Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What if I use emacs vim and sublime and sometimes even that lovely notepad clone that ships with every linux de depending on circumstance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I like Kate.......

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

bigperm posted:

Emacs has tetris.

In my second CompSci class we used Scheme to learn different types of programming paradigms. My course project was a graphical CoreWars game running inside Emacs. I still have the code, but haven't been able to figure out where to find the XDRAW extension required for Emacs.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

What if I use emacs vim and sublime and sometimes even that lovely notepad clone that ships with every linux de depending on circumstance

Do you use rsub w/ sublime? Cause you should use rsub with sublime.

also if you don't use emacs but use evil mode to make it more like VI, idk who you are.

edit: https://github.com/henrikpersson/rsub

Also :s/foo/bar/ works in evil/spacemacs

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 13, 2019

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SoftNum posted:

Do you use rsub w/ sublime? Cause you should use rsub with sublime.

also if you don't use emacs but use evil mode to make it more like VI, idk who you are.

What is rsub?

I tried evil mode briefly when I was trying out spacemacs but I decided to stick with just normal emacs since the learning curve on vi-style controls is just a bit too steep for me. Although if there were a shorter way to use M-x replace-string that would be handy....

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I like Kate.......

Kate and Konsole are best in class, imo, and 2 of the main reasons I keep going back to kde.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Speaking of KDE, I got an Arch install loaded on ye olde laptop and was setting it up on Plasma and noted it understands how laptops with 2 batteries works. Anything Gnome or derivative of that I tried would shut off my laptop when the first battery is drained. Not with Plasma, properly hands it off to the 2nd battery gracefully and I’m thankful for that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Speaking of KDE, I got an Arch install loaded on ye olde laptop and was setting it up on Plasma and noted it understands how laptops with 2 batteries works. Anything Gnome or derivative of that I tried would shut off my laptop when the first battery is drained. Not with Plasma, properly hands it off to the 2nd battery gracefully and I’m thankful for that.

KDE is the superior DE :colbert:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

KDE is the superior DE :colbert:

I mean it's certainly nice that they have a design philosophy that melds with users. I don't know what Gnome was doing when they decided to kill things like a dang systray.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I mean it's certainly nice that they have a design philosophy that melds with users. I don't know what Gnome was doing when they decided to kill things like a dang systray.

It doesn't look like they know either.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
KDE realy is great, it has come a long way from the klunky feel it had years ago.

The problem I have with it is that 3D acceleration is not up to snuff on my machine it seems. But I don't know if that is KDE, the NVidia drivers I am running or something else entirely.

Too bad that there seems to have been a big regression in driver performance for NVidia cards on Linux making it pretty hard to get a baseline of the performance you can expect.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
When I installed tmux on Fedora KDE a few weeks ago I started getting weirdly named directories in ~

They looked something like

/home/me/Rgw''$uiev'hwo

Just by trial and error I ended up removing tmux from the "run custom" command part of konsole and went back to plain bash.

The funny directory creation stopped. I was getting 3 or 4 empty directories a week. Seemingly at random.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

KDE realy is great, it has come a long way from the klunky feel it had years ago.

The problem I have with it is that 3D acceleration is not up to snuff on my machine it seems. But I don't know if that is KDE, the NVidia drivers I am running or something else entirely.

Too bad that there seems to have been a big regression in driver performance for NVidia cards on Linux making it pretty hard to get a baseline of the performance you can expect.

Blind fire guess, take a look at this. I'm running a 1080 with the proprietary drivers on KDE and it works like a champ.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I still run KDE in 2D mode because it extends battery life by like 2h lmao

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Kate and Konsole are best in class, imo, and 2 of the main reasons I keep going back to kde.

I don't like Kate nearly as much as Sublime, but yeah, Konsole is excellent and probably my favourite TE. If only it supported SIXEL...

Truga posted:

I still run KDE in 2D mode because it extends battery life by like 2h lmao

I run it in Wayland mode, which has better battery life and performance than the X11 version at the cost of completely loving up some games.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I tried several DEs over the past year or two and ended up settling on KDE as well. It's really nice.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah last time i installed my laptop it defaulted to x11 so now it's still on x11. i need to figure out how to switch to wayland one day.

otoh i accidentally nuked the package db about half a year ago so maybe it's just time for a reinstall

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Truga posted:

yeah last time i installed my laptop it defaulted to x11 so now it's still on x11. i need to figure out how to switch to wayland one day.

otoh i accidentally nuked the package db about half a year ago so maybe it's just time for a reinstall

On SUSE it's just a matter of installing plasma5-session-wayland and then selecting "KDE Plasma (Wayland)" instead of "KDE Plasma" in SDDM when you log in. No idea about other distros though.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

On SUSE it's just a matter of installing plasma5-session-wayland and then selecting "KDE Plasma (Wayland)" instead of "KDE Plasma" in SDDM when you log in. No idea about other distros though.

It's the same in Fedora. Whether or not it will work (that is , the video card and drivers and everything works with wayland) is a completely different matter. Many moons ago I tried it on my 970GTX desktop with proprietary drivers and no dice. On an intel cpu + video laptop works like a charm.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Volguus posted:

It's the same in Fedora.

