Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Old Boot posted:

Okay, posted here before re: a Civic, with unrealistic expectations. Diving back into Prius land.

I have an appointment with a local dealership this Saturday, since my 96 Civic decided that it was going to act like it had cruise control (which is most certainly does not), and randomly accelerate on its own. I've had it for 14 years. It's time.

I'm looking at several, currently, but two are local, and come from a reputable shop-- a 2011, and a 2013 Prius Two, both within the 10k range, both with 100k-ish miles.

2011 > https://www.smarttoyota.com/used-Madison-2011-Toyota-Prius-Two-JTDKN3DU7B0258415
2013 > https://www.smarttoyota.com/used-Madison-2013-Toyota-Prius-Two-JTDKN3DU8D0340429

Y'all are welcome to say this is the dumbest thing I could do-- that's kind of what I'm looking for. I have no goddamn idea what I'm doing. :v: I did some googlin' of my own, and it seems like it falls into the parameters of the advice I got in the thread before, but this is turning into a 'time is of the essence' thing, and I'm not 100% sure what price range I should be looking for. I'd really love knowing what I should ask/poke at/etc when I'm there, to get a sense of whether or not I'm getting an okay deal-- and whether or not they're even worth the asking price; I can always cancel the appointment.

Appreciate any and all answers.

Nothing obvious jumps out about those. Being Wisconsin cars, check them over thoroughly for rust. That's about the only major issue you'd have to worry about.

Seems like you've done a pretty reasonable job. Enjoy your car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I like Facebook Marketplace if you want to buy private party. I think there are a number of dealerships on there too.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Tesla Model Y looks attractive and practical.

Tell me why this is a bad idea?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

It's is A.) Vaporware B.) Sure to be constructed poorly with hilarious panel gap C.) All the rest of the tesla problems will come with it from lack of service parts to missed deliveries to bait and switch base model pricing.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Tab8715 posted:

Youre atleast 10 years too early for it to be a good idea.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

:thunk:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Seats 7 what?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

IRQ posted:

Seats 7 what?

Seats

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does this look like a bad idea for a beater?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/philadelphia-2007-subaru-impreza-25i/6841062961.html

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're looking for a car in Philly, I don't know why you'd consider anything except this.

https://youtu.be/6wDs-0hH7hg

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Any 2600 dollar car that runs without issue is a good beater

I don’t know the market there but that’s actually a price that makes me think there might be something wrong. Have a Subaru mechanic check it out and if it’s clean buy it

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 17, 2019

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Thanks for the previous suggestions everyone. Tuesday I pick up a 2018 Mazda3S GS, former showroom display model, never driven or owned. Got it for under my budget and can’t wait!

Ps: everywhere I took my now former car to took one look at it and said “oh right, the one with all the problems.” Happy to be moving the gently caress on.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Is that not suspiciously cheap for that car at that year?

If it checks out, isn't pending a big maintenace job, get it.

I'd rather go toyota/honda at 200,000+ miles. But if you are a sube fanboy and this will make you more happy, get it and love it.

I'm assuming both of these are fake ads but I'd much more go with one of these. But they are probably scams.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/newtown-2007-acura-tl-type-v6-engine/6843900777.html

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/levittown-loaded-with-power-options-oil/6843508275.html

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 18, 2019

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Ask about the timing belt, water pump, and head gasket. Those should've been replaced within the last 10k miles, maybe a little more. If not, walk. It'll cost a significant amount to replace those.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

Ask about the timing belt, water pump, and head gasket. Those should've been replaced within the last 10k miles, maybe a little more. If not, walk. It'll cost a significant amount to replace those.
It's an auction car, sold by a dealer who wouldn't know. They will say that it was looked over by mechanic and everything is in order, which is usually a lie. At that price point you do your own mechanical inspection or take a gamble.

Also, why in the hell would that car, or any car REQUIRE a head gasket replacement? Those, along with water pumps get replaced when they stop functioning, not at a present mileage point. And last 10k miles would put that timing belt at 180,000 which is not exactly a recommended replacement milestone. Where are you pulling these questions from?

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 18, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
subarus have known head gasket problems

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Drive one. I list the 2.5 Subaru one step above the 2.0 n/a VW on my scale of uninspiring motors.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

Drive one. I list the 2.5 Subaru one step above the 2.0 n/a VW on my scale of uninspiring motors.

its a two thousand six hundred dollar car dude he isn't looking for fun to drive

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its a two thousand six hundred dollar car dude he isn't looking for fun to drive

If he doesn't care at all about fun he should probably look for an auto instead. The jatco four speeds are pretty OK and the automatics have a different probably more reliable awd system. A manual makes it like more fun than 80 of all automatic cars.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

If he doesn't care at all about fun he should probably look for an auto instead. The jatco four speeds are pretty OK and the automatics have a different probably more reliable awd system. A manual makes it like more fun than 80 of all automatic cars.
I highly doubt the AWD system is more reliable than one to two VLSDs, which is what you get with a manual. Even if they fail, they mostly just fail to open diffs.

Also, 2007 is a weird year for subaru HGs. They're much less likely than the early ones. They however, are still more likely than like the average car. They do fail in a better way, in that you get air in the cooling sytsem rather than an oil water mix. I also think, but do not know, that the HGs on those cars can be done in the car, which significantly reduces the cost. If they have been done with MLS gaskets though, they'll run a long time.
The TB was due at 105kmi and will be due again at 210kmi. Normally on a subaru timing replacement, the WP is done because it is a minor cost for something that is really expensive if it fails. Also, if the WP does fail, they have been known to take out the TB.

