Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I know it was about the worst received of all the Fuji cameras, and it's value depreciated as fast as a luxury sedan but holy poo poo is the x-h1 a superb camera. It just works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sildargod posted:

I know it was about the worst received of all the Fuji cameras, and it's value depreciated as fast as a luxury sedan but holy poo poo is the x-h1 a superb camera. It just works!

Wow, you can get some great deals on it, the body with grip are on Amazon for $1300. Did the X-T3 just suck all the air out of the room for it?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
More like the X-H1 was stuck between two generations.

Frankly, I love mine and don’t feel left out with the X-T3. The new sensor is a pretty small evolution.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

qirex posted:

Wow, you can get some great deals on it, the body with grip are on Amazon for $1300. Did the X-T3 just suck all the air out of the room for it?

It’s an X-T2 with image stabilization, which I suppose most people didn’t need or at least didn’t believe was worth the extra expense, versus the cheaper, newer X-T3. Now they have a ton of unsold units that are on fire sale!

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Does XH1 shoot better video than XT3 or same?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Okay still on the “I need a different camera for certain applications” kick. General APSC vs m43 question I suppose, but is the sports performance of the X-T30 going to be that much better than something like the E-M10? As much as I’m lusting after the X-T30, I’m given to understand APS-C doesn't really work as a compliment to m43. Rather it would be a replacement.

My oldest plays soccer and futsal, and frequently trains at an indoor facility, so indoor light + action (per my other posts). I get good shots from the E-M10 outdoors, but it definitely shows its limitations indoors. I’m debating whether I should move to APS-C (thus the X-T30 probably), if it gives good enough overall performance-to-weight to also take it camping, mountain biking, etc.

Alternatively, I could stick with m43 for backcountry sports/travel and get a proper full-frame for lugging around to my kids’ activities. Though right now none of the full frame ecosystems seem that great? I'm not a big Sony fan, and it still seems like mirrorless FF is being sorted? Not to mention I don't love the idea of dealing with that much size/weight.

Lastly, I could just HTFU and keep practicing with the E-M10 until I figure out how to get the most out of it.

Thoughts?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Dangerllama posted:

Lastly, I could just HTFU and keep practicing with the E-M10 until I figure out how to get the most out of it.
This is usually the right answer and probably for you as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Okay still on the “I need a different camera for certain applications” kick. General APSC vs m43 question I suppose, but is the sports performance of the X-T30 going to be that much better than something like the E-M10? As much as I’m lusting after the X-T30, I’m given to understand APS-C doesn't really work as a compliment to m43. Rather it would be a replacement.

My oldest plays soccer and futsal, and frequently trains at an indoor facility, so indoor light + action (per my other posts). I get good shots from the E-M10 outdoors, but it definitely shows its limitations indoors. I’m debating whether I should move to APS-C (thus the X-T30 probably), if it gives good enough overall performance-to-weight to also take it camping, mountain biking, etc.

Alternatively, I could stick with m43 for backcountry sports/travel and get a proper full-frame for lugging around to my kids’ activities. Though right now none of the full frame ecosystems seem that great? I'm not a big Sony fan, and it still seems like mirrorless FF is being sorted? Not to mention I don't love the idea of dealing with that much size/weight.

Thoughts?

Your lens is going to be a far bigger factor than the sensor. indoor sports of any kind are always lovely light so you're going to need something that focuses fast, and at least f/2.8. That will not be cheap.

Full frame doesn't do poo poo if your lens is slow to focus and can't gather light.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Inside I shoot almost exclusively with the Oly 17mm f/1.8 or the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Inside I shoot almost exclusively with the Oly 17mm f/1.8 or the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7.

You may need more reach than that. Something like the 45mm f/1.8 or 75mm f/1.8 would be a start.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bobfather posted:

It’s an X-T2 with image stabilization, which I suppose most people didn’t need or at least didn’t believe was worth the extra expense, versus the cheaper, newer X-T3. Now they have a ton of unsold units that are on fire sale!

Also a bigger beefier body, so promise of being a “pro” body above the XT2, but coming out about 6 months before the XT3. Bad timing, but still a good camera and very capable.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

tino posted:

I hiked the white mountain with a 14mm/2.8. If I do it again, I would rent the 10-24 and bring an extra 360 camera.

If I hike with my kid I would just bring a gopro.

edit: wait Fuii released a 8-16mm 2.8? Apparently I don't follow Fuji news.

