Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
californians love their supercommutes and its going to kill us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
doesn't the income restriction on the HOV stickers only apply to people wanting both the rebate AND the sticker? if you're rich and you don't care about the rebate because you're just buying the special lane pass anyway it has no effect?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

iospace posted:

The best part of the Metro is YOU'RE A PASSENGER, YOU GET TO SIT ON YOUR PHONE AND DICK AROUND AND NO ONE WILL YELL AT YOU.

Unless you have sound on or are talking loudly on the phone, in which case you're a dick.

iospace posted:

Oh, and riding your bike means you get exercise.

Which explains why Shaggar hates it :v:

all of this. if you live in an area with good public transit like Seattle or Portland then you’d be an idiot not to use it

especially in Seattle where the busses use the hov lane which effectively means I get home faster than if I drove (and I don’t have to worry about parking!)

BobHoward posted:

hov lanes seem to be bullshit in the first place

they reduce the effective lane count of roads at peak traffic hours, making congestion worse and often making the road less safe due to high speed difference between hov and normal lanes

that’s part of the idea (the other part is to make it so public transit can operate faster by avoiding tons of traffic)

you want to discourage people from driving and encourage them to commute using other methods that don’t involve a car, which means clearing a path for busses and people who carpool

they absolutely work, and while the speed difference is pretty high at times, I have yet to see an accident occur from that (I do see flaming cars on the opposite side of the freeway from time to time though, those are always fun to see)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

doesn't the income restriction on the HOV stickers only apply to people wanting both the rebate AND the sticker? if you're rich and you don't care about the rebate because you're just buying the special lane pass anyway it has no effect?

hey you're right

lol all the reporting seems to have overlooked this

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i take the train to work but only because my company has the caltrain gopass so i get free rides. if i had to pay full fare it wouldn't make financial sense and i would just drive. train sure is nice for the ol sanity though

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

Yeah but this way you get to do it legally. And avoid tickets.

im convinced that tickets only dissuade people who already somewhat conscientious and people who drive like assholes going 25+ everywhere while checking their facebook and swerving all over the road will just still do it

like i wish the person doing burnouts in my parking deck at 4 this morning would get a ticket, but they have already made the choice not to care about anyone else around them so not sure what it would help other than be a minor inconvenience

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 19, 2019

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it's blindingly obvious how the whole "solo driver pays to use hov lane, toll adjusted dynamically based on demand" bs is going to work in the bay area. the type of 101 commuter who will pay makes so much money and considers their time to be so valuable that they will immediately bid the price up so high that no regular person could possibly justify it regardless of need. it'll just be a separate lane for rich people. i can sure see why the funding agencies are frothing at the mouth to implement this, but i don't see how anyone else could be convinced that this brings any sort of societal benefit, aside from occasional use by public commuter buses (which currently don't exist, at least not on 101)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's also why their current master plan runs those managed lanes from 4th and king in sf down to mountain view

kinda gives the game away a little that they're not already reaching into sj

also 101 currently has double hov lanes in each direction during its run through mountain view lol who signed off on that nonsense

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

holy poo poo. "luxury"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCTu8wwL5o

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Holy loving poo poo.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mystes posted:

I think the start location in that map is literally on top of the dunn loring metro station.

yeah wtf. anyone who's bitching about that is an idiot who's scared of URBANS on the train

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lammo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

sounds like the tolls are too low

although this being VA, i'm guessing there are no trains or anything either, so it's more like drive or don't go

there is specifically an array of subway stations at the edge of the beltway, for people coming from outside it to drive to and park at. as well as like 2 seperate commuter rail routesthat interchange with the subway at different points. also on the maryland side? even more subway stations at the beltway edge due to historic reasons (namely: cheaper to expand that direction due to not crossing the potomac)

the dc metro has a ton of problems, but lack of ability to shuffle suburban commuters onto it to avoid the inside-beltway megasucktraffic isn't one of them

also rmeinder that before tolling was opened on 66, it was instead straight up illegal to travel in the rush hour direction during rush hour as a single driver, so the state collected massive amounts of cash from state hughway patrol nabbing all the people who violated it. and a lot of those people would get caught multiple times a month and just keep doing it - so of course they'll pay a $50 toll every day now

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

iospace posted:

No joke a conversation I had today:
"It took me 15 minutes to get home today"
"It would take you 15 minutes if you walked to work"
"... but that would require putting myself at risk!"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

tesla dogshit garbage, who knew

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
aren't express lane tolls just the purest form of "tax the rich" though?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Savington posted:

no, because it's a regressive tax

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Savington posted:

