Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I felt the exact same way. I've never been anywhere near an ocean but I had no fear of it at all. I was honestly surprised to read the thread and hear that people found the game frightening. I got a couple of jump scares from Reapers, but other than that I found the game pretty relaxing.

I have serious thalassophobia when it comes to "underwater where you can't see the bottom"

I'm trying once more to power through Subnautica - vastly more profligate outpost building is helping so far, as is successfully discovering the joys of the Seamoth rather than taking so long to unlock it that I eventually went and did something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have serious thalassophobia when it comes to "underwater where you can't see the bottom"

I'm trying once more to power through Subnautica - vastly more profligate outpost building is helping so far, as is successfully discovering the joys of the Seamoth rather than taking so long to unlock it that I eventually went and did something else.

Subnautica helps you get over thalassophobia then immediately reminds you why the instinct exists in the first place

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fear of the unknown, especially when it comes to the ocean, is a very unpredictable thing and different people handle it in extremely different ways. I was pretty slow and methodical, though not as spooked as some streamers were, when I first started, but what's the saying? Familiarity breeds complacency? Right now I'm on a second playthrough building a massive superbase in one of the red grass fields using the columns spread around them as foundations for each major section of the base, with the central gap for moonpools and such. I take trips out to various areas to gather more resources to expand further, and found myself just lazily dodging around a reaper in my seamoth in one of the pitch black sandy areas, it roaring nonstop as it twirled around trying to grab me, then I just sorta whirled off to go somewhere else and left it behind.

I think it was seagull who, when chat kept telling him to go headfirst behind the aurora to see the reapers for himself, that he "doesn't want to learn how they work, because then he would no longer fear them", and I really understand that. The only enemies even remotely dangerous to me are warpers and sea dragons, for obvious reasons, the rest are obstacles at best. Sure the game is all about progression and finding new locations to explore, but there's definitely a bit of the magic that is lost after you've learned the mechanics of the various megafauna.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I think a huge element of it too is just how unknown it is for you; I went into the game with no guides or videos or any of that so the reaper being the thing to look for was not something I was aware of. There’s no sense of direction and such so just heading into the pitch dark or into a new biome the first time can leave you with a very real sense of uneasiness. That passes pretty quickly with your bearings but for a bit you just don’t know what the gently caress is going to pop up nearby, and that owns.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
There's a Subnautica postmortem at GDC, someone's live tweeting it:
https://twitter.com/lizardengland/status/1108051616966467584

Good tidbits if you're the kind of person to go into a frothing rage over pop-in or whatever.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WHO THE gently caress SAID POP-IN

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hwurmp posted:

Me, I said it, I flung myself towards my base so fast that the foundation didn't pop in in time and now my prawn suit is lodged up to its thighs in the foundation.

Helpfully, you cannot deconstruct a foundation while a prawn suit is clipped inside it, and the game specifically tells you such, meaning my prawn suit is now an overly expensive base decoration because it cannot be extricated from the foundation and the foundation cannot be deconstructed until the prawn suit is extricated

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so

using my monkey brain, I think, "reaper leviathans can dislodge stuck vehicles!" `spawn reaperleviathan

reaper roar, fading into the distance, no sign of it.

repeat the console command a couple dozen times in various locations, at the surface, inside my base, inside the prawn suit, same sound, no reaper.

"huh. well, let's try something else."

"maybe porting to the lifepod and back would allow me to remove the prawn suit from my drat base's floor."

`randomstart

`biome grassy

I did not get screenshot of what happened upon teleporting back to the grassy biome where my base was, but suffice to say, 25 reaper leviathans all spawned in on top of me at the exact same time, all roaring at the exact same time, this was a few seconds later as they all looped around for anuvva go at me

the prawn suit was indeed immediately rescued from the floor of my base, and also immediately chewed to bits

so now I'm in my base, enjoying the view

sent my cuddlefish out to deal with them, turns out reapers will straight up attack the cuddlefish and hurt it, but cuddlefish don't care because cuddlefish secretly has like ten times the health of a reaper

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

well at least you know what destroyed that lifepod.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is there a "spawn prawnsuit" command?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Spawn exosuit

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mazz posted:

Spawn exosuit
I must've missed that one, dang. Oh well, I had some fun with the mess I made. :v:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
yeah i got a prawn swallowed up by the ground in the lava biome and i had to search for that, i remember it took a couple console command lists to actually find

the modules are all exosuit related as well if you need to reset a bugged prawn and dont want to hunt down all the materials again

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I couldn't save my Seamoth, but I did manage to buy us a few more precious seconds too say goodbye.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A starstruck romance! :swoon:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The fear for me was going deeper and deeper. At the endgame that finally stops and it’s caves so the tension is gone.

