Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So the conclusion I've come to while looking for our next RSVP app, is that entering stats for games on every solution is dogshit garbage. Good grief.

TeamSnap seems the best option. UI is pretty good. Game/stat entry is a bitch though. You have to click through every player on the roster to enter their stats and specify whether they played or not. Pretty time consuming, especially if you have a large roster. It also super sucks to enter stats for previous seasons. Push notifications work extremely well.
BenchApp is... OK at best but the web UI and app UI are both utter garbage. Selecting the minutes and seconds of goals/penalties from drop-down menus is awful. Push notifications don't seem to work reliably.

No app has a way to import previous seasons stats as a CSV or anything, which sucks when half the team is software engineers and like to tell our goalie how fat and awful he's gotten as he gets older. Any solution can basically only import a schedule CSV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So the conclusion I've come to while looking for our next RSVP app, is that entering stats for games on every solution is dogshit garbage. Good grief.

TeamSnap seems the best option. UI is pretty good. Game/stat entry is a bitch though. You have to click through every player on the roster to enter their stats and specify whether they played or not. Pretty time consuming, especially if you have a large roster. It also super sucks to enter stats for previous seasons. Push notifications work extremely well.
BenchApp is... OK at best but the web UI and app UI are both utter garbage. Selecting the minutes and seconds of goals/penalties from drop-down menus is awful. Push notifications don't seem to work reliably.

No app has a way to import previous seasons stats as a CSV or anything, which sucks when half the team is software engineers and like to tell our goalie how fat and awful he's gotten as he gets older. Any solution can basically only import a schedule CSV.

Does your league not track stats?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They do, but only season-to-season. We kind of wanted a composite record of all of our seasons.

Graphs and pie charts and poo poo, so we know who is getting old that needs to be cut. We have a minimum Corsi that we deem acceptable.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody familiar with Premier Hockey League? They're taking over adult hockey at my local rink. I think they run programs in New England and Chicago. I've played in HNA so I'm used to highly structured adult hockey so I wonder if its like that at all

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ASHL tracks career stats and I really wish they didn't.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Duke Chin posted:

Broken Bottle is the (supposed to be) For Fun, non-try hard division.
My team played brown bottle last year and got worked. (we weren't last, though!) It was still fun as hell.

Currently both my team, the Sellouts/Pleads/Braf0rd team, and another buddy's team from Seattle are all going Broken Bottle - but that's the first division to sell out so you might want to consider mobilizing quickly.

The Broken Bottle is already sold out, so we signed up for the Brown Bottle. I guess we'll just get smoked 4 times and try to win the party. The Minutemen are going to Colorado.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

We've already put as much time (and, soon, money) organizing PBR2020 as we did for last year's tournament, I'm a little scared of the untabulated cost of manhours we'll have sunk in before February rolls around again.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I got my first shut out last night!

That last couple minutes was fairly nerve wracking, and they got off some of their best opportunities of the night.

The rink also said I saw 30 shots... which is crap because it was really more like 17.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
We won 6-3 after being down 3-2. :toot:

I didn't score, but I felt like I played very well. I came really close when a shot of mine deflected off the defenseman and just barely hit the skate of the goalie on the opposite side he was sliding. :negative:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Anyone here gone from roller skating to ice hockey? How was that transition? I've been playing flat-track roller derby for ~4 years and wanna do hockey too cuz it seems fun and good. I haven't been on ice since 3rd grade which was ~25 years ago.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

scuz posted:

Anyone here gone from roller skating to ice hockey? How was that transition? I've been playing flat-track roller derby for ~4 years and wanna do hockey too cuz it seems fun and good. I haven't been on ice since 3rd grade which was ~25 years ago.

I have. I'd strongly suggest doing some open skates or a lesson, so you can learn how to stop. I didn't do that in high school, and I had to teach myself how to stop during our practices.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hockles posted:

I have. I'd strongly suggest doing some open skates or a lesson, so you can learn how to stop. I didn't do that in high school, and I had to teach myself how to stop during our practices.
Rad, yeah, totally planning on that. We do "hockey stops" on quads so I'm hoping that some of the body mechanics are the same/similar cuz it took me a while to get real good at doing em on wheels.

Also I'm 6' 7", how hard is it gonna be for me to find a stick?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm 5'9" and I have to cut like 4 feet off any stick I buy, so you're probably alright. Or you can buy a plug extension to stick in the end of it to make it longer if you need.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
At 6'7" you're going to need extension plugs. I'm three inches shorter than you and on skates normal sticks are barely up to my collar bone.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips, i didn't even know those extenders existed. VERY EXCITED TO HOCKEY

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Speaking of sticks, I bought some and eyeball cut one perfectly but hosed up and cut one about 1.5cm (3/4") too short for me. I can actually notice and it sucks.

I think I might just buy a stick plug and see if that helps as normally I just tap a butt end into my stick.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I might get a plug for my son's stick. He's tall but skinny like I was, so a 55 flex is right for him, but not so much the length. He tried a 65 flex but I think it's too stiff for him.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

very curious if you'll actually need an extender, especially with the full length Warriors. I'm 5'10" and cutting down sticks significantly.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

very curious if you'll actually need an extender, especially with the full length Warriors. I'm 5'10" and cutting down sticks significantly.

At 6'4 the Warriors are perfect length for a D stick for me. Right at my nose on bare feet, that plus a short plug should be good for 6'7.

I'd suggest going that route instead of buying a standard length Bauer/CCM stick and putting a big plug in, I've snapped a few longer plugs in my hand before, It's not fun.

