Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Are there any isekais that have actually ended? Like, how many times has an isekai protagonist actually fought the demon lord at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Crabtree posted:

An Isekai where a kid goes on a grand adventure and returns in adulthood with basically no real world skills or contacts to make it in society. So they either gotta break reality to bring that world's magic in (at a horrible cost) or try to find a way back to the other side - even if its suicide.

My job experience in another world as a hero only qualifies me to work at a fantasy themed microbrewery where my co-workers think I am just staying in character when I complain that the Dragontail Ale has no Dragontail but I am actually just being pedantic.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Are there any isekais that have actually ended? Like, how many times has an isekai protagonist actually fought the demon lord at the end

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Shield hero had actually finished. (It may shock you that demon lord was actually demon lady in this one)

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
El-Hazard?

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I guess that's the best thread to ask this kind of stuff in, but I read the first two translated chapters of The Banished Villainess! Living the Leisurely Life of a Nun Making Revolutionary Church Food and I was wondering if there were other otome isekai that you guys would say are worth taking a look at.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't there one about a now middle-aged guy who returns back from the other world to the real world, but turns out his real body was in a coma, so now he has to re-adapt and junk?

Yes, but he did come back with magic. But he'd left before things like Tsundere had been popularized, so when he met his Tsundere love interest in the Isekai he thought she was a horrible human being for always insulting him and basically ran away crying from her.

https://mangadex.org/title/31488/isekai-ojisan

Only 2 chapters so far

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Isekai-ojisan description posted:

A shounen went to an isekai and came back as an ojisan, hence the title.

Goddamnit no more description changes please, elaborate descriptions are stoopid

:hmmyes:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Creamed Cormp posted:

I guess that's the best thread to ask this kind of stuff in, but I read the first two translated chapters of The Banished Villainess! Living the Leisurely Life of a Nun Making Revolutionary Church Food and I was wondering if there were other otome isekai that you guys would say are worth taking a look at.
Have you checked Bakarina? It's getting an anime soon and an official release of the manga, localized as My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! it's easily among the funniest Isekai manga/light novels out there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lt. Lizard posted:

Shield hero had actually finished. (It may shock you that demon lord was actually demon lady in this one)

hahahahahaha, of course, of course

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wark Say posted:

Have you checked Bakarina? It's getting an anime soon and an official release of the manga, localized as My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! it's easily among the funniest Isekai manga/light novels out there.

exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for, thanks!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ninjewtsu posted:

I think it's because the actual isekai premise of "loving around in a fantasy setting with overpowered powers" is not something that lends itself to a natural ending.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's really funny to me that it's a pretty widespread genre where everything in it apparently either goes on forever, or dies due to lack of popularity than an actual natural conclusion

Like any time you pick up an isekai, you know this poo poo isn't actually going to end, either you'll grow tired of it or youll, one way or another, hit disappointment

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Creamed Cormp posted:

You're looking for the good isekai for people who like isekai thread.

ninjewtsu posted:

The WN of Jobless Reincarnation finished, though the LNs haven't yet, if that counts.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 6, 2019

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ninjewtsu posted:

It's really funny to me that it's a pretty widespread genre where everything in it apparently either goes on forever, or dies due to lack of popularity than an actual natural conclusion

Like any time you pick up an isekai, you know this poo poo isn't actually going to end, either you'll grow tired of it or youll, one way or another, hit disappointment

or the author dies from illness which IIRC is what happened with Zero no Tsukaima

(does it count as an Isekai? mostly?)

RIP in Power, dude who made 14 years old me learn to appreciate tsunderes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

The Adventure Zone.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Creamed Cormp posted:

or the author dies from illness which IIRC is what happened with Zero no Tsukaima

(does it count as an Isekai? mostly?)

RIP in Power, dude who made 14 years old me learn to appreciate tsunderes

Zero no Tsukaima is pretty stock isekai (sent to a generic fantasy world, given superpowers and a harem), it's just a little better written than some of the worst examples.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

There are occasional bouts of serious action stuff but it's mostly doofy slice of life shenanigans. Also pretty much every villain becomes either a housemate or another schlub trying to make ends meet in similarly poorly planned fashion as Maou is after he wrecks their poo poo

The last thing I read in the manga was them going to a friend's farm to work temporarily while the store was being renovated, and Maou and Emi being parents to the best character in the series

Problem imo with at least as far as the anime goes is that the female lead who is literally the hero who defeated Maou and his armies and forced him to retreat from their world ends up becoming largely a damsel in distress anytime some other threat shows up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, that's an issue with the anime. She gets her own spotlight moments past that point, for sure. It's basically a "I've not really understood my full potential yet" sort of thing in the manga, unsure of what happens in the LNs though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I cant get over how loving dumb and whiny the main character is

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Jackard posted:

I cant get over how loving dumb and whiny the main character is

hey

on-topic posts are MY gimmick

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Unless youre posting about which other poster you want to marry or talking about your favorite gilded cuirass youre off topic in here: My combination wedding chapel and armoury

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The topic is what I say it is, which is what sharky says it is

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Rising of the Shield Hero: In which our titular hero visits his good friend the Slave Merchant, whose business is booming thanks to the great success and popularity the hero is enjoying thanks to the slaves that owns, and then he looks at the Slave Merchant's slaves and remarks upon how powerful they are and inquires about how he might make his own slaves strong like the Slave Merchant's slaves.

jesus christ how does anyone write a scene like that without becoming at least a little aware of how hosed up it is

EDIT: poo poo, this is off topic. Um, he also got a new chestpiece thanks to his slaves defeating a zombie dragon for him. Sharkopath is it a good chestpiece? I don't imagine it is.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 15, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

lmao you watch shield hero

the giant bird thing looks cool though and I wish it was in a better show, maybe Goblin Slayer instead?

