Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i had the exact same hangup at my last job which was a shitshow and-

qhat posted:

Let me tell you how long it took me to get over leaving my previous company that I was fond of.

About 30 seconds after leaving the building.

^ ^ ^ ^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
lol the recruiter just got back to me with "i'll try to get the increase you asked for, but to be totally transparent, i've never heard of an adjustment that significant."

i asked for 4% over their offer.

i'm not mad, he's not lying any more than i was

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

raminasi posted:

lol the recruiter just got back to me with "i'll try to get the increase you asked for, but to be totally transparent, i've never heard of an adjustment that significant."

i asked for 4% over their offer.

i'm not mad, he's not lying any more than i was

Hahahaha a $7k adjustment is beyond the pale for them? They're puttin' you on

On the other hand I've had a company abruptly stop negotiations and rescind a verbal offer when I asked for $5k over their offer (or, barring that, a weekend to consider) so what do I know

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Not a Children posted:

On the other hand I've had a company abruptly stop negotiations and rescind a verbal offer when I asked for $5k over their offer (or, barring that, a weekend to consider) so what do I know

You know that was a trash company and gently caress them.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Not a Children posted:

the only thing I can think of is that the counter was so little of an increase that they knew it was a token and I didn’t actually care

but if they yank it because of that then hoo boy that’d eclipse every green flag I’ve seen from them so far

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ratbert90 posted:

You know that was a trash company and gently caress them.

Oh yes. Besides that, they were originally interviewing me for a senior position with a higher salary on offer but they pulled the bait and switch on me when I told them I would want some time to learn their processes and standards before I'd be comfortable stamping their drawings, saying that I didn't have enough experience for the senior role but I could totally get there soon!!!!

I had sketch vibes the whole way through, so they probably did me a favor by yanking the offer

raminasi posted:

the only thing I can think of is that the counter was so little of an increase that they knew it was a token and I didn’t actually care

but if they yank it because of that then hoo boy that’d eclipse every green flag I’ve seen from them so far

Pulling an offer for something like that is a grade-A-moron shoot-themselves-in-the-dick power play. If they do, gently caress 'em.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Well, looks like I might have an onsite soon :toot:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

iospace posted:

Well, looks like I might have an onsite soon :toot:

nice.

recruiter for company that set up on site called me today to tell me "CTO had some ideas this weekend and we're changing the way we hire for mobile roles so we'll get back to you once that process is settled." I guess I dodged a bullet?? Also someone is surprise quitting the iOS team and suddenly everyone is being nice to me while giving me his work. I feel like I should say no unless I get taken of the performance plan. Can't wait to get the gently caress out of here too.

anyways why would a company(big mobile payments co) have a 6 hour on site? that sounds so miserable i almost want to bomb the pair programming(no i don't i need money)

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

KidDynamite posted:

nice.

recruiter for company that set up on site called me today to tell me "CTO had some ideas this weekend and we're changing the way we hire for mobile roles so we'll get back to you once that process is settled." I guess I dodged a bullet?? Also someone is surprise quitting the iOS team and suddenly everyone is being nice to me while giving me his work. I feel like I should say no unless I get taken of the performance plan. Can't wait to get the gently caress out of here too.

anyways why would a company(big mobile payments co) have a 6 hour on site? that sounds so miserable i almost want to bomb the pair programming(no i don't i need money)

Of course they're nice to you because they want something from you. I don't know, is it even possible to get off a PIP? Why bother caring if they're going to get rid of you anyway? gently caress 'em!

n.b. I don't know what I'm doing, don't listen to me.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So :yotj: check-in, a few days into my new job and it’s going really well. They don’t seem to feel like NOC Jocks need to be doing something all the time (which invariably leads to problems when the busy work means we’re not watching whatever it is that’s being monitored).

Seems good?

:shrug:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Check in: that's 5/5 no thank yous, now I have nothing in the pipeline and need to start emailing recruiters again.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

gonadic io posted:

Check in: that's 5/5 no thank yous, now I have nothing in the pipeline and need to start emailing recruiters again.

Keep going friend. I'm in the same boat, bunch of no thank yous(including one this am), and a rescinded invite for on-site. This is not helping with my impostor syndrome :(

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KidDynamite posted:

a rescinded invite for on-site.

if it’s any consolation, there’s basically no way this could have been because of you personally

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

gonadic io posted:

keep at it, its a wild and unfun game, but you get paid at the end eventually at least

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
I quit my hotel, I will start devving on 22nd of April. I don't know how to program, but by God, I will succeed!

Thanks for the T&P's, これからもよろしくお願いします

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Piano Maniac posted:

I quit my hotel, I will start devving on 22nd of April. I don't know how to program, but by God, I will succeed!

Thanks for the T&P's, これからもよろしくお願いします

:toot:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

gonadic io posted:

Seconding the keep at it, its a numbers game.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
2k base increase, 10k more signing. is it huge? no. was it awkward? a little. did i have to do more than frown for 60 seconds and ask a question to get it? gently caress no.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

raminasi posted:

2k base increase, 10k more signing. is it huge? no. was it awkward? a little. did i have to do more than frown for 60 seconds and ask a question to get it? gently caress no.

