds, super middleweights

Luis Nery vs. McJoe Arroyo, 10 rounds, bantamweights

Chris Arreola vs. Jean Pierre Augustin, 10 rounds, heavyweights

Charles Martin vs. Gregory Corbin, 10 rounds, heavyweights

Videos to get ready
Mayweather Boxing Club members react to the fight being announced in November - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFe0b5FlCWo
"Ballsack of the year"
Errol Spence by murder

Mikey Garcia knocks out Dejan Zlaticanin to capture the WBC featherweight title - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94S7DQTevOg

Errol Spence defeats Kell Brook to take the IBF welterweight title - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whPASEBKSZI

Various hype programming
2 different FOX shows highlighting their camp preparations
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsEnpeEOJXE
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zvKr_-aQ3U
-Errol Spence - Mikey Garcia Face to Face - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H8EUBs9sdc
-The final Errol Spence- Mikey Garcia press conference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4-paNzJgm8
-Experts pick Spence - Garcia (warning: 40 minute video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNCpxIkhU3w

Errol Spence

Too say that amateur boxing in the United States has fallen into a downswing would be a tremendous understatement. Maybe that’s not totally true as Claressa Shields was as dominant in the past 2 Olympics on the women’s side as fellow champions Nicola Adams and Katie Taylor but for the men it’s been rough going for what used to be such a dominant program. No gold medals since Andre Ward in 2004. Only 1 bronze in 2008-won by Deontay Wilder. No medals at all in 2012. While 2016 was a bit better when Shakur Stevenson captured Silver and Nico Hernandez won a bronze it was the fight that took place after the gold medal men’s basketball game and before the closing ceremonies that caught the most attention. That night Errol Spence Jr.-a 2012 Olympian- mauled welterweight veteran Leonard Bundu to an NBC audience that peaked at over 6.3 million. From that point it was clear that man whose legend began when he supposedly gave Floyd Mayweather the business in sparring when he had just turned pro and who soon after Mayweather began referring to as the heir to his legacy. A dominant victory over the previous unstopped Chris Algeri before the Bundu fight seemed to confirm his ascent.

The Bundu win led to him becoming the IBF mandatory and in May 2017. He traveled to Sheffield, England to take on long time champion Kell Brook in his hometown. Brook was coming off a tough loss to Gennady Golovkin and-combined with years dealing with injuries and meaningless wins over wasteman mandatories since his August 2014 victory of Shawn Porter there were doubts about Brook being never all that good and damaged goods to boot. Subsequent events may prove that true in Kell’s career but that night in Sheffield Brook was quite game, giving Spence a very nip and tuck fight until Spence’s relentless style led to Kell breaking his left orbital bone (having already broken his right against GGG) en route to losing his title to Spence via 10th round stoppage. Errol then returned to the ring in January of 2018 delivering a similar but even more emphatic performance against Lamont Peterson. His last fight in June, a first round ko of mandatory Carlos Ocampo, was mainly a homecoming to build Spence’s profile in his local area, the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.

Mikey Garcia

Coming from a boxing family has historically lead to mixed results at best. For every Floyd Mayweather Jr. there are scores more Marvis Fraziers. Son of trainer of Fernando Vargas Eduardo and brother to former lightweight champion and his current trainer Robert, Miguel Angel (Mikey) has been on the radar as a pound of pound level talent since a resounding victory of Orlando Saldio in January 2013 talent. Despite following the Saldio victory with wins over the who's who of the 126 and 130 weight classes at that time in Juanma Lopez, Rocky Martinez and Juan Carlos Burgos there always seemed to be missing from Mikey's performances. From missing weight against Lopez to a flash knockdown against Martinez boxing wasn't really his life which he confirmed in various interviews. After that rousing 2013 (all 4 of the aforementioned fight took place in that year-Garcia would enter a contract dispute with Top Rank and by the time it was finally resolved in June 2016 when he signed with the PBC, Garcia had seemed like a distant memory for many fans.

