Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
part of me wants to grind to pirate legend (i'm like lvl 39 ish or even 40 across the board) but i also just love my scurvy bilgerat costume and unless the devs add some insanely good cosmetic poo poo i prolly won't be missing out on anything

also like the vast majority of ppl i bump into that are pirate legends suck at pvp because all they do is farm. it reminds me of the burning crusade expansion in wow where all the top geared players would stand around with glow-in-the-dark shiny armor but would keyboard turn like it was literally the first and only videogame they'd ever played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

also whenever i join a random galleon and the literal child squeeker asks me on the mic if i'm a legend i just say yes and they always believe my lies as i tell them to angle the sails for once in their lives

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The only pirate legend thing I use regularly is the belt and the title.

That said, being able to get gilded athena's voyage at Christmas and then complete it on the double xp weekend was dope.

The reality is at level 40 you're only half way there, so you're unlikely to be legend before the 20th for whatever present they give out, so you may as well chill a bit.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Thief posted:

part of me wants to grind to pirate legend (i'm like lvl 39 ish or even 40 across the board) but i also just love my scurvy bilgerat costume and unless the devs add some insanely good cosmetic poo poo i prolly won't be missing out on anything

This is me too, at 43/40/36, been playing since release. The only time I did missions was when it first came out and now only really for commendations/cosmetics. I do want to grind out to 40 merchant for the cosmetic ship stuff.

Kitchner posted:

The reality is at level 40 you're only half way there, so you're unlikely to be legend before the 20th for whatever present they give out, so you may as well chill a bit.

And this is my plan, last minute grinding is no fun even if I was closer to legend.

I've been loving around to chill and have fun during the reapers event, and my current fun plan is to use the brig solo as a guided missile into ships parked around wanderer's refuge, and so here is a story in Four Parts:

Part 1: The Chase.

They managed to beach themselves pretty well for a few seconds before they slipped off trying to run from me. I tried to get over to their ship but no dice, and mine sailed off so I was alone on the island.

Part 2: The Trap.

Found some fun stuff on wanderer's refuge so I waiting out in the ocean for the brig to come back.

Part 3: The Resolution.

They didn't see me until I was right at their stern and docked my rowboat, it was hilarious. I didn't even want to kill them(or their ship), I just wanted them to do the dance emote, and after some heated discussion, they did, and then id leave. But then one of them went from dancing to shooting and shot my barrel, but in the second before that happened I noticed another random person coming from the island with an explosive barrel (I think from a sloop I saw them fight earlier) and LMAO I tried to warn them with my dying breath. Funny as gently caress.

Part 4: Rinse and Repeat

This time at Wanderer's Refuge I was able to say hello and drop off my barrel, and as I jumped off they yelled at me TAKE THE MERMAID I WANT TO SEE YOU TAKE THE MERMAID, and I replied that I was here for a beach vacation and then they shot at me, the knaves! I sniped one and went inland, and then they looped around and with another barrel I got onto their ship, up to the crows nest where the barrel I gave them earlier was, oblivious to the guy standing by the wheel afk, and dropped my barrel to explode on deck and the barrel from earlier, sinking their ship, at the second or last leg of the mercenary mission at wanderer's isle. Good times on the Sea of Thieves.

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 17, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kitchner posted:

That said, being able to get gilded athena's voyage at Christmas and then complete it on the double xp weekend was dope.

Like 30 minutes for three athenas chests that turned in for 12,000 gold each lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just posted about this on our SFD discord so here's the play-by-play of this amazing pirate night we just had (Laziness, Tacitus, and myself in a brig)

I absolutely loving love this game. I haven't had this feeling of pure joyous fun in a game in so long.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I absolutely loving love this game. I haven't had this feeling of pure joyous fun in a game in so long.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

That sounds like hella fun, I wish I had a regular crew for stuff like that. :( But I get around with one or two friends, and trolling open crews.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea when a crew that has everything to loose being stupid and shooting a potential friendly alliance makes for some fun pirating.

I only got to play once solo this weekend and did # 4 of the 5 Reaper runs. Started out ok, game was against me with a headwind no matter what direction I seemed to go, but for the most part started out ok.

Another sloop is doing the same, friendly just trying to grind it out.

Then a Galleon show up and starts shooting because why not, I shout to them they can have the chest I dig up and if they kill me, well no chest for you.

After a few salvos they figure that's a good deal and let me live, but the other sloop wasn't having that and sped off.

My ship sinks because they decided to mess with it anyway, adding 30 minutes to my quest as I had to go get it to hit par 3 of 5.