Oh cool. I'll try it later today then. And yeah thinking of trying out suse, since it's built for kde first and in europe. Fedora's great and all but multilingual options are poo poo. i.e. fcitx-mozc only exists on a 3rd party repo that might or might not update next time the libraries do.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

G-Prime posted:

Blind fire guess, take a look at this. I'm running a 1080 with the proprietary drivers on KDE and it works like a champ.

You needed any of the fixes mentioned? I am also running the Nvidia drivers.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I remember having to set an environment variable to fix the stuttering and tearing, but that's it in my case.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I have a box at home with Ubuntu server set up on it, and would like to access it from outside. I have a couple of Linux VPS's as well, and am trying to figure out the best way to get SSH to be accessible from outside. I seem to be too dumb to understand SSH forwarding somehow - is there another / better way to do this? Even if I have to buy a little VPS or something and forward the traffic through that. I can't really seem to phrase the idea correctly enough to find a way to do it. I also only need port 22 open for this (though it would be nice if I could forward all ports). I am somewhat certain that the IPv4 address in this building is shared among all the residents, and I have never had great look with port forwarding on a home router anyway. What's the easiest way to do this? Also note that this server is only really for backup / loving around, so security is not really in any way a concern.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

du -hast posted:

I have a box at home with Ubuntu server set up on it, and would like to access it from outside. I have a couple of Linux VPS's as well, and am trying to figure out the best way to get SSH to be accessible from outside. I seem to be too dumb to understand SSH forwarding somehow - is there another / better way to do this? Even if I have to buy a little VPS or something and forward the traffic through that. I can't really seem to phrase the idea correctly enough to find a way to do it. I also only need port 22 open for this (though it would be nice if I could forward all ports). I am somewhat certain that the IPv4 address in this building is shared among all the residents, and I have never had great look with port forwarding on a home router anyway. What's the easiest way to do this? Also note that this server is only really for backup / loving around, so security is not really in any way a concern.
If you don't have control over your router to set up a port forward to your system, your best bet is a forwarding service like ngrok.

It can be self-hosted if you prefer;
https://github.com/inconshreveable/ngrok/blob/master/docs/SELFHOSTING.md

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Also, there's quite a clash going on with the avatar/signature and the question being asked. :jail2:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I have recently gotten a position as a redhat linux admin however I only have 2 years of minimal experience with redhat and I am required to get RHCSA within 6 months, what sites and training do you guys recommend to study and help me learn?

Note I have doen the Army's skillport training for RHCSA but it as all videos and minor quizzes with no labs so I didn't get much out of it

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I used the Michael Jang book to get my RHCSA. Go through it once thoroughly and once again more quickly, for good measure.

You should be able to go through it really slowly and follow it to the letter if you do 5 nights a week for a couple of months.

e: The syllabus might be slightly different since the book came out. I used it nearly 2 years ago.

e2: Just the first half of the book. The second half is RHCE. Ain't done that. Yet.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 15, 2019

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

double post

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Tythas posted:

I have recently gotten a position as a redhat linux admin however I only have 2 years of minimal experience with redhat and I am required to get RHCSA within 6 months, what sites and training do you guys recommend to study and help me learn?

Note I have doen the Army's skillport training for RHCSA but it as all videos and minor quizzes with no labs so I didn't get much out of it

Just open a case with RH every time you need to touch a system and yell at them to do it for you. You don't need to know anything.

But srsly the Yang book is pretty good for test prep. Probably not useful for doing your job, but I suppose you have to start somewhere.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I liked the Sander van Vugt book. Really focussed on the exam and lots of examples and 3 vm lab isos you can use to practise on.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

other people posted:

Just open a case with RH every time you need to touch a system and yell at them to do it for you. You don't need to know anything.

But srsly the Yang book is pretty good for test prep. Probably not useful for doing your job, but I suppose you have to start somewhere.

I got the job part down, but I am required to get the cert so just need study materials

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I was going to say that Humble Bundle has a Linux book bundle happening now and there is some Red Hat stuff but I think it's for 6 and 7 is out now I think?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I was going to say that Humble Bundle has a Linux book bundle happening now and there is some Red Hat stuff but I think it's for 6 and 7 is out now I think?

And RHEL8 Beta is out. At some point new exams will be given on it but that's probably pretty far off.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

This is a bit back to front... But has anyone switched off full-time Linux desktop use to windows?

I’m getting tired with things breaking, stuff not working, limited support, half-baked software, poor performance, the list goes on.

I’ve set myself the goal of trying windows out for a while, but I’m not sure where to start. I’m a developer, I make software for Linux systems, and I’ve done so nearly exclusively for nearly 15 years... it’s pretty much all muscle memory at this point.

Anyone else done a similar switch and have any tips to make things more... unixy?