A quick tuneup over Elio Rojas led to a title shot at 135 against WBC champion Dejan Zlaticanin and Garcia did not disappoint, dominating the previously unbeaten fighter from Montenegro en route to a scary knockout in the third around. Lacking for really big names on the Al Haymon 'side of the street' at 135 Garcia again moved up and fought twice at 140. The first was a money fight in July of 2017 against Adrien Broner where he predictably outworked Broner but never really seemed to phase him. And then he knocked down Sergey Lipinets to win a 140 lb belt but other than dropping Lipinets had a bit of rougher go at it than some though. After dropping back down to beat Robert Easter to unify 135 lb belts Mikey was all but begging for a fight with Errol Spence in the immediate aftermath. Despite Spence having an top option in newly crowned WBC champion Shawn Porter (whose father Spence drunkenly proclaimed his love for after Porter's win over Danny Garcia) the opportunity to make a big money fight was simply too much to pass up and with Al Haymon's Premier Boxing Champions newly minted deals with FOX and Showtime they needed a big flagship 50-50 fight to come out of the gate strong against old foe Bob Arum and Top Rank's growing relationship with ESPN as well as upstart streaming platform DAZN's seemingly endless war chest. Sure Pacquiao-Broner from this January was moderately successful but it will mainly be remember for the slew of "I beat that boy" memes rather than Pacquiao's 'rebirth' and the march towards a well overcooked rematch with Floyd Mayweather. And when Jerry Jones stepped up to make AT&T Stadium available for the hometown boy from DeSoto-with Oxnard, California native Garcia having fought many times in Texas himself- the event was born.

Picking the fight

https://twitter.com/boxingscene/status/1105915461571469312

https://twitter.com/StevESPNKim/status/1104852900017127424

https://twitter.com/snboxing/status/1106220086707347457

By all logic Mikey Garcia is way in over his head. Giving up about 4 inches of height and reach as a fighter who began at featherweight taking on a welterweight champion who fought in the amateurs as middleweight had many adopting Quatavious Cash's "Errol Spence by murder" view at the start but in the meantime something has changed. Maybe it's the feeling that Mikey is the better boxer. Or that, for being an elite fighter, Spence does take quite a few punches. Maybe Mikey's training with (supposedly) repentant Victor Conte of BALCO fame will add the bulk needed to withstand Spence's withering pressure. There’s a chance Spence is rattled by Garcia if you read his body language at press events or perhaps even the universe will want to reward Mikey as it did when Roberto Duran moved up from lightweight to welterweight and ultimately stun Sugar Ray Leonard in June of 1980 in Montreal. But most likely it's just falling victim to the same 24-hour news/social media cycle that affects everything in our lives and the promotion doing its job.

Ultimately, I see a sort of bizzaro world version Gennady Golovkin-Kell Brook where Garcia uses his counterpunching and superior timing to stave off Spence just enough for about 4-5 rounds to make us wonder if the dream might be realized. But after that Spence's pressure materializes behind a devastating body attack that has Mikey backing up until about the 10th round when too much starts to come through and Robert-perhaps seeing shades of the loss he suffered at the hands of Chico Corrales throws in the towel to protect his younger brother. Errol Spence by TKO-10

The undercard

The biggest name competing on the undercard is super middleweight David Benavidez. Younger brother of welterweight contender Jose Benavidez, at only 22 David is already a former world champion having captured a vacant WBC title with a split decision over Ronald Gavril in 2017. The bout was close enough to warrant an immediate rematch next February which Benavidez won by unanimous decision. Since then he has been inactive following a botched attempt to sign with Top Rank and subsequent suspension for a cocaine test which cost him that belt. Benavidez takes on Money team stalwart J’Leon Love who only has 2 losses to his name but seems mainly to be known for his association with the Mayweathers and social media gossip than ability as a top flight boxer. A definite win would put Benavidez would put him back in line to fight Anthony Dirrell who recently won the vacant WBC belt and depending on how he looks against Love I would have to make David a sizeable favorite based on sheer potential and ability.

