Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

rational and good-faith actors

rational and good-faith market

It's why capitalism is the best way to distribute resources...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
https://twitter.com/watsontots/status/1107712421114847233?s=21

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Her real secret was putting weird creepy rich guys in the friend zone.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Food Boner posted:

not to dogpile but cmon

I'm saying I can see where people would suppress some doubt in the back of their minds because of this

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I can't but think a big factor in Theranos was rich old fucks going "WOW THIS poo poo IS AWESOME" and then some expert scientist type points out it's total nonsense, but all the rich gently caress sees is Snively Robotnik daring to kill his investment boner and slaps down a multi-million dollar cheque with a resounding "gently caress YOU, NERD"

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

Ytlaya posted:

I have an idea for a pill that will cure all cancers. Sure, my idea probably won't work, but wouldn't it be amazing and ambitious if it did?

Basically what I'm saying is that people should give me a lot of money and praise because of my inspirational vision. When you think of the social value of curing all cancers, even if my idea only has a 0.0001% chance of working that's gotta be worth a few million, right?

Reminds me of the bit from Tom Segura about his rear end in a top hat cousin who just 'invents' stuff: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/bopc55/mash-up-algorithm---little-muddy---tom-segura---inventor-cousin

You see it's a phone that drives your car... Wow, that's great how does it work? Well, just you, you know program it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Shifty Pony posted:

people have been trying to make it a thing since forever. like seriously there are entire classes of patents for fully automated cocktail systems.

there's just not a large enough market for it. people who will spend on high end cocktails like the preparation rituals and bottles. people who dgaf aren't going to pay a premium for cartridges when Uncle Jesus's jug-o-tequila does the job just fine.

on the commercial side bar owners don't want a machine to maintain, multiple bartenders generally beat the machine in speed because they can mix a bunch of drinks at the same time, and patrons generally like watching the bartenders work.

as an amateur cocktail maker, i think a cocktail machine would be super limited even if you used a lot of really expensive robotics. like im not sure the research exists to build a reliable robot that can cleanly and sanitarily slice a citrus fruit in all of the ways that you need to for standard cocktails

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

as an amateur cocktail maker, i think a cocktail machine would be super limited even if you used a lot of really expensive robotics. like im not sure the research exists to build a reliable robot that can cleanly and sanitarily slice a citrus fruit in all of the ways that you need to for standard cocktails

I was going to say “any mass market cocktail machine is going to be to an actual bartender what keurig is to anyone who owns a coffee grinder” before I remembered Keurig literally set this derail in motion so lol

Basically expect powered citrus “flavor packets”

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If you think all bartenders reliably, cleanly and sanitarily slice a citrus fruit, you maybe want to sit down, i have some bad news for you... Also I imagine you slice the citrus and add it yourself as a finishing touch, together with the straw or whatever.

That said, yeah cocktail machines suck in theory and in practice. It'll be just like the self-service kiosks at mcdonalds, but with even worse UI and execution in general.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I was going to say “any mass market cocktail machine is going to be to an actual bartender what keurig is to anyone who owns a coffee grinder” before I remembered Keurig literally set this derail in motion so lol

Basically expect powered citrus “flavor packets”

Japan has us beat.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's basically the sales pitch from the white van speaker scam. telling a lie in order to spin a "sale" that is extremely time-limited is one of the oldest tricks in the book

it's called 'creating a sense of urgency' and it is indeed sales 101

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
Although I do see the marketing angle, "Hey owner of poo poo night club, tired of your staff stealing, over pouring and loving up cocktails? Well do I have the solution for you!!!". I've worked in the industry for close to 15 years in various roles (management now) and seriously the best, and in my view only, solution to basically every problem a club or bar might have is to pay your staff well and treat them like adults. I've NEVER seen a technical solution fix anything other then perhaps really corporate chains, but i mean they'll suck either way.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
yeah a bar would really suck if it was staffed by robots.

also why is there rubi on the instructions for the liquor vending machine, isnt rubi used so kids can read more complex/advanced kanji?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Churchill posted:

