Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

Sorry. What I mean is out of character dialog like this:

“I can contact him.”
“How? He’s kinda far away.”
“I have a spell I’ve wanted to cast for a while.”
“What is it?”
“It’s called sending.”

Even if we trust that this experienced table doesn’t know the Sending spell, that’s unnatural dialog; a real player would probably just say “I have a spell called Sending that could contact him.” The statement of the obvious (“he’s kinda far away”) and the QnA format with speaker changes is all just unnatural dialog to draw the audience in. Try just saying “I can contact him” and then going quiet waiting for someone to ask a follow up question at a real table and people will probably be rolling their eyes!

none of that seems unnatural to me, tho? from what i've watched mercer is trying to keep track of about a dozen things at any one time, so it doesn't seem strange to me that he would need the players to remind him of stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Serf posted:

none of that seems unnatural to me, tho? from what i've watched mercer is trying to keep track of about a dozen things at any one time, so it doesn't seem strange to me that he would need the players to remind him of stuff

Mercer wasn’t one of the ones speaking, though; that’s all between players. It would be much more reasonable if he was involved in that dialog, but that was 3 different players.

I remember similar things in KoDT:
GM: “There’s been a note left at your hotel saying ‘Lay off the south side or there will be blood.’”
DAVE: “I bet this is something to do with that hooch den we shook down last night.”

Dave has no reason to say that. Gee, you think it might be to do with the plot of the PCs actions and the event we just played 5 minutes ago? No, he only said it because the KoDT horizontal format (which CR shares) requires balanced speakers, and because the shakedown took place off camera so the audience needed to be informed.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

Mercer wasn’t one of the ones speaking, though; that’s all between players. It would be much more reasonable if he was involved in that dialog, but that was 3 different players.

I remember similar things in KoDT:
GM: “There’s been a note left at your hotel saying ‘Lay off the south side or there will be blood.’”
DAVE: “I bet this is something to do with that hooch den we shook down last night.”

Dave has no reason to say that. Gee, you think it might be to do with the plot of the PCs actions and the event we just played 5 minutes ago? No, he only said it because the KoDT horizontal format (which CR shares) requires balanced speakers, and because the shakedown took place off camera so the audience needed to be informed.

i mean it still doesn't seem unnatural at all to me. sounds like regular table talk

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah it's not really weird to frame abilities in character as "oh hey I can do a thing" as opposed to just reading the spell card or w/e

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Farg posted:

yeah it's not really weird to frame abilities in character as "oh hey I can do a thing" as opposed to just reading the spell card or w/e

Sure, but it IS weird to make an obviously pregnant statement (“I’ve got a spell I really wanted to cast..”) then just stop and wait for someone to ask the obvious question before continuing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

Sure, but it IS weird to make an obviously pregnant statement (“I’ve got a spell I really wanted to cast..”) then just stop and wait for someone to ask the obvious question before continuing.

some folks get annoyed by it, but i've met plenty of people who speak that way in certain scenarios

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

hyphz posted:

potentially. it could also totally make sense in character to want prompting or follow up questions in the same way people fish for those things in real life

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Rick posted:

As APs proliferate, I've definitely decided the "this D&D show is good, let's move it off the D&D system" impulse that fan bases have is not something that always should be necessarily listened to. My easy favorite is Friends at the Table, so I know great shows can come from other systems, so I'm definitely not a D&D system loyalist; I don't think anyone would argue that D&D is perfect but there are tables that it's a better fit for than any other system, and I think the same goes for shows.

I generally wish more people would try things that are not D&D, but I think the critical part of any worthwhile AP is that people be having fun roleplaying with their friends (well, I guess some of the people that play on One Shot don't always know each other, but, y'know, one shots.). And if the game they want to be playing is D&D, it's really not our place as the audience to tell them different.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

malkav11 posted:

I generally wish more people would try things that are not D&D, but I think the critical part of any worthwhile AP is that people be having fun roleplaying with their friends (well, I guess some of the people that play on One Shot don't always know each other, but, y'know, one shots.). And if the game they want to be playing is D&D, it's really not our place as the audience to tell them different.