Beforehand bantamweight Luis Nery makes his debut with the PBC. Nery is best known for 2 knockout victories over previous hipster pound for pound favorite Shinsuke Yamanaka which were clouded by a failed drug test and missing weight respectively. By signing with PBC Nery avoids the World Boxing Super Series (and the vengeance of Japan at the hands of Naoya Inoue in my opinion) but does set up a long track build for a fight with Guillermo Rigondeaux. His opponent is Puerto Rico’s McJoe Arroyo, who is not be confused with his twin brother, super flyweight contender McWilliams. Arroyo is a strong boxer with an Olympic pedigree but has been defeated when stepping up to the world level by both Jerwin Ancajas and Rau’shee Warren. I expect a Nery decision win or mid-late stoppage.

Opening the pay-per view action is Chris Arreola. Arreola has been around seemingly forever making fun rear end fights. Whether getting throttled by Vitali Klitschko, Deontay Wilder or even Bermane Stiverne twice, making fights with journeymen like Fred Kassi and Curtis Harper way tougher than they need to be to giving great and honest interviews to boxing Youtube videographers Arreola is one of the sports more endearing if not omnipresent characters. He takes on 17-0-1 prospect Jean Pierre Augustin in what will be sink or swim for either. For the long-term health of the division (and Arreola) it’s probably better that Augustin sends him packing but there’s a part of that wants to see Chris do the drat thing and get one last big fight. Perhaps a dad bod slopfest with Adam Kownacki would be in the offing were he to win.

On the FOX prelims Former IBF champion Charles Martin continues to walk this earth like a God on a mission to be a knockout victim in another big money fight. He is in similar to Chris Arreola against unbeaten prospect Gregory Corbin.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
In case you haven't heard already-I don't see how you could I've barely said anything about it-I will be going to fight so I guess I'll post all the dumb picutres I make my friend take of me and various boxing luminaries who he doesn't know here.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
glad we got a thread for this. it's a legit superfight if the size / skill difference isn't as vast as i fear it is. my honest assessment of this fight is that it's more of a blowout on paper than rigo / loma. mikey is a loving excellent boxer and i consider him elite in his weight class, but not at welter. hope he proves me extremely wrong and we get a canelo / ggg as opposed to a rigo / loma.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I believe in Mikey.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nice write up. As mentioned I'm indeed planning on doing some kind of shared stream of the PPV in discord, basically a virtual fight party, provided a decent number of people are interested and show up.
https://discordapp.com/invite/FUmR3An

This way we can also all watch the same stream without worrying about connection issues or people watching different feeds. Legally I don't see how this is any different from me buying the fight on TV and then inviting all of you to my house to watch.

As for the fight itself I'm pretty excited. There's a chance this goes like Brook vs GGG or Khan vs Canelo where a good small fighter is clearly outmatched by a better big fighter, but I think in terms of talent and skillset Mikey Garcia is ahead of Brook or Khan and should have a better showing than those guys did.

But also a lot of that is wishful thinking on my part that we get a good fight. P4P #1 guy Vasyl Lomachenko thinks this will be a wipeout for Spence, although he could be biased against Garcia who moved up in weight rather than fighting him. If I was betting on this fight I'd probably be wagering on an outcome very similar to SituAsian's Spence TKO-10 pick.

Honestly if Mikey makes it to a decision then it'll be a win for him even if he doesn't get the judges' nod. Not many fighters survive Spence and most observers are giving Mikey only underdog chances of winning so he'll have exceeded expectations simply by making it to the end of the fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

This way we can also all watch the same stream without worrying about connection issues or people watching different feeds. Legally I don't see how this is any different from me buying the fight on TV and then inviting all of you to my house to watch.

There's so few of us I'm guessing this analogy is close. It's free in the UK anyway isn't it? Anyway I'll probably join you.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Everyone (the televised fights at least) is on weight

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/1106642089524244480?s=19

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/1106636873433268226?s=19

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/1106634982846595073?s=19

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Chris Arreola also made it in under 240 lb, good for him.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The Garcia brothers are sly ones, getting their excuses about the size difference early even though they were the only ones who asked for this fight.

Cash out imo, this is the biggest fight they could make without dealing with Arum. Robert will have the towel ready.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

In betting news Spence is a +400 to win, meaning you have to bet $400 on him to bet $100. Garcia is -300 meaning he's a three-to-one underdog, bet $100 on him winning and you'll get $300.

