Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Character assassination..

The response was simple. Sarga would poison the Emperor's name.
The mission was not.

The first parts were easy, people dropping rumours in bars, washhouses and at fancy parties.
”Oh, did you hear, someone said the Emperor is a worshipper of Scargill.”
”I heard he has nightly orgies with all sorts of creatures.”
”A private pool with octapushes! HIC! Thash wha I heard.”
The problem with rumours is, while they spread a little quicker than the Soul Plague, they were easily denied by the Emperors supporters.

Proof, Proof was harder. The Emperor was by his status a lonely and insular person, surrounded by sycophants and guards. The Imperial Palace was an ancient structure, a beautified fortress rather than a true palace.
With the plague, it was even more tightly locked down, with only trusted visitors being allowed entry. There were anti scrying wards in place, stopping Sarga looking in, and teleportation would also be blocked.
The Emperor left the palace only on special days, and then with the entire Imperial Guard lining the streets.
Breakin in with anything other than an army would be hard, but what other way was there?

Quick point of order update. One of those time’s its hard to move the story on without your imput.

Do we
A - Convince some nobles to speak out. High ranked is better but harder.
B - find a summer palace to plant evidence in.
C - continue to agitate the peasants. They will rise soon.
D - Form up for a full frontal assault on the Palace.
E - Something else.

quote:

Mana = 99/400 (2/day at the castle)
Gold = 668,450 in the vault at Castle Scrawgill (plus the dragon's horde, not counted and not ours per say.)
Ironworks - produces iron worth 250 a month.
Income per Month - 250
Support costs per Month - 1800
Net Per month - - 1550

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”
Threen beast eggs.
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
Krull and Khrol, Seatrolls.
1249 Lesser minions,
137 trained troops, 176 other militia.
19 Vampire Octasquids.
A selection of Bodkin Eels.

Large Lab.
Medium Library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Oh, B for sure. Windsor Castle got "things" in the basement.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think B but fueled by some rumors from A. Maybe "oh I heard about strange things going on at this place when he goes there" etc etc

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
B

I mean, the fact that it's completely closed just makes this even easier; no one can actually see that it's bullshit.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Volmarias posted:

B

I mean, the fact that it's completely closed just makes this even easier; no one can actually see that it's bullshit.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

B fueled by A will lead to C. Frontal assaults are not really our style.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Direct fights just get you killed by some Hero. We don't fight, we do economics.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

BC. Peasants are credulous, Summer palace has staffers, a bit of illusion and some tentacles and you are there.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Is it too greedy to do all three?

Vote:

A - Convince some nobles to speak out. High ranked is better but harder.

B - find a summer palace to plant evidence in.

C - continue to agitate the peasants. They will rise soon.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I think we arepretty set on B with the intent to do A and C.

If this doesn't work we can start long at how the palace is getting its food and if it has plumbing for us to start exploring alternate options.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nephzinho posted:

I think we arepretty set on B with the intent to do A and C.

If this doesn't work we can start long at how the palace is getting its food and if it has plumbing for us to start exploring alternate options.

Bodkin eels up the jardines?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Outrail posted:

Bodkin eels up the jardines?

Actually, yes.

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
A. Use some of our money to buy a few nobleman.

B. Use said nobles to plant the evidence we need. But only if the Emperor has left his palace since our plague.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Deep Dark secret.

Sarga’s way around the palace guard was to shift palaces. The Summer Palace of Zhog II was by the coast, and almost as grand as the main palace - it had always been seen as were the nobility of the Empire would gather in the hot summers to bask in the cool sea breeze.
Of course, the palace was just as warded as anywhere else the Emperor would stay, but it was much less guarded.
Wards however only go so far out.

The lump of rock appeared over a mage's college researching the Soul Plague. Sarga believed in killing twenty mages with one stone.
While the authorities puzzled over the nature of this attack, Sarga sent her crack construction crew of Beaverpeople into the hole that had just been created deep under the Summer palace. They got to work, pulled on the artizans amongst the refugees and got them making the gaudiest statutes and most overworked objects they could.
Soon the beavers had finished their work, and began to tunnel upwards as quietly as they could. Their aim was good, and they came up in a underground larder that was currently empty. Some work here installed a nice hidden door and they cleaned up and exited the building without anyone knowing they were there.

The rumours of the secret temple to the dark one began to spread amongst the locals, they soon spread to the nobles and back to the capital. The Emperor of course denied them, but the stain stuck.
Then the rumours got more detailed, and some noblemen were convinced by upstanding members of the community (i.e. their secret cultist moneylenders) to lead an investigation.
They stormed through the gates of the Summer Palace. The guards were not paid enough to deal with the house guards the invading noblemen had brought with the Emperors books.