It's interesting you bring that up. A D&D group doesn't automatically have my attention because it's never been my thing. I'm much more interested in a channel like Saving Throw Show that just finished up a really good Deadlands game and started on a new Savage Worlds setting (East Texas University) and also just started a mini-campaign of Mutants and Masterminds 3E. That's stuff we don't get very often. I'm also pleased by the rise of a bunch of Vampire: The Masquerade APs, even if I'm not so hot on using the newest edition myself. Another Twitch channel, Happy Jack's, just did a Tenra Bansho Zero one-shot of all things.

That said what really does carry through is like you say people having fun with their characters and that can draw me in no matter the system. (Also decent sound quality.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

It's interesting you bring that up. A D&D group doesn't automatically have my attention because it's never been my thing. I'm much more interested in a channel like Saving Throw Show that just finished up a really good Deadlands game and started on a new Savage Worlds setting (East Texas University) and also just started a mini-campaign of Mutants and Masterminds 3E. That's stuff we don't get very often. I'm also pleased by the rise of a bunch of Vampire: The Masquerade APs, even if I'm not so hot on using the newest edition myself. Another Twitch channel, Happy Jack's, just did a Tenra Bansho Zero one-shot of all things.

That said what really does carry through is like you say people having fun with their characters and that can draw me in no matter the system. (Also decent sound quality.)

Oh poo poo Deadlandes, ETU, and M&M? Where can I download this?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Saving Throw Show do video LPs which I mostly watch on Youtube, but I think they might be on Twitch also?

(I have a soft spot for them because they helped me out with promotion for the Pigsmoke Kickstarter.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

potatocubed posted:

Saving Throw Show do video LPs which I mostly watch on Youtube, but I think they might be on Twitch also?

(I have a soft spot for them because they helped me out with promotion for the Pigsmoke Kickstarter.)

Yeah, they're on YouTube and Twitch. SavingThrowShow is their Twitch channel.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

potatocubed posted:

Nifty, I'll check them out, looking at their playlists they seem to play tons of games I dig.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Caleb (Roleplaying Public Radio, Know Evil, God's Teeth, Red Markets, etc.) has been running a playtest campaign based on the book he is writing for Greg Stolze's Reign Second Edition.

The playtest is called Nagalisitu. There are three episodes out so far and it is both thrilling and darkly hilarious. It is what you get when you mix up Civilization 5 and The Black Company with fantasy in the Caleb-verse.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/tag/nagalisitu/

What is Reign?

quote:

Reign presumes you have a “company”—some organization of followers and property that the PCs govern. It can clash with enemy groups in a way that a rag-tag team of heroes just can’t, though the actions of the players’ characters usually offer big boosts (or penalties) to company rolls. If you take a whole adventure to set up your roll to change hearts and minds in a rival country, you’re far more likely to succeed. On the other hand, it also lets you play the kind of game you want by offloading some tasks onto your underlings. For example: Imagine a game with elements of investigation and elements of big hairy fights. One group that lives for detective work could do all their own spying, then have a mighty army for their company. Once they know where and what the enemies are, they just write a memo to the generals and have a lovely dinner on the back deck. A different group might LOVE the combat elements but find the spy stuff confusing or tedious. They could build a company that’s full of spies and diplomats, and use them to ferret out the secrets, which they then dispatch personally.

Reign uses Stolze's One Roll Engine.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/halmangold/greg-stolzes-reign-second-edition/description

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
On the subject of non-D&D podcasts, I figure I may as well mention the one I Keeper for.

The Call of Cthulhu Mystery Program

Classic era CoC. We incorporate some more elements of audio drama in series 2, with rerecorded lines and the like. I figured goons of taste and refinement might find it of interest.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Go figure, acting and improv skills turn out helpful for a table of RPGers. Who could have guessed.