I know you're all waiting with bated breath to hear what Richard Dwyer thinks of the fight. As resident Dwyer correspondent I'm here to report he's picking Garcia with some interesting logic. He thinks Spence is too predictable, doesn't have great straight punches and doesn't have as good a defense or back foot game as Garcia, so Mikey will have openings where he can get in the pocket against Spence and walk him back. He doesn't make much of the weight disparity and describes Mikey Garcia as a "stout" 150-pounder. Says that three to one odds on Mikey is way too wide and that people are beginning to realize this closer to the fight.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4X-S0Pxs54

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 16, 2019

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

In betting news Spence is a +400 to win, meaning you have to bet $400 on him to bet $100. Garcia is -300 meaning he's a three-to-one underdog, bet $100 on him winning and you'll get $300.

I know you're all waiting with bated breath to hear what Richard Dwyer thinks of the fight. As resident Dwyer correspondent I'm here to report he's picking Garcia with some interesting logic. He thinks Spence is too predictable, doesn't have great straight punches and doesn't have as good a defense or back foot game as Garcia, so Mikey will have openings where he can get in the pocket against Spence and walk him back. He doesn't make much of the weight disparity and describes Mikey Garcia as a "stout" 150-pounder. Says that three to one odds on Mikey is way too wide and that people are beginning to realize this closer to the fight.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4X-S0Pxs54

i'll be putting money on mikey by points, a draw (because it's a 'super fight'), and some group round betting on spence.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Already getting hype for this big one 💪💪💪💪

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Seeing a lot more Mikey fans (read Mexicans) than spence which is somewhat expected. Feeling, especially with Mikey looking kind doughy at the weighin when I expected him to look a bit better based on the prefight, that they will be disappointed and we may have an even shorter evening than I thought.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 16, 2019

Entangled
Feb 24, 2013
I don't much follow boxing, but my guy at work who does said not to miss Spence vs. Garcia. Let's go for Spence by TKO in 10 after a solid undercard.

BaggySteve
Dec 4, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Who

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a guy get DQ'd for excessive fouling, it's been a while.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
My dude how you gonna be the fighter from Dallas and get dqed for punching Prince Charles Martin in the dick 4 times

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, Chris gonna wreckem

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
PUTTEM DOWN BOY

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I went ahead and got the card, seems like the discord stream is working ok.

Ideally there'd be a way to set up a video channel in the server but for now I'm just doing a group call. If you know how to make a video / screen sharing server lmk.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LIGHTM UP

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Chris lookin flabby and beat this bitch

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

meat CRime posted:

Chris lookin flabby and beat this bitch

"Best shape we've seen him in years"

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Ninth Layer posted:

ahahah, glad he didnt retire. Boy still bangin

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

Its true though

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Arreola set the bar pretty low about what kind've shape he's in.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I haven't seen Nery fight before but I'm pretty impressed by what I see here. Moves around the ring well, throws punches in bunches and knows how to turn up the pace of a fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

I haven't seen Nery fight before but I'm pretty impressed by what I see here. Moves around the ring well, throws punches in bunches and knows how to turn up the pace of a fight.

i don't know what he's doing fighting this guy though. arroyo looks like he'd be a great stepping stone for a prospect with 15-20 fights and needs a game guy with a good skillset.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nice we're getting a swing fight before the co-feature

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

roach threw that first jab and i thought 'oh no, i can box better than this guy'. why is there a squash match this far up the card?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that roach guy does not have 5 pro wins.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That guy gives me confidence that someday my own pro career can take off.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Can you imagine you're some 5-1 guy and you get called up to fight at loving Cowboy Stadium

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Can you imagine you're some 5-1 guy and you get called up to fight at loving Cowboy Stadium

i would honestly love to hear how that fight happened.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

“We really can’t pay you much but it would be great exposure”

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

I imagine his last name had something to do with it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Monday Bandele posted:

I imagine his last name had something to do with it

'any relation to freddie?'

'er, yes?'

'how many fights?'

'er, 6?'

sounds about right.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

David Benavidez looking pretty, pretty good in there.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

great i help take some stuff to the car and i miss the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

marching band doing mo bamba was p good