Imagine needing a new diving suit and going 10,000 meters down open ocean. With who knows what kind of creatures silently waiting...

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 27, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Honestly, the lava stuff did make sense, given they decided the game was set on top of a massive dormant volcano. But it did kind of take away the really scary 'sheer darkness open waters' stuff you find in the Dunes or the Mountains or the Blood Kelp Zones (to varying degrees).

If they went full The Abyss and had you have to make a dive over the Crater's Edge in a special pressure suit to get to one of the facilities, I would have really hesitated there, just like I played 310 hours or so before I actually even went into the Lost River, then wrapped up in another 30 hours or so.

I've only played 5 hours of Below Zero yesterday (after finally finishing the original with the above combined playtime since I bought it in early february), but the holes leading deeper into the Twisty Bridges beneath the precursor sanctuary are making me really nervous.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DropsySufferer posted:

The fear for me was going deeper and deeper. At the endgame that finally stops and it’s caves so the tension is gone.

Imagine needing a new diving suit and going 10,000 meters down open ocean. With who knows what kind of creatures silently waiting...
It's less that and more you have a mobile air tank in the vehicles. No delay in exiting/entering them, no issues with pressure, so you start to forget to mind your oxygen and stuff. Real underwater caves are still loving terrifying, to the extreme. The subnautica ones just make you snuggle your vehicles more.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Given the oxygen plants in Below Zero, I hope they're planning on making oxygen supply a concern for a bigger portion of the game. Exploring with nothing but a seaglide, an air pump and some pipes is a much different experience from running around in a Seamoth.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

this game wouldn’t be half as terrifying if i hadn’t had a panic attack while trying to scuba at like 15m

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If this game makes you uneasy definitely check out the movie Sanctum...preferably in 3D. :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now I'm thirsty for more genuine blind LPs of this game. Especially with people who go off the beaten track.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Hwurmp posted:

Does anyone know if the new one still has it

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I just played this from the Epic launcher giveaway and it was one of the most enjoyable games I've played in years. I can't believe I would have overlooked it otherwise. It evoked something reminiscent of Super Metroid, that feeling of curiosity mixed with dread going deeper and deeper into alien biomes, upgrading just barely enough to deal with the increasing threats and dying to know what's around the next corner.

Besides the fact that they knocked every aspect of the game out of the park, I think the most critical reason I put so many hours into it was how the perfectly paced story was revealed via your own searching, with an actual goal (as much as I hated it to end). There's something about aimless wandering in most survival games that makes me lose interest pretty quick. Is there anything else that has a decent story/ending? I've heard good things about the Forest, though I'd prefer a setting more otherworldly.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Everything enjoyable about the Forest is going to come from the Survival experience. Its story is really badly presented unless they've improved it significantly in the last few months.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ossipago posted:

I just played this from the Epic launcher giveaway and it was one of the most enjoyable games I've played in years. I can't believe I would have overlooked it otherwise. It evoked something reminiscent of Super Metroid, that feeling of curiosity mixed with dread going deeper and deeper into alien biomes, upgrading just barely enough to deal with the increasing threats and dying to know what's around the next corner.

Besides the fact that they knocked every aspect of the game out of the park, I think the most critical reason I put so many hours into it was how the perfectly paced story was revealed via your own searching, with an actual goal (as much as I hated it to end). There's something about aimless wandering in most survival games that makes me lose interest pretty quick. Is there anything else that has a decent story/ending? I've heard good things about the Forest, though I'd prefer a setting more otherworldly.

In a way, the STALKER games gave me the exact same feeling of exploratory wandering for a specific goal. Especially the first one, Shadow of Chernobyl.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

In a way, the STALKER games gave me the exact same feeling of exploratory wandering for a specific goal. Especially the first one, Shadow of Chernobyl.

The original STALKER was a great premise with a terrible execution, not sure I'd recommend it as a follow-up to this...

Honestly, in thinking hard, there really is nothing like Subnautica. They intentionally found an unfilled niche and filled it: I believe it's not the gameplay so much as the novelty of the environment which attracts players.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

at least part of subnautica's appeal is how alive the world is. Even in supposedly sparse areas like the dunes or the mountains, there's always fish swimming. Compare that to basically any other game where the only real movement comes from the 4 randomly spawned "herd" of wildlife, and the next spawn point is 30 seconds of driving away. It also helps that 70% of what spawns in is harmless.