I play with my wife and 3 of our friends who all have done and actively do theater. It's an absolute blast. We PCs don't really do voices (except when I'm making my Bard pretend to be fancy for nobles/royalty, in which case I do a terrible French accent) but everyone is happy hopping into character and playing their parts like their characters would. I remember selling them on it by saying "it's basically just theater with math."

It's also myself and 4 women so I think everyone feels very comfortable and safe, thus we can all act like goofballs around each other with no judgment.

Basically, yeah, being able to play a character in other mediums translates into more fun at the table.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
This show is absolutely enthralling, in no small part because it's the first actual play of Reign I've ever heard. Episode 2's Trial by Ethos was incredible.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"You can't keep making murderhobo decisions and expect me to not call you on them" is just :chefkiss:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Yeah I love Reign for that because while the world seems like the kind of place where murderhobos would thrive, it's somewhat antithetical to the central premise of what you're expected to be doing in the game, which is gathering followers and expanding the influence of your Company.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Hostile V posted:

"You can't keep making murderhobo decisions and expect me to not call you on them" is just :chefkiss:

"You keep giving me impossible choices!"

"WHERE DID I LEARN THAT ROSS?!?"

:discourse:

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

My comrades and I in the UK Indie RPG League have decided to try playing each other’s games and broadcasting them as a podcast. We’re starting with a campaign of Becky Annison’s Bite Me! - werewolves with messy pack dynamics in the English suburbs. You can check out game setup and the first episode here and the game is currently on kickstarter if you're feeling generous!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/roguetldr/status/1105345773603115008?s=19

Some good research by Polygon here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Woo doggy the comments in that article.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Six Feats Under's website host closed up shop a few months ago, and today we relaunched our new site. It's helpfully reorganized, and now has a search function. It's one of the best ways to follow our new Monsterhearts 2 mini-campaign: https://www.sixfeatsunder.com/campaign/monsterhearts-2

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Rick posted:

As APs proliferate, I've definitely decided the "this D&D show is good, let's move it off the D&D system" impulse that fan bases have is not something that always should be necessarily listened to. My easy favorite is Friends at the Table, so I know great shows can come from other systems, so I'm definitely not a D&D system loyalist; I don't think anyone would argue that D&D is perfect but there are tables that it's a better fit for than any other system, and I think the same goes for shows.

Most of the time that I see "this d&d show is good, I wish they'd move to a different system" stems from the fact that the best parts of the show tend to be barely touched on or actively harmed by the rules system. I had posted that I wished critical role would move off of d&d, and that is because the majority of the things that make the show great aren't d&d combat. Not to say that they don't do a good job of making d&d combat entertaining, but all of the interactions, investigations, exploring, etc all tend to be *very* GM fiat because the rules just don't really deal with that.

For a thought experiment, give a listen to some of the Reign campaign linked above, and consider CR leveraging that system (albeit with a different tone) during various social or investigative situations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's not a setting that I think folks would immediately leap to 'hey, let's have an Actual Play of this!' but Saving Throw Show's ETU game is really a must-listen. I genuinely think it's a must listen and as good as any of the bigger boys. They've also got it in podcast form if you don't want to sit and watch people's faces.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ZypherIM posted:

Most of the time that I see "this d&d show is good, I wish they'd move to a different system" stems from the fact that the best parts of the show tend to be barely touched on or actively harmed by the rules system. I had posted that I wished critical role would move off of d&d, and that is because the majority of the things that make the show great aren't d&d combat. Not to say that they don't do a good job of making d&d combat entertaining, but all of the interactions, investigations, exploring, etc all tend to be *very* GM fiat because the rules just don't really deal with that.

For a thought experiment, give a listen to some of the Reign campaign linked above, and consider CR leveraging that system (albeit with a different tone) during various social or investigative situations.

