Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's a good explainer of the soil thing? Is it just that it won't support mass farming anymore? We've made it inhospitable to life as we know it? Something in between?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kobayashi posted:

What's a good explainer of the soil thing? Is it just that it won't support mass farming anymore? We've made it inhospitable to life as we know it? Something in between?

the soil is literally being washed away as it's being pumped full of water and fertilizer to sustain capitalist agriculture. since cycling crops and similar medieval methods are simply not as profitable as filling your land full of fertilizer and water and grow monocultures, capital decided it's better to turn all our arable land into a loving desert to make the number go up for a few more years.

only question right now is, what's going to run out first, soil or phosphorous fertilizers, both are being depleted real quick lmao

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
What depresses me isn't human extinction, it's that we're taking everything else down with us, except maybe some of the more hardy bacteria. Also the untold suffering of billions but that will last a much shorter time in the grand scheme of things and I can always just think of how many of them didn't care or believe in this until they started starving/being blown by category 9 winds/burned or frozen to death by the air around them.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Truga posted:

the soil is literally being washed away as it's being pumped full of water and fertilizer to sustain capitalist agriculture. since cycling crops and similar medieval methods are simply not as profitable as filling your land full of fertilizer and water and grow monocultures, capital decided it's better to turn all our arable land into a loving desert to make the number go up for a few more years.

only question right now is, what's going to run out first, soil or phosphorous fertilizers, both are being depleted real quick lmao

So it's mostly an "erosion" problem caused by capitalist inefficiency? Do we know how to sustainably farm for 8 billion people, or is poo poo more dire than that?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Kobayashi posted:

So it's mostly an "erosion" problem caused by capitalist inefficiency? Do we know how to sustainably farm for 8 billion people, or is poo poo more dire than that?

we wont have to farm for 8,000,000,000 :)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kobayashi posted:

Man we don't even know how to farm sustainably for 4 billion people.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
oh poo poo the Amish were right this whole time

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Kobayashi posted:

No one knows bc it's these very techniques that have engendered that population, we've never tried to feed 8 billion people without industrial agriculture

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

1. Natural gas, which is the main ingredient of fertilizer, isn't going to run out soon.
2. New soil is constantly being produced as the tectonic plates push the mountains up, causing rock slides.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Truga posted:

We should do both. Probably not in parallel, action to fix poo poo is incredibly urgent right now, whereas going out can happen whenever, but the fact that it's easier on earth doesn't mean we shouldn't also try to colonize other bodies. Mainly because the night view on a saturn moon would be loving amazing, but still.

Bit of an aside but I imagine that by the time you can colonize Mars, you'd have no real reason to.

At that point, you can design optimal habitats in space. Any habitat other than optimized stations would constitute slumming it / roughing it.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

qkkl posted:

1. Natural gas, which is the main ingredient of fertilizer, isn't going to run out soon.
2. New soil is constantly being produced as the tectonic plates push the mountains up, causing rock slides.

that's not how soil is produced. it takes thousands of years of weathering to produce a few inches of soil, and if you kill all the fungi and insects and turn the planet into a desert it will take even longer or never happen

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Admiral Ray posted:

Man we don't even know how to farm sustainably for 4 billion people.

Mayor Dave posted:

No one knows bc it's these very techniques that have engendered that population, we've never tried to feed 8 billion people without industrial agriculture

Yikes, welcome to the climate change thread, I guess.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
'Wait what are you saying constant earthquakes making mountains move isn't actually a real thing'
yeah that's just your mom moving around

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kobayashi posted:

Yikes, welcome to the climate change thread, I guess.

Should be the new thread title imo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Climate change: gently caress

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

qkkl posted:

he said specifically phosphorus fertilizers, which are primarily mined

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
rock slides will save us from arable soil depletion is a next level take

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Man we should start an actual death cult now, because no one should ever let humanity escape this planet and destroy another one, the only moral thing to do if there ever was a generational ship would be to bomb it before it left Earth's gravitational pull.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

thats not candy posted:

that's not how soil is produced. it takes thousands of years of weathering to produce a few inches of soil, and if you kill all the fungi and insects and turn the planet into a desert it will take even longer or never happen

lol gonna be living on tatooine real quick.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Man we should start an actual death cult now, because no one should ever let humanity escape this planet and destroy another one, the only moral thing to do if there ever was a generational ship would be to bomb it before it left Earth's gravitational pull.

