Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
We still have JJ S3 to pick over the bones of. We may not have found the bottom of the barrel yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I think most people are basing the scarring on what they see in media and not real life. I have one long scar across my brow from a car wreck as a child over 25 years ago and I still think about the scar everyday when I see myself in the mirror. I’ve brought it up to people and they have said they didn’t notice until I brought it up. I have no idea if they are lying or not. I think people are not looking at this tv show independently from the comic book. Has the TV show at all referred to him at all as Jigsaw? He’s a guy with psychological wounds as big as his physical wounds.
That being said, I agree with everything else about everything else.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 1, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Completely failing to make a villain called "Jigsaw" into a scarred mess (who has the defining physical trait of being scarred and disfigured and carrying a lot of animosity towards Punisher because of it) really shows that the people in charge of the show either don't give a poo poo or don't get it at all. It's just so weak

For real. The LEAST they could have done was have him look in a mirror a few times and see a horribly disfigured monster which might have been interesting in a "this is how he sees himself way" but, no. We got people on a bus *GASP* at the mere sight of him like he was naked Deadpool or Two Face.

I think maybe they just stopped giving a poo poo because they knew the cancellations were imminent.

cosmicjim posted:

I think most people are basing the scarring on what they see in media and not real life.

No, they're basing it on the fact that dude got his face raked over a broken mirror like a cheese grater and that his disfigurement was supposed to be central to his character.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 1, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Considering how much of a wet fart Russo's arc was, I wish all of season 2 was about Pilgrim. The character wasn't exactly extremely well-written (felt pretty underwritten to me, to be honest), but he grew on me largely due to the actor's performance. They could always keep the psycho therapist and cast her in a different role story-wise, like... I dunno... an anti-Curtis who makes Frank indulge his worst impulses.

I mean, at the very least, that would help me rationalize why they decided to end the show on a triumphant show of the Punisher shooting low-level criminals. I guess they think that the status quo is actually VERY GOOD? But that doesn't explain why Madani became a CIA operative. It's a mess in terms of tone and politics, feels like a 180 from the first season.

There are still a whole bunch of aspects of the season that I enjoyed. Episode 3 was incredibly good. Curtis was a great presence. Pilgrim chews the scenery every time he's in a scene. But I dunno. Overall, a disappointment.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 18, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Before I started this season of Punisher someone in the thread called Pilgrim “Bargain Bin Sean Penn” and I wasn’t able to shake that out of my mind for the whole season. It’s uncanny.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bust Rodd posted:

Before I started this season of Punisher someone in the thread called Pilgrim “Bargain Bin Sean Penn” and I wasn’t able to shake that out of my mind for the whole season. It’s uncanny.

Tiny bit like the LA Noire doubt meme guy too.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Bust Rodd posted:

Holy poo poo I can't unsee it now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm watching The Defenders, and I haven't seen the Iron Fist series but every scene with this guy in it is hilarious. I'm at this scene where he walked into Sigourney Weaver's company and is acting like this huge edgelord all "I'M THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST AND I'M ONTO YOU!" and it is so goofy. This guy is such a moron, is Iron Fist also an idiot in the comics?

edit: his action scenes are also way lamer than Daredevil's

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Iron Fist's 1st season includes a scene where the man who has spent a lifetime training with ancient monks to the point where he was able to fight and defeat a literal dragon has to have calming techniques explained to him by a night shift nurse while having a panic attack.

Edit: It also features a scene of some archival footage of one of his predecessors fighting, and he's so much more accomplished than Danny (including being able to use all his limbs as "Iron" as opposed to Danny's one) it is hilarious.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
In my humblest of opinions, Marvel should have consolidated the best talent and all teh funds to make one or two really good Marvel shows instead of making more and more mediocre ones. I really wish they would have done a better job with Daredevil because it started out so strong

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm watching The Defenders, and I haven't seen the Iron Fist series but every scene with this guy in it is hilarious. I'm at this scene where he walked into Sigourney Weaver's company and is acting like this huge edgelord all "I'M THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST AND I'M ONTO YOU!" and it is so goofy. This guy is such a moron, is Iron Fist also an idiot in the comics?

edit: his action scenes are also way lamer than Daredevil's

Tge backstory is word got around hollywood that the production if Iron fist was a disaster under scott buck and to avoid it at all costs so that tge guy who is iron fist , from game of tgrones, either didnt get the memo or was the only name to apply. Its why hes both horribly miscast and a horrible actor.

