Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this weekend i rode my bicycle 70 miles and ordered a new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this weekend i rode my bicycle 70 miles and ordered a new one

bad rear end.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hello...

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
welcome friend

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i spent 48 hours in a desert with no wifi or compute last week and it was very good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

blessed

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
sudden desire to get up from my desk and go up to a cabin somewhere. just sit on a dock and drink beer and look at a lake.

don't do anything meaningful, productive, etc. just sit on my rear end.

look at that fuckin' lake.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sdoots posted:

sudden desire to get up from my desk and go up to a cabin somewhere. just sit on a dock and drink beer and look at a lake.

i have good news for you: if you work tech you don't do anything meaningful or productive right now

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sdoots posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_zS_uiPWxs

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Stymie posted:

i have good news for you: if you work tech you don't do anything meaningful or productive right now

ive been working to make educational web content fully accessible to blind/deaf/otherwise impaired individuals for the past year

last weekend i saw 5 bighorn sheep, about 30 bison, and a zillion elk. i also soaked in yellowstone hot springs. feels good man.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm going to boulder, colorado (nw of denver) next week to look at homes and scope out my new employer

i hope i get to take one day to just do nothing and go loaf about outdoors somewhere, there's zero reason to do that here in vegas because it's all shithole desert and City®

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Roosevelt posted:

ive been working to make educational web content fully accessible to blind/deaf/otherwise impaired individuals for the past year

last weekend i saw 5 bighorn sheep, about 30 bison, and a zillion elk. i also soaked in yellowstone hot springs. feels good man.

that's cool, you could actually teach them instead which would be far more useful

congrats on camping though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

i am proud of you for this. this is very good

sometimes i feel my job helps people but on the other hand I often really hate it 🤷‍♂️😂🤷‍♂️

Stymie posted:

that's cool, you could actually teach them instead which would be far more useful

congrats on camping though

maths I think is notoriously difficult to teach well, and yet there are a few who manage to teach it extremely well. I often think then, it would be better to get this one person who is good at it, to record their lessons and put them on youtube, and then people all around the world could benefit from this, rather than just those privileged enough to be within speaking distance of those person

maths is just an example. same holds true for many things really. I think if I was a teacher I might be happier and I hope if I do go down that path that I learn from the best on how to teach the mathematic

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the best method of teaching is in person and converting some videos is a poor substitute

if you want to do it as a side hobby in lieu of camping, more power to you, but it would still be better to be an actual teacher

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bump this thread every time you just want to leave tech behind and quote stymie

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stymie posted:

the best method of teaching is in person and converting some videos is a poor substitute

if you want to do it as a side hobby in lieu of camping, more power to you, but it would still be better to be an actual teacher

i know a lot of people who have failed to grasp math (or similar) concepts due to poo poo as gently caress teaching, so I think your claim requires a lot of qualification, the best youtube is better than the worst teacher

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*gets molested by catholic elementary school teacher*

*gets comforted by stymie, as he reminds the child that this is the best he can ever hope for*

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've had plenty of terrible teachers that did a worse job than YouTube at explaining concepts to me so I'm not sure I buy it either

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the answer is to then have more teachers, not fewer so you don't have to seek out videos since you didn't have access to good teachers

believe it or not, tech isn't the solution

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

don't worry, after spending the last decade in secondary and post-secondary educational IT I can assure you that virtual teachers and videos won't be assessed on merit but instead how easy it is to get the 64 year olds on their last year to shut up and use it, and how good it looks on the coordinator's resume for their next job

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“real teaching has never been tried”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
of course I think real teachers are better because they can actually help students one on one but I also believe in the power of that one unique person who can open someone’s mind to a concept that a million dorky teachers can’t

I failed calculus at school, not because I wasn’t enough of a brain box to not get it, but because the teacher never explained why or what purpose it served, if I had something to help me “get” it, I would have been sweet and maybe not the loser I am today

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

to clarify, it's not just about transcribing teaching videos and lessons. it's also making university websites and resources accessible so that more people are able to gain access to human teachers and programs.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
cool cool, you could do that in between classes

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I want to do things like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55QhizGZKLw

because it seems extremely chill

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

thank you for your support. the bike is cyan/robin's egg blue and i want to get a cool cyberpunk theme going but $$$

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
discovered some kind of program where u do 9 weeks intensive learning then teach for 2 years while they pay you then u a teacher 🤔🤔🤔

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I am disappointed with everyone quoting stymie

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I really want to govplay outside but I spent 5/6ths of my life touching a computer. Its all I know how to do. its loving depressing.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Colonel J posted:

I really want to govplay outside but I spent 5/6ths of my life touching a computer. Its all I know how to do. its loving depressing.

Walking through the woods is super easy you just need legs that work

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that’s pretty ableist imo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ofc it’s kinda hard to make a wilderness park accessible without really altering it

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
I’m going to finish work and go ride my bike in the sun today - even if it’s only 50 out

on Saturday I’m going hiking in the mountains and on Sunday I’m going to help some locals build mountain bike trails.

that will keep me going through the work week

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I need to go on a hike before the wildflowers die out

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
going up to my friends cabin this weekend but might just walk around in the woods with my dog again instead of skiing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

would you spend a night

a night in the woods?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Silver Alicorn posted:

would you spend a night

a night in the woods?

Are we talkin haunted woods or what?

Is this a requirement for me to inherit the woods from my dead uncle's will?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

my last week until 5 weeks of leave :hellyeah:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ADINSX posted:

Are we talkin haunted woods or what?

Is this a requirement for me to inherit the woods from my dead uncle's will?

no, but there might be some crimes and a severed arm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
went into the mountains with my best ski buddy yesterday

spring is coming, it was only -5C on top and felt downright warm skinning up in the sunshine