The door took them some time to find, but some telltale clues were left in the rumours, and the nobles were convinced this door had been well hidden from them.
They marched down the stairs and were shocked to see a ten foot high statue of Skargill. Around it was a pool of murky water with some kind of vicious eel swimming in it. The walls were decorated with frescoes of the dark one, and on a pedestal in front of the statue was a book with runes that twisted on the front.

The rumour was not longer a rumour, there was a secret temple beneath the Summer palace, and the Emperor's protesting fell on deaf ears. The entire political structure of the Empire began to teeter in a single night, as people afraid of the Soul Plague were now worried that their ruler was in fact perverting their religion and taking them away from the truth of Asherah.
The Truthers saw their membership swell.

As the days passed, Sarga watched the chaos in the empire. She was due to meet with Asherah to plan their next move, but as she was thinking on this, she became aware of a whispering. Looking around, she saw no one, then she realised it was coming from inside her head. She concentrated on it.
Oh great Scargill, we call upon you…. She listed to the voice and closed her eyes.
Gasps made her open them again. She was no longer in her room at Castle Scargill. She was in some parlor, with a number of men around her, the book she had placed in the hidden temple before them, their names written in it in blood.
Oh Mistress! We pledge ourselves to thee! the man tried to hold his voice, but he obviously did not expect a visitation from Scargill herself.
That was fine, Scargill was just as confused as they were.
She rallied quickly.
”Kneel! I have hear they call and shall grant you my boon.” now she looked harder, she could see they were all infected with the Soul Plague. She quickly pushed the power needed to convert them, and they watched as the infection passed from their skins. They stood streighter, more deliberate. ”Welcome to the Cult of Scargill, we have much work to do.”

We have our first in with the nobility, our first godly powers,and the nation is about to collapse!

1- How do we proceed?
A - Let Asherah deal with it.
B - Manuver one of our new noblemen to being the new Emperor.
C - Set up a council of nobles splitting power between cultists and truthers.
D - Start a population revolution, put our people in charge.
E - Start a population revolution, put Asherah’s people in charge.
D - Start a population revolution, split the power.

2 - how do we deal with Asherah?
A - acknowledge him as an equal.
B - remind him he’s a minion
C - Deal with him now, before he’s too powerful.

quote:

Mana = 80/400 (2/day at the castle)
Gold = 665,000 in the vault at Castle Scrawgill (plus the dragon's horde, not counted and not ours per say.)
Income per Month - 250
Net Per month - - 1550

Minions -
Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”
Threen beast eggs.
1249 Lesser minions,
19 Vampire Octasquids.

Large Lab.
Medium Library.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
E, A as long as he remains content being a god and doesn't try to cramp our style, let him be. We will gain in strength as he does through the dark Scargill cults that are sure to spring up. Move onto other things

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

E,"A".

Our cult will thrive in the shadows, splitting the power with Asherah's people will only highlight that they are splitting power.

Asherah may be equal in power, but we made him, and he is on our "side" of this war. So while we may acknowledge him as a peer in this conflict, he definitely shouldn't forget who made him, who saved his rear end time after time, and who is calling the shots when the big fight comes.

Let's go focus on arming some orcs, we can keep tabs on this through our cult.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
E, A

Also holy poo poo, we just heard people praying to us, and answered their prayers.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Slaan posted:

E, A as long as he remains content being a god and doesn't try to cramp our style, let him be. We will gain in strength as he does through the dark Scargill cults that are sure to spring up. Move onto other things

We never wanted to rule these folks. Let Asherah do his thing.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

EA

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Slaan posted:

Yup

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
EA Render unto Asherah that which is Asherahs, and to Scargill that which is Scargills.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

We're going to have to learn how to stop that summoning, less our cultists have been tricked/threatened into summoning us into a trap.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

D - Start a population revolution, split the power.

A - acknowledge him as an equal.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Edit: Awful AP was awful at not double posting.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 21, 2019

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

EA

OP, vote options are sporting Double D's.
. :quagmire:

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
1.C
2.C

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nephzinho posted:

E,"A".

Our cult will thrive in the shadows, splitting the power with Asherah's people will only highlight that they are splitting power.

Asherah may be equal in power, but we made him, and he is on our "side" of this war. So while we may acknowledge him as a peer in this conflict, he definitely shouldn't forget who made him, who saved his rear end time after time, and who is calling the shots when the big fight comes.

Let's go focus on arming some orcs, we can keep tabs on this through our cult.

Also, we should warn Raargh and the rogues. Getting summoned at an inopportune moment is now possible, let's make sure our friends don't think we're running out on them.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
1. D
2. Publicly do A but make sure that B happens behind the scenes somewhere.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1 G: fully automated luxury gay high-middle-age communism because someone had to
2 A

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Id say A. Ashera seems set to become an Actual God(tm). He could just planewalk to the Emperor and rat us out. And even if not, considering the line we sold to that noblewoman, , we aren't the "all the power to me" type.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
AA to be fair! "Yo, we cool. If you need help, call us, but hey we did a lot". So, if he needs us favor will be owed.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
No opinion on our next step, but Asherah is out Idiot God-Son, and we his Doting Evil God-Mother. He may be misguided with his "Let's give my followers a Paradise" and "Using the souls of the faithful to power spells is wrong", and he may not appreciate the things we do to help him (like co-opting his religion and granting ourselves divinity), but it's all to protect our Family.

