Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tell me more about this phone-controled opener. Is it an add on I can buy for my existing system or do I need an entirely new unit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Tell me more about this phone-controled opener. Is it an add on I can buy for my existing system or do I need an entirely new unit?

Yes you can add this capability to most existing door openers.

On the subject of garage door openers one of mine died last year and I replaced it with a belt driven model and I am never looking back. The belt doesn’t make anywhere near as much noise as the chain drive did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need to start looking at this. Is it just a module that I can connect to from my phone? I seem to recall an ad for one that had a monthly fee.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

beep-beep car is go posted:

We like Overhead Door openers. Our previous house had one that was installed in the early 90s and worked great until it died and we just replaced it with the modern version of the same one.

Our current place has a Craftsman and I’d not recommend it. It’s loud, it’s slow and it hangs down pretty far.

Noise and speed are dependent on model and drive type. You can have higher horsepower motors, and different drive types. Belt drive is the quietest. Chain is the cheapest and loud. Screw drive is most powerful and fastest (I don't recall how it does on sound). There's also the direct drive that hangs off to the side and attaches directly to the door.

Rhyno posted:

I need to start looking at this. Is it just a module that I can connect to from my phone? I seem to recall an ad for one that had a monthly fee.

Liftmaster / Chamberlain / Craftsman would be myQ.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Charles posted:

Noise and speed are dependent on model and drive type. You can have higher horsepower motors, and different drive types. Belt drive is the quietest. Chain is the cheapest and loud. Screw drive is most powerful and fastest (I don't recall how it does on sound). There's also the direct drive that hangs off to the side and attaches directly to the door.

Liftmaster / Chamberlain / Craftsman would be myQ.

I have two screw-types and they're not loud. There isn't any drive noise like a chain drive. The loudest noise definitely comes from the rollers.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

wallaka posted:

I have two screw-types and they're not loud. There isn't any drive noise like a chain drive. The loudest noise definitely comes from the rollers.

These quieted my doors down a ton. https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Life-R...ge+door+rollers

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

There's a guy just outside of town who has what is basically just a 6 car garage with a bungalow on top, he's my hero.

A carriage house. I kinda wanted to build one of those when I was picking a house plan for my place, but my mother threatened to disown me if I went ahead with it.

I'm not really sure why. I think they're rad.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Slung Blade posted:

A carriage house. I kinda wanted to build one of those when I was picking a house plan for my place, but my mother threatened to disown me if I went ahead with it.

I'm not really sure why. I think they're rad.

Ideal place:
Me
Dog
Cars, lots of them
That's it. :v:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Nice! I do have this tax return money...

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is there a standard dimension for "car with room to move around it"? Will be a good reference to have when I'm looking at listings. someone earlier said they had asked for 1k sqft, but I guess I have no mental image for size for that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mr. Powers posted:

Is there a standard dimension for "car with room to move around it"? Will be a good reference to have when I'm looking at listings. someone earlier said they had asked for 1k sqft, but I guess I have no mental image for size for that.

Here's the footprint of my garage. It's a 3 bay with 2 being 20' deep and 1 being 18' deep. I have 2' deep shelves at the back of the 2 bay and a 2' deep workbench at the back of the single. That means I can park something as big as a non-extended Escalade on the 2 bay and it's tight. I can park something as small as an MR2 in the single bay and it's tight.

But, I can park anything I want diagonally in the 2 bay and do anything I want.

Note that there's no "standard" for garage space. My dad has a 3 bay that is rectangular at 30x23 and, while the extra depth is nice, those missing 2' in width makes it really tight for him when he's got 3 reasonable cars in there, and when he had a Tundra, it was like sardine packing.

So yeah, there's really no standard, and unless you are lucky and can find dimensions on your county auditor site or some such, you may be just swinging in the dark.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr. Powers posted:

Standard 2 car is around 20x20 (400 sq ft.) +- two feet or so on either of those dimensions. You can work on a car nicely in there (assuming it's by itself), and park two in there but it's tight. Minimum to work on one car fairly comfortably I'd say is a 1.5 car garage.