I Told the Gallon I would let them have what I dug up, I didn't say I would dig them all the way up for them so if they didn't catch my *thunk* it was their problem (and I took a mental pic of where all my chest were thunked).

I also had a stash of chest I dug up before the galleon appeared and hoped nobody would find it later on. I wasn't initially caring if someone took all my loot or not, but of course I would appreciate if I got most of it back for the double rewards.

I zip off and back to get to part 5/5 and the Galleon is gone, another sloop appeared and is taking the galleon on full swing. I was partially impressed, either the Sloop was a pretty vet player, has a death wish, or the Galleon crew was really that bad. Either way I slunked to the other side of the island, dug up all the chest I had left as well as the ones I thunked earlier, even got my stash, and zipped out of there with nobody around. I think they got maybe 2 chest that I hit and didn't dig which is a pretty easy trade.

As I am heading to the Outpost I notice another sloop coming from the other side and doing some interesting angling, I decide to load everything into the rowboat and then paddle in with my sloop as decoy.

It seems to work, the other sloop sails around a bit, then heads away and I cashed in a nice chunk of change.

Moral of the Story, always have a Rowboat and never do the work for the other crew. (Also make a screenshot of your map so you can just go back to all the spots later).

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

EdEddnEddy posted:

(Also make a screenshot of your map so you can just go back to all the spots later).
I'm aiming to do basically the same thing tonight so thanks for the story and I'm kicking myself for not thinking about this sooner, I've lost some chests to this event that a screenshot would have saved

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've noticed that some people REALLY do not want to fight, and that if a sloop attacks a galleon, everyone assumes the sloop must be pretty good at pvp. My brother and I were on a sloop and we found a galleon fighting a skeleton ship, so I swing by and my brother boards them to see if they have any loot or TNT kegs to mess with. The skeleton ship loving wrecks itself on some rocks, getting roughly infinity holes in it, but the galleon is too busy chasing my brother around to steer back to the skeleton ship wreck, and I doubled back to it. They finally killed my brother, and then just kind of hosed off? So i just parked by the loot, we picked it up, and they ran away.

Also we did the reaper voyage thing and we just had one of us on the sloop sailing around the island, keeping away from the other ship, and the other one of us running around digging up the chests and harassing the other crew. It might be a bug, but you get attacked by poo poo about 10000 times more often with that voyage. Once we finished the voyage and went to turn in the last batch, we got hit with 2 aggro skeleton ships, 2 megs, a kracken, and a storm chasing us. We hit the nearest outpost and just barely had time to load the last of the treasure into our rowboat before the 2nd skeleton ship jig-balled us and our ship finally went down. The galleon already at the outpost didn't notice our rowboat and took out the skeleton ship for us.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
This weekend was double gold and double XP, right? My Pirate Legend buddy asked me to join him to grind out the Reaper Run quests and we did 4 in a row, which netted us over 100,000 gold each and took me from Gold Hoarders 41 to Gold Hoarders 47. :stare:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

BlackIronHeart posted:

This weekend was double gold and double XP, right? My Pirate Legend buddy asked me to join him to grind out the Reaper Run quests and we did 4 in a row, which netted us over 100,000 gold each and took me from Gold Hoarders 41 to Gold Hoarders 47. :stare:

Yeah it was. Best use of my gilded athena's ever. Stop at literally two islands, do some stuff. Get three athena's chests.

It took like 40 minutes and was the equivalent of doing 6 athena voyages, and since we managed to get a sloop on the same server 6 goons benefitted from it too. (two of them on the sloop only got 3 athena's worth of rep I guess).

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I'm jealous of Gilded Athena voyages being so short. I want to do my Gilded Gold Hoarders voyage soon (missed out on doing it in the double XP+gold weekend) and I heard it's going to be 8 maps spread all over the SoT world. :(

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

A Moose posted:

I've noticed that some people REALLY do not want to fight

I noticed this as well once the reaper voyages were first starting. Everyone was in alliances to grind it out. As the weekend was drawing down though, and most people had finished, I saw alliances of hostiles sailing around the islands looking to attack anyone. Anyone on that side of the map got sunk it seemed.

I don't really like the appearance of the reaper sails, so I mostly stayed in Devil's Roar doing merchant voyages for the rep. 2800/crate is pretty insane and I saw maybe 2 ships out there all weekend.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The reaper's run mission is basically impossible for the last day, because everyone who ground out all 5 runs is so mad about it that they're camping the island and stopping everyone else from being as special as them.

Also because I literally can't see it anywhere else anywhere, the cosmetics go away forever tomorrow right? Do event cosmetics ever come back?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

A Moose posted:

The reaper's run mission is basically impossible for the last day, because everyone who ground out all 5 runs is so mad about it that they're camping the island and stopping everyone else from being as special as them.

