Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Barudak posted:

Unless its FFX where I dont think the party kills a single living thing.
If you are given an item that kills undead and it doesn't work on undead, then were they undead in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Barudak posted:

They kill Seymour. It just takes a while to stick.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

I feel like killing someone loses some of its impact when being dead is just like being alive except better

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Andrast posted:

I feel like killing someone loses some of its impact when being dead is just like being alive except better
The whole premise of that conflict was weird in retrospect.

"Hey guys - you can be dead, and still do alive stuff, but for longer and better, with One Weird Trick"
"nuh uh!"
"You can though I'm doing it right now"
"...i'll KILL YOU how DARE YOU"
"You already did remember"
"NUH GOTTA STOP YOUR PLAN"
"my plan is make everyone already dead so sin can't hurt us anymore"
"OH YEAH WELL I'M GUNNA DIE TO PUT OFF SIN HURTING PEOPLE FOR A LITTLE WHILE"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
if you get mad or upset enough when dead you apparently turn into a monster so that's pretty good incentive to not be dead

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really like Balthier and Fran's relationship. It's all backstory but they genuinely seem like a couple who love each other and have been together a long time and are comfortable together. It's the most adult and mature relationship in the series.

"I'd say that you're more like a... supporting role." This joke landed with me better than any other in the series because it's just exactly the kind of thing a couple that's comfortable with each other would say.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

I love how by the fourth fight, even the protagonists are tired of Seymour's poo poo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They aren't lovers. They're just good friends.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Sweet, sweet child of summer.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Be Depressive posted:

I used to work in China and sometimes people would pay me to be a judge in horrible competitions and it was always implicit that everybody got a 9 out of 10 so winners were almost arbitrarily decided by fractions of fractions rendering the whole thing meaningless, never mind that after spending a whole day judging children you really don’t want to do it anymore and stop taking the whole thing seriously at all. Only other people do, and grandmothers like try to bribe the judges to give their kids a zero point one higher than they would have normally gotten and it’s just a huge exercise in futility.

Eventually in just learned to take the paycheck and decided wasting their time was something people enjoyed doing.

Well now I'm curious

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

you kill a bunch of yevon warrior monks at yuna's wedding

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Super No Vacancy posted:

xv is a very weird game imo. 60% of the game is a driving sim where you cant drive

I wish the game just blasted any new players with a giant message that says SWITCH TO OFFROAD REGALIA ASAP because that's how you actually have fun with the open world, I feel sorry for those who played at launch

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tonfa posted:

I wish the game just blasted any new players with a giant message that says SWITCH TO OFFROAD REGALIA ASAP because that's how you actually have fun with the open world, I feel sorry for those who played at launch

I Platinumed the game before that was ever patched in. I actually kind of liked it? Like it was definitely disappointing but I liked driving around listening to FF music, eating food at the camps and looking at today's pictures.

Also I say Platinumed but actually I got every single trophy except for the "Get Survival to 10" one where you had to put a rubber band on a controller and I was like... what am I actually doing here.

I always expect to go back to it, I would really like to see all the changes they made and I always felt like one day the finished version of FF15 would be a very good game.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I actually got the survival trophy before getting the cooking or fishing trophies.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I would suggest playing ff2 on the gba or later, as the releases before that ive heard are pretty janky

I mean I guess ff2 gba is janky in it's own way but I'm a big fan of it so I guess it's jank I like

The PSP version has more added dungeons (No idea to their quality) and I'm using it for my replay. Good to know you can still snap the game over your knee the moment you get Minwu.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Whenever I get around to replaying 6, should I play the mobile version or just stick with the SNES version?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TheHoosier posted:

Whenever I get around to replaying 6, should I play the mobile version or just stick with the SNES version?

GBA version with the sound fix

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The SNES version is buggy as hell and has weird english, the GBA version has not great sound (even with the fix it's a bit lower), lower field of view than originally intended, and messed up colors because they were compensating for the GBA screen, and the mobile version's graphics are an abomination unto god and destroy some of the best pixel art made for the 16-bit era.

You can patch the GBA version's color and sound, although neither is quite as good as the original as far as I know, but that patched version is probably your best bet, with the improved translation and fixes.

(The GBA also messes up my favourite musical moment in the entire series: the coda at the end of the credits. They added the GBA credits without lengthening the magic, so instead of the coda playing over the final post-credits scenes of the world coming back to life, the music finishes up while the credits are still playing and then the scenes show in silence. I don't know if the sound hack fixes that.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 19, 2019

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

TheHoosier posted:

The SNES version has been fine for me so far, granted I had to refresh my memory of the various bugs about it beforehand. That being said the mobile/steam version's graphics aren't as horrendous as people make it out to be, it's fine, and that version has most if not all of the GBA version content and QoL stuff.