If there is a building/exploration game with the visual appeal of subnautica (lots of life, lots of colours), I'd love to hear about it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

double nine posted:

at least part of subnautica's appeal is how alive the world is. Even in supposedly sparse areas like the dunes or the mountains, there's always fish swimming. Compare that to basically any other game where the only real movement comes from the 4 randomly spawned "herd" of wildlife, and the next spawn point is 30 seconds of driving away. It also helps that 70% of what spawns in is harmless.

If there is a building/exploration game with the visual appeal of subnautica (lots of life, lots of colours), I'd love to hear about it.

That's an amazingly astute observation: the constant visual movement on the screen has to be extremely engaging for the eyes/brain... :stare:

Isn't that one of the things that makes Tetris so addictive?

As far as similarly colorful building games, I am hopeful about Satisfactory, but haven't actually had the chance to try it or watch much footage.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

double nine posted:

Different genre, but give 7 Days to Die a try.

No story whatsoever (game is still in alpha) but they have exploration and building really nailed down (no pun intended).

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I made the mistake of driving my Seamoth onto the beach while exploring an island and now it's underground, what console command(s) do I use to get it back?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

isndl posted:

I made the mistake of driving my Seamoth onto the beach while exploring an island and now it's underground, what console command(s) do I use to get it back?

None work that well, but the best one generally is the dig command, place the cursor over the seamoth as best you can and it’ll dig out a 10m sphere so you can see some of it, then just prop cannon it out.

Or just spawn a new one and hope the old one disappears in time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The new Deep Twisty Bridges biome in BZ is pretty cool. Hoping they put in some more power sources soon, Solar doesn't reach down far enough to build a proper deep base.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I really wish they could find a way to fix their scale issues. The Sharksquid is supposedly, like, frickin' huge, but it looks only slightly bigger than a Brute Shark...which looks no bigger than, well, a human, even though it's supposed to be at least fifteen feet long. I was honestly shocked at the concept drawing showing the size comparison when I saw it.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Are there any other games like Subnatica? I tried No Man's Sky and while cool isn't remotely close to Subnautica. This game is a unique one. What I'd like now would be a randomizer that makes a procedurally generated world. I'd do another playthrough but the downside is I know where everything is.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I really wish they could find a way to fix their scale issues. The Sharksquid is supposedly, like, frickin' huge, but it looks only slightly bigger than a Brute Shark...which looks no bigger than, well, a human, even though it's supposed to be at least fifteen feet long. I was honestly shocked at the concept drawing showing the size comparison when I saw it.

I noticed this towards the end when even the biggest creature really isn't that big. I was hoping for something at least as big as our blue whales on earth.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 14, 2019

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

DropsySufferer posted:

Are there any other games like Subnatica? I tried No Man's Sky and while cool isn't remotely close to Subnautica. This game is a unique one. What I'd like now would be a randomizer that makes a procedurally generated world. I'd do another playthrough but the downside is I know where everything is.

They originally tried to do a randomized voxel-based world for Subnautica, but it caused too many headaches and left lasting issues for the game.

There's a lot biome explorers out there, but for ones with an actual story, they all tend to fall short.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

I noticed this towards the end when even the biggest creature really isn't that big. I was hoping for something at least as big as our blue whales on earth.

7 Days to Die is good.

No story whatsoever (yet) but it has about ten times the content.

Default game map is hand-crafted and is massive, and if you get tired of that, there's a random map generator too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Endless Ocean 1 and 2 on the Wii is about the only thing that comes close for specifically aquatic exploration.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DropsySufferer posted:

What kind of game are you looking for? Want to try and survive in the wild against all odds while crafting some things? The Long Dark takes place in Northern Canada after some sort of solar event knocks out all electronics. Frozen forest. Much more focus on Survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Zesty posted:

What kind of game are you looking for? Want to try and survive in the wild against all odds while crafting some things? The Long Dark takes place in Northern Canada after some sort of solar event knocks out all electronics. Frozen forest. Much more focus on Survival.

The Long Dark is amazing, if for nothing else than the fact that unlike a lot of other survival games, Subnautica included, you can't just eventually craft your way to mega-powerful gear and make everything trivial. Wildlife and the environment can and will gently caress you up eventually.

So far it's the only game I've found where a can of baked beans and a tattered sweater is usually way more useful loot than an actual firearm.