Also because I literally can't see it anywhere else anywhere, the cosmetics go away forever tomorrow right? Do event cosmetics ever come back?

Yeah gone at 10am wed when servers go down. Theyre also supposed to announce whats going to be in the major future update.

Event cosmetics havent come back yet but I'd guess someday they will, but maybe not until active development is done with the game and they just cycle in the cosmetics in a maintenance mode.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Well, people did get so mad about the cosmetics you got for joining a friend on the 'Friends Play Free' event (as opposed to giving the cosmetics to the giver), that Rare decided to make those cosmetics available for everyone in a later update.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The issue is whoever is attempting revenge now has nothing to lose. They might as well go full kamikaze. And they can attempt multiple times. Nothing sucks more than taking a skull fort from someone only to have them bumrush you multiple times on a fresh ship. Honestly its ruined the game for me, thinking about it makes me not want to log on.

That's some of the most fun in the game. They bum rush you with no supplies, you sink them -again- and laugh at them on voice chat.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

A Moose posted:

Just reserve yourself to getting no loot. Stop at the islands.. dig up the chests, if your boat gets sunk, whatever. Just takes a bit more time but is doable.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

New patch release notes: https://www.seaofthieves.com/release-notes

quote:

- new reaper's run of Shipwreck Bay
- new mercenary voyage of DR
- new mercenary voyage of Shores of Pplenty
- new gilded mercenary voyage of legends (!)
- new cosmetics for completing the above voyages

- anniversary shop items, hat + cannon for everyone, available in outpost shops
- anniversary cutless for everyone, added to armoury
- anniversary golden legendary tankard, hudry-gurdy, blunderbuss, sails, hull, figurehead for year 1 pirate legends

- tweaks to combat, weapon switching

- DR fort Molten Sands activated
- mercenary clothes now available for everyone (cosmetics from 'Friends Play Free')
- mouse+keyboard support on xbox
- chatpad support on xbox
- new player onboarding
- better afk'ers detection

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Also while we can't post about it here it's worth remembering that everyone can opt in for access to the test servers now and there's some cool poo poo there.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbTaMStHIM

Interesting.. I spotted..

- Shooting down masts
- Fishing
- Harpooning Megs
- Underground cave / mazes / traps for missions
- Star Navigation?
- Town halls/Guild halls?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

diapermeat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbTaMStHIM

Interesting.. I spotted..

- Shooting down masts
- Fishing
- Harpooning Megs
- Underground cave / mazes / traps for missions
- Star Navigation?
- Town halls/Guild halls?

Whoa fishing looks cool, lots of cool stuff. Looking forward to it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I was kinda worried about how it'd do after the first month or two but I'm glad SoT is popular enough to keep getting cool poo poo like this :unsmith:

I'm unreasonably interested in actually getting to open my own treasure chests.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Have they done anything with the land combat yet? A friend and I really enjoyed the chill nature of just running voyages and we played it at launch and about 5 months ago for a month or so and get what we needed out of it but every time we had to fight hordes of skeletons it became a slog. The melee combat was so terrible.

We did enjoy the hell out of fighting those skeleton ships, though. The two of us manage to beat them down in our dumb little sloop and it was fun figuring out how to use the AI against it, where the ships would rubberband, how to delay the next wave from spawning in and all that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Jimbot posted:

Have they done anything with the land combat yet? A friend and I really enjoyed the chill nature of just running voyages and we played it at launch and about 5 months ago for a month or so and get what we needed out of it but every time we had to fight hordes of skeletons it became a slog. The melee combat was so terrible.

Combat has been tweaked for balancing but like if you're hoping for more than "click to swing sword, click to block with sword, hold click to lunge with sword, and hold block and jump to dodge" it's probably never going to be more than that, or if it is it would be a very long way away.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Caidin posted:

i too am also very interested in opening your treasure chests

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Combat has been tweaked for balancing but like if you're hoping for more than "click to swing sword, click to block with sword, hold click to lunge with sword, and hold block and jump to dodge" it's probably never going to be more than that, or if it is it would be a very long way away.

what I wouldn't mind seeing is some sort of system where you could actually carry around a special weapon like an item. Like the fabled boarding axe we keep dreaming about that lets you pull planks off of walls or whatever. You could store it on your ship when it's not being used, but you have to actually take it out like a banana or a cannon ball and if you die to drop it. Could be a way to implement weird or powerful weapons without them being especially OP.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

Caidin posted:

It's interesting to see them adding the ability to do it finally. I'm curious how they will implement it. Could be that if you open one at sea you get heavily penalized, or maybe you have to find keys on islands, or maybe you can only open them at an outpost.