If you think all bartenders reliably, cleanly and sanitarily slice a citrus fruit, you maybe want to sit down, i have some bad news for you... Also I imagine you slice the citrus and add it yourself as a finishing touch, together with the straw or whatever.

you must go to some divey bars lol

and yeah you are correct that fruit is used as a garnish, but it is also used as an actual ingredient. and my more general point is that there are many regular, non-exotic cocktails that have ingredients that don't (or shouldn't) come out of a bottle, and all of these require many different forms of manual dexterity. so unless you are going to build a perfect set of robotic hands and eyes, or you're going to build some rube goldberg monstrosity with like eight different attachments for limes and six for oranges and seven for mint, you are going to have a machine that saves a marginal amount of time on a small % of the drinks you serve

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Churchill posted:

the best, and in my view only, solution to basically every problem a club or bar might have is to pay your staff well and treat them like adults.

*laughs in capitalism*

Good one, now where's the robot?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Wachter posted:

I can't but think a big factor in Theranos was rich old fucks going "WOW THIS poo poo IS AWESOME" and then some expert scientist type points out it's total nonsense, but all the rich gently caress sees is Snively Robotnik daring to kill his investment boner and slaps down a multi-million dollar cheque with a resounding "gently caress YOU, NERD"

no, it wasn't even that sophisticated. it was a bunch of VC investors looking at some 19 year old with a handdrawn sketch on the back of a biology 101 test she failed going 'well she wears a black turtleneck, seems legit' and giving her millions of dollars.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm watching this Theranos documentary finally and holy poo poo this woman is certifiably insane just looking at her and watching her talk.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

probably the biggest takeway is how easy it is to fool investors.

like, going "What if coffee tables, but internet?" and then putting your hand out for them to fill it with money

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

I'm watching this Theranos documentary finally and holy poo poo this woman is certifiably insane just looking at her and watching her talk.

the voice is 100% fake

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

the voice is 100% fake

I know! And it's so obviously fake.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

and yeah you are correct that fruit is used as a garnish, but it is also used as an actual ingredient. and my more general point is that there are many regular, non-exotic cocktails that have ingredients that don't (or shouldn't) come out of a bottle, and all of these require many different forms of manual dexterity. so unless you are going to build a perfect set of robotic hands and eyes, or you're going to build some rube goldberg monstrosity with like eight different attachments for limes and six for oranges and seven for mint, you are going to have a machine that saves a marginal amount of time on a small % of the drinks you serve

It's really the same problem as Juicero. Sure it saves a little time have a machine that can squeeze fruit into a smoothie, but why the gently caress would I spend $100+ plus on that?? Why the gently caress am i gonna spend hundreds of dollars on a machine that takes two fluids and mixes them together, and then puts a little salt on top?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

It's really the same problem as Juicero. Sure it saves a little time have a machine that can squeeze fruit into a smoothie, but why the gently caress would I spend $100+ plus on that?? Why the gently caress am i gonna spend hundreds of dollars on a machine that takes two fluids and mixes them together, and then puts a little salt on top?

the thing with juicero is that if it was a mechanism that could easily make actual juice, which is a loving pain in the rear end to make at home, then maybe it'd have a market, but it just takes a bunch of pulped fruit and squeezes them. that's not even a thing!

i do wish there was a quality blender that could make completely smooth smoothies that doesn't cost $400 (gently caress you vitamix and blendtec).

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001
Re: Theranos and how cool and good it would be if it actually worked, I feel like this video is on-topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGMY63FF3Q

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

probably the biggest takeway is how easy it is to fool investors.

like, going "What if coffee tables, but internet?" and then putting your hand out for them to fill it with money

the more things change the more they stay the same

i think this leisuretown was made in like 1998

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
My takeaway from the book was that any rational skepticism investors may have had about the legitimacy of Theranos tech was overshadowed by the slim possibility that Holmes had done the impossible and they'd be turning down kajillions of dollars of profit if they walked away from the table. Not only that, but those kajillions of dollars would go to their competitors instead!!