Nice! Can I ask where you're located and what type of company? I don't see base salaries that high very often, usually they're heavier on stock. Of course, I'm not in SF or NYC.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fart Johnson posted:

Nice! Can I ask where you're located and what type of company? I don't see base salaries that high very often, usually they're heavier on stock. Of course, I'm not in SF or NYC.

health care tech in nyc. it’s more base than I was expecting too but I’m not gonna complain.

I’m still gonna be a little nervous until I sign the offer tonight

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

raminasi posted:

health care tech in nyc. it’s more base than I was expecting too but I’m not gonna complain.

I’m still gonna be a little nervous until I sign the offer tonight

I am always nervous as gently caress until the moment I sit at my desk and get a key card lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

raminasi posted:

You just made 12k for an hour's worth of work. Congrats.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Does anyone have good questions or advice for intuition-building around comparing offers from startups vs more established companies?

In past interview cycles I've only interviewed either exclusively at small places or exclusively at big places. Obviously if you're going to a public company then you have a rough idea of how high your figgies will stack just by checking the stock price and praying for not too much variability. And, I guess given my past experience I'm content with going to small places, taking whatever offer they throw at me, and hope for mega stock splits down the road or something. This time, though, I kind of have to do an apples-to-apples comparison against:

- X (~1500 employees, series E, 785M raised, ~20B valuation)
- Y (~80 employees, series C, 70M raised, ??? valuation)
- Z (~80 employees, series C, 170M raised ~1.1B valuation)

The problem here is that this set's spread is pretty wide here so I don't know how to tackle comparing these just from a "how much cheddar is going to come out the other end" perspective.

What sorts of things would you ask here? Is it simple enough to ask about "valuation multiplied by percentage of ownership", or is that an easily-massagable metric?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dijkstracula posted:

Does anyone have good questions or advice for intuition-building around comparing offers from startups vs more established companies?

In past interview cycles I've only interviewed either exclusively at small places or exclusively at big places. Obviously if you're going to a public company then you have a rough idea of how high your figgies will stack just by checking the stock price and praying for not too much variability. And, I guess given my past experience I'm content with going to small places, taking whatever offer they throw at me, and hope for mega stock splits down the road or something. This time, though, I kind of have to do an apples-to-apples comparison against:

The problem here is that this set's spread is pretty wide here so I don't know how to tackle comparing these just from a "how much cheddar is going to come out the other end" perspective.

What sorts of things would you ask here? Is it simple enough to ask about "valuation multiplied by percentage of ownership", or is that an easily-massagable metric?

$0

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Value company at 1 p/e. Sucks if you dont have earnings data

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Value company at 1 p/e. Sucks if you dont have earnings data

Is earnings data something that one can reasonably ask to see?

p/e makes sense (though I guess this biases towards the more established company that is less dependent on VC funding...which is maybe the sensible point after all); at that point I presumably can equate two companies by this over the number of shares (e.g. twice as many shares at a places with half the p/e balances out)?

edit: also ty for the response :shobon:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if they're venture backed and have earnings that are a positive number

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

anyone have a deece offer comparison spreadsheet i can use?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
a series e round is an eyebrow raiser for sure.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

elite_garbage_man posted:

a series e round is an eyebrow raiser for sure.
idk the last 5 on crunchbase seem legit, redis & databricks?

ive worked for startups but nothing close to those options

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i guess if nobody is doing IPOs and people from the D round want to cash in...

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

idk the last 5 on crunchbase seem legit, redis & databricks?

ive worked for startups but nothing close to those options

right, like SOMA startup darling slack dot com is up to a series h, so for better or worse an E isn't super out of the question these days

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dijkstracula posted:

your odds of getting more than a modest bonus out of a successful exit hover around 0 in all three of these scenarios

employee shares aren't worth poo poo

to put it another way: the smallest of these is looking to piss away $70M in actual cash. they're not google, starving for dollars in their early days. if the employee shares were actually worth as much or more than the par value, why would they give you any shares? It's a sucker's bet.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
ask them what their liquidation preferences look like

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I meant that as something to consider since they've gained some traction. Then again if it's a series E for some company that you've never heard of, it could be a bad sign.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

so my linkedin headline is some poo poo about drinking coffee and programming and this is an intro message i got from a recruiter lmao

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

You sure thats not your okcupid profile?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
If you don't pun on "black" it's a missed opportunity.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Coco13 posted:

If you don't pun on "black" it's a missed opportunity.

Yeah, they were looking at a six figures steal right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

I just got to the salary survey in here and having every company ive talked to tell me that asking for $110k with no other perks is pushing it when you guys are all like "yeah i just got $150k with another $200k in stock options and $50k signing bonus. im not crazy about it but beggars can't be choosers" is making me feel some type of way