Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lobster22221 posted:

two doesn't really have a job system does it?

2 is basically the prototype for the SaGa franchise; it has the opposite of a job system, with no classes or defined roles at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In 10 the characters are interchangeable sans limits and in 12 vanilla even with limits.

The series is much more iterative than people think of it, with most design decisions being variations of previous systems rather than totally new stuff.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
1 might not have a true job system but I think it should get some credit for at least letting you pick distinct classes at the beginning, like I think it's a clear prologue to the real job system (and I'm pretty sure every job system has had those 6 classes as jobs even)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
1 has the truest job system, since it's literally just a D&D Campaign.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
FF1 is still good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I changed my mind, ff2 is the most important final fantasy because it led to my actual favorite jrpg series and I will never hate it because of that (but it is really bad yeah)

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I had a lot of fun with FF Legend 2 as a kid, and it made a lot of sense when I later played SaGa Frontier and learned they came from the same roots. I've never tried FF2 though, I take it it's probably too unpolished by today's standards to really be enjoyable?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF1 is still good.

Heck yeah

Nibble posted:

I had a lot of fun with FF Legend 2 as a kid, and it made a lot of sense when I later played SaGa Frontier and learned they came from the same roots. I've never tried FF2 though, I take it it's probably too unpolished by today's standards to really be enjoyable?

Ff2 gba is no joke one of my fav games, I have a feeling it made it way easier then the original but I like it a lot

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Due to 4's rigidity, I also think it has the strongest 'character development through gameplay mechanics' than the rest of the series. A lot of the details in 4 wouldn't work in something open like 1, or as flexible as 5.

spoilers, of course, for examples

Cecil's overcoming his darkness through defence and pacifism
Telah being a decrepit old sage, regaining his spell casting ability while being too frail to use it properly, and finally exerting himself to death in his quest for vengeance
Palom and Porum getting stoned
Rosa's entire class and basically the entirety of her development from her devotion to Cecil
None of these would work if their classes were substantially different.

It doesn't make something you're going to come back to, but it's still a game you can appreciate on its own merit, and then move on from.

Tellah is the best angriest old man.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I just came in here to vent to people who might understand, but I just spent 2.5 hours fighting and beating FFXV's Adamantoise, did a Return to Car and my game froze on the loading screen.
Restarting it set me back before I started the bounty.

I'd like to die now.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

DevCore posted:

I just came in here to vent to people who might understand, but I just spent 2.5 hours fighting and beating FFXV's Adamantoise, did a Return to Car and my game froze on the loading screen.

I'd like to die now.

Do you have the ring? I suggest using the instakill spell and get it over with. It will succeed eventually.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah i just did that monday actually. spent probably like 20 minutes doing warp stabs and then did the instakill spell and it worked first time also it looked super weird and cool

yesterday i did bismarck so now debating if i should try the omega weapon fight or finally actually beat the game. think i've gotten all the other question marks on the map

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

DevCore posted:

I'd like to die now.

:rip::rip::rip:

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah i just did that monday actually. spent probably like 20 minutes doing warp stabs and then did the instakill spell and it worked first time also it looked super weird and cool

yesterday i did bismarck so now debating if i should try the omega weapon fight or finally actually beat the game. think i've gotten all the other question marks on the map

Have ya done Pitioss?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nibble posted:

FF2 is still great. You can make characters with so much evasion and magic resistance, that end game enemies do a few hundred damage. A game where you can stomp everything in your way in a Star Wars setting.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

Have ya done Pitioss?

no i thought you had to beat the game to get the flying car

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Super No Vacancy posted:

no i thought you had to beat the game to get the flying car

Yeah you get it automatically when you reload after beating the game

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I like the idea of FF2 but I stopped playing after I insta-killed one of the overpowered guards in the Empire occupied city and, unlike every other RPG ever, my entire party did not level up like crazy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you're going to play 4, either get a translation patch for or a rerelease of the original. It's been long enough I couldn't tell you why, but I remember the game being much more interesting to play than the US release.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The PSP version is best for a more traditional version, with it using the GBA version as a base without some of the bugs that one had. It has a post game and option to use party members who never could be used after a certain point.