So everyone fell over themselves and threw money at Theranos in order to obtain exclusive rights in what would have been a multi-billion dollar market. There simply wasn't any time for due diligence in this scenario.

tl;dr: greed

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I sure do! I work at a fairly fancy bar/night club so yeah gently caress going somewhere like that in my time off.

You are right of course, I was just going for a cheap dig. The solution naturally is powdered lime, as mentioned by another poster earlier. Either that or preloading the robot with the cuts or slices of fruit you might neeed in slots or whatever, which is even more ridiculous so I fully expect that to be a thing somewhere.

Either that or give someone money and teach them to do it with their hands, but thats not disruptive and only nerds do it that way bro

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the thing with juicero is that if it was a mechanism that could easily make actual juice, which is a loving pain in the rear end to make at home, then maybe it'd have a market, but it just takes a bunch of pulped fruit and squeezes them. that's not even a thing!

i do wish there was a quality blender that could make completely smooth smoothies that doesn't cost $400 (gently caress you vitamix and blendtec).

On the flip side as a engineer I really enjoyed the hilarious Juicero tear-down article.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lote posted:

Japan has us beat.

I live in Pennsylvania, home of state monopolies, complicated things involving distributors, and weird laws regarding ounces sold at convenience stores, so this is some star trek poo poo from here

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Taintrunner posted:

She doesn't blink! Like, not ever. It's creepy as gently caress :stonk:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wachter posted:

<doing dumb poo poo> to own the <big doodyheads and their skepticism> is probably going to end up at the core of the far-future postmortem that'll get written on the first great tech bubble of the 21st century.

Thousands of people intentionally bought in, at great expense, to the mere possibility of owning a vehicle known to specialize in no fewer than four (drowning, crushing via opportunistic collision, decapitation via precision collision, spontaneous combustion) ways of automatically killing passengers.

Contemporary records share one common thread in explaining why these thousands of people laid down such sums on what is effectively a rickety suicide booth: "owning the shorts" was more important than anything including survival. Posterity need inquire no further.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
*even further in the future*

Owning shorts was important due to the unchecked rise of sea levels at the time

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Shugojin posted:

I live in Pennsylvania, home of state monopolies, complicated things involving distributors, and weird laws regarding ounces sold at convenience stores, so this is some star trek poo poo from here

Ah yes. Fond memories of visiting PA and spending 15+ minutes trying to find where the gently caress the beer was in the grocery store. I ended up buying a sixer from a restaurant next-door.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Ah yes. Fond memories of visiting PA and spending 15+ minutes trying to find where the gently caress the beer was in the grocery store. I ended up buying a sixer from a restaurant next-door.

If it wasn't in the last few years, it was nowhere in the grocery store

if it was in the last few years, it would have been in a special part of the store with separate registers and a iirc no less than 30 seats because they're all bar licenses

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shugojin posted:

A dumb rust belt state in which the only center of civilization is overrun with one of the worst type of sports fan.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
hey we recently let grocery stores get licensed to sell beer!!!

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I wasted a lot of time in Indiana walking around looking for a cold six-pack of beer before I realized that nobody carries them, at all, anywhere. Mmmm, warm beer in July in Indiana.

Now preparing for the 3-page "state liquor laws are wacky" derail.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Shugojin posted:

If it wasn't in the last few years, it was nowhere in the grocery store

At the time I was there, beer could only be purchased by the case at some loving warehouse. Can't buy liquor at that warehouse though. Nope, you have to go to a specialty state liquor store for that. Jesus loving christ I just wanted to get my drink on.

EDIT: sorry, berth ell pup!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

she had this awfully compelling baritone

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

"she was really good at lying"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

but more seriously, you greedy motherfuckers got blinded by the concept of money, she gave you all a blatant impersonation of Steve Jobs and the idea that it was an iPhone for the healthcare industry and you couldn't throw money at it fast enough

stop pretending you aren't just suckers