EDIT: and if you don't like the graphics of the new version you can just mod it, apparently...

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 19, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

Sony Playstation home computer system version :kheldragar:

e: Oh that's not the smiley I meant to use but :shrug:

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Don’t listen to anyone who hasn’t played it. The mobile ports of VI are the exact same as the original under the hood.

The graphics aside from the 3d towns on the map are just fine.

People lose their poo poo for no reason.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Don’t listen to anyone who hasn’t played it. The mobile ports of VI are the exact same as the original under the hood.

The graphics aside from the 3d towns on the map are just fine.

People lose their poo poo for no reason.

Being ugly as gently caress is a legitimate reason to not play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the mobile phone graphics look like hot trash and people thinking they looked like trash apparently surprised SE.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
For what it's worth, the way they built the current FFVI version means that the Steam release is actually extremely moddable; under the hood it's essentially the Game Boy Advance ROM, and people pretty quickly learned how to work with that. I know you can replace all the character sprites with their SNES versions, and likely more, without too much trouble.

Apparently FFV's release is theoretically capable of the same, but I can't find if anyone's actually done an original sprite mod. Which is a shame, but if one of those two games had to take that hit it's better that it be V; its tone holds together better in that artstyle than VI's, and some of its job sprites actually look better, while VI's is basically a straight downgrade across the board.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Barudak posted:

You kill a bunch of temple guards on your way to rescuing Yuna from the wedding, if I remember correctly

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Barudak posted:

Yeah the mobile phone graphics look like hot trash and people thinking they looked like trash apparently surprised SE.

For what it's worth, the mobile ports were made by Matrix Software.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
are we just going to ignore all the Guado you kill in FFX or

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

are we just going to ignore all the Guado you kill in FFX or

Guados aren't people

If Wakka can be racist so can the rest of them

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I guess I’ll always be an apologist, since I have FFVI on my phone. In my pocket. Whenever I want.

And those graphics are just fine you goddamn spergs. I mean, they were wonderful on my SNES too, but it’s in a box in my basement and I’m not dusting that poo poo off.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Tonfa posted:

Keep feelin sorry cause as of Royal Edition they put it behind a quest line for Cindy that takes till..

e: looks like end of the game, Ch 15 to be able to complete it https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/87nn7s/question_about_the_regalia_and_ch_15_spoiler/

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 19, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I only ever used the regalia for its mandatory story uses and the achievement.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

teh_Broseph posted:

Keep feelin sorry cause as of Royal Edition they put it behind a quest line for Cindy that takes till..

e: looks like end of the game, Ch 15 to be able to complete it https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/87nn7s/question_about_the_regalia_and_ch_15_spoiler/
Wait in non-Royal edition I coulda been using the Best Car from the start of the drat game? Maaaaan.

e: You get the offroad version in chapter 8; that reddit link is talking about the flying car version.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The best off-road Regalia is my boy Boco.

I’m glad they gave you a chapter where the Regalia is gone, since I never would have chocoboed without it. I’m not going back, that world needs to be seen by chocoback.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeh I never used the truck after I got it anyway, fastest I was able to get around in a 100% playthrough was use the regular car to fast travel (or auto drive and look at my phone) to the closest spot to my destination, hop out and chocobo to go do whatever, then menu fast travel back to the car and use it to fast travel on to the next spot. At least once playing on PC from an SSD where load times are all pretty snappy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why in the world is Ivalice supposed to be pronounced "Ee-va-lees" that is truly absurd to me.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I like the on rails version better too it gives you a good opportunity to look at your phone

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I guess I’ll always be an apologist, since I have FFVI on my phone. In my pocket. Whenever I want.

And those graphics are just fine you goddamn spergs. I mean, they were wonderful on my SNES too, but it’s in a box in my basement and I’m not dusting that poo poo off.
SE said that is what they would look like at twice the size. An intentionally blurry and busty Locke. Sure.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

Why in the world is Ivalice supposed to be pronounced "Ee-va-lees" that is truly absurd to me.

Yeah it's dumb.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i want ffvi with ffiv complete quality sprites and an obscene amount of real time lighting effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The new FFVI sprites are ugly as gently caress and the perspective change on them is bad. Now they're all these rigid-armed, giant-headed pastel smears with enormous shoulders. Their walking frames have their hands past their knees like they're chimpanzees or something. Maybe the proportions are similar to the to the original release, but a 24x16 sprite is a hell of a lot different than something double the size with even less shading.

Yeah, the maps and monsters look fine, but god drat that is some garbage character sprite work.