Fun fact, even though the HGs fail to the cylinders a failed HG can still pass one of those HG testers on a subaru for some reason. If you can give it a long test drive, I recommend noting the coolant level when it starts cold (make sure it is kind of near the L level). Drive it kind of hard for a bit. If the coolant level is well above the H and is threatening to spill out, hard pass. If the temp gauge needle move at all beyond the middle setting it will rest at after you warm it up, pass (the gauge is actually an idiot light, any movement beyond normal means it is really hot).
I want to say a leak down, but not a compression test will find it too.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 18, 2019

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

I highly doubt the AWD system is more reliable than one to two VLSDs, which is what you get with a manual. Even if they fail, they mostly just fail to open diffs.

I'm just thinking with an torque converter and no center diff there's more fusable links in the system, vs a manual where a clutch dump on a manual has a lot more driveline shock, not so much to the diffs but driveshafts, clutch, and transmission gears and syncros, and the PO of an auto is less likely to be a dick.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Basically everything in subarus break except the AWD system (CV boots don't count), so it honestly would be zero concern for me. Its kind of like Torsen audis.
Also, the non-turbo 2.5 doesn't have enough power to break anything, but even the turbo ones only break transmissions drivetrain wise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can tell if there is any center diff issue by just turning a low speed circle at max lock

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can tell if there is any center diff issue by just turning a low speed circle at max lock

Well, or CV issues.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah dealer didn't seem to know much about the car. Really wish there were more options for beater wagons.

/Me wonders just how terrible a 2000 land Rover Discovery could be.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 19, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah dealer didn't seem to know much about the car. Really wish there were more options for beater wagons.

Bad enough that it will leave you stranded when the cooling system asplodes.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Residency Evil posted:

One of the worst made brands (by far) in the worst time period they had for quality control and reliability (by far).

On the other hand,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbtg3ZNSzts

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

One of the worst made brands (by far) in the worst time period they had for quality control and reliability (by far).

On the other hand,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbtg3ZNSzts

I literally posted the same video on this page.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Bad enough that it will leave you stranded when the cooling system asplodes.

But enough about BMWs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

But enough about BMWs.

Yeah, that should read will catch on fire and leave you stranded.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nm posted:

Yeah, that should read will catch on fire and leave you stranded.

While that is another possibility, the Disco 2 has an external thermostat, undersized radiator, and a block and head gaskets made of cheese. Most of these things find their demise in an overheated motor that loosens the cylinder liners and/or cracks the block between a cooling jacket and the cylinder or the head bolt.

Rover was continuing to increase the displacement and power of this aging motor well beyond what it should have been, and doing it with worn the gently caress out tooling so you just don't know what you're going to get from example to example, but the best quality level starts out with "bad" and only gets worse from there.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's terrifying. I always knew they were bad, just didn't know why.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

That's terrifying. I always knew they were bad, just didn't know why.

They licensed plans from Buick to build the first version of that motor. The Buick 215 (3.5l). Designed in 1961. Over the years they bored it out to 4 liters, significantly diminishing the wall thickness of the cylinders and coolant passages. They later stroked it to 4.6, adding even more heat that wasn't being handled properly. By the time they did that their tooling was so worn out that there were major recall campaigns because a drilling for the oil pump dowel was so poorly done oil pumps would just stop working with the obvious consequences.

Also, all threads in the block are SAE. So the bolts they use are SAE threaded. But they have metric heads on them.

And the cylinder liners are just a tube - no top hat like any reasonable engineering design would include to keep them clamped in place. They are merely press fit in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

They licensed plans from Buick to build the first version of that motor. The Buick 215 (3.5l). Designed in 1961. Over the years they bored it out to 4 liters, significantly diminishing the wall thickness of the cylinders and coolant passages. They later stroked it to 4.6, adding even more heat that wasn't being handled properly. By the time they did that their tooling was so worn out that there were major recall campaigns because a drilling for the oil pump dowel was so poorly done oil pumps would just stop working with the obvious consequences.

Also, all threads in the block are SAE. So the bolts they use are SAE threaded. But they have metric heads on them.

And the cylinder liners are just a tube - no top hat like any reasonable engineering design would include to keep them clamped in place. They are merely press fit in.

:chloe:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

Motronic posted:

why do they do all this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

why do they do all this?

Lack of funding and desperately trying to remain relevant/competitive as market expectations changed.

Rover is relatively small. They didn't have an entire division working on cranking out their next engine design like GM/Ford/BMW/Porsche.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

buying the buick engine in the first place made a lot of sense

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

buying the buick engine in the first place made a lot of sense

Yes, agreed. They just let it go on for far too long and used some really crappy engineering practices to make it appear to be up to modern standards, coupled with decreasing manufacturing quality.

After this they ended up with BMW, Jag and Ford engines depending on who owned them that month. I'm sure we'll start seeing some Tata engines in them eventually if that hasn't already happened.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
:sigh: but they look so cool driving around.

I need a car for occasional commuting/groceries and keep on waffling between a shitbox from copart, something reasonable like a new/gently used GTI, and just saying "gently caress it" and buying something like a cool wagon.

Plus a new weekend sports car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Motronic posted:

Lack of funding and desperately trying to remain relevant/competitive as market expectations changed.

Rover is relatively small. They didn't have an entire division working on cranking out their next engine design like GM/Ford/BMW/Porsche.

They (Rover group) actually did have an entire division that cranked out among other things a brand new dohc V6 engine that went into the contemporary Freelander and the four cylinder that went into the first generation Elise. The company was at the time variously owned in part by either BMW or Honda and had all the technical resources in the world available to them in terms of "making not-poo poo engines".

Of course they didn't and the engines they did make were all junk, because Rover/British Leyland and all its iterations are just terrible at their one job. Sometimes it's not that complicated.