1k sq ft would be a dream for most of us.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My garage is 22 wide by 27 deep. Even with shelves against one wall and a workbench on the other there's an ok amount of room to walk between them. I back in right up against the work bench and wife parks a foot or so from the shelves but we have room to open doors fully between cars.

Would I rather have it 27 wide, definitely. 22 is about the narrowest I think I'd want.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mine is i think 26 x 24, and with shelves on one side and 2 big vehicles it's a little tight to work on stuff.

I did at one point have two big vehicles and one smallish one stuffed in there though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mines like 8x21 I might be able to squeeze a go kart in there if I throw more crap away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You just park on the ceiling.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

One set of wheels up a few feet on the wall, go diagonal.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Thats a cool looking bandsaw.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mr. Powers posted:

Here is my garage, it's 30'x24.5'

I can pretty comfortably park 3 vehicles (including a full size truck) in it. and have a full row of 18" deep shelves on a side.

The stairs at the front of the garage take up room for sure, but on the side without any I can quite easily park my not-small bike. Otherside is where I have my workbench.

Excuse the mess.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

:sweden:

US products are usually at a pretty large premium. Especially "Made in USA" stuff and smaller companies like for the Quick Jack.

Verktygsboden maybe has some bootleg version of it that's cheaper, I recall seeing one there.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Mr. Powers posted:

I think older homes from the 50s to 80s tend to have a 2 car approximating, anywhere from 22' x 22' to 24' x 24'.where as newer ones are typically 20' x 20'.

Personally I would love to have a house with 3-car garage + shop.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 24, 2019

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Lift chat: if I get a house with garage space I'd like to use for a lift, I know some of the concrete will need to be dug up to repour with footings and thicker slab. Is there a place where I can find all the requirements of the space like the concrete details, ceiling height, etc?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

Lift chat: if I get a house with garage space I'd like to use for a lift, I know some of the concrete will need to be dug up to repour with footings and thicker slab. Is there a place where I can find all the requirements of the space like the concrete details, ceiling height, etc?

Do you mean where can you find the specs that the lift requires? Because that answer is the easier one, the manufacturer of the lift will have a technical specs sheet/pdf that details the concrete footings required.

If you are trying to find the specs of an already built garage you're basically SOL.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Do you mean where can you find the specs that the lift requires? Because that answer is the easier one, the manufacturer of the lift will have a technical specs sheet/pdf that details the concrete footings required.

If you are trying to find the specs of an already built garage you're basically SOL.

I guess I was hoping there were some general required specs for lifts by type rather than a specific manufacturer/model. I know concrete won't be right, but I can measure ceiling height, etc. Basically just looking for some quick checks when looking at houses that might help eliminate bad options.

I suppose I can do some research and pick a manufacturer/model of lift and just use their specs.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well if you are looking at 2-post lifts I took a glance at Bendpack (who seem to be one of the biggest manufacturers of lifts) and their shortest height requirement is 106.5" which means you'd want a 9ft ceiling or more. But yeah all depends on the lift you want and the lift of course depends on what sort of vehicles you want to be working on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When I was looking at hobby lifts, most seemed to need a minimum 4" slab of concrete. Where I live 5"+ is pretty much the standard floor for garages. Of course, YMMV as not all manufacturers will be exactly the same especially once capacities come into play.

Like was mentioned, most manufacturers have their manuals online so you can find specifically what the model you are interested in requires.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Well if you are looking at 2-post lifts I took a glance at Bendpack (who seem to be one of the biggest manufacturers of lifts) and their shortest height requirement is 106.5" which means you'd want a 9ft ceiling or more. But yeah all depends on the lift you want and the lift of course depends on what sort of vehicles you want to be working on.

BendPak has some good numbers for me to check, but it almost looks like I won't have to much. They have lift options for the "low" ceilings (9ft) [I know there will be garages with lower ceilings, but I wouldn't want a house with them anyway].

