Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Computer video games are literally literally a waste of time. Like books and movies and shitposting and hating anime. Whether I waste it doing A or doing B is irrelevant as long as I'm enjoying myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

You can waste time in VIII drawing from enemies, or you can waste time playing the card game over and over and over again, including figuring out who has worthwhile cards and what cards mod into. Pick your poison, they both require/waste a lot of time.

to get the stuff that you need to get through the game, you don't have to grind cards hardly at all. you can get 100 Curagas just by modding tents, which you can buy in any store and you get like 20 Curagas from one tent. that sets you for the whole rest of the game.

you get enough of the player cards through various quests/catching GFs that it's not generally hard to win the few cards you do need if you really want ultimas/triples/whatever, and you don't even need any of that until the end dungeons because I can't think of a single boss in the game before that that's so difficult that you'd really need 100 meteors junctioned to strength or whatever.

like I said, they seem to be enjoying it how they're playing, so good for them (in a completely sincere way), but it just sounds boring as poo poo.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

morallyobjected posted:

you get enough of the player cards through various quests/catching GFs that it's not generally hard to win the few cards you do need if you really want ultimas/triples/whatever

Except in the regions with the really dumb card game rules. God, gently caress that rule system and everything to do with it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Thread is good yo! Good games need to stop coming out, the posts about 8 are making me feel bad about starting it and switching over to other stuff (for like the 4th time in my life). I'm hype about the living laundry basket DLC bout to come out for 15 though

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

Thread is good yo! Good games need to stop coming out, the posts about 8 are making me feel bad about starting it and switching over to other stuff (for like the 4th time in my life). I'm hype about the living laundry basket DLC bout to come out for 15 though

I get why some people don't like it but VIII is my second favourite behind IX

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I haven’t really played an FF game past X (lots of the remakes tho) and I’m playing Crisis Core (again, enjoyable, seemingly not boring speeches like Type-0) and I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how it is that my Max HP is 3828 and I currently have 5464 HP and I’m on level 25.

Is this like grade inflation? I used to work in China and sometimes people would pay me to be a judge in horrible competitions and it was always implicit that everybody got a 9 out of 10 so winners were almost arbitrarily decided by fractions of fractions rendering the whole thing meaningless, never mind that after spending a whole day judging children you really don’t want to do it anymore and stop taking the whole thing seriously at all. Only other people do, and grandmothers like try to bribe the judges to give their kids a zero point one higher than they would have normally gotten and it’s just a huge exercise in futility.

Eventually in just learned to take the paycheck and decided wasting their time was something people enjoyed doing.

So when or where did this massive stat question inflation happen? I know max DMG is supposed to be set at 9999 but sprite-based FF games usually started you out as a weak character and let you improve rather than allowing you to summon fire demons and such with a swoon of your anime hair at any moment.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I remember really liking VIII. More than VII. I intend to replay it but the choppiness of the graphics and size of the environments seem like a big time investment in TYOOL 2019.

Edit: I tried VIII on my PSP and you actually have to remember how to navigate large areas in order to not get lost or forget where you were supposed to be going.

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 18, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I respect FFVIII a lot for trying something weird and new, even if it isn't really to my tastes (a game's not fun to break if it's THAT breakable), because I've always felt that an experimental failure is far more interesting than a boring success. It's something I like about Final Fantasy in general, really; taking weird gambles is part of the series DNA, going right back to the NES.

Hell, I'd say that my least favorite installment in the series, XV, gets that spot because it wasn't trying anything new or weird. It was a bog-standard blending of trends that were proven successes elsewhere, that weren't implemented very well.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

xv is a very weird game imo. 60% of the game is a driving sim where you cant drive

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Barudak posted:

Welcome to why people like FFVIII.

Oh at a certain point you'll be tasked to find the "white fleet". You can only go to that area once, as part of the story and after that you can never return. Make sure to talk to people on the ship, I dont remember which it is, but there is a person (maybe a book been years) which is one of only two places in the game where the settings backstory occurs and the setting backstory rules.

From memory it also has sensibly dressed women and isn't bad at doing guns in Final Fantasy like 13s and 15 are.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Finished FF4 sans Lunar Ruins and I'm on Disc 4 of FF9. Just beat Ozma whilst on the shitter, which is no more than that meteor-flinging gently caress deserves.

FF4 was really charming. I'm not a fan of ATB but it didn't hurt this game at all. Ive never had an FF villain call me an 'ignorant dotard' so points for that I guess. I plan on finishing the postgame later.

FF9 is also very charming thus far. The characters are mostly a joy, with only Amarant and Quina being kinda meh. They're fun to use in battle, at least.

After this ill only have 2, 12, 13, and 15 as FF mainline games ive never played. Ill probably wait for 12 on Switch, so it'll be between the other 3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyre all good the worst games in the series, Brent

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I respect FFVIII a lot for trying something weird and new, even if it isn't really to my tastes (a game's not fun to break if it's THAT breakable), because I've always felt that an experimental failure is far more interesting than a boring success. It's something I like about Final Fantasy in general, really; taking weird gambles is part of the series DNA, going right back to the NES.
I mean the cool thing about breaking FF8 is that like, frankly it's kinda boring to do. Contrast with, like, FF12, or for an even earlier game example, FF6, where you 'break the game' by just leaving the console on overnight. I don't know which one's more egregious actually - in FF12, you've gotta get through most of the game, but once you have enough gambits you can set up a little algorithm near a strong mob that spawns smaller things and go to sleep and wake up max level. FF6's easiest 'break' point comes from the river rafting scene before Ultros. Just set cursor to 'memory' and use a controller with a turbo button; you'll be max level next morning.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

Finished FF4 sans Lunar Ruins and I'm on Disc 4 of FF9. Just beat Ozma whilst on the shitter, which is no more than that meteor-flinging gently caress deserves.

