Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lancemantis posted:

sure the problem is that people like them and hold on to them

sounds like you need a time machine sucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mine is probably going to live out its last days as a sand dune thrash machine and its gonna own

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

lancemantis posted:

if you took away the magical bourgeoisie carpool lane pass from hybrid/electric vehicles in california you'd probably crater the sales

The last study I saw said there’s no doubt about that.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

washing machines too. put clothes inside, dump in however much laundry soap seems right, crank it to large load warm water and walk away. every other setting is a mystery that you shouldn't touch because you'll screw it up.

This is a shame too because laundry symbols are rad

I want to get a "Dry flat in the shade" symbol tattoo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

infernal machines posted:

a bunch of places do. it's bullshit.

in ontario we also toyed with the idea of HOT lanes, where you could just pay to use the carpool/pubtrans lane if you wanted

we have the HOT system in minnesota for some of the heavy commuter roads and it seems to work fine. they even turn the system on and off depending on the time of day, so during non-rush hour even single-occupant cars can use the lane

e: also we don't have the EV loophole sticker because most of our state level politicians have half a brain or more

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 19, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

My Linux Rig posted:

do they seriously allow ev vehicles in the hov lanes with one passenger

yes and the result is that travel times in hov lanes here don't actually reduce total trip times during peak traffic because they're so clogged, to the point that it's interfering with federal maintenance funds for these lanes

fortunately the state passed a law making all the stickers on cars from before 2017 expire that happened jan 1st this year - kicking off like a quarter million vehicles, so that should help

it's income-limited now too: $150,000 for single filers, $204,000 for head-of-household and $300,000 for joint filers

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

do they seriously allow ev vehicles in the hov lanes with one passenger

here in the bay area they are adding new hov lanes but solo drivers can pay to use them :thunk:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

here in the bay area they are adding new hov lanes but solo drivers can pay to use them :thunk:

yes this is a known city planning technique that has various societal benefits

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i guess if you count making the high occupancy lane useless a benefit, sure.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

make it into a motorcycle-only lane imo

also make it legal to thrash cars with chains and crowbars if they try to muscle in

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Also all motorcycles have to be from the 90s: road rash but it's my life

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i guess if you count making the high occupancy lane useless a benefit, sure.

how is prcingg formed. how engineers design traffac

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
?? i guess if you live in a place that doesn't have a regional transit network where buses use those lanes, and also you don't give a gently caress about encouraging carpooling, yes, making a fast lane for the wealthy makes perfect sense.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we're trying to reduce congestion and discourage single occupant vehicle trips, unless you're rich, in which case, go hog wild

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Lutha Mahtin posted:

how is prcingg formed. how engineers design traffac

i find it hard to believe that any engineers were invloved in making taht choice

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
also engineers are notorious for being loving morons, their opinions don't mean squat

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Seeing how american roads are designed I would be wary to accept an american traffic "engineer" advice.

Here let's put 20 stop signs and make on ramps a rocket launch platform

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Improbable Lobster posted:

i find it hard to believe that any engineers were invloved in making taht choice

they're not, and in fact the political positions involved in making those decisions were probably told it was a bad idea

but they're still going in. $100 tolls baybeee i hope they get the toll scanners working well enough to only charge the cars in the oligarch lane and not the adjacent ones like they sometimes do now

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao if you live in the suburbs

https://twitter.com/tfgridiron/status/1107985994945581057

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

'id love to pay my employees more than minimum wage but there's overhead"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sounds like the tolls are too low

although this being VA, i'm guessing there are no trains or anything either, so it's more like drive or don't go

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

we're trying to reduce congestion and discourage single occupant vehicle trips, unless you're rich, in which case, go hog wild

if the prices were exorbitant for using it outside of carpooling and it all went to funding public transit, I wouldn’t be too against that

but I’m guessing that is not the case here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if someone is willing to pay the toll, it is too low

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
hov lanes seem to be bullshit in the first place

they reduce the effective lane count of roads at peak traffic hours, making congestion worse and often making the road less safe due to high speed difference between hov and normal lanes

i admit i have no data to back this up but i would be amazed if the net increase in passengers per vehicle offsets the downsides. anecdotally, before they started selling hov indulgences in California, the hov lanes were mostly empty during rush hour. now they’ve just filled them back up with single occupant cars whose owners are rich enough to carve out an exception for themselves

bandaids like hov won’t ever work imo. the only real solution is to finally suck in our collective fat american guts and get to work building real mass transit systems but lol at the chances of that happening in our late capitalist foreverially corrupted (and loving it) hellworld

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Problem: We have too many cars.