To be honest, I was expecting minimums to be 10-12' ceilings.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grabbed an hour here and there too keep organising the garage, small project planned but I need floor and work bench space so I tidied up the various chemicals

And started to organise the rolling cabinet under the drill

I need to dump another wheel barrow full of crap at the tip and decide what to do with the car seat, it was going in my son's room but that's now undecided.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It continues, but not very well. I spent 3 hours tonight trying to tidy and make sense of the garage and it looks a million times worse. I need a skip, possibly also an intervention.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Talked to a realtor about selling my condo/buying and she gets the whole "buy a garage that has a house" thing. Let's see how well she does

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

cakesmith handyman posted:

It continues, but not very well. I spent 3 hours tonight trying to tidy and make sense of the garage and it looks a million times worse. I need a skip, possibly also an intervention.

That's kinda how it goes, man. You gotta get all the poo poo out in the open so you can see what's there. First step of making a space look nice is making it look like poo poo first.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Turns out an Italian hatchback will do a passable impersonation of a skip. I took a poo poo load of wood, metal bits and other bulky crap to the recycling centre, donated a heap of baby stuff to charity and binned a bunch of stuff I otherwise couldn't get rid of.

Then the flat tyre on the wheelbarrow annoyed me again. I've been pumping it up and getting 5 minutes use it of it each time because I'm too cheap to buy a new tube and tyre. Then I noticed the old trailer tyres will fit the barrow rim and the tyre will just barely fit in the frame, so the barrow has off road stance now and should last another hundred miles easily :v:

The new found space let me get my bike down from the rack in the garage, I'm 100% more likely to ride it if it's just there. Then I tidied some stuff into the drawers under my drill and saw, again if I can just put my hands on it I'm more likely to use it. Feels like progress has been made.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You guys have recommendations for a really strong sealant/caulk that can be used over a gap in concrete and stands up to weathering and hot/cold cycles?

I've got about a 3/16-1/4" gap between my sidewalk and driveway and I'd like water to be able to flow over. I tried some stuff 2 years ago but just isn't weathering worth a darn.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

slidebite posted:

You guys have recommendations for a really strong sealant/caulk that can be used over a gap in concrete and stands up to weathering and hot/cold cycles?

I've got about a 3/16-1/4" gap between my sidewalk and driveway and I'd like water to be able to flow over. I tried some stuff 2 years ago but just isn't weathering worth a darn.

Sikaflex - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sikaflex-10-1-oz-Gray-Crack-Flex-Sealant-427706/203249445

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yep, this is what you want. I threw it on to seal up some cracks in my driveway and it's lasted well in Michigan.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The local guys recommended that stuff too. Thanks

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

T-5 days from listing my condo and a cable snaps on my garage door

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

T+2 days from listing and I've got offers. I've decided to look for a house with a lower budget, more land, and 0+ car garage. There is a local company that builds garages that has some very reasonable prices, so with a lower budget, I can look into a home improvement loan for the garage. I could probably build the garage myself if I had more time, but I don't want the garage to be my project, I want projects to be my project. Their price includes everything post-excavation (slab + finished building), but no utilities. Unless something absolutely perfect shows up (like the house I saw that sold back in February), I will probably go with this.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

T+2 days from listing and I've got offers. I've decided to look for a house with a lower budget, more land, and 0+ car garage. There is a local company that builds garages that has some very reasonable prices, so with a lower budget, I can look into a home improvement loan for the garage. I could probably build the garage myself if I had more time, but I don't want the garage to be my project, I want projects to be my project. Their price includes everything post-excavation (slab + finished building), but no utilities. Unless something absolutely perfect shows up (like the house I saw that sold back in February), I will probably go with this.

Just make sure they permit the work and that for you to get electrical run isn't some impossible to permit process. Also post excavation? Does that mean you have to dig out the footers before they'll pour the slab?

I loving love having a garage to work in so I approve of your plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Just make sure they permit the work and that for you to get electrical run isn't some impossible to permit process. Also post excavation? Does that mean you have to dig out the footers before they'll pour the slab?

I loving love having a garage to work in so I approve of your plan.

I still have research to do both with the builders and with for the 2-3 towns that are viable. I wish I could say there was a fourth town that was viable, but I have to grow my budget by about 25% to get a house in the last one.

Regarding "post excavation", from the brief read on some of the websites for the various builders, it sounded like the area needs to be prepped for the slab and that is not included. I suppose if I can get a nice level lot that there might not be anything to do, but New England has lots of hills, so reasonable chance of having to do some work.