Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

William Control as a name is way too on the nose, I'm still not certain it's real.

It's a stage name. He was born William Francis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He was the lead singer of Aiden, an emo punk band that was pretty popular in the 2000s. William Control is his stage name for a solo electronic project that became full time after Aiden disbanded.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Amber Heard made bank as Ariel the Little mermaid last year, while I struggle to recall Johnny Depp's last hit. Pirates 5 evidently was soft enough that they're going to reboot the thing without him. Grindlewald probably would have sucked without his output anyway.

Tom Cruise may be vain but Depp is going to age terribly as his hedonism catches up with him.

Edit: forgot the "anyway"

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 19, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Grindlewald probably would have sucked without his output

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was an article last year detailing how Depp is pissing away money at an alarming rate. He's likely to be Nic Cage broke in a few years.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

There was an article last year detailing how Depp is pissing away money at an alarming rate. He's likely to be Nic Cage broke in a few years.

This is remarkable given that he was given gently caress you money tenfold for doing the Pirates movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is remarkable given that he was given gently caress you money tenfold for doing the Pirates movies.

Sounds like it's mostly his own fault.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/07/johnny-depp-financial-crisis-money

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, didn't he pay a metric fuckton of money for Hunter S. Thompson's ashes, just so he could shoot them out of a cannon?

Dude is also reportedly a raging alcoholic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah he's become a notorious rear end in a top hat so no sympathy.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Timby posted:

Yeah, didn't he pay a metric fuckton of money for Hunter S. Thompson's ashes, just so he could shoot them out of a cannon?

He had to pay for the ashes? Pay who, the family? I thought they agreed to the cannon thing .

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

He had to pay for the ashes? Pay who, the family? I thought they agreed to the cannon thing .

it wasn't the ashes that was expensive so much as the permitting/bribery to fire off a cannon

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo apparently Depp had 14 separate residences, and all together a full-time staff of 40 people. He was spending $300k a month just on paying his employees, and then another 150k a month for a full security team. With that kind of lifestyle you really need to be like a multi-billionaire with a serious income stream that goes beyond just making 20 mil every few years by making a movie. Otherwise the money is gonna run out extremely quick as soon as you have a rough patch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He has a fuckload of loans as well. Just googling "Johnny Depp debt" brings up so many articles. Dude hosed up.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think he was also spending like $50k a month on wine. Hell, maybe it was $500k, I can't remember exactly but it was a very large number.

edit: ok, it was actually a mere $30k a month, but he did apparently run up a $1 million bill at a wine store, so.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 19, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I totally bag the future headline on Johnny Depp's debt, "Johnny Broke ."

Jeremy Renner is nobody's favorite avenger, on account of his square-head, but the dude doesn't need to act to live in luxury since he flips houses on the side. Imagine how rich the athlete who majors in accounting is right now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I totally bag the future headline on Johnny Depp's debt, "Johnny Broke ."

Jeremy Renner is nobody's favorite avenger, on account of his square-head, but the dude doesn't need to act to live in luxury since he flips houses on the side. Imagine how rich the athlete who majors in accounting is right now.

Renner has a very unusual background for a film star and is apparently a film-tier cosmetics professional.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

This is a cool and good way to spend money imo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I couldnt help but laugh at the bit about Depp buying super expensive wine and his assistant/purchaser/whatever their title is was like, "we cant even call these wine purchases investments! He just drinks it!"

Cant find the exact article but it came out when he was started suing his money managers

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

I couldnt help but laugh at the bit about Depp buying super expensive wine and his assistant/purchaser/whatever their title is was like, "we cant even call these wine purchases investments! He just drinks it!"

Cant find the exact article but it came out when he was started suing his money managers

Honestly that would be me though. Just start buying really expensive food and drink so I can have it for dinner that night.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wine is one of those things where there's no ceiling if you're rich enough, Brewster's Millions had that as a plot point that it's a very efficient way to waste money.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Honestly that would be me though. Just start buying really expensive food and drink so I can have it for dinner that night.

That's the problem with having too much money to spend, there's always the chance you just spend it on everything and lose track

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Isn't that what accountants are for?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL remember when they flew their dogs to Australia and Australia was like “Mate, you can’t bring animals here, were very clear about that, that’s jailtime for normal people” and they resolved it by filming an infomercial about not importing animals illegally staring Johnny Depp

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Johnny Depp was a guy determined to not be a regular movie star when he was young, who suddenly became one, embraced it and likely lost all connection to reality in the process.

I remember Joe Rogan mentioning that him and Doug Stanhope were/are friends. What the gently caress would those two talk about now? Who's the steadying hand on the till?

He's also, after years of not ageing at all, suddenly ageing very quickly and badly.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Johnny Depp is a good old boy from Kentucky who fell backwards into acting when his dream of being a rock star didn't work, but never shook the idea of wanting to be a rock star even when he became successful. The sad thing is that there was a time when Depp being in a movie was a good sign; he was a guy who didn't just do a project, there was always something of value in what he showed up in. And that period has a lot of great movies in it that work specifically because of his anti-movie star presence (Dead Man, for example). But then he made Pirates, got an Oscar nom for loving around, found out you can make a billion dollars like it ain't no thang, and cut the brake line.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fart City posted:

Johnny Depp is a good old boy from Kentucky who fell backwards into acting when his dream of being a rock star didn't work, but never shook the idea of wanting to be a rock star even when he became successful. The sad thing is that there was a time when Depp being in a movie was a good sign; he was a guy who didn't just do a project, there was always something of value in what he showed up in. And that period has a lot of great movies in it that work specifically because of his anti-movie star presence (Dead Man, for example). But then he made Pirates, got an Oscar nom for loving around, found out you can make a billion dollars like it ain't no thang, and cut the brake line.