[edit] I’m aware of the WSL, I think this is what made me consider it as an option, but I’m still not sure how to fit it into my workflow. It seems... separate but not?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Horse Clocks posted:

[edit] I’m aware of the WSL, I think this is what made me consider it as an option, but I’m still not sure how to fit it into my workflow. It seems... separate but not?
Currently struggling to fit WSL into my own workflow (granted, coming from a Mac and contrasting to a Linux workstation, which as a very-former Linux desktop user, seems in 2019 to be both better and worse than Windows in its own way) and I can share my recent experiences there that I'd love others to correct or expand on.

First, WSL is really just a translation layer that lets Windows execute ELF binaries, which means there's no virtualization cost, but what the apps can do is limited by how many syscalls & such Windows has ported (see below). Folks have already ported a bunch of distros to it, since really all you need is to get some filesystem image that works well enough. Can manage them pretty easily with LxRunOffline, you're not limited to the Ubuntu offered on the Windows store.

Running terminal-only apps, WSL seems fine as long as you don't require certain things that really want an actual Linux kernel, such as netfilter-based tools, memory-mapped files (think bdb, as in, you cannot do an RPM database rebuild at the moment) or Unix sockets (so, systemd doesn't work as it seems to make heavy use of those). It sounds like MS may add support for some of that later?

But ye olde tmux, bash/zsh, vim, git, programming language kits, various & sundry ncurses apps, all work as well as your terminal emulator. Which...well. PowerShell+bash is pretty awful; MobaXTerm is half decent but not amazing; Aminal is in active development but still kinda flaky. I've honestly had a better experience, already, with running a real Linux terminal emulator via X11.

Speaking of that. You can easily run arbitrary X11 apps as long as you run a Windows X11 server (MobaXTerm's seems all right, vcxsrv has been very unstable for me but works for others, XMing still exists but free version is ancient) and do the usual `export DISPLAY=:0` in the terminal environment launching said apps.

These X servers tend to offer both a large window option as well as 'transparent' per-app windows. Either technically works, though I've had weird and very intermittent lag/freeze issues with the full-window treatment, on multiple distros (RHEL...don't ask...and the default Ubuntu).

One issue is that full desktop environments often require some of those "close to the kernel" things like dbus, which wants Unix sockets or systemd by default, depending on distro. You can work around this with some degree of success (Google has a lot of examples of reconfiguring dbus to use TCP sockets) but it may not be as smooth as "real Linux" unless you already have a high tolerance for troubleshooting this layer.

All that boils down to, for me, currently just running a few apps like gvim and xfce4-terminal in transparent-multiple-windows mode under MobaXTerm's X11. The former's an improvement over Windows' vim port because it shells out to a real Unix shell w/ my dotfiles in play (my vimrc assumes this in a bunch of places), the latter is a better terminal emulator than the native Windows ones I've tried. And I can manage configs for X11 apps in git, which would be much more of a bother for native Windows apps.

Had been hoping I could do the stupid thing and run fullscreen X for better window management (Windows is ironically extremely bad at actually managing windows, especially on oversized displays) but until I figure out the weird "sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's super laggy, with the same settings and software both times" problems, that'll have to wait.

This effortpost (I uh. should just make this into a real blog post, huh. :words:) brought to you by my new job, which requires a Windows-only VPN package (for now!) and since I'll be working from home half the time, I kinda have to make Windows work for me :v:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You can also fire up sshd and use putty - it's not ideal, but definitely a better terminal emulator than powershell.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

https://mintty.github.io/ "is based on code from PuTTY 0.60" (which is itself definitely a good terminal emulator) and is the default terminal that is included in Cygwin (where I've used it a reasonable amount, and it seems nice enough, haven't really been a power user of Cygwin since they started using it though), but you apparently don't need to use it with Cygwin. It says you can use it with WSL. So you'd essentially be using the same terminal emulation as Computer viking suggests, but without SSH in the middle.

For actual Windows applications though "mintty is not a full replacement for the Windows Console window (by default running the Windows Command Processor / command prompt / cmd.exe). While native console programs with simple text output usually work fine, interactive programs often have problems ...".

Oh also it has "SIXEL graphics display support" since apparently that's a thing someone upthread cares about :v:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Also, Windows supports Unix sockets now (in both Win32 and WSL), and dbus runs fine. It’s not going to automatically start or set up your environment, but it does work.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Double Punctuation posted:

Also, Windows supports Unix sockets now (in both Win32 and WSL), and dbus runs fine. It’s not going to automatically start or set up your environment, but it does work.
Interesting, thanks!

I'm pretty sure some of my sources were dated mid last year, aka after that support landed (apparently April 2018), and I know I was getting permission errors trying to start dbus, but the former may well just be cargo culted advice (or I'm wrong about their bylines) and the latter might've been due to systemd-oriented dbus on RHEL or something (in which case I'm still SOL on that distro since systemd apparently still has blockers).

I'll have to double check on the MS-provided Ubuntu 16.04, since I don't think its dbus was systemd-focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I’m using openSUSE Tumbleweed myself. I only really set up dbus in an attempt to make updates stop spewing out so many useless warnings, but that really only changed them from “dbus isn’t running” to “systemd isn’t running.” Which is slightly more indicative of the real “problem” to be fair, but still useless clutter amid the actually important warnings (usually about .rpmnew files).