Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
What sounds neat would be something like the recent Super Sentai Strongest Battle where you have five or six teams with one representative each working together, though that's probably best reserved for anniversaries or such to avoid having to explain why there's only one member from each group. I do agree that having every team would have gotten unmanageable, even when I watched the Heartcatch All-Stars movie it was a bit unsatisfying because they want every team to get focus, so you just ended up having multiple villains laughing evilly and then each team just did their finishers and immediately defeated them.

Larryb posted:

If you do ever feel like checking out some older shows then Suite and Go Princess are both great choices (as is Splash Star if you haven’t seen that one either). Last year’s season Hugtto was also good though I have some issues with how it ended.

I kinda want to watch Suite now, like I said I watched the first episode of it and I liked it but just never watched any more of it. Where are good places to find it? I know someone said Doremi sucks and that's the only place I know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I haven’t had any issues with Doremi. Kinda weird the lengths they’ll go to keep from translating the word “senpai”, but they get the point across, and that’s all that really matters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, they’re not TV-Nihon level bad as far as I can tell. I’m not sure if anyone else did Suite but if Doremi’s your only option then just go with that.

Speaking of which, is there a master list out there somewhere of who subbed which season?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/status/1105524046131675136

Toei it'd be easier to show appreciation if it aired in North America!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What on Earth is going on with Cure White's arm there?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/status/1105524046131675136

Toei it'd be easier to show appreciation if it aired in North America!

Well Hasbro owns the rights currently but it’s still up in the air at this point whether they’ll ever actually do something with it (and if they do whether it’ll be any better than the previous two attempts). The Canadian produced Futari dub was probably the best attempt so far but that’s not saying a whole lot.

Also I think Honoka’s arm is broken in that picture.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 13, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The only Suite Precure batch is one entire chunk of episodes, so I'm downloading them a few at a time rather than trying to get 19 gigs worth of something at once. I'm at episode five right now, and I'm mostly enjoying it. I had forgotten how little of a poo poo Hummy gives about anything going on.

Mephisto: "Mwa ha ha I am going to steal the Score of Happiness!"
Hummy: :3:
Siren: "I'm going to make this the Score of Sorrow and plunge this entire land into unending despair!"
Aphrodite: "Oh no Earth is in danger of being turned into a land of sorrow now!"

One thing I'm hoping is that the running theme of one or the other of Hibiki/Kanade going "I quit being a Precure!" stops soon. I mean, I get it, they require harmonization to transform and making them upset at each other means that the villains win by default, so trying to make them fight is going to be a sound strategy. I just feel like, from a viewer's perspective, it's a little tedious to keep having that happen. Also a minor complaint but it makes it difficult for me to take Hibiki's "I hate music!" in episode 3 seriously when at the end of episode 2 she's sitting there listening to the record smiling.

These are minor complaints really since I do think the show is good so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sailor Moon Cat gives no fucks, I love how blissfully optimistic Hummy is about most things. And yeah, Hibiki gets better as the season goes on (she's one of my favorite Pinks to be honest). The two additional Cures that join up later on are pretty good as well (one of whom may be my personal favorite Yellow after Kirara).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 15, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Episode five: Oh god I'm never going to see that jellyfish Negatone again am I? :negative: I need closure! You can't just say "They beat it off-screen"!

Episode six: Oh hey I know who this girl is from fanart. Didn't expect her to show up this early.

Actually one thing I've noticed, though I don't think it means anything in particular, is that the girls don't seem to really care about Hummy talking around other people. Not that anyone has noticed the talking cat, of course, but she definitely talks to them while they're walking around other people, or hanging out in town. This is a bit odd considering Heartcatch and Star Twinkle have "Hide the fact that we have these talking fairies" a thing, but as I said, since apparently nobody seems to notice the cat is talking, I guess there's no real reason to hide it.

The villains are operating a lot more openly in this season than others I've seen, too. Siren and the Trio have shown up at a concert and a TV filming and summoned monsters in front of the crowds. So far this hasn't seemed to make much of an impact on the townspeople, you'd think after a couple of big public displays like that talk of it would be all over the town, but maybe that'll happen later. On a side note, this does make it a little weird that it seems like Kanade tries to pass off the Negatone in episode six to Souta as a dream (or at least that's how I interpreted her telling him he was asleep).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Suite is good but it's uneven in places. Mostly cause of the Hibiki/Kanade fighting That they stop soon enough once we get into the 10's and also cause it had it's plot toned down thanks to the Earthquake

I liked it more on rewatch than watching live but that was probably due to judging it to Heartcatch which is not fair

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Suite is good but it's uneven in places. Mostly cause of the Hibiki/Kanade fighting That they stop soon enough once we get into the 10's and also cause it had it's plot toned down thanks to the Earthquake

I liked it more on rewatch than watching live but that was probably due to judging it to Heartcatch which is not fair

Hadn't heard about that before. Do we know what they had planned for the series originally?

