Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm positive I remember that WWE's camerawork/cutting used to be pretty good and even impressive at times way back when, but now I'm worried I just didn't notice how bad it was. It does feel like it has gotten noticably worse the last few years.

I thought it was pretty good like 10 years ago but I dunno somewhere philosophies must have changed. I would say it was the change to HD but even after they did that things were still not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

I'm positive I remember that WWE's camerawork/cutting used to be pretty good and even impressive at times way back when, but now I'm worried I just didn't notice how bad it was. It does feel like it has gotten noticably worse the last few years.

The big change happened soon after the HD switchover.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I couldn't think of a way to top the Erick Stevens interview so I didn't really want to record. Then I decided that reading a 17 year old book would be good content.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1108209907277418496

It'd be awesome if people wanted to read along or contribute in other ways. I am blatantly stealing asking Hulkamatt if quotes are real or fake from 372 pages but if anyone wants to contribute any fake quotes to fool him, DM me or something.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 20, 2019

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CascadeBeta posted:

The only good Dave song is him reading the g1 blocks to yackety sax.

Break the loving tables.

Also Paul Jones mega mix.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That Roman Reigns/All About That Bass mix, with Dave going,"No Bryan" in it and Roman talking about MAGIC BEAAANNNNS

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

listened to the last two WORs back to back and let me tell you I never want to hear about UFC’s PPV deal ever again oh my god how much loving time have they devoted to this already

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Love a good TOOTBLAN reference on the morning commute. Thanks MRT, Hulkamatt, and Terry

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

listened to the last two WORs back to back and let me tell you I never want to hear about UFC’s PPV deal ever again oh my god how much loving time have they devoted to this already

Wish they left it until last.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

It's one of the biggest stories of the year so probably a lot more.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It might be a big story but it sure isn’t interesting enough to carry almost an hour of radio, especially split over two shows with many details repeated across both

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/Athletics/status/1108325589604167680

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

It might be a big story but it sure isn’t interesting enough to carry almost an hour of radio, especially split over two shows with many details repeated across both

u can skip forward in the shows, it's not that well known but it's possible to take 30 seconds to find when they're done talking about it. the observer has always been wrestling and mma and this is a huge story

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it's an enormous story. If you don't want to listen to it, and I don't blame you if you don't, they have time stamps of everything.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Once every couple months they review an NXT Takeover and I just skip the entire show because why would I give a poo poo about minor league wrestling, I barely have time to watch MLW. Others can suffer and skip ahead through some major UFC news.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Jerusalem posted:

That Roman Reigns/All About That Bass mix, with Dave going,"No Bryan" in it and Roman talking about MAGIC BEAAANNNNS

God why won't Bryan just play those anymore haha. gently caress I miss drops, content strikes be damned.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good Listener posted:

gently caress I miss drops, content strikes be damned.

It does bug me that the video content I'm never gonna watch means we don't get those anymore.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Concerning the camera cuts and Kevin Dunn, i have to post this in his defence.

It's a quote from 2018 book Creating The Mania. This Marty Miller the Live Director of Television

Marty Miller about camera cuts posted:

Yeah, thats me. Basically Kevin Dunn and the producers run the traffic and run the show from A to Z. I'm more of the meat-and-potatoes guy. i fill in all of the live content you see. Kevin is more involved with the brandon and talking to the announcers and making sure the right replay gets on the air. I'm more concerned with telling the stories through the cameras, but obviously we are working hand in hand.

From live perspective, you can always go back and go "Ooh, I wish I wouldve stayed on that shot a little longer" or "I shouldve cut off of that sooner" but for the most parit, you have to feel it in the moment. At the same time, you have to tell the story so sometimes you need to cut away from one angle to the second angle in order to get the other persons reaction, because you know that reaction is only going to be there for a split second. its not like a movie where you can shoot it five different ways and then you have opportunity to go back and edit it.

This is live, so you want to find that right balance between capturing the shot you have and telling the story.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Did anybody listen to the new Jericho with Rebel Starbuck? If you did and found him interesting, i've done two long interviews with him talking about his views on wrestling that I'm more than happy to share

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TheCool69 posted:

It's a quote from 2018 book Creating The Mania. This Marty Miller the Live Director of Television

YOURE NOT CAPTURING THE SHOT OR TELLING THE STORY

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheCool69 posted:

Thanks, now I know who to hate instead of Kevin Dunn (he can be hated for other reasons!)