The Reign stuff above is good! My point isn't that other systems can't be good or might have better rules (it's definitely not that). It's that D&D can lead to good shows too and they don't have to switch systems because all the parts aren't seamless. For some tables, mixing in GM Fiat or Homebrew or just straight bolting another game temporarily on to D&D is a lot easier and more comfortable than using a system that is completely new or just not as accessible as D&D; and comfortable players tend to be funnier players, in my listening experience.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I might be GMING a Blades in the Dark game soon; are their any good blades APs that I could use as a guide for how to run the game/get inspiration?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Rick posted:

The Reign stuff above is good! My point isn't that other systems can't be good or might have better rules (it's definitely not that). It's that D&D can lead to good shows too and they don't have to switch systems because all the parts aren't seamless. For some tables, mixing in GM Fiat or Homebrew or just straight bolting another game temporarily on to D&D is a lot easier and more comfortable than using a system that is completely new or just not as accessible as D&D; and comfortable players tend to be funnier players, in my listening experience.

Yeah, saying "you should switch to a different system" is really underselling the task, especially when you're talking about switching mid-campaign with a large group of players. I know my personal group has discussed switching away from Pathfinder (and sometimes Burning Wheel), but we've all decided that we just don't have time to learn another system. We're not even going to try Pathfinder 2nd edition. Some of our players just do not have the time to available and we would rather keep playing a system we're familiar with, even if it isn't perfect, than "upgrade" and lose players or go through an extensive readjustment period where no one knows if we're doing things right and people spend as much time asking rules questions as actually playing and having fun.

When you're talking about a production as big as Critical Role, that's magnified even more. CR's cast is incredibly busy to start with, Matthew Mercer would have an absurdly time-consuming task converting all of his world and NPCs over to a different system (especially one which doesn't operate on the same general paradigm as D&D; going from Pathfinder to 5E for the show was one thing, but Reign is a completely different system with completely different design goals), all the players would have to un-learn 5E and learn the new system over the course of a week, etc etc. It's just not really realistic.

I think the Critical Role cast would agree with you that D&D isn't the best system for all players and possibly not even the best system for them, but it's a system they're all comfortable with and know well and that counts for a massive amount. It clearly doesn't seriously hinder their ability to have fun or create a game which people enjoy watching, either. Also, as was mentioned, they're literally sponsored by Wizards of the Coast. They are being paid to very specifically play D&D.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Scrree posted:

I might be GMING a Blades in the Dark game soon; are their any good blades APs that I could use as a guide for how to run the game/get inspiration?

Magpies seems to do a good job of highlighting the interactions between mechanics and narrative, IMO.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Zurai posted:

Yeah, saying "you should switch to a different system" is really underselling the task, especially when you're talking about switching mid-campaign with a large group of players. I know my personal group has discussed switching away from Pathfinder (and sometimes Burning Wheel), but we've all decided that we just don't have time to learn another system. We're not even going to try Pathfinder 2nd edition. Some of our players just do not have the time to available and we would rather keep playing a system we're familiar with, even if it isn't perfect, than "upgrade" and lose players or go through an extensive readjustment period where no one knows if we're doing things right and people spend as much time asking rules questions as actually playing and having fun.

When you're talking about a production as big as Critical Role, that's magnified even more. CR's cast is incredibly busy to start with, Matthew Mercer would have an absurdly time-consuming task converting all of his world and NPCs over to a different system (especially one which doesn't operate on the same general paradigm as D&D; going from Pathfinder to 5E for the show was one thing, but Reign is a completely different system with completely different design goals), all the players would have to un-learn 5E and learn the new system over the course of a week, etc etc. It's just not really realistic.

I think the Critical Role cast would agree with you that D&D isn't the best system for all players and possibly not even the best system for them, but it's a system they're all comfortable with and know well and that counts for a massive amount. It clearly doesn't seriously hinder their ability to have fun or create a game which people enjoy watching, either. Also, as was mentioned, they're literally sponsored by Wizards of the Coast. They are being paid to very specifically play D&D.

So highlight here is that no one has talked about switching systems mid-campaign. Unless the campaign has shifted to a style that requires major work to keep in the same system (ie your pathfinder game is like 90% intrigues and investigation) sticking with a system and then switching when you get to a new campaign is better.