If they actually just taxed the rich they could pay for transit that would actually fix problems instead of just creating a rich people lane.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
well the project's only just been awarded for design so the toll structure hasn't been finalized yet, but i've been told that a true, unrestricted pricing scheme that would actually result in the fabled $100+ toll is "politically untenable" and that it'll almost certainly have an upper bound put on it - maybe ~$40 max for the whole length idk what's precisely under consideration

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i was expecting something like 'i put a hot cup of coffee there'

hoo boy did i set my expectations too high lmfao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well the project's only just been awarded for design so the toll structure hasn't been finalized yet, but i've been told that a true, unrestricted pricing scheme that would actually result in the fabled $100+ toll is "politically untenable" and that it'll almost certainly have an upper bound put on it - maybe ~$40 max for the whole length idk what's precisely under consideration

just do what everyone else does and do a time-based phase in so that it's not the problem of the current political deciders

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Rex-Goliath posted:

i was expecting something like 'i put a hot cup of coffee there'

hoo boy did i set my expectations too high lmfao

at first glance I thought it was some weird break through in glass but holy lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fishmech posted:

also rmeinder that before tolling was opened on 66, it was instead straight up illegal to travel in the rush hour direction during rush hour as a single driver, so the state collected massive amounts of cash from state hughway patrol nabbing all the people who violated it. and a lot of those people would get caught multiple times a month and just keep doing it - so of course they'll pay a $50 toll every day now

iirc they had trouble with people treating the fines like a toll and passed a new fine which increased every time you got one and several people had gotten caught so many times that the fines had ratcheted up to the Max at around $1k every time and this drove on it.

flagrantly violate the law every single day no problem if you pay, drive 80.5mph anywhere in the state get sent to jail for a year. ah....Virginia.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i would like it if buses got preferential stoplight treatment of a certain type. basically every direction of the intersection turns red, and then the bus gets to roll through while a special traffic light turns on that has a picture of a bus and says BUS in big shiny letters. this sign will be funded by a special fee that CHUDs have to pay every time they want to lodge a public complaint about the special BUS sign

e: also buses in metro MSP don't use the HOV lane. they get to drive on the shoulder of the road during rush hour past evvvvvverybody :getin:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

the model 3s glossy center console is a mistake and stays clean for 5 minutes max.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Nfcknblvbl posted:

the model 3s glossy center console is a mistake and stays clean for 5 minutes max.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

love Too need to use dbrand on every surface of my car! *but I love this 3M*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

just do what everyone else does and do a time-based phase in so that it's not the problem of the current political deciders

well we were the second group to do prelim design on it and the first was started in like 2016, they could get the legal or public-facing legislative stuff set up years before it opens, iirc it's projected to be like 2024 which really means 2025 or 26 at least - there's a shitload of bridges that'll need to be widened as part of it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

all model 3s are going to be peeling apart within a year or two. really capturing that sears floor model electronic feel

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they'll also be rusting terribly

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Good news: the ugly glossy plastic is removable!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

e: also buses in metro MSP don't use the HOV lane. they get to drive on the shoulder of the road during rush hour past evvvvvverybody :getin:

when I went to school downtown this owned. loving busses sailing past everybody

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

xiamen has a giant elevated brt system and it owns

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

lol you know you're in trouble when you're trying to file a reply to a reply, that means you're solidly in "we're hosed ready the hail mary" land

on the one hand the SEC now tagging in all those new tweets and all but directly saying they are also in violation is new stuff.

on the other the only reason they weren't in the original contempt filing was because Musk's lawyers dragged their feet in responding to the SEC's demand to inspect the pre-approval paperwork. so I can't see the judge being all that sympathetic to Musk.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shifty Pony posted:

on the one hand the SEC now tagging in all those new tweets and all but directly saying they are also in violation is new stuff.

on the other the only reason they weren't in the original contempt filing was because Musk's lawyers dragged their feet in responding to the SEC's demand to inspect the pre-approval paperwork. so I can't see the judge being all that sympathetic to Musk.

the judge is going to fine him and tell him to comply with the order. this may include periodic reporting on the pre-approval status.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
we know the solution for transit we just have to implement it

yes i am of course talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZjnhL4WddE

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hey guys, guess what?

lol. feature regressions and no user communication regarding changes to life critical systems. they're not just a software company, they're a really bad software company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

tbf he actually has a valid point about that, american drivers are dangerously inept