FF4 was really charming. I'm not a fan of ATB but it didn't hurt this game at all. Ive never had an FF villain call me an 'ignorant dotard' so points for that I guess. I plan on finishing the postgame later.

FF9 is also very charming thus far. The characters are mostly a joy, with only Amarant and Quina being kinda meh. They're fun to use in battle, at least.

After this ill only have 2, 12, 13, and 15 as FF mainline games ive never played. Ill probably wait for 12 on Switch, so it'll be between the other 3.
Amarant gets some good character moments with Freya and Eiko, I think they do a decent job given how little time they have to develop him.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Amarant gets some good character moments with Freya and Eiko, I think they do a decent job given how little time they have to develop him.

'Meh' comparatively, I should have said. I did like his moments with Freya and Zidane.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Whalley posted:

I mean the cool thing about breaking FF8 is that like, frankly it's kinda boring to do. Contrast with, like, FF12, or for an even earlier game example, FF6, where you 'break the game' by just leaving the console on overnight. I don't know which one's more egregious actually - in FF12, you've gotta get through most of the game, but once you have enough gambits you can set up a little algorithm near a strong mob that spawns smaller things and go to sleep and wake up max level. FF6's easiest 'break' point comes from the river rafting scene before Ultros. Just set cursor to 'memory' and use a controller with a turbo button; you'll be max level next morning.

Eh, grinding isn't 'breaking the game', really, even if you can automate it. That's more just overpowering it, it's way more fun to find a weird quirk of the engine or some combination of moves that cracks it all open. Clever use of tools, rather than dogged persistence.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Speaking of characters, I knew very little about the FF8 characters before starting it and Rinoa being a Manic Pixie Dream Girl was kinda jarring and dumb but also funny just because of the surprise factor. And of course she is because Squall is a shithead who "probably just needs inspiration" and someone to look past/ignore his awful bullshit. The way Quistis puts up with his poo poo and does NOT tell him to gently caress right off after the "I don't want to carry others' burdens" line was lovely writing.

Selphie is the only character I don't hate so far.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Selphie is the games actual Manic Pixie Dream Girl though?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How can you hate Quistis. She great and does have a really good ice burn toward Squall on disc 3.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Squall shares more genuine moments of connection with Quistis than Rinoa.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The best romances in an FF game are Zidane/Garnet, Balthier/Fran, and Umaro/Mog

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Selphie is the games actual Manic Pixie Dream Girl though?

She doesn't fawn all over Squall so she really isn't in the traditional sense. MPDG is always the magical inspiration the dark brooding man needs to get past his issues. It's bad.

Selphie is just cute and fun and relatively care free.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Speaking of characters, I knew very little about the FF8 characters before starting it and Rinoa being a Manic Pixie Dream Girl was kinda jarring and dumb but also funny just because of the surprise factor. And of course she is because Squall is a shithead who "probably just needs inspiration" and someone to look past/ignore his awful bullshit. The way Quistis puts up with his poo poo and does NOT tell him to gently caress right off after the "I don't want to carry others' burdens" line was lovely writing.

Selphie is the only character I don't hate so far.

Congrats she literally does nothing the entire game

Apart from like trains I guess

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The best romances in an FF game are Zidane/Garnet, Balthier/Fran, and Umaro/Mog

Barrett/Cloud

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Congrats she literally does nothing the entire game

Apart from like trains I guess

The ugly mock up train car thing was funny though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

TheHoosier posted:

Barrett/Cloud

Zell/hot dog

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What about Quina/Vivi?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I really like Balthier and Fran's relationship. It's all backstory but they genuinely seem like a couple who love each other and have been together a long time and are comfortable together. It's the most adult and mature relationship in the series.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

She doesn't fawn all over Squall so she really isn't in the traditional sense. MPDG is always the magical inspiration the dark brooding man needs to get past his issues. It's bad.

Selphie is just cute and fun and relatively care free.

I mean, my point is Rhinoa isnt that either and the MPDG is not for a brooding man, its for an authors self insert aka a dull, professional man. Of the actual character traits an MPDG posses, Selphie has them she just isnt the love interest.

Squall is also not brooding so much as a child soldier who lacks healthy emotional coping mechanisms due to being, you know, a child soldier.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Vincent/Angst

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really like Balthier and Fran's relationship. It's all backstory but they genuinely seem like a couple who love each other and have been together a long time and are comfortable together. It's the most adult and mature relationship in the series.

I unironically agree.

Barudak posted:

I mean, my point is Rhinoa isnt that either and the MPDG is not for a brooding man, its for an authors self insert aka a dull, professional man.

Uhhhhh...

quote:

Squall is also not brooding so much as a child soldier who lacks healthy emotional coping mechanisms due to being, you know, a child soldier.

I get what they were trying to do with him and it's my understanding that English localization changed his character somewhat but ... whatever. He's insufferable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
selphie's three character traits are a) perky, b) trains, and c) a barely-concealed proclivity for hideous violence

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

selphie's three character traits are a) perky, b) trains, and c) a barely-concealed proclivity for hideous violence
She's an RPG character, they're all capable of cutting down thousands of living things.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unless them murdering people actually comes up as a plot point I just assume they're magically knocking them out.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah she owns and I would totally hang out with her IRL.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

She's an RPG character, they're all capable of cutting down thousands of living things.

Unless its FFX where I dont think the party kills a single living thing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Seymour was living, for a time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

No, you kill a bunch of Yevon soldiers

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

Holy poo poo FFX was just Fantasy Ghostbusters how come I never realized this until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

I would suggest playing ff2 on the gba or later, as the releases before that ive heard are pretty janky

I mean I guess ff2 gba is janky in it's own way but I'm a big fan of it so I guess it's jank I like