I'd argue that you probably do have the time available to learn a new system, just not the motivation and maybe too much worry about "doing things right". In terms of learning a new system, you really only need the dm and 1 player (maybe 2 if there is a very large group) who are ahead of the curve and can answer quick questions. Most groups already have this going on (look at how often CR people are getting help on super easy stuff). Play a 1-shot to introduce broad mechanics (this is a percentile system, or ORE, or pbta, or fate dice, etc), sit down on a day off for an hour or two and do character creation + world building type things while you hang out. During play if a rules thing comes up that isn't an immediate find, have the dm make a call and look it up later, and if needed mention the rule at the start of the next game.

In reality it isn't much more than inertia and system knowledge keeping you in pathfinder. You probably would find it much easier to sell your guys on playing a different style of campaign that requires a different system (superheros, or horror, or detective, or vampire hunters, etc) than a different system for a similar campaign (ie Reign) because of this. Don't phrase it as an "upgrade", because even when you're talking about d&d/pathfinder they have things that they do very well compared to competitors.

CR in particular, I always said that their switch would need to occur between seasons (converting characters between systems is almost always lovely IMO). The sponsorship stuff is new with the 2nd campaign I believe, and they might have contracts for some length to stick with d&d. This isn't a good argument against the reasons that a cast would be improved by switching away from d&d IMO, but a reason why they'd be encouraged to stick with it despite any issues. The amount of effort to switch Matt's world to ORE wouldn't be that big (they already play is a relatively low magic version of d&d, and there are options for higher magic versions of reign), and in terms of ad-hoc NPCs ORE is way easier than most systems.

I take the stance that running d&d does hinder their ability to have fun and create a game which people enjoy watching, but that the group has excellent chemistry and trusts in their experienced gm to shepherd them past the cruft into that fun and enjoyable game. Seriously just go look at how much houserule and gm fiat is involved, it is really impressive. The main thing that determines if they stick with d&d would be Matt and how he feels about the effort:reward of continuing to run d&d versus learning to dm a new system.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ZypherIM posted:

I'd argue that you probably do have the time available to learn a new system, just not the motivation and maybe too much worry about "doing things right".

And I'd argue that you have no idea what in the world you're talking about. We barely have time (plenty of motivation, believe me) to actually get together and PLAY, let alone time to sit down and read a physical rulebook. I'm not going to go into the specifics because I don't want to reveal semi-personal information to strangers on the internet, but the player in our playgroup I was specifically thinking of works a hellish factory job with 12-hour swing shift scheduling, runs his own business on the side which takes his time several nights a week, and has a wife who also works a time-intensive and somewhat erratically scheduled job so the majority of the time they both share not working is spent doing activities together because they don't exactly get a lot of time together. He does plenty of reading, but it's in audio book format at his job. He genuinely does not have the time to sit down and read through a multi-hundred page rulebook several times until he can internalize the rules. He still hasn't fully internalized Pathfinder, and we've been playing that since the beta test for first edition. If we switched to a new game system we'd lose him as a player, and given I'm the most common DM and he's my best friend, I'm not really willing to do that to him or to me. He's not the only one who doesn't have enough hours in the day as it is, either, he's just the easiest example because of that goddamn factory job.

It's not a matter of inertia or selling my players on it. It's a matter of the fact that we have players who we literally joke have functioning TARDISes because we don't know how they fit as much into the day as they already do.

Beyond individuals, changing to a new system as a group would involve making our already much too irregular game (we went 4 months in a row without a game from October until February) even less frequent because we'd have to run a one-shot or two to be sure we actually want to change systems. That I would certainly call a motivation issue, but dismissing it as lack of motivation is really specious. Our time together is extremely limited, so changing just to maybe find a system we like 10% more as a collective (and that's seriously debatable because we have players who REALLY like Pathfinder to the point that more than one person in our play group actually have writing credits on various PFRPG rulebooks and modules) is not really a good use of that time.