Optically the 8-16 looks amazing but it's huge as gently caress. I honestly wish they'd stuck with a smaller constant aperture or variable aperture and kept the size/volume more manageable. Especially since the relatively wide 16mm upper range pretty much necessitates bringing a second, longer focal length lens (while the 10-24 has just enough reach to be less of a compromise if it's the only lens I bring). I get that they want to differentiate it more from the 10-24, though.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

qirex posted:

I think the xt3 really killed any appeal in the xh1 for video, because by all accounts it's the superior video camera. That's fine by me, I got a truly amazing deal on my xh1 and even though I have an xt3, I am carrying the xh1 everywhere with me because it's just so good.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

sildargod posted:

I think the xt3 really killed any appeal in the xh1 for video, because by all accounts it's the superior video camera. That's fine by me, I got a truly amazing deal on my xh1 and even though I have an xt3, I am carrying the xh1 everywhere with me because it's just so good.

Can you elaborate the difference between XH1 and XT3 in shooting video.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Dangerllama posted:

Thoughts?

You could also look around for a used E-m 1 Mark II. The E-m 10 is an entry level body and it was never really designed for sports photography.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

tino posted:

Can you elaborate the difference between XH1 and XT3 in shooting video.

The xt3 is more responsive, has better face and eye tracking, loads more phase detect points, 60fps 4k at 400mbps, 10 bit 4:2:0 and 4:2:2, zebras, better rolling shutter performance, colour chrome and monochrome adjustment and gods know what else.

It's very much more suited to pro video work, when you throw it on a gimbal to compensate for the missing IBIS.

For me though, being as I don't do video at all, it's much of a muchness and the xh1 is comfier in the hand and has performance enough that all of that is irrelevant, plus I prefer the evf in the xh1 to the xt3.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
^^ Thank you. I will keep an eye on the XH1 when the ebay 15% code come around.

It's weird that Fuji release the XT3 better all around functions just 6 months later.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

as appears to be Fujifilm's way, the eventual XH2 with the XT3 guts inside plus IBIS is gonna be pretty rad as a "pro APSC" body.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Popelmon posted:

You could also look around for a used E-m 1 Mark II. The E-m 10 is an entry level body and it was never really designed for sports photography.

I just assumed that, given the same sensor, most of the rest of the (practical) functionality was going to be within the margin of error?

e: I mean sensor size. The E-M10 is only 16mp but has the same number of focus points (I always center focus and then move the framing FWIW since I’ve always found autofocus to be terrible at picking a subject), 5-axis IBIS. I wonder what about the E-M1 would be better for sports.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 19, 2019

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

em10 has 3 axis.

Em1/mkii uses a different method to track focus iirc, most noticeable with c-af

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Dangerllama posted:

I just assumed that, given the same sensor, most of the rest of the (practical) functionality was going to be within the margin of error?

e: I mean sensor size. The E-M10 is only 16mp but has the same number of focus points (I always center focus and then move the framing FWIW since I’ve always found autofocus to be terrible at picking a subject), 5-axis IBIS. I wonder what about the E-M1 would be better for sports.

That's exactly what the E-M1 was built to do, the continuous/tracking AF will be way, way better. The sensor might be similar but all the AF tech and processing is different. Also I'm talking about the Mark II, that one has a 20 MP sensor, not a big difference but every bit helps :)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

em10 has 3 axis.

The mark III has 5-axis. It was also given AF updates but I don’t know how those compare to the E-M1

Sounds like I should keep shooting with the E-M10 and see if I can make it work for me. The questions about APS-C and FF are maybe just FOMO more than anything.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 19, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Fwiw I pulled an EM1 Mk2 from Greentoe.com last fall for $1250, new.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

👏 MEGAPIXEL 👏 COUNT 👏 DOES 👏 NOT 👏 MATTER 👏 ABOVE 👏 LIKE 👏 7MP 👏

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

DJExile posted:

But…this one goes to 26.

(FWIW my concerns are mostly about sensor size rather than pixel count)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

(FWIW my concerns are mostly about sensor size rather than pixel count)

Yeah that's fair, but yeah your issues are going to be solved far better by a good lens and a body that's set to focus for fast motion. Sensor size will help ISO a bit but if you can't get good focus and your lens is slow then that's not going to matter.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

DJExile posted:

Spoken like a man with a 7mp camera

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

This is nonsense.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I prefer more megapickles. The small megapickels don’t taste as good.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
48mp phone, just saying.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

sildargod posted:

Same

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

DJExile posted:

That fills less than half a computer screen.

What are you talking about.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yeast posted:

That fills less than half a computer screen.

What are you talking about.

