Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

He's been doing it for over a decade, so I figure if that's the case then he certainly took his time to make that decision. Maybe he just got tired of dealing with Sega's corporate bullshit -- they are notoriously hostile to one another in that company and will actively sabotage one another over petty slights.

Really? I hadn’t heard that. Are you talking about 90s era Sega when SoJ and SoA were mostly autonomous and were at each others throats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They've never made up. SoA and SoJ hate each other to this day.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Whitehead & co. are teaming up and bringing that Telltale dev back to bring us Sonic 3D Blast Mania.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It'd almost be worth it for the Tee-Lopes remixes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Sonic Mania team forming their own studio has no real bearing on whether or not we get a Sonic Mania 2. It’s just that if they’re involved the logo that shows up at the beginning would be this:

instead of this:

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 18, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dabir posted:

They've never made up. SoA and SoJ hate each other to this day.

The degree to which SOJ screwed over SOA in the mid-late ninties was really quite impressive.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It was a situation where I can't say I liked how either side looked. Kalinske's accounts are full of self promotion and stuff, but he made a lot of objectively bad decisions of his own while in charge of SoA.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My favorite bit of the whole story is how Kalinske worked with Silicon Graphics to make a new GPU for the new sega system, but SOJ wanted to stick it to Kalinske so they shot down the deal to go with a more expensive japanese chip.

SGI was left holding this new GPU with no console to put it in, but then Nintendo showed up and OH HEY OUR NEW 64 BIT SYSTEM NEEDS A GPU AND YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE ONE NEAT.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wasn’t a lot of the Japanese corporate culture revolving around vain, petty old men?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Wasn’t a lot of the Japanese corporate culture revolving around vain, petty old men?

This but present tense

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

https://games.sega.com/survey/

Sega is running a survey if you feel like telling them you want more poo poo like Sonic Mania.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

My favorite bit of the whole story is how Kalinske worked with Silicon Graphics to make a new GPU for the new sega system, but SOJ wanted to stick it to Kalinske so they shot down the deal to go with a more expensive japanese chip.

SGI was left holding this new GPU with no console to put it in, but then Nintendo showed up and OH HEY OUR NEW 64 BIT SYSTEM NEEDS A GPU AND YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE ONE NEAT.

lol that owns

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pants Donkey posted:

This is different from American corporate culture?:confused:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

This but all of recorded history forever

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean Kalinske basically helped make a book that's more or less an ad for what a great CEO he was and how he made Sega a success, so.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I filled out the survey and told them, in a shorter amount of words, that I really appreciate their attempts to rethink the platforming/running gameplay fundamentally, like with Lost World, and I hope they keep experimenting while aiming for something will appeal to the speedrun community.
I think it would be cool to have more modern sonic games that become GDQ highlights like Super Monkey Ball is. I dunno what the right gameplay would be, but anything can be a recognizably Sonic game as long as it involves going fast.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I told them to make the Newgrounds Sonic hentai games canon.

Actually I told them to make more stuff like Sonic Generations minus the classic sections, and to make more stuff like Sonic Mania.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

At the end it asks what merchandise you'd want them to make so I requested SEGA bread.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Detective No. 27 posted:

At the end it asks what merchandise you'd want them to make so I requested SEGA bread.

gently caress can i go back and change my answer

i just wanted inexpensive collectable figurines to decorate my computer desk and/or use as monsters in D&D

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I left a message on Puyo Puyo to bring back Madō Monogatari, which the characters came from.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Should have asked for a Mean Bean Machine sequel, but with Sonic AND puyo puyo characters.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dehry posted:

I left a message on Puyo Puyo to bring back Madō Monogatari, which the characters came from.

Sega doesn't own Madou Monogatari, it's owned by another company which has most of Compile's non-Puyo catalogue.

They made a new one a few years ago, it's on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/836760/Sorcery_Saga_Curse_of_the_Great_Curry_God/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sega doesn't own Madou Monogatari, it's owned by another company which has most of Compile's non-Puyo catalogue.

They made a new one a few years ago, it's on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/836760/Sorcery_Saga_Curse_of_the_Great_Curry_God/

It's also complete poo poo and the characters are obvious expys of Puyo characters but without things like "actual humour" or "charm".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, I figured the Compile Heart and Idea Factory logos on the trailer said more than I ever could.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Compile Heart is the successor company to Compile

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yes, but their actual connection to the old Compile is spurious, especially nowadays, and almost everything they've ever made is trash.

They don't own they old Compile IP, either - they're owned by a company called D4 Enterprise, so somebody else could make another Madou or whatever if they really wanted to make it happen.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I asked them to make Titan Tails canon

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not like Sega couldn't just make "The New Misadventures of Arle Nadja" as a first-person RPG. The characters were the best part of Madou Monogatari; they don't need to use the name.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They do character-heavy stuff with Puyo Quest on mobile, the story mode in the last 3DS game, etc. I don't think there's any desire or need to directly replicate Madou.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I asked them to translate SeGaGaGa and include it in their eventual Dreamcast Classic mini-console.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I keep asking for another chu chu rocket and God won't listen

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Zelder posted:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Zelder posted:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zelder posted:

Why the gently caress did they remove it from the App Store. It worked pretty well on phones.:smith:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DaveLuty/status/1109126680927444992

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

This is exactly the quality I'd expect from SEGA

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
New here, where does the thread title come from?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheNamedSavior posted:

New here, where does the thread title come from?

There was an argument about how Sonic Mania plays and that was the pithy response.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Two Beans posted:

I was sorely disappointed that Sonic Mania didn't play exactly like Crusader Kings II.

The thread was talking about differences in how Sonic and Mario games control, and then this post happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-YAs4-a45U