Also be sure to watch the Suite movie after episode 36 or so (as in the actual movie, not the All Stars for that year), it's not quite as directly connected to the plot as Heartcatch's was but I feel that it does at least have some thematic relevance to events near the end of the series.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Hadn't heard about that before. Do we know what they had planned for the series originally?

No exact details but the show was to suppose have a bit more of a darker plot like the second half of Fresh and Heartcatch. The change is really noticeable when Cure Beat joins and the show just ramps up it's sillyness and I suspect
that Cure Muse's dad probably would of had a different fate than he had in the series

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like the version of Suite we did get well enough but it is sort of interesting to think about what could have been. Fresh and Heartcatch are arguably the darkest this franchise has gotten so far (though there are some moments in Go Princess and to an extent Doki Doki that might qualify, as could Siren almost having a mental breakdown during her redemption arc in Suite ), which is saying something when said shows contain characters like Love, Tarte, and Erika.

Moebius is one of the more...unsettling villains in the franchise and Heartcatch is about the only time where we see the Precure fail to save someone (or more accurately, you could say that Dark Precure ultimately couldn't be saved due to the very nature of her existence).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

We also see someone straight up get killed by the villains Sabark/Yuri's father blocks one of Dune's attacks which vaporizes him.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Moebius is great cause he works on a kids level as someone trying to destroy the Precure and works for older viewers who realize he's nothing more HAL9000 as he was just doing what he was programmed to do . Probably my favorite Magical Girl antagonist with the Book of Darkness being second

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

No exact details but the show was to suppose have a bit more of a darker plot like the second half of Fresh and Heartcatch. The change is really noticeable when Cure Beat joins and the show just ramps up it's sillyness and I suspect
that Cure Muse's dad probably would of had a different fate than he had in the series

Considering Suite aired immediately after Heartcatch that might have been a little redundant to be honest (as mentioned a few posts above Yuri's dad was killed in that series).

Poor Yuri, she essentially watched her father, her fairy, and her clone sister die in front of her and could do nothing to stop it. It's very rare (if it happened again at all) that a Precure would utterly fail to save someone (not counting some of the early villains who were straight up irredeemable that is). It’s honestly kind of impressive that she’s still sane by the end of the show as she probably gets screwed over more than any other Cure before or after her.

Somewhat related I'm kind of curious if they're going to do anything with Hikaru's dad in Star Twinkle (I don't think they've explicitly stated what happened to him as of yet).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 16, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Hikaru’s dad is probably out trying to find a tsuchinoko or something. That’s how we get our 8th cure, cure tsuchinoko.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If he does show up I hope he's exactly like his daughter if not even more so (a lot of the books/equipment she uses apparently came from him after all). Hikaru mentioned in the first episode that she's also interested in the occult so I'd like to see that get explored eventually as well.

It's weird to be saying this in regards to a Precure series but Pink needs more focus right now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 16, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Aaaand we're in space!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Aaaand we're in space!

Going by episode titles it appears they’re going to be in space for a little while it seems, which should be interesting to see (plus Fuwa can make portals so returning to Earth when needed shouldn’t be a problem).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 17, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out.

The rocket is fixed and appears to be the team's new home base now, complete with separate living quarters for each of the 4 Cures. Looks like they're going after the Libra pen next.

Also the version I saw seems to have a new translation for Hikaru's catchphrase ("Astronuts").

Next Time... (also space dogs)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1107211467076456448?s=19

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1107212557218045952?s=19

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The best part is every response on that thread spazzing out and complaining that it’s not XYZ. We are three years into SM and everyone just won’t let it go.

Like Pokemon is a solid 90% references, Hell this isn’t the first Magical Girl reference this series. People really need to let XYZ go.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even in Pokemon Yellow Henshins are the best lol

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Did that Gyarados explode

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I find it amusing that Lillie has blonde hair, and Lana has blue hair, but they transform into Blue and Yellow respectively.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

The best part is every response on that thread spazzing out and complaining that it’s not XYZ. We are three years into SM and everyone just won’t let it go.