Then Buck made Inhumans.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Why do these talentless morons who tank everything still get more work in TV and Movies? Is it because they're really good at blowjobs? Or because everyone in hollywood is drugbuddies with eachother so they keep calling in favours

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The story is Buck will complete work under budget and on schedule. To a lot thats all that matters and why i frequently compare him to Chuck Austen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

Why do these talentless morons who tank everything still get more work in TV and Movies? Is it because they're really good at blowjobs? Or because everyone in hollywood is drugbuddies with eachother so they keep calling in favours

1) Men's club that will "take a risk" on male talent over and over even if they are coming off a string of failures, while a woman in the same position with one low-performing movie or show will be exiled to the wilderness for years, if she ever comes back at all.

2) It's not what you know, it's who you know (true just about everywhere)

3) It is seemingly impossible for anything to end Bryan Singer's career, for example, which does everything but confirm that there's a child sex ring or something

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've mentioned this before, but a friend of mine periodically works as a casting assistant in Hollywood. And yeah, Marvel is notoriously strict with how they handle their scripts.

Even for TV, agents/assistants walk over to a random location, hand over their cell phone, and then have a limited amount of time to read the side for whatever side they're currently looking to cast.

Marvel's contracts are pretty heinous and super-limiting, to the point where actors occasionally ask to not be considered for the roles. They also don't pay all that well either.

Anyway, pretty much every agent would go over and see the Iron Fist excerpt and immediately tell everyone else to avoid the project like the plague.

To be fair, Jessica Henwick has had a pretty great run from IF, so its not the worst career move to make.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
My name is Buck and I'm here to gently caress

up your media franchise

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So Finn Jones had been cast as the lead in a new crime thriller about a criminal Psychologist whose dad was a famous serial killer but they recast him after the first table read of the pilot. Maybe he just totally sucks at acting and Marvel Netflix was the only place he could find a home. Never watched Iron Fist but I saw the Defenders and Luke Cage and he just comes off like... I dunno like a trope or a setpiece rather than an actor. Mike Colter is acting, Finn Jones is just talking.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ahahaha oh that poor kid. At least after Iron Fist bombed there was plenty of blame to go around, maybe his acting wasn't great but the dialogue and plotting were awful and they didn't give him enough prep time, so at least he could look himself in the mirror and say it wasn't all his fault, he was set up to fail. But getting cut from a nothing pilot after the first table read? Maybe he's just as terrible as everyone thought!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You forgot the best part: He got replaced by Tom Payne (Jesus from Walking Dead). :lol:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't hate Jones or anything but he definitely didn't leave much of an impression on me from GoT so I'm not sure how that was his jumping off point to a leading role. The fact that they were even considering casting anyone who didn't know any martial arts in in the first place for the lead role of an invincible kung fu master says more about how doomed that show was than anything else.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The show was doomed the moment Scott Buck was attached to it. Coulda filled the cast with Oscar winners and it would have still been bad.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It wasn't just casting a scrawny, inexperienced dude to play a martial arts master, but they literally gave him three weeks to prepare for the role. No amount of training is going to make someone competent in that time.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shoulda hired an actor with a dance background tbh.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Supposedly the drunken boxer from season 1 was a strong favorite for the role but he was vetoed by marvel higher ups.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Supposedly the drunken boxer from season 1 was a strong favorite for the role but he was vetoed by marvel higher ups.

I've heard similar things. And I honestly can't fathom why, other than race, they'd do that. Lewis Tan looks the part and his action and stunt work is loving great. And whatever acting I've seen him do in other projects seems...fine. He's not Daniel Day Lewis, but neither is Finn Jones (or Mike Colter, or most of the people on these shows.)

