Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

d’aw, does somebody have a crush on Guyovich?

i was obviously talking about baloogan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i'll have you know that an unnamed poster ITT is working in beijing on an unspecified job and logs in every day via a VPN to discipline un-harmonious posters bc internet restrictions are for the local plebes and not woke waiguoren such as himself

sa isn't blocked and i've said this multiple times to you specifically you miserable cretin

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

It was, at least for a while. Either the Taxman or whoever does SA's DDOS protection - I think it was Cloudflare - seemed to have it set to basically reject all traffic from China as potential spam/DDOS (lol) so it would time out at the "checking browser..." page.

Now it works but I have to do a captcha the first time, which means the Awful app still won't work without a VPN :argh:

Edit: to be fair it was technical incompetence, not the Great Firewall that was blocking access.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

R. Guyovich posted:

sa isn't blocked and i've said this multiple times to you specifically you miserable cretin

you wouldnt be a very effective admin if you couldnt see embeded tweets though

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

d’aw, does somebody have a crush on Guyovich?
he is handsome

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Known Lecher posted:

It was, at least for a while. Either the Taxman or whoever does SA's DDOS protection - I think it was Cloudflare - seemed to have it set to basically reject all traffic from China as potential spam/DDOS (lol) so it would time out at the "checking browser..." page.

Now it works but I have to do a captcha the first time, which means the Awful app still won't work without a VPN :argh:

Edit: to be fair it was technical incompetence, not the Great Firewall that was blocking access.

Yeah I had to do a captcha (per day? per ip?) when I was in China too. I figured it activated the Pooh's third eye and all my keystrokes were recorded. Awful app worked because I was using Sprint's free roaming.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I've seen Guyovich irl and I can confirm that he's hawt. :swoon:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

never thought i'd say this but i think i preferred the concentration camp apologia itt if the alternative is SA mods flirting with each other

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
you can copy and paste twitter links into slack to view them

i also think its hilarious the new york times is blocked but the white power post isn't, despite being identical in tone and ideology

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
good news

https://twitter.com/ccpecknold/status/1104809047495241728

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Get used to it, white man.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

that's funny and all but the guy is full of poo poo. nothing got "replaced"

https://twitter.com/CIAspy/status/1105126958785052672

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
love getting corrected by @CIAspy

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Truga posted:

love getting corrected by @CIAspy

who better?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Known Lecher posted:

i don't think a site blocking china counts as it being blocked by china tbh

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Prav posted:

i don't think a site blocking china counts as it being blocked by china tbh
Yeah, I had to do a captcha to access SA while in noted repressive censorship regime Czech Republic.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

frankenfreak posted:

Yeah, I had to do a captcha to access SA while in noted repressive censorship regime Czech Republic.

They were just czech-ing if you were a human :dadjoke:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
China has discovered we live in a society

https://mobile.twitter.com/PDChina/status/1106265663369371654

Fallen Hamprince posted:

poopkin figured me out, i'm youtube's 5th most popular falun gong youtuber QiLord92. now i have no choice but to destroy you all with my 5000 year old scientologist interpretive dance routine

Man this reimagining of the water margin took a turn

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

That's misleading. The toddler would also be on some sort of device.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
by the way, water margins is objectively the greatest of the four chinese classical works

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/did-china-just-put-our-sex-education-to-shame_us_58e30768e4b02ef7e0e6e01b

Good things on the sexual education front in China.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

R. Guyovich posted:

putting the free CCP propaganda right next to the free Falun Gong propaganda is very “marketplace of ideas”

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

R. Guyovich posted:

fitting that falun propaganda is in "black box" because their entire cult shi Hei!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Translation: “What to do if you are approached by an Internet forum moderator.”

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
This is cool and good.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

:thunk:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 23, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

sincx posted:

The CIA substation is in the forums.

sincx posted:

Galaxy brain: R. Guyovich is CIA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That's pretty good and downright surprising that they're taking a progressive line on consent and LBGT issues, apparently.

Probably someone up top realising that it's actually most convenient to just tolerate sexual minorities since they're clearly making an effort to reshape culture to their convenience already.

That said, like a lot of things in China, remains to be seen how they're actually used in practice.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's pretty good and downright surprising that they're taking a progressive line on consent and LBGT issues, apparently.

Probably someone up top realising that it's actually most convenient to just tolerate sexual minorities since they're clearly making an effort to reshape culture to their convenience already.