You may also be able to find a shop nearby you that sells Pro Return gear and they often have taller than normal sticks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sounds too long according to the gospel

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

sellouts posted:

We should delete the entire OP and just have this link.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This link and the no icing sports one about radius and sharpening.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

I love using a shorter stick but it doesn’t work to well for me for slapshots and poke checks and that sort of thing.

Source: 26 years of me playing ice hockey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

26 years of playing hockey incorrectly

Nah I agree. I cut mine at 20 something years and I like it more. But I’m not as good as you.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Just fyi for Dallas goalies, pure hockey's having a goalie stick sale for the next wave of gear coming in the following week. Picked up some decent composites and foam-cores for under $90.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've also been playing for 26 years and I usually cut my stick a little shorter being able to reach my nose in shoes. I've gone shorter than that before but I play d so I usually like to have some reach available for poke checks. Also I'm a dwarf compared to DC as I'm only 5 8 so I need what little reach I've got.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah I'm barely taller than you. I always used full size senior sticks for reach. The lie was all hosed up and stick handling (i have no dangles lol) was pretty bad. Now much improved, and more of my stick blade is on the ice more of the time.

It was weird to get used to for a few weeks, and when I use a different pattern it's super weird again, but generally I like it.

Also not sure if it was posted but the PBR Colorado tournament next February is already sold out for the casual division. I have 2 teams registered, one of them is people from this thread and will be solid. The other is supposed to be for LA locals, but if they bail, I'd give the team to someone else here if they want it. Am happy to help with any questions anyone might have about logistics or whatever.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 18, 2019

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

yeah I'm barely taller than you. I always used full size senior sticks for reach. The lie was all hosed up and stick handling (i have no dangles lol) was pretty bad. Now much improved, and more of my stick blade is on the ice more of the time.

It was weird to get used to for a few weeks, and when I use a different pattern it's super weird again, but generally I like it.

I tried using a longer stick last year for a few games just to see what that was like and I didn't like it. The increased reach on pokes was nice but my hands were just gone. It even made my passing much worse. I don't know how people who do that get by with it. Some NHLers do use longer sticks. I remember Toby Enstrom using an infamously long stick for his size. I think Guentzel uses a longer stick than you would expect also. It's definitely not for me, though.

The nice thing about a short stick is it will force you to play lower to the ice which should in theory make your skating stride better but the flip side of that is most of us are probably in less than ideal playing shape/weight which means a shorter stick is going to be more exhausting to play with because of all that bending over :v:.

I remember reading some NHLers actually use different sticks for different situations too which is just crazy to me since getting used to different lengths would drive me nuts. But I recall reading somewhere that Subban would have different stick lengths depending on whether he was on the PP, PK, or even strength. I guess when you're at that level you want to optimize every little thing so if you can do that and be comfortable with it why not.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah ovi has his whippy PP stick. Some dude collects broken ovi sticks and looks at the different flexes and what not depending on the situation.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
https://www.facebook.com/glassbangers/videos/844979875841728/

^^^ Brad0rd this is what you're missing out on by skipping the game against the russians tomorrow

edit: bah that poo poo doesn't embed and can't find it on the youstubes

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 18, 2019

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wow I think I just witnessed a murder.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

https://www.facebook.com/glassbangers/videos/844979875841728/

^^^ Brad0rd this is what you're missing out on by skipping the game against the russians tomorrow

edit: bah that poo poo doesn't embed and can't find it on the youstubes

Sorry, gonna be busy with 4-5 year olds swinging metal sticks and throwing leather balls at each other.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

Sorry, gonna be busy with 4-5 year olds swinging metal sticks and throwing leather balls at each other.

okay yeah that sounds more dangerous than playing against Team Oh No Hard Feelings Bro running everyone and everything :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seabs uses the oldest shittiest gear on the entire team.

(assuming everything at their training rink isn't old retired poo poo)

I didn't catalog everything but Reebok and CCM were the most popular pads by far.

Bonus Kane jock.

Also the ice is like skating on diamond it's so hard. :fap:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My son did a skating clinic today, they did tons of edge work, so he's now better on his outside edges then i've ever been. Outside edges are scary.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

Yeah the ice at MB is the nicest I've ever skated on. Also, their Rat Hockey is much more chill than at Johnny's, which feels like literally every player has a huge chip on their shoulder for not being selected captain of their high school team.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah the ice at MB is the nicest I've ever skated on. Also, their Rat Hockey is much more chill than at Johnny's, which feels like literally every player has a huge chip on their shoulder for not being selected captain of their high school team.

Johnnys was always rough. Everyone always feeling like their big break is right around the corner. Johnnys will always be a Chicago hockey institution but I've had a lot of bad memories there. I'm really jealous of the MB arena which didn't get put in until after I left for Seattle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the tour thingy they also had a meal plan guide on the counter we could flip through. No huge surprises in there but it was pretty interesting to see how regimented their diet is.

Eggs, turkey, chicken, tortillas, veggies all the time and truckloads of guac were the basics of their example meal plan.

Motivated by this information, when we left I ate a hamburger and fries.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

Seabs uses the oldest shittiest gear on the entire team.

(assuming everything at their training rink isn't old retired poo poo)

I didn't catalog everything but Reebok and CCM were the most popular pads by far.

Bonus Kane jock.

Crosby's jock puts Kane's to shame. Looks like something you have in a comedy bit about a dude who never changes his jock (because he doesn't).

https://youtu.be/C43yjiIMWkw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Why people aren't just using the new shorts jocks is beyond me. Those old school elastic ones are so dumb.