Like Pokemon is a solid 90% references, Hell this isn’t the first Magical Girl reference this series. People really need to let XYZ go.

I forget, did something like this happen in XYZ as well?

That said, I'd be down for a Pokemon inspired Magical Girl show.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The contests were close to the whole precure deal I think they even got one of the animators of I think heartcatch to do them.

But to be clear people have been complaining since practically the first key image of Sun/Moon that it looks odd (they deliberately used a simplified art style, close to Heartcatch, that was easier to animate fluidly, something they started to pay attention to with XYZ) and isn’t muh very serious Shonen anime that XYZ played itself as with Ash being competent and such which isn’t a bad thing (sure beats whatever the hell they were playing at with BW) but Pokemon has always used the new gens to try something different.
:goonsay:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 17, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Repairing a rocket is hard, man! Did you ever try to repair a rocket? It's not all wipes and montages like in the movies. It takes forever!

Though now I'm curious where Elena was getting all that building material from.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Madoka taking government funds from her dad to use for rocket building!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, as the next few episodes seem to involve the girls' journey through space I'm curious if that means that we're just not going to be seeing their families/classmates for a while or if they'll just be bouncing back and forth as needed. I'm assuming it's the latter as otherwise that brings up the question of where their parents think they are (not to mention Elena has several younger siblings to look after).

Kappard shows up in the preview so I'm assuming the Notraiders care more about the pens than world conquest and will wind up following the Precure across the universe. I'm also curious to find out what the deal is with the mystery girl from the OP.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 19, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Speaking of mystery people in OPs, I'm wondering when masked person in the Suite opening is gonna show up. They've been there since episode one!

Got up to episode nine. Otokichi seems like he'll be someone important, he's in the opening too, and he apparently knows that Kanade and Hibiki are Precures. Which sure makes it lucky that the only two characters to react to Hummy speaking already knew about her! It's nice to see Trio the Minor get some character development instead of just sitting in the background and singing things Siren says all the time, and even Siren herself seems like she's getting some good character development.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 8: Today on Less Depressing Galaxy Express 999, our team visits the Planet of the Dog Aliens, where everything is bones. We meet the Libra Princess who is voiced by MAKO (Yurie in Kamichu, Akiha in Sora Kake Girl, Ryona in Senran Kagura, Aoi's best friend Satomi in Akibaranger) and the main dog alien was played by Kokoro Kikuchi (better known as Potpourri in Heartcatch, Sparrowmon in Xros Wars, and Gatchmon in Appmon).

Pretty fun episode overall, I also like how they got two gags out of the show opening.

Looks like we'll be bouncing back and forth after all as next time we're back on Earth for a Madoka focused episode.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 24, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The music drop and dead stare at furry Plonk was perfect.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 24, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I can’t believe I’m saying this in regards to a Pink but give Hikaru more focus, drat it. Her interests and family situation intrigue me and she may be one of my favorite overall characters so far (though Lala and Elena are up there too).

As a Precure though she seems vastly inferior to her teammates and could probably stand for an upgrade at some point.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I love that Milky has electricity powers, Soleil has fire powers, Selene has ice powers, and Star just... punches poo poo

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Stars have a lot of mass. Mass creates gravitational fields. Gravity is a force. Punches exert force. QED.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I suppose you could say that Star’s “element” is gravity though it’s a bit of a stretch. I still think she needs something new added to her arsenal to keep up with her teammates though.

Anyway, subs are out for Episode 8. Next time we’re back on Earth where it seems like Madoka is attempting to take a page from Kirara’s handbook (and I imagine it’s going to work out just as well). Iwan is holding a Dark Pen in one shot so it’s possible we’ll be getting another MotW fight as well.

I do sort of like that each general we've seen so far has their own specific style as opposed to all of them basically fulfilling the same role like we've seen with past Precure villain factions. Kappard likes to handle things personally, Tenjou typically hangs back and lets her foot soldiers do all the work and Iwan appears to be the designated monster maker of the group.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 25, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

👏 Let 👏 Hikaru 👏 Drink 👏 The 👏 Fur 👏 Potion 👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hope every trip to another planet has it's inhabitants dunk of Puruns and Hikaru