Solution: Ban cars.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pre-emptive :nallears: in the direction of Shaggar

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BobHoward posted:

hov lanes seem to be bullshit in the first place

they reduce the effective lane count of roads at peak traffic hours, making congestion worse and often making the road less safe due to high speed difference between hov and normal lanes

i admit i have no data to back this up but i would be amazed if the net increase in passengers per vehicle offsets the downsides. anecdotally, before they started selling hov indulgences in California, the hov lanes were mostly empty during rush hour. now they’ve just filled them back up with single occupant cars whose owners are rich enough to carve out an exception for themselves

bandaids like hov won’t ever work imo. the only real solution is to finally suck in our collective fat american guts and get to work building real mass transit systems but lol at the chances of that happening in our late capitalist foreverially corrupted (and loving it) hellworld

the main part of their bullshit is that they serve lower capacity than a regularass lane while still taking up the same space (or even a little more)

this is because legislators think they can direct traffic behavior using as little effort as possible

so instead of doing anything concrete that gets cars off of roads, they went with "how bout we widen the roads, and this time it'll be different because we widened them differently" - all without actually addressing why so many people need to drive in the first place

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

iospace posted:

Problem: We have too many cars.

Solution: Ban cars.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No joke a conversation I had today:
"It took me 15 minutes to get home today"
"It would take you 15 minutes if you walked to work"
"... but that would require putting myself at risk!"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

"... but that would require putting myself at risk!"
Don't the US have like 20-40k death by car per loving year?

mystes
May 31, 2006

sounds like the tolls are too low

although this being VA, i'm guessing there are no trains or anything either, so it's more like drive or don't go
I think the start location in that map is literally on top of the dunn loring metro station.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 19, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't the US have like 20-40k death by car per loving year?

yeah but those are just the bad drivers, not like me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

I think the start location in that map is literally on top of the dunn loring metro station.

lmao. you're right.

eat a sack of dicks tollhavers. if you're spending $50 to sit in your car for an hour instead of taking the metro, you deserve it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The best part of the Metro is YOU'RE A PASSENGER, YOU GET TO SIT ON YOUR PHONE AND DICK AROUND AND NO ONE WILL YELL AT YOU.

Unless you have sound on or are talking loudly on the phone, in which case you're a dick.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and riding your bike means you get exercise.

Which explains why Shaggar hates it :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I honestly can't imagine anyone willingly inflicting that commute by car on themselves, but if you live somewhere really far out it also can be more time consuming/expensive to even get to public transportation.

On the other hand, the people who are commuting from places like Purcellvile are people who are willing to become supercommuters in exchange for having nicer houses so they might be crazy in the first place.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I did a supercommute once, but it was pretty much because the cost of having to rent two places at once was more expensive than paying for one and gas.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

iospace posted:

The best part of the Metro is YOU'RE A PASSENGER, YOU GET TO SIT ON YOUR PHONE AND DICK AROUND AND NO ONE WILL YELL AT YOU.

Unless you have sound on or are talking loudly on the phone, in which case you're a dick.

lol driving a car doesn't stop a ton of people from still doing that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

My Linux Rig posted:

if the prices were exorbitant for using it outside of carpooling and it all went to funding public transit, I wouldn’t be too against that

but I’m guessing that is not the case here

the local transit authority will keep the money (there's no regional transit authority, it's all little fiefdoms) but they're restricted to spending it "within the corridor" on whatever transportation projects the locals decide

they've already indicated that they want to use the profits to further expand these express lanes along 101 all the way between san francisco and san jose, but this transit authority also operates a light rail service in the area that's getting built out (as well as buses), so it could potentially get used for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bulgakov posted:

lol driving a car doesn't stop a ton of people from still doing that

Yeah but this way you get to do it legally. And avoid tickets.