Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

AnnoyBot posted:

Scenarios:
1) Your manager is across an ocean, and likes to have 1:1s at 11pm your time.
2) Your org has teams in 3 continents. Daily status meeting is at 7am your time, which is roughly 4pm for the other primary team. Your job is theoretically 9-5.
3) You are 24/7 on call for 2 weeks. You get woken up about once a night, ranging from 15min to 3 hours. You must respond in as near to real time as possible, but can be anywhere that internet is available.
4) You work 9-5 M-F, but have 4 hour 11pm maintenance windows on 2 weekdays, and a 6 hour window on saturday starting at 7 pm.
5) You're working on a new Ansible deployment. Iterating the playbook configs and pushing new test jobs takes all day, and goes until about 9pm.
Australian, public sector.
37 hours a week, salaried. Small periods of OT (eg 1-2 hours) is usually just put in as comp time and recorded (Nobody is letting them go to waste around here).
Larger amounts are usually paid at 1.5x-2x depending on length and whether its a weekend. Public holidays are 2.5x. Management do not get OT/comp time.

1) wouldn't happen.
2) Either my shift would be 7-3 (could do that now if I chose) or I wouldn't attend. Anything I have to attend for work counts as work time. gently caress you, pay me.
3) In our bargaining agreement, it's mandated that we get 8 hours rest excluding travel to/from work. There is no on-call.
4) Would get paid OT at 2x hourly rate, plus come in late (see above point). If we had to come in at the normal time the next day, the entire day would be at 2x OT (or until a full 8 hours of rest has been had)
5) A 12 hour day is allowed, but if this wasn't your normal working hours, then more OT at 1.5x-2x

edit:

Vargatron posted:

Guess who is creating Windows 7 installation media in TYOOL 2019.
Guess who was still using Windows XP in 2017? My last job. Current job is still trying to find the owners of the last few Server 2003 VMs so they can shut them down or upgrade - personally, I'd just shut them down and wait for the scream test :shrug:

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Phone screen done, I was way over prepared. I hope it went well enough to be able to use the rest of the preparation. I think it did.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Phone screen done, I was way over prepared. I hope it went well enough to be able to use the rest of the preparation. I think it did.

That's great! Over-prepared is good, helps give you confidence to nail it. Fingers crossed for you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. If I get this prepare for pictures of my $5000 gaming rig bought on payments and new leased BMW.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. If I get this prepare for pictures of my $5000 gaming rig bought on payments and new leased BMW.

That sounds like an enlisted thing :ohdear:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wibla posted:

I worked at a LCS near an army base.

My favorites were the ones that shipped their $5k cyberpower rig and let the army movers pack it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wibla posted:

Yeah, except theirs would be a Mustang.

I’m joking, I’m not buying poo poo until I get a whole lot of stuff paid down/back. I also have to save up a deposit and a month’s rent for June. Thankfully I’ve gotten used to having no money so I just have to keep acting like it for a few months.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man people keep warning me about this industry and they keep being right.

Just got fired by my employer literally one day after signing a "I won't sue you for the sexual harrassment" settlement. The only thing I did wrong was report what happened to me and I get railroaded out because of it.

Guess the silver lining is I don't need to work for those assholes anymore but those motherfuckers

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Iron Rose posted:

Just got fired by my employer literally one day after signing a "I won't sue you for the sexual harrassment" settlement. The only thing I did wrong was report what happened to me and I get railroaded out because of it.

Guess the silver lining is I don't need to work for those assholes anymore but those motherfuckers

That's super hosed up, but somewhat unsurprising, hopefully you got a bunch of money out of it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

The Iron Rose posted:

Talk to a lawyer.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

evobatman posted:

Talk to a lawyer.

Already have one. There's not really anything we can do.

I got my payoff. It's just small and I wish I had taken it to court instead of settling. Probably would have cost me more in the end, but at least then someone might have been actually punished

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does the lawyer really not think that the timing seems somewhat retaliatory?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah retaliation is a thing

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Not after a settlement. It doesn't matter. I'm good at what I do and I'll find work. It's just really sickening that this is what happens to people who speak up. It's 2019 dammit. We should be better than this.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

The Iron Rose posted:

Not after a settlement. It doesn't matter. I'm good at what I do and I'll find work. It's just really sickening that this is what happens to people who speak up. It's 2019 dammit. We should be better than this.

"Yeah, but he's good at his job and we'd have to hire a new guy" is a common response and makes clear that "Don't rock the boat" is still a widespread company policy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Iron Rose posted:

you are important and you will thrive at a better company

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

That's so hosed up.
And yeah. you will deff thrive at a decent company.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A team lead position for our helpdesk opened up and I was encouraged to apply. I didn't get it, and was at first bummed out, then confused.