EDIT2: I'd be happy to continue this conversation, but I think it's getting a little far afield from Actual Play Podcasts. As far as this thread goes, I think it's best if I just summed up my stance as "calling for strangers on the internet to change game systems in their home games which they happen to broadcast to the internet is kind of a dick move and you should probably keep it in your pants".

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 19, 2019

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Zurai posted:

And I'd argue that you have no idea what in the world you're talking about. We barely have time (plenty of motivation, believe me) to actually get together and PLAY, let alone time to sit down and read a physical rulebook. He genuinely does not have the time to sit down and read through a multi-hundred page rulebook several times until he can internalize the rules. He still hasn't fully internalized Pathfinder, and we've been playing that since the beta test for first edition. If we switched to a new game system we'd lose him as a player, and given I'm the most common DM and he's my best friend, I'm not really willing to do that to him or to me. He's not the only one who doesn't have enough hours in the day as it is, either, he's just the easiest example because of that goddamn factory job.

It's not a matter of inertia or selling my players on it. It's a matter of the fact that we have players who we literally joke have functioning TARDISes because we don't know how they fit as much into the day as they already do.

Beyond individuals, changing to a new system as a group would involve making our already much too irregular game (we went 4 months in a row without a game from October until February) even less frequent because we'd have to run a one-shot or two to be sure we actually want to change systems. That I would certainly call a motivation issue, but dismissing it as lack of motivation is really specious. Our time together is extremely limited, so changing just to maybe find a system we like 10% more as a collective (and that's seriously debatable because we have players who REALLY like Pathfinder to the point that more than one person in our play group actually have writing credits on various PFRPG rulebooks and modules) is not really a good use of that time.

Here is the thing: you're already not expecting him to internalize the pathfinder rules. You're not expecting him to sit and read through pathfinder books or supplements. You shouldn't be expecting him to do something with a new system that you don't expect him to do with one you've been playing for years. Transitioning to a new system doesn't require all the players to read the books several times to memorize the rules. You need the dm to have read through and have a good grasp, and you should have at least 1 player (maybe 2) who also has a good grasp so questions at the table can be spread out. For a more complicated game print out a cheat sheet (eclipse phase for example). If you have a smaller group the dm can field all the questions.

I've gone through learning a bunch of systems with the group I play with over the years, and we have several players who won't read the source books for a new system at all. We run a one-shot or two to learn the common rules that way, and then if they don't know how to do something as it comes up it gets asked and answered. We've got a player who prefers to play pathfinder over everything else we've played (call of cthulu, dealta green, gumshoe games, dungeon world, ore:wild talents/reign/better angles, 4th ed d&d, eclipse phase, a couple star wars systems, probably some others I'm not remembering), so I'm familiar with motivations to stay with something familiar.

Your last section is really strangely worded. Having people who are super into pathfinder who aren't interested in learning a new system because they like pathfinder is like the definition of it being an issue of motivation and not an issue of time. If you and your group wanted to play a different system, even with limited play time, it would be perfectly possible. For example, you ask your guys with the hardest schedules if they're interested in a different system/campaign style, run a few one-shots in various systems with the guys who could play more often with in order to select a system and get them all somewhat familiar with the rules, and skip the one-shots for the guys who can only play once every few months. Make sure you fit in some time to hang out and make a dude with him like a week or two before you start playing.

If you and your group have decided that you want to stick with pathfinder, that is perfectly fine. The system does certain things very well, and if that is why you get together and play more power to you. Those guys have no motivation to switch from pathfinder though, and if pathfinder fits your needs it makes sense to stay with it. It isn't intended to be a dig at you as a player/dm when I say there is a lack of motivation, maybe I could phrase it as "you have no desire to learn a new system, as your current fits your needs".