Sweet show me a camera that can take 5k video tia

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sweet show me a camera that can take 5k video tia

I'm talking about stills tho?

a 7Mp still is miniscule.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The whole "MP > 7 (or whatever number) doesn't matter line" is in reference to a couple things. a) It's usually enough for standard sized prints (like at least 8x10"), and can be fine for larger ones too depending on viewing distance. I used to shoot on a 6MP Nikon D70 and never had MP related print issues. b) It's also in reference to MP counts being used for marketing purposes on cell phones. First, it's more than enough MP for mobile device viewing. Second, the lenses on phones are too lovely to make use of the increased resolution (e.g. a 16MP phone pic is going to look like poo poo at 100% zoom).

Even when viewing stills on a computer, unless you are very close to a large display, you generally aren't going to notice if the image file resolution is lower than the display's resolution (especially if the pixel density of the display is very high). I've got a collection of 1080p photos that I use as wallpapers/screen savers on a 75" 4k TV, and even as close as like 5' (which is very close viewing distance for a screen of that size) the images look sharp.

With DSLR/Ms though, the catch is newer sensors typically have higher MP counts than older ones. So even though you might not need more than X MP for what you shoot, the higher MP, newer sensor still might be the way to go for other reasons (e.g. improved dynamic range, better high ISO performance).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey X100 bros: my accessory buying habit continues but I got one really good one: the incredibly awkwardly named OP/TECH Digital D Soft Pouch, Compact* is a neoprene pouch that exactly fits the X100F with a lens hood [I use the Haoge thin one], I also tried it with the factory-style JJC hood and it worked, albeit awkwardly. You can even get it in realtree camo if you swing that way. It's not waterproof or anything but it should protect against dings and scratches and it was under $20 even at the local camera store I went to [Samys in SF]. I was using the Peak Design field pouch and will probably still use it for rainy weather but the OP/Tech means I'll always have some kind of protection on it. I think it would also fit an X-E with a small lens.

* :flaccid:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

qirex posted:

Hey X100 bros: my accessory buying habit continues but I got one really good one: the incredibly awkwardly named OP/TECH Digital D Soft Pouch, Compact* is a neoprene pouch that exactly fits the X100F with a lens hood [I use the Haoge thin one], I also tried it with the factory-style JJC hood and it worked, albeit awkwardly. You can even get it in realtree camo if you swing that way. It's not waterproof or anything but it should protect against dings and scratches and it was under $20 even at the local camera store I went to [Samys in SF]. I was using the Peak Design field pouch and will probably still use it for rainy weather but the OP/Tech means I'll always have some kind of protection on it. I think it would also fit an X-E with a small lens.

* :flaccid:

Does it leave room for a strap to stick out? What about if you have a Lensmate thumb grip?

I'm taking my X100F to Coachella in a few weeks (apparently the only issue they have with cameras is whether it has a detachable lens), and it's probably gonna have to live in a daypack, knocking around with a bunch of random crap, so I could use some lightweight protection.

Edit: Just saw that it works with straps, but still curious about the hot shoe thumb grip

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It’s stretchy so it’ll probably accommodate the thumb rest.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Why is the thread title Sony, I am Dissapoint? I've sold off my Canon 7D and a bunch of lenses since I have stopped shooting any paid stuff for years now, and want something a lot smaller and more modern for travel, photos of my kid and dogs, and poo poo like that. The A6300 or something along those lines with a decent zoom looks to be pretty good for that at first glance. Am I way off base? I there something much better? I've got about $1500 to spend, and will probably want body, regular zoom, maybe a 50mm 1.8ish prime, and I'll probably pick up a third-party flash. Planning to get body and lenses used. Happy to hear if another system might do what I want better as I haven't bought any new camera gear in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pbpancho posted:

Why is the thread title Sony, I am Dissapoint? I've sold off my Canon 7D and a bunch of lenses since I have stopped shooting any paid stuff for years now, and want something a lot smaller and more modern for travel, photos of my kid and dogs, and poo poo like that. The A6300 or something along those lines with a decent zoom looks to be pretty good for that at first glance. Am I way off base? I there something much better? I've got about $1500 to spend, and will probably want body, regular zoom, maybe a 50mm 1.8ish prime, and I'll probably pick up a third-party flash. Planning to get body and lenses used. Happy to hear if another system might do what I want better as I haven't bought any new camera gear in years.
The thread title is just a pun, although many people seem disappointed in e-mount lens selection. I'd say maybe also include Olympus or Panasonic in your search, there's a ton of cheap micro four thirds lenses out there.