That said, like a lot of things in China, remains to be seen how they're actually used in practice.

the ycl is much, much more progressive on lgbt issues than the party leadership and has a good amount of influence even post-hu jintao. i anticipate we'll see more developments like this as that generation gets promoted into higher positions.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the air pollution in Beijing now feels like a bad day in a major US city and not life threatening like it did ten years ago

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I especially like how there's a video about China cancelling Cameroon's debt while also warning everyone else about China's "debt trap"

Iirc, the Cameroon video is about how their Cameroon debt cancellation is a fraction of the total debt, and that the debt trap is still real. I don't see why it's so hard to believe that China would use lending money as part of their foreign policy strategy. The West has been doing it for forever.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CountFosco posted:

Iirc, the Cameroon video is about how their Cameroon debt cancellation is a fraction of the total debt, and that the debt trap is still real. I don't see why it's so hard to believe that China would use lending money as part of their foreign policy strategy. The West has been doing it for forever.

how could china do this to africa

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:same:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

1) lol pevin unironically quoting world bank figures
2) that is for the entirety of sub-saharan africa. Chinese development projects are mostly located in Algeria, Ethiopia, Kenya, Angola, and Nigeria. Algeria is, as you probably know, in Northern Africa, so it wouldn't be shown on that chart. In addition, sub-saharan africa has 49 countries and China is only focusing on a small handful with strategic benefits, so no poo poo the numbers are so big.
3) China is not part of the OECD and has no requirement to specify financial agreements. Any information that we get is extrapolated (generally) from western sources and we won't know the specific payment agreements unless the country being loaned to makes them public.
4) payment for debt is going to be taken from natural resources, as said countries are usually underdeveloped, hence the need for loans for infrastructure. natural resources are commodities and can fluctuate, which can gently caress up debt payments and lead to China being able to get strategic resources for literal pennies on the dollar. see: the Hambantota deepwater port in Sri Lanka, which is a great way to put enormous pressure on India, a regional power. Weirdly this is almost exactly what Britain did with Hong Kong in the 1890s for almost the exact same reasons. :thunk:
5) not all of the debt has to be Chinese. Just enough to be able to wring concessions out of whatever country you're dealing with and having the power to back those threats up, as well as the countries being totally ignored.Here, look at this

quote:

Data shows that from 2014 to 2017, the Export-Import Bank Of China issued loans of more than 930 billion yuan (148 billion U.S. dollars). By the end of March, outstanding loans lent by the bank to countries along the Belt and Road was more than 810 billion yuan, up 29.7 percent year on year.

Li Ruogu, former chairman of the Export-Import Bank Of China, said that a major challenge of carrying out the Belt and Road Initiative is a serious shortage of funding.

Based on China's experience in the past 40 years, the total investment in its fixed assets was estimated at more than 500 trillion yuan. The total population of the Belt and Road regions is three times that of China, and the combined land area is about four times that of China, which means the demand for investment will be much greater, he said.

Wang Yiming, deputy director of the Development Research Center of the State Council, said the Belt and Road regions are mainly developing and emerging economies, which are relatively weak in economic strength and financing capability but heavily in debt.

In this regard, experts suggested that it is important to mobilize as much funding as possible for countries along the Belt and Road, meanwhile, those countries should make policies that are conducive to attracting foreign investment.

Wang said the PPP model applied in Belt and Road related infrastructure projects had worked well in recent years. With a flexible operating mechanism and the concept of a win-win development, it has the potential to attract more social capital.

Statistics show that since the Belt and Road Initiative was proposed in 2013, Chinese banks have participated in more than 2,600 related projects, issuing loans totalling over 200 billion U.S. dollars.
6) You can ask for things other than money as collateral. The west generally doesn't do this because they don't give a poo poo. China can leverage this into ownership of specific companies or extraction rights in exchange for debt reduction, or land and construction rights. China got a PLA base in Djibouti on the Bab-el-Mandeb straight near a US base thanks to belt and road; it's a great way to keep an eye on international commerce, gives them force projection in Africa, and lets them keep an eye on an important US base on the region. It's a massive win for Xi on all fronts for what is otherwise an extremely small upfront payment.
7) you're a literal han supremacist pevin, you'll support anything china does no matter what

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Mar 19, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

i don't know why i put in the effort to write that

anyway your view of china depends on whether you view belt and road as china benevolently helping african nations or them trying their hands at economic imperialism

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this is mostly crap. read the recommended literature on the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CountFosco posted:

I don't see why it's so hard to believe that China would use lending money as part of their foreign policy strategy. The West has been doing it for forever.

This is exactly why it's a bullshit talking point. Nobody's out there producing epic raps about the World Bank Debt Trap, just like how people bring up the spectre of the Social Credit System as a harbinger of looming Chinese "authoritarianism" completely oblivious to both the governmental and privatized panopticon that we live under everywhere else.