He dodged a bullet, though, yeah. Iron Fist was going to suck the moment they brought in Scott Buck. Maybe being thrown off that sinking ship will pay off later. Cast him as Shang-Chi or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jones was competent enough in season 2 and his teamup episode of Luke Cage, but drat, getting booted from a pilot after one read... not a good look for your future prospects.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This kind of weird poo poo happens all the time early on in productions. Tim Roth got Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead because Daniel Day Lewis started seeing demons or something and had to convalesce.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I haven't followed the behind the scenes production stuff for this, but could someone give me a quick rundown on who is Scott Buck and why is he to blame?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pingiivi posted:

I haven't followed the behind the scenes production stuff for this, but could someone give me a quick rundown on who is Scott Buck and why is he to blame?

He has a hilariously bad track record on his last three shows:

- Final season of Dexter
- First season of Iron Fist
- Only season of Inhumans

All of which were dire.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

More than one awful Dexter season tbf

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've heard, probably from this thread, that Scott Buck is who you call when you have to get your season of tv out like immediately and under budget, and all the talented show runners don't think it's possible. It will be poo poo, and no one will like it, but he'll make it happen.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I just browsed his Wikipedia and it’s pretty clear that that his work on Six Feet Under got him in the door at HBO and then they gave him Rome, which let him catapault to the good seasons of Dexter, and then once S4 Dexter dropped everyone just assumed he was a savant and he’s been churning out absolute garbage since then since it’s unlikely he’s ever working with anyone above him on the totem pole again so no one ever calls him out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, at the very least, that would help me rationalize why they decided to end the show on [spoiler]a triumphant show of the Punisher shooting low-level criminals. I guess they think that the status quo is actually VERY GOOD? But that doesn't explain why Madani became a CIA operative.[/url] It's a mess in terms of tone and politics, feels like a 180 from the first season.

One thing that bothered me was at the end, when Madini calls and asks Frank to join her at the CIA, and he says "Nope", and that's the end of it.

The very first arc of the Punisher MAX series was Frank being taken into custody to try and persuade him to join the CIA and kill terrorists. It was a brilliant story, and they flushed it down the toilet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That was probably the arc they were teasing, with the CIA being bad at taking "no" for an answer.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah that seems a sensible place for it to go, Frank would want nothing to do with working for the government again but now that he's killed everyone related to his family's killing three times over and twice removed, have him get caught by a CIA team and strongarmed into killing terrorists, since that's better than prison. Could have him doing it on his own, could put him in charge of a team ala Blade 2, and if they get real fancy then he's leading the covert group that takes out threats with some level of superpowers, kind of doing Shield stuff only with constant lethal force and going after real bad people.

I dunno, something along those lines seems like it would have been a fun way to go with another season.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Frank Castle vs Actual Supervillains would be an awesome season of television.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah that seems a sensible place for it to go, Frank would want nothing to do with working for the government again but now that he's killed everyone related to his family's killing three times over and twice removed, have him get caught by a CIA team and strongarmed into killing terrorists, since that's better than prison.

Then Frank finds out that his CIA handler is responsible for the big terrorist attack at the start of the season and is working with the terrorists, and then the rest of the season is him going after the guy in charge while fighting off CIA agents.

It's so clear it's like I've already seen it somehow.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Davros1 posted:

One thing that bothered me was at the end, when Madini calls and asks Frank to join her at the CIA, and he says "Nope", and that's the end of it.

The very first arc of the Punisher MAX series was Frank being taken into custody to try and persuade him to join the CIA and kill terrorists. It was a brilliant story, and they flushed it down the toilet.

Two weeks and I didn't notice that I hosed up the spoiler tags there. :argh:

Anyway, I have to admit I don't know much about comic book Punisher and his story arcs, but I'm kinda glad he just rebuffed Madini there. For all that I really disliked Frank's arc in this season, the TV character doesn't seem like the type of character who would work for the CIA, given his history and morals*.

* granted his morals and code didn't make any sense this season, so heeeeeeeeyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Well, in the comic he told the CIA to go gently caress itself.