DS/Steam version is not suggested on a first playthrough, as it remixes a lot of the elements of the game while retaining the same world design. It much tougher as well due to bosses having entirely new AI and moves. Instead of getting to use the party members who leave again later, you gain their abilities that can be slapped on other temporary members to get their moves or permanent party members to boost them. Worth it for crying Kain.

SNES 'Final Fantasy 2' is either for nostalgically or speed running at this point or using the Free Enterprise.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Was there ever a good translation for the original FF4 hardtype release? I know there was one put out for it long ago, but it was absolute trash and worse than the janky as hell NA release.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Every English FF4 release besides the SNES version and any direct ports of it (Wii Virtual Console) are based on the hard type, including the PS1, GBA, and PSP releases.

If you want a faithful translation go with the 3D remake, all the various 2D translations apparently have various issues, even the later ones.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alright, folks: 2, 13, 15?

I realize they're vastly different but like I said those are the last 3 FF games remaining that I haven't played also 12. hello, Switch release in late April.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I beat 13 last week and was pretty fun once you got the hang of the gambit system. I am on 15 right now and really enjoying it, but heard the later chapters are eh.

I want to play 2 again, but waiting on my replacement PSP Go component cable as the one I got is really lovely compared to the offical one I ordered.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
13. It owns (except for the story (and Snow(gently caress Snow))).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elephant Ambush posted:

On the bright side, the game has multiple cutscenes of Lightning punching Snow. Even in the big montage of events when the party is recovering before the final boss is a clip of Lightning punching Snow multiple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZSoM5RjBWM

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TheHoosier posted:

Alright, folks: 2, 13, 15?

I realize they're vastly different but like I said those are the last 3 FF games remaining that I haven't played also 12. hello, Switch release in late April.

15>13>>>>>12>2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I genuinely wouldn't recommend you play any of those. Like, you don't need to play every Final Fantasy. Maybe try another series? Dragon Quest? Tales?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
12 is actually really good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Play any post-GBA version of 2. It's fun, relatively short, and tries interesting things.

It also has Minwu, who's the coolest white mage in the series.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I played the absolute poo poo out of FFL2 when I was a kid because it was all I had for a while and I even discovered the bgm/sound effect menu on my own. I'm not sure how I, or anyone really, figured to press random buttons until something cool happens.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Elephant Ambush posted:

nothing could have been a more perfect capstone to the massive disappointment that is Dissidia NT than the last DLC character being Snow

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Where the heck is Ashe

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Frionnel posted:

12 is actually really good.

The Zodiac Age version, to be exact. Vanilla FF12 has a lot of issues.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

corn in the bible posted:

I genuinely wouldn't recommend you play any of those. Like, you don't need to play every Final Fantasy. Maybe try another series? Dragon Quest? Tales?

It's just a kick i'm on, and only the main titles. I actually did DQ and fell off hard on 6. That game just didnt grab me like 4 and 5. I'll return to that series soon.

I gave up on FF after 8, and playing X kind of re-ignited my enjoyment of the series. I used to love it, so I'm just going back to see what I missed. I'll also accept recommendations.

I'm definitely going to play the remaster of 12. It sounds like my poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blockhouse posted:

nothing could have been a more perfect capstone to the massive disappointment that is Dissidia NT than the last DLC character being Snow

People playing Dissidia NT on PC love playing as Snow for some reason. I see no other DLC characters, not even Locke who's just a murder machine, just Snow. So I assume he's popular.

Making him XIII's villain rep and using his Lightning Returns design was an inspired choice, though, I give that a thumbs up.

Seriously, people, give Dissidia NT a swing if you get a chance. Better than Bandai Namco's arena brawlers, at least.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cleretic posted:

Seriously, people, give Dissidia NT a swing if you get a chance. Better than Bandai Namco's arena brawlers, at least.

This isn't saying a lot tbh.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean if we're counting the Gundam Versus series under that banner it's a bit of a spicy take

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i did it i beat omega weapon

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

imo instead of ff2 play minstrel song or rs2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

corn in the bible posted:

imo instead of ff2 play minstrel song or rs2

Just hit yourself while working out and holding a shield instead.