Nobody got it because after the interviews it was decided that the role would be changed to a full management position, requiring years of management experience. Our new structure will look like this:

code:
                head of IT
                    |
                IT Manager (current boss)
                    |
               Helpdesk Manager
             /                \
          me                  1 other tech
More Chiefs than Indians now (is there a more PC term?)

Me and the other tech are speculating our current boss is hiring his own replacement because he's planning a coup. He doesn't get on with the head of IT, who since a big row about a year ago is his manager in name only.

Head of IT has been with the company since it was under 80 users - it's now over 1000. He's a nice guy but would be the first to admit he's not technically knowledgeable, and I honestly don't know what his responsibilities are (he works in a different city to the rest of us). He's not involved in IT strategy and the company has obviously outgrown him. He is old university friends with the CFO however.

I don't know whether to find this amusing or just frustrating. The chance of promotion was dangled in front of me for the better part of a year (there were several delays) and another opportunity won't come along at this company.

I think I've reached the point where I have to decide between being comfy where I am and moving some place I can advance.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 19, 2019

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Requiring someone with "years of management experience" for a two person helpdesk seems asinine. That's like a perfect opportunity to allow one of the techs to begin developing leadership skills if that's the career path they're after, provided your boss is a not-poo poo mentor.

From what you've said, you don't want to be stuck on helpdesk forever. If they've got you entrenched at the lowest rung with no hope of advancement, I think you're right to start looking around.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You can't possibly need 3 layers of management for helpdesk, good lord. Yeah, I'd start looking at other places if I we you. Like my dad always says "you either move up or move out".

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Iron Rose posted:

That's some poo poo. You're too good for them anyways and will find something /much/ better now that those jackasses are out of the way.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I think IP video surveillance might be my least favorite technology. I have a client with all kinds of different technologies in play - live streams to cameras, NVR recording, live streams from the NVR, wireless p2p cameras, multicast streams onto security operations, 4k cameras, etc.

Out of all these technology interactions, the only thing that does not have loss is the direct stream via VLC to a camera. All the other technologies leverage a NVR to receive the stream.

Logically the focus should be the NVR, but what does the client blame?

The network of course. The 10gig network with port-channel redundancies using all the latest switches and no errors whatsoever on any interface related to the data path.

I am sitting on site with the client and the NVR tech and clearly you can see the NVR is the weak point as side by side there is obvious loss on the NVR.

Network still is being blamed...just..how?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

Look I’m not the network guy I can’t tell you why it’s broken just fix it

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sepist posted:

I think IP video surveillance might be my least favorite technology. I have a client with all kinds of different technologies in play - live streams to cameras, NVR recording, live streams from the NVR, wireless p2p cameras, multicast streams onto security operations, 4k cameras, etc.

Out of all these technology interactions, the only thing that does not have loss is the direct stream via VLC to a camera. All the other technologies leverage a NVR to receive the stream.

Logically the focus should be the NVR, but what does the client blame?

The network of course. The 10gig network with port-channel redundancies using all the latest switches and no errors whatsoever on any interface related to the data path.

I am sitting on site with the client and the NVR tech and clearly you can see the NVR is the weak point as side by side there is obvious loss on the NVR.

Oh you mean hundreds of different protocols and encodings don't jam well together??? I ran a surveillance rig at my last company and it was a source of constant headache.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tech Dirt has a deal on some StackSkills courses for some Azure certifications: https://deals.techdirt.com/sales/complete-microsoft-azure-certification-prep-bundle-2019

AZ-100, AZ-101, AZ-203, and AZ-300.

Currently running the AZ-300 course in the background, never used Stackskills before, but the quality seems somewhere between ITProTV and CBTNuggets

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
The connection between the cameras and the NVR are no longer being blamed.

Now they're blaming the connection from the NVR to the client.

On the same switch.

:argh:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Sepist posted:

The connection between the cameras and the NVR are no longer being blamed.

Now they're blaming the connection from the NVR to the client.

On the same switch.

:argh:

Is the tech the one pushing them to that? Because that’s a loving rear end in a top hat tech if so.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Vargatron posted:

Oh you mean hundreds of different protocols and encodings don't jam well together??? I ran a surveillance rig at my last company and it was a source of constant headache.

This was exactly why, even though I don't much like Meraki's cameras from a technical perspective, when my boss insisted on going Meraki for surveillance I gave in and after a month or two I was like "yeah, fuckit, image is good enough and not having to gently caress around with an NVR (plus no dealing with allowing access to said NVR) is a godsend". I dislike most of Meraki's gear technically except the APs and switches, but the one-pane-of-glass cloud control plus "poo poo just works" is definitely worth a lot of the downsides. Shoutout to the firewalls being Apple-ized with no ability to do much complex routing/firewalling and gems like "oh yeah no if you have an IPSec VPN set up on the MX the route for that won't be pushed over the Meraki AutoVPN tunnels good luck here's a workaround just buy ANOTHER MX and set it up as an entirely different Meraki organization and network" no seriously that is an actual suggestion someone's posted.