Scargill's Family (no peeking!)

Asherah (Idiot God-Son)
Seaglass (Ideal Daughter) (Note: Create a secret Seaglass and Irwin worshipping offshoot of Scargill worship, our Daughter and Step-Son need divine power too.)
Irwin (Adopted Step-Son)
Raargh (Our Kid's Eccentric Aunt, Our Battle-Sister)
An Ever Expanding List of Beaver Cousins

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 25, 2019

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
In this pantheon there is a shark God, an octopus God and several ocean life themed demingods.

Oh yeah and a beaver. Don't forget the beaver.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sarga Le Revolution!.

Sarga told her cultist what she expected, then went to her meeting with Asherah.

”Greetings Asherah.” She said.

”Greetings Sarga. I see you have been busy. The Emperor was a fan of yours it seems.” Asherah replied. His voice probing.

”Smoke and mirrors my friend. The Beavers can knock up a good cultist temple in no time it seems.” She replied back. She knew now that Asherah was no longer her minion, but he was now a powerful entity in his own right, so some civility was in order - though she was happy to keep the existence of her cult a secret for as long as she could.

”Huh.” The grunt was none committal, but he did not push the matter further.  ”So, how do we best take advantage for this situation? I can feel people flocking to me.” Sarga to could now feel the uptick of something, her cult was spreading rapidly, and there was power, almost like a pressure, building.

”We bring the country down, and put your people in control.”

”A revolution? You think we can do that?”

”I think we can - the masses are afraid, a couple of personal appearances and they will flock to you. I’ll do my side and keep the Empire off balance, but once you march your army out, I’m sure many will flock to the banners.”

”I feel that you are right.” a toothy smile. ”Let us begin.”

The hammerhead banners were thrown high, and the forces of Asherah marched forwards. Asherah himself appeared in the market square of several cities. Agitators spoke on street corners, and the people were heard speaking in dark corners.

The army swelled with poorly trained but fanatical levees. Mass desertions from the Imperial army lead to two generals forming their own forces. These kept themselves neutral from the Imperial and Truther forces, their leaders denouncing the Emperor but not acknowledging the leaders from Asherahs flock. Pulling the middle ground until they could see which way the width was blowing.

Sarga helped from the sidelines, shipments ended up in the wrong camp, PRIESTS ended up in the wrong camp. Powerful people fell dead at poorly timed moments.

The hot war started in earnest after two months. Asherahs army marched out and destroyed the remnants of the any sent to destroy them. They to then marched and invested the city of Glorak.

The city resisted, they were controlled by nobles who were still loyal to the Emperor.

The city's walls were poorly maintained, but the troops were well places, and the mob launched themselves at the walls without any preparation. They carried the day, but with heavy losses. The better trained men held back, so the army on the other side were smaller, but more experienced.

The next month showed them advancing at greater speed. They headed to the capital, knowing that a decapitation strike would end the war.

The Emperor marshelled his forces. His loyal commanders and troops readied themselves for the battle.

The two sides lined up for battle, and began the posturing, faints and counter faints from the cavalry and scouts set the final lines.

Day dawned on the day of battle, and men set themselves for war.

A chanting rose from the Imperial troops. It started low, but began to raise in volume.

”Asherah. Asherah. Asherah ASHERAH.

The crowd began to part, and from it strode a figure. Ten feet tall, its head that of a hammerhead shark.

This was Asherah, but not. This was Asherah through the lens of an empire. Whereas Sargas creation was lean and more humble, this thing was sleek, lacking scars and marks, its skin was dark grey, but with a pearlescent sheen.

It hefted a huge sword. And the army cheered.

Their Asherah had arrived.

Woops. There's another god in town. How do we respond.

A - send in Asherah, this is his fight.

B - Pound the thing with long range magic.

C - Let the battle play out.

D - Wake an egg and send in an Obsidionilla.

E - Go ourselves. Face a fake god with a devil.

F - Something else.

quote:

Mana = 400/400  (2/day at the castle)

Gold = 660,000 in the vault at Castle Scrawgill (plus the dragon's horde, not counted and not ours per say.)

Income per Month -  250

Net Per month -  - 1550

Minions -

Threen beast eggs.

1249 Lesser minions,

19 Vampire Octasquids.

Large Lab.

Medium Library.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

AB

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
What about trying to make so the other asherah seems to be a fake created by us? That would cause it to lose faith, which is its power

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
E

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007