Prior to Pirates, he was rarely in anything outside of Tim Burton movies.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Rirse posted:

Prior to Pirates, he was rarely in anything outside of Tim Burton movies.

That's kind of a misconception. In the years prior to Pirates he did Blow, The Ninth Gate, and Donnie Brasco.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He seriously looks like a cheap baseball glove someone left in the sun

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

He's also, after years of not ageing at all, suddenly ageing very quickly and badly.

He'd been aging for a while, it's just that he used more and more hats and scarves and bandanas and sunglasses and jewelry and canes, and whatever the gently caress else to distract everyone from the fact he wasn't 30 anymore. Eventually it got to the point where it's just obvious and sad. Being a raging alcoholic probably isn't helping things.

I had a major crush on Johnny Depp when I was 12, right after Pirates of the Caribbean came out. I was super obsessed and watched all the movies of his I could find. Now it's just embarrassing to remember. All the other 12 year old girls were crazy about him too though, so at least it wasn't just me.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

He'd been aging for a while, it's just that he used more and more hats and scarves and bandanas and sunglasses and jewelry and canes, and whatever the gently caress else to distract everyone from the fact he wasn't 30 anymore. Eventually it got to the point where it's just obvious and sad. Being a raging alcoholic probably isn't helping things.

I had a major crush on Johnny Depp when I was 12, right after Pirates of the Caribbean came out. I was super obsessed and watched all the movies of his I could find. Now it's just embarrassing to remember. All the other 12 year old girls were crazy about him too though, so at least it wasn't just me.

You shouldn't be that embarrassed tbh. Johnny Depp is the physical embodiment of a chain wallet. We all had one. It eventually fell apart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fart City posted:

You shouldn't be that embarrassed tbh. Johnny Depp is the physical embodiment of a chain wallet. We all had one. It eventually fell apart.

Brilliant. I'm totally using this to describe him going forward.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Fart City posted:

That's kind of a misconception. In the years prior to Pirates he did Blow, The Ninth Gate, and Donnie Brasco.

Sort of on topic: I liked The Ninth Gate until a learned about the director.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

8one6 posted:

Sort of on topic: I liked The Ninth Gate until a learned about the director.

polanski.txt

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It probably isn't helping that Depp has that alcoholic bloat to him as well. He looks like he's going to put a hex on you.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Johnny Depp was quite cool for the first portion of his career. The very first 'Nightmare on Elm St' had him playing the "semi-wholesome boyfriend" character, which was also his acting debut I think.

And yeah, he SERIOUSLY did a ton of very cool movies with some very hip and talented auteurs. He did Dead Man with Jim Jarmusch, he did Cry-Baby with John Waters, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape (a kinda perfect silly '90s indie gem) with a VERY young Leo Dicaprio in his own breakout performance... OH! And of course he played Ed Wood in that movie, which is pretty underrated as a Tim Burton film - it's one of his least self-indulgent efforts.

And of course, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where he played Hunter S, Thompson's alter ego, the Gonzo Journalist Raoul Duke. I felt like that was and probably should still be the defining performance of his career. In many ways, Jack Sparrow probably has more 'Raoul Duke' in him than any other character Depp had played prior to that. I'd also say it was the first time where Depp really devoted himself to the role and lost himself while playing the character. In so many films you can see him skate by with his charisma and good looks, and his ability to flash dazzling smiles one minute and be dark and brooding the next. But with Duke he figured out a WHOLE FREAKING NEW way of approaching a character, and it shows in later work.

I have to just add that my favorite Johnny Depp performance of all time is definitely Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hallow. He admitted that he played Crane as if he were *literally* a 12-year-old schoolgirl, and it shows, and the results are truly fantastically weird.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

If I became a billionaire, I'd probably do this along with becoming more and more reclusive out of sheer paranoia of people trying to steal my money or only wanting to hang out because of my money until I'd inevitably killed myself.

Sort of like Notch only with suicide instead of racism.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nah dud gently caress that and embrace the entourage lifestyle. It's like Chris Rock says in his new special "my friends tell me to get off Tindr, because women only want me because I'm Chris Rock... So? I AM Chris Rock!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

Isn't that what accountants are for?

He does have accountants, but that doesn't mean he doesn't spend. If I remember correctly from the interviews where it all got explained, he would just keep approving purchase after purchase of $2000 bottles of wine, artwork, yachts, sports cars, mansions, etc. to the point where the paperwork could barely keep up with him and it was just impossible to explain to him that he was hemorrhaging money so fast. Then when he found out he was millions of dollars in debt, he resisted selling anything and tried to blame his accountants and managers for his spending.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

chitoryu12 posted:

He does have accountants, but that doesn't mean he doesn't spend. If I remember correctly from the interviews where it all got explained, he would just keep approving purchase after purchase of $2000 bottles of wine, artwork, yachts, sports cars, mansions, etc. to the point where the paperwork could barely keep up with him and it was just impossible to explain to him that he was hemorrhaging money so fast. Then when he found out he was millions of dollars in debt, he resisted selling anything and tried to blame his accountants and managers for his spending.

At first I was wondering how he could possibly spend that much on wine, like, wouldn't he just pass out at some point after, I don't know, 4 or 5 bottles in one go? But I forgot how loving expensive wine can get. Like, holy poo poo dude, if you drink that much, you're not drinking to enjoy the wine, just get the cheap poo poo, there's barely any difference anyway.

Wine snobs confuse me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Johnny Depp is out, Jon Depp is in