Anyway the other annoyance on NVRs is that a lot of the loving alarm companies around here have gotten into pushing security camera installs, and the NVRs they push on people are OEM'd cheap Chinese crap that still uses ActiveX controls for viewing. And the alarm companies tell the clients "oh yeah just have your IT forward ports on the firewall and then look you can view your cameras from anywhere!":fuckoff: Still trying to get a couple clients to get rid of that poo poo - at least we put the kibosh on port forwarding and insisted on VPN to access, and you'd think that the access from anywhere would be a selling point for the Meraki cameras, but all clients see is the bottom line.

Speaking of which, a Meraki rep told me that Verkada is pulling all the dirty tricks and hard sales tactics in the books to get business and they're mostly winning. Has anyone actually used the Verkada stuff, and/or is it any good? I'm not really interested since that would mean two panes of (cloud) glass, but it'd be interesting to know if the cameras/management are any better.

Edit: apparently d not t

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 19, 2019

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

no concrete experience with AWS/Azure as everything is on prem.

Apply anyways. When I walked into my gig I literally had zero experience. I could readily map the three tiers to how I imagined it would work in the cloud, but I couldn’t name a single service by name.

We can teach the services. We can’t teach good judgement, bias for action and willingness to learn.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Agrikk posted:

Apply anyways. When I walked into my gig I literally had zero experience. I could readily map the three tiers to how I imagined it would work in the cloud, but I couldn’t name a single service by name.

We can teach the services. We can’t teach good judgement, bias for action and willingness to learn.

Yes. When I interview, I want to know if you can figure out cloud/app/client interface type stuff. I know people don't know my products yet but if I say something like, "A user says they can't access $site but you know it is up and running and other people can access it. What do you do?"

I'm looking to see if you can do basic troubleshooting and are asking the right questions.

We have a test were we show you two set of logs. One shows you database activity, the other web traffic. We ask you to look for any point of failure (like a call from the web Server to the DB failed) and see if you can find what happened. The trick is the logs we give you have two different time/date stamps and lots of people miss that.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CKA passed. Nice test. The proctor was a prick though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN

So we have been completely unable to retain any new SysEng since the long-timers all quit.
Longest one we've got so far is doing pretty well. He's settled in. Figured out that this place is special and is willing to just sit, back, shut up and collect a paycheck.
My boss is definitely tough to stomach. He likes things done HIS WAY and oh yeah, no matter what, everyone besides the boss is an idiot and definitely completely wrong, even when they actually agree with him.
You're not gonna get respect or kudos from him, so don't expect it.

Anywho, our now ONLY SysEng just found out that they changed the salary ranges for the newest job postings for positions equal to his and they are CONSIDERABLY HIGHER.
He is pissssssssed.

:munch:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN

So we have been completely unable to retain any new SysEng since the long-timers all quit.
Longest one we've got so far is doing pretty well. He's settled in. Figured out that this place is special and is willing to just sit, back, shut up and collect a paycheck.
My boss is definitely tough to stomach. He likes things done HIS WAY and oh yeah, no matter what, everyone besides the boss is an idiot and definitely completely wrong, even when they actually agree with him.
You're not gonna get respect or kudos from him, so don't expect it.

Anywho, our now ONLY SysEng just found out that they changed the salary ranges for the newest job postings for positions equal to his and they are CONSIDERABLY HIGHER.
He is pissssssssed.

:munch:

Is he motivated enough to go job shopping so he can credibly threaten to leave if they don't give him a requested raise to match the job postings?

Cheeky alternative is to apply of course.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 20, 2019

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Is he motivated enough to go job shopping so he can credibly threaten to leave if they don't give him a requested raise to match the job postings?

Cheeky alternative is to apply of course.
Never take the counteroffer.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Tetramin posted:

Is the tech the one pushing them to that? Because that’s a loving rear end in a top hat tech if so.

Yea but he ended up owning up to it. After all the troubleshooting it's been determined that the i-frames of the h.264 stream are overloading the server side encoder so I'm in the clear...until tomorrow when they blame the network again

Sepist fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 20, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Never take the counteroffer.

I turned down a counteroffer at my old job that was double my salary. It was hosed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I turned down a counteroffer at my old job that was double my salary. It was hosed.
The Venn Diagram of "Amount that would be enough to make me stay" and "amount that would make me think you're just keeping me here long enough that you can hire a replacement for cheaper" is a circle.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That isn't even trying to hide their intentions. Ballsy.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I got knocked back for an internal move recently but they didn't offer it to anyone.

The story is the Director doesn't want to offer the job to someone less experienced as they are so short staffed.

I'm currently looking to leave.

If the re-advertisement doesn't say 'previous applicants need not apply' - I might just apply again to see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
What are you guys using for reverse proxies on windows? Just using IIS with rewrite or is nginx solid on windows?