human beings somehow managing to both kill this biosphere and escape to another is easily a worse outcome than our species dying out here, yes

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
think of how awesome it’s gonna be when we shoot down the rich people spaceship trying to escape earth

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Mordor She Wrote posted:

humankind building a successful colony ship would require such a radical change in human nature that climate change would be long solved

the death cult is what we're doing as an industrial civilization right now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

human beings somehow managing to both kill this biosphere and escape to another is easily a worse outcome than our species dying out here, yes

the earth's on fire so we're moving on
better find another one cuz this one's done
waiting for the magic of the scientists' love
to push push push push pull us up
spend some time floating round in outer space
find another planet, make the same mistakes
our minds all shattered when we climb aboard
hoping that the scientists can find another door

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the universe is a giant cosmic annihilatrix of incomprehensibly destructive forces, stars blowing up, planets smashing into each other or getting thrown into the void to slowly freeze in the great, unending dark

it doesn't loving matter in the slightest if our highly complex virus manages to make it off this rock to another, or not, you moralizing dweebs

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you fool, you imbecile, you utter clod.
there is absolutely zero difference between good and bad things

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

that's not what i said fucker

i said nothing matters

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

qkkl posted:

What's the net flux of soil regeneration vs soil usage?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

you: a bunch of scared tryhards trying to figure out how to prevent the inevitable

me: a stoned slacker concerned with maximizing my gaming hours before time of death

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Percelus posted:

you: a bunch of scared tryhards trying to figure out how to prevent the inevitable

me: a stoned slacker concerned with maximizing my gaming hours before time of death

But enough about the yang gang.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lol, gently caress Idaho, Mozambique just got flattened by a cyclone with over a hundred thousand "affected" and has another three days to go before the flooding eases.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

does pollution count as climate change? :thunk:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

think of how awesome it’s gonna be when we shoot down the rich people spaceship trying to escape earth

like 9/11 except there really will be dancing in the streets

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Dead Beef posted:

does pollution count as climate change? :thunk:

Climate change isn't the threat, Total Biosphere Collapse is. I tried to have the D&D thread title changed to that for two iterations.

IMO "climate change" is too narrow a threat and gives people the comfortable illusion that if we just keep temperatures low we can continue the business of industrial society as usual. When in reality doing so will still destroy everything beautiful and worth living for on this planet.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Rime posted:

Climate change isn't the threat, Total Biosphere Collapse is. I tried to have the D&D thread title changed to that for two iterations.

IMO "climate change" is too narrow a threat and gives people the comfortable illusion that if we just keep temperatures low we can continue the business of industrial society as usual. When in reality doing so will still destroy everything beautiful and worth living for on this planet.

You are right.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

there was one of those discovery channel "documentaries" which was like, what if a neutron star collides with earth, and in it the rich people lead by not-elon musk decided to make an unsafe antimatter rocket and it blew up on the launch pad

yeah that absolutely would happen

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Amazing takes I've enjoyed reading from elsewhere that I'm sure will also draw a smile from everybody here:

Losing 95% of insects by biomass is no big deal, they aren't going extinct after all there's just fewer of them

Climate change doesn't cause extinctions and shouldn't be worried about, animals just move to places they can inhabit while others move into those newly available spaces

We can't lower our farming output under any circumstances because it'll cause poor people to starve; food waste is unavoidable and as good as it can get anyway

Soil depletion is no big deal since soil manufacturing exists - that'll just scale up naturally as it's needed, and distributing it won't be an unsolvable problem anyway

Further growth and industrialization will naturally be mitigated by increasing efficiencies in greenhouse gas production

And of course my favorite - melting glaciers, drying rivers, and depleting aquifers aren't a problem since nuclear power plants, desalination plants, and pipelines for moving fresh water inland have decades yet to be built before it's a major problem

Thus the world is saved and nothing need be changed infinite capitalism forever hooray

we're all gonna die and it's gonna be funny as hell

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

CODChimera posted:

I'm starting to agree with the poster who said we should speed it all up.

ecodestructionalist accelerationism

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

people itt literally pining for the politics of that onion future news leader dealing with setbacks of the particle beam bomb made specifically to annihilate the earth

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Socks4Hands posted:

ecodestructionalist accelerationism
humans are a disease and this is the cure :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

team eternal spreading spherical wave of space locust monkey orks forever and loving it