TheCool69 posted:

Did anybody listen to the new Jericho with Rebel Starbuck? If you did and found him interesting, i've done two long interviews with him talking about his views on wrestling that I'm more than happy to share

I used to listen to every Jericho podcast but have really fallen behind, but please post links to your interviews if you'd like :)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheCool69 posted:

Yeah that's bullshit.

That gif is like the weird JJAbramsshakeycam gif where someone is just whacking the side during the action

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress that

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I know enough about WWE to know there’s no reason to trust that guy taking the blame for the camera work.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You just need to compare the Ibushi/Ospreay spot in the December tag and how New Japan filmed it to the recent NXT version of the spot to see just how awful the camera work is. Both spots are impressive but the New Japan camera work is just so good

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Re this week's Retro B&V

https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/1108232158605467649

Next week's episode/Nitro is a Spring Break episode

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The look on Angle's face :lol:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

You just need to compare the Ibushi/Ospreay spot in the December tag and how New Japan filmed it to the recent NXT version of the spot to see just how awful the camera work is. Both spots are impressive but the New Japan camera work is just so good

Yeah, the NXT one was good but the wrestlers and the camera work missed what made that spot amazing. It didn't have the dramatic irony that Ibushi and Ospreay had.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

jesus WEP posted:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. poo poo like this is the reason I think WO/F4W is worth paying for. The business end of TV and PPV as it pertains to MMA/Rasslin is half of why I follow this stupid garbage.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Good review of SDL by Dave and Garrett this week, covered a lot of the reasons why the Gauntlet match didn't work for me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, the NXT one was good but the wrestlers and the camera work missed what made that spot amazing. It didn't have the dramatic irony that Ibushi and Ospreay had.

See also, Shibata withstanding the Rainmaker as compared to some NXT UK dude Ospreay was wrestling no selling it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rovert posted:

Re this week's Retro B&V

https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/1108232158605467649

Next week's episode/Nitro is a Spring Break episode

next week is the last Nitro before the return of Russo

there will be a Nitro clip show the week after which will be WM week

then RUSSO REBOOT 2.0 in 2 weeks which include someone ra domly looking for scissors

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

next week is the last Nitro before the return of Russo

there will be a Nitro clip show the week after which will be WM week

then RUSSO REBOOT 2.0 in 2 weeks which include someone ra domly looking for scissors

They will love next week's episode. It is one for the ages.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Dave: Versatile people go a lot of places and learn a lot of different styles.
Bryan: That would be why they’re versatile.
Dave: Right.

I’m paraphrasing, but that exchange made me laugh.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MassRafTer posted:

They will love next week's episode. It is one for the ages.

THAT'S THE WALL, BROTHER!

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 21, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

THAT'S THE WALL, BROTHER!

I think that is only my third favorite moment of the show.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

My personal favorite is actually the Sting & Vampiro vs Flair & Luger match. Oh WCW :allears:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

where's Hogan repeatedly calling Vampiro "Vampyro"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So who does Meltzer blame when the Angle retirement match isn't just a straight up Baron Corbin match - himself for getting worked, WWE for writing a mean angle that upset the fans, or does he continue to insist Vince changed the story on the spot because he apparently monitors twitter while simultaneously directing the live show and saw the huge negative response (which didn't even really happen since nobody expects that match to be good) and then rewrote all of Cole and Renee's dialogue and the result of Corbin's match on the spot in like 10 minutes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Angry Grimace posted:

So who does Meltzer blame when the Angle retirement match isn't just a straight up Baron Corbin match - himself for getting worked, WWE for writing a mean angle that upset the fans, or does he continue to insist Vince changed the story on the spot because he apparently monitors twitter while simultaneously directing the live show and saw the huge negative response (which didn't even really happen since nobody expects that match to be good) and then rewrote all of Cole and Renee's dialogue and the result of Corbin's match on the spot in like 10 minutes

i don't know who he'll blame, Angry Grimace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

what?