Zurai posted:

EDIT2: I'd be happy to continue this conversation, but I think it's getting a little far afield from Actual Play Podcasts. As far as this thread goes, I think it's best if I just summed up my stance as "calling for strangers on the internet to change game systems in their home games which they happen to broadcast to the internet is kind of a dick move and you should probably keep it in your pants".

In terms of the quality of an actual play podcast, when you see people doing a square peg into round hole because the system they're playing in doesn't support or poorly supports the type of game they're running, suggesting they change to a system that plays to the strength of their sessions doesn't seem like a dick move. Especially when you see them play only the most well known system, which is widely acknowledge to be very weak in certain areas.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I dunno if playing a system that has more rules and whatnot for more social/rp games would actually improve an AP like critical role. People like it because they are already good at roleplaying their characters, no one is listening to a big dramatic roleplay moment in CR wishing they had a mechanic to roll dice over in that moment because someone interacted with a bond

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Scrree posted:

Helical Nightmares posted:

I've listened to the first three or so episodes of RollPlay: Blades and they were pretty good. John Harper, the creator of Blades in the Dark, is the DM and the crew are a bunch of assassins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNzpg-qdZ0g

It looks like RollPlay: Blades doesn't have a formal end according to this: https://community.itmejp.com/t/rollplay-blades-update-7-25/1747

However the episodes I listened to were well roleplayed and fun.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He's also got his own channel with 2 campaigns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmw4wC7iOE

malkav11 posted:

There's just the one - not sure what you're seeing as a second campaign. And it also doesn't actually end, just stops abruptly. But both the one on Harper's channel and the RollPlay campaign are very good in different ways until their unceremonious stopping points. (They're even lightly linked to each other, complete with a cameo from Adam Koebel in the RollPlay game.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Has this thread discussed The Glass Cannon network yet?

They're the first official Pathfinder show and have signed a deal with Paizo.
I don't like PF all that much because I don't care for really crunchy systems but they do a good job of making it interesting.

They run Giant Slayer, Ruins of Azlant and Dead Suns (Starfinder).

All their stuff is pretty great. I've been a fan for ages now. That being said, it's all white dudes from the East coast. Only Dead Suns has a woman player and she's from Sweden and very cool.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Yep! The Glass Cannon is quite good.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
One other note re: switching systems - not every system is as lengthy and complicated and challenging to learn as D&D/Pathfinder - in fact, in terms of modern roleplaying games that one might actually recommend or see played regularly (as opposed to, e.g. Phoenix Command) they're pretty near the top end of that particular spectrum. It's certainly true that players and GMs alike may have internalized the playstyle of those games in a way that needs to be unlearned for others, but in terms of actual mechanics to learn or reading homework to be done? There are quite a few where a player, at least, might only have to read maybe 10-20 pages. Or, in a pinch, the character sheet.

That said, just because another system might handle what the group is doing better and be easy to pick up doesn't necessarily mean they have any desire to do so, and that's totally fair.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I love Glass Cannon but boy do I need them to release a 'best of' or something because I fell off like, it feels like almost a hundred episodes ago and the backlog is DAUNTING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Inzombiac posted:

Has this thread discussed The Glass Cannon network yet?

They're the first official Pathfinder show and have signed a deal with Paizo.
I don't like PF all that much because I don't care for really crunchy systems but they do a good job of making it interesting.

They run Giant Slayer, Ruins of Azlant and Dead Suns (Starfinder).

All their stuff is pretty great. I've been a fan for ages now. That being said, it's all white dudes from the East coast. Only Dead Suns has a woman player and she's from Sweden and very cool.

I haven't listened to a lot of it, but enjoyed the playtest they did of Pathfinder 2.0 quite a bit. The game made more sense in play than it did on paper to me, and some of the things the players were setting up in player creation that I thought would be . . . annoying . . . ended up being funny.

I have a friend who swears by their Starfinder Dead Suns playthrough but since I'm playing through that at the moment (with the friend who recommends it, lol, cheater), I don't want to listen yet, but plan on it once we finish. If. We ever finish. See Zurai's post about the difficulty of getting together to play.