Kitchner posted:

I'd personally like to see some way to riposte in combat. Seems simple enough on it's own, but would change the whole melee meta and not just in pvp.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have to sort of agree..

https://twitter.com/Bad_Dps/status/1108449517194698755

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

brothertim posted:

It's interesting to see them adding the ability to do it finally. I'm curious how they will implement it. Could be that if you open one at sea you get heavily penalized, or maybe you have to find keys on islands, or maybe you can only open them at an outpost.

Opening the boxes is like the monopoly of the Gold Hoarders, maybe you'll have to get one by like... stealing it off a special gilded skeleton ship affiliated with them?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Caidin posted:

Opening the boxes is like the monopoly of the Gold Hoarders, maybe you'll have to get one by like... stealing it off a special gilded skeleton ship affiliated with them?

I suspect gold hoarder chests won't change because only they can open the locks. It will likely be chests for quests or other types of loot I guess.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

drat now I want a wee crab pet :allears:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I was just finishing a solo sloop session - I've been grinding for 250 OoS voyages - when I saw the skull cloud up nearby and figured 'why the hell not'. Sailed over, immediately got pelted with cannonballs. Luckily, I was joined at the last second by a buddy who helped maneuver the ship into a safe spot, and together we went to town slaughtering all the skeletons. It was surprisingly straightforward, and you never felt like the odds were unfair (are forts balanced against the type of ship you bring, like the Kraken and the Meg?).

Nobody showed up at all, and we got a ton of loot and it sold for quite some gold+rep. Maybe I should do this more often - I usually ignore the forts to avoid PVP, but I guess it's worth the risk if you can get it done quick.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

turns out living in shipwreck bay and using it to intercept pve whales then juking other ships that dare chase me into it has finally paid off now that the tourists are visiting

do thieves' haven next :pray:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Ok my last story was crap, but I got a much better one this time. I was closing out on turning in some cheap loot, watching my ship sink after a job well done, and I was about to log off, when *pop* a sloop loads in. Right on the outpost I was standing at. Custom sails, hull, this was not a noobie ship.

So I did what any pirate would have done: I hid on the crows nest. Sure enough: two dudes appear, hop on the ship and set sail for what seems like a very specific course. After a few minutes, they stop at an island. I can spot a blue mermaid and a villainous skull in the water. But on closer inspection, it's not just a skull - it's a pretty big stash of loot! They load everything up and continue in roughly the same direction.

Not a minute after this, a skeleton ship pops up. And a Meg. All hell breaks loose. Meanwhile I'm still tucked in the crows nest. I had half a mind to just ask them for help with the Tactical Chunder achievement, but decide to wait and see where this goes. They arrive at Crook's Hollow, where they drop anchor for some reason. This was a very dumb decision: the cannon on this island immediately starts firing at them. Meanwhile, a second skeleton ship surfaces and also starts laying into them. So now there's fire coming in from three directions, and they soon run out of planks. One of the guys shoots himself off to kill the island cannon and get more planks. A downward spiral of patching holes, shooting at the two skeleton ships and bailing water starts. They don't seem to think about raising their anchor.

After about 15 minutes of this, they sink (of course). I try to hide under water, while they seem busy carrying their loot to shore, probably to come get it later (like they must have been doing before). They don't notice me and I start drowning, so I surface. I see my mermaid popped up, and then it hits me: I can probably get back to my ship and beat these guys to their own loot!

So I hop on the mermaid, spawn in, sail back to Crook's Hollow, and sure enough: there's a neat stack of loot on the beach. I'm nervous as hell, pick out the best loot and leave the rest behind. I load up a skeleton captain chest, a shipwrecked captains chest, a villainous skull and a trinket, sail to the second-closest outpost (ha-ha!) without incident. I leave behind some tea, an empty chicken coop and a blue mermaid gem. My loot sells for 3k gold.

I wonder if they later realized when half their loot was gone, if it was stolen or just thought it despawned.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

That's a pretty good adventure! I often wonder myself if the victims of one of my sneaky sneaks even appreciates what I went through to get their stuff or if it just generates a post on the bug forum and a salty pirate but either way it feels really good to pull it off.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

The payoff the monumental, just keep it up. Sometimes me and my crew will row across the sea to another island to board a boat, throw out all their treasure and eat their bananas.

There is nothing better than the bewildered attitude on voice when someone finds a couple of fat guys on their boat, eating bananas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

they say hunger is the best sauce but they've clearly never tried banana banditry