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 15, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Captain Cappy posted:

lmao you watch shield hero

the giant bird thing looks cool though and I wish it was in a better show, maybe Goblin Slayer instead?
The bird is cute but it spends most of its time as an underage girl so it can't really even be given that. At least it gets to fight as a giant bird. I wouldn't want it to be in GS though because it should be safe. Shield Hero might have slavery but at least you can know that nothing bad will ever happen to him or his party because he was betrayed once and the rest of the show is about how awful the people who misjudge shield hero are and how shield hero has never done and will never do anything wrong because he is the shield hero.

And I've mentioned before (I forget if it's in this thread or another so it's whatevs) that I watch it with my friends as part of the shows we watch together. My buddy has taste that varies from good like our mutual love of TTGL to bad like, well, this. But let's be real even if it wasn't chosen for me I'dve probably ended up watching anyway because I watch almost every isekai anime anyway cause I'm trash.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am glad that Shield Hero isn't actually a story about rape, because that poo poo triggers me due to personal experiences. It's also why I have more of a problem with Goblin Slayer than Shield Hero on a personal level.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mordaedil posted:

I am glad that Shield Hero isn't actually a story about rape, because that poo poo triggers me due to personal experiences. It's also why I have more of a problem with Goblin Slayer than Shield Hero on a personal level.

while Shield Hero is probably more harmful on an ideological level stories like Goblin Slayer that constantly use rape as a cheap tool for drama are more disgusting imo

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mordaedil posted:

I am glad that Shield Hero isn't actually a story about rape,
Instead it is a story about child grooming. But this is okay because the children are not human,

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

Instead it is a story about child grooming. But this is okay because the children are not human,

See, I don't have much experience with child groomers in my family, but rape is a thing that we've had to deal with a lot.

Also pedophilia, but it wasn't exactly the same as child grooming, but everyone involved are adults now, so...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This is a thread for silent mourning now so nobody is allowed to post.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The time for mourning is over

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I was initially interested in Goblin Slayer, because it has a strong premise. It's like Tucker's Kobolds the manga! But I couldn't get over the feeling that it felt like fascist propaganda with the despised minority of choice replaced with "goblins". They're all evil, every single one of them is, and they are sub-human, and they're invading, and the main character is ardent that they all need to be wiped out, even the child goblins, and they are all coming to steal your women and rape them to make more gross goblins. Am I the only one who saw this parallel?

I haven't actually read Goblin Slayer.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I think it was Sharkopath who said they were knowledgeable of Chinese warfare stuff so I wanted to ask:
Was the repeating crossbow actually good? I looked at a few youtube videos and it looks like the bolts were almost being tossed out with no force behind them. I can't imagine something like that getting through gambeson, so was it just for hoping that you get lucky and hit their face or something?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Captain Cappy posted:

I think it was Sharkopath who said they were knowledgeable of Chinese warfare stuff so I wanted to ask:
Was the repeating crossbow actually good? I looked at a few youtube videos and it looks like the bolts were almost being tossed out with no force behind them. I can't imagine something like that getting through gambeson, so was it just for hoping that you get lucky and hit their face or something?

From wikipedia

quote:

The repeating crossbow had an effective range of 70 meters and a maximum range of 180 meters. Its comparatively short range limited its usage to primarily defensive positions, where its ability to rapidly discharge 7–10 bolts in 15–20 seconds was used to prevent assaults on gates and doorways. In comparison, an arbalest could only deliver about two bolts a minute. The repeating crossbow, with its smaller and lighter ammunition, had neither the power nor the accuracy of an arbalest. Thus, it was not very useful against more heavily armoured troops unless poison was smeared on bolts, in which case even a small wound might prove fatal.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Yeah I read it but it seems light on details. What's heavily armored mean in this case?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Normal crossbows wouldnt go through solid plate except at extreme close range and even then if you were wearing any layers underneath it probably wouldn't also go through them.

I can't imagine the chokonu style would fare even in the realm of comparability, many cloth layers might be enough to protect you. The shock and impact of getting hit would still slow you down though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Theres stories of 12 century knights that just looked like pincushions because of all the arrows stuck in them through their mail, but since they wore cloth underneath it was fine and didnt really bother them much except having all these arrows they had to periodically break off or it would impair movement.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Did they ever give up on actually piercing the armor and just made bolts that transfer the most kinetic energy instead to act as long ranged maces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nebrilos posted:

I was initially interested in Goblin Slayer, because it has a strong premise. It's like Tucker's Kobolds the manga! But I couldn't get over the feeling that it felt like fascist propaganda with the despised minority of choice replaced with "goblins". They're all evil, every single one of them is, and they are sub-human, and they're invading, and the main character is ardent that they all need to be wiped out, even the child goblins, and they are all coming to steal your women and rape them to make more gross goblins. Am I the only one who saw this parallel?

I haven't actually read Goblin Slayer.

It's actually a bit more "sophisticated" in its fascism (or more accurately "ethnic cleansing apologia") than that. Basically Goblin Slayer (both the titular character and the series in general) makes the point that the goblins are not really morally in the wrong relative to humans, and that their hatred initially began with humans killing them for sport and combat experience, but that the well has been poisoned now and humans have no choice but to wipe goblins out for the sake of self-preservation. So it's like the arguments people make IRL about how Israel (or previously South Africa, etc) is correct to oppress/kill Palestinians because their past immoral actions leave them "no choice" but to continue, or else face violent reprisal.

In a way this is actually more concerning than something explicitly portraying the goblins as LotR orcs or whatever, because it is effectively acknowledging that the goblins must still be exterminated despite not being sub-human.