Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
HAY TANITH WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP SO LATE? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Mikl posted:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
oh she's just calling her mom on the phone like a normal person we can go back to sl-wait there's no phones in Magnamund! And her mom is an rear end in a top hat! approach

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mikl posted:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Ask her

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Approach, maybe she's telling a ghost story to herself. I hear Tanith is all about ghosts.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mikl posted:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Having actual companions is nice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Grey Star the Wizard posted:

You get up and walk over to Tanith, who looks up with a startled expression.

‘Grey Star,’ she gasps, ‘I … I could not resist. I am sorry … ’

The campfire bursts into vivid flame, flaring high into the air. Wreathed in the lurid light is the figure of Mother Magri, who intones the words of a spell in a strange, guttural tongue.

‘Grey Star,’ says Tanith, ‘beware!’
Should we use Sorcery to shield ourself, or attack the image of Mother Magri?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Sorcery sounds like a better option than attacking fire. 🔥

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

nelson posted:

On the other hand, I'm betting attacking the fire will have hilarious results :supaburn:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You concentrate the power of your thought and, at the cost of 2 WILLPOWER points, a shimmering field of energy encircles you. The form of Mother Magri disappears from the heart of the fire to be replaced by a far more sinister vision. A great shadow of impenetrable darkness appears in the flames of the fire. You see two blank eye-slits and a gaping mouth as the shadow creature lunges towards you.

Willpower: 2.

‘A Kleasá!’ Tanith screams. ‘A Soul-eater!’

You must fight the Kleasá to the death¹. For every round of combat, subtract 1 WILLPOWER point and 2 ENDURANCE points from your total. If you have erected a magical shield of Sorcery, subtract 1 WILLPOWER point and 1 ENDURANCE point for every round of combat as the Kleasá tries to claw at your soul.
Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 11 ENDURANCE 20 WILLPOWER 2
Kleasá: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: -11

We roll: 1
Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 11 ENDURANCE 0 WILLPOWER 1

¹ I have no idea why it says this. The fight automatically ends after four rounds.

Death Count: 2

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 20, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

1. This fight is unavoidable.

2. This fight is winnable - you could even survive with 0 Willpower if you were lucky.

3. It's much easier if you've got WP to spend though, which generally means avoiding the previous fight. We almost even managed that, just messing up on one choice. You go to the aid of the knights and use enchantment as we did, but then you have to charge into the melee rather than shooting at them from a distance. After that you're given the option of whether to go after the soldiers or their officer, and if you pick the officer then there's no fight and no loss of WP. So we'd actually still have 13 WP if we'd taken that path. That's enough to kill the Kleasá in one hit on a roll of 7 or greater (although not by our predetermined WP usage rules). You've still got a 20% chance of being one-shotted yourself at a -11 Combat Ratio, but the odds are in your favour.
So the question is, how do we want to proceed? Do we go back and undo the previous fight use our standard WP rule and see how that affects this outcome? Do we undo the previous fight and attempt to one-shot the Kleasá? Do we just retry this fight and go into negative Endurance if necessary? Or do we just skip this fight and either carry on as though it didn't happen or carry on with 1 EP remaining? Or feel free to suggest your own solution if you don't like any of those.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Let's try for a one-shot. If it works we'll look like the ultimate badass!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Runcible Cat posted:

Let's try for a one-shot. If it works we'll look like the ultimate badass!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Can we reroll for less ridiculous stats? :v:

Otherwise try the one-shot.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
with 11 combat skill we could be here a while.

redo the fight several times just to show off how up against it we are and what a frustrating bottleneck this can be, then move on however.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
One-shot this fiend. May the odds be ever in our favor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OK, if we hadn't fought the soldiers then we'd have 13 WP and 16 EP. We'll assume we still used up the Laumspur, but that'll take us to full EP so we won't use the Rendalim's Elixir. We'll use Sorcery to create a shield, so that'll reduce our WP by 2, and we'll attempt to put enough WP into this to kill the Kleasá in one hit.

‘A Kleasá!’ Tanith screams. ‘A Soul-eater!’

You must fight the Kleasá to the death¹. For every round of combat, subtract 1 WILLPOWER point and 2 ENDURANCE points from your total. If you have erected a magical shield of Sorcery, subtract 1 WILLPOWER point and 1 ENDURANCE point for every round of combat as the Kleasá tries to claw at your soul.
Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 11 ENDURANCE 23 WILLPOWER 11

We roll: 8
Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 11 ENDURANCE 18 WILLPOWER 2
Kleasá: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 0

The Kleasá seems to be growing stronger as it erodes your will. No matter how badly you damage the fabric of the creature, you cannot alter the phantom’s ability to feed on your spirit.

Suddenly the creature grows, wrapping its whole body around you, engulfing you in a terrible darkness. You lose 5 WILLPOWER points and 5 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: 13/23.
Willpower: -3.

You are too weak to resist and your soul is devoured by the dark phantom. You fall to the ground, a lifeless shell; you are another victim of the malice of Mother Magri and the dark servants of the Shadakine Empire.

Death Count: 3

Yeah, you know how I said you could survive the fight with 0 WP? Technically true. You just die immediately afterward. What we actually have to do to survive with our WP as low as it is is fight with our sword instead of our staff. That drops our CS to 5, but since the combat ratio can't get lower than -11 that makes absolutely no difference. Then we just need to survive four rounds and still have at least 5 EP left. So let's try it.

Grey Star (with sword): COMBAT SKILL 5 ENDURANCE 23 WILLPOWER 11

We roll: 3
Grey Star (with sword): COMBAT SKILL 5 ENDURANCE 15 WILLPOWER 11

We roll: 3
Grey Star (with sword): COMBAT SKILL 5 ENDURANCE 7 WILLPOWER 11

We roll: 4
Grey Star (with sword): COMBAT SKILL 5 ENDURANCE 0 WILLPOWER 11

And we're dead again. But those were some bad rolls so let's try it again.

Grey Star (with sword): COMBAT SKILL 5 ENDURANCE 23 WILLPOWER 11

We roll: 7
Grey Star (with sword): COMBAT SKILL 5 ENDURANCE 17 WILLPOWER 10
Kleasá: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 27

We roll: 6
Grey Star (with sword): COMBAT SKILL 5 ENDURANCE 10 WILLPOWER 9
Kleasá: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 26

We roll: 10
Grey Star (with sword): COMBAT SKILL 5 ENDURANCE 9 WILLPOWER 8
Kleasá: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 20

We roll: 1 10
Grey Star (with sword): COMBAT SKILL 5 ENDURANCE 8 WILLPOWER 7
Kleasá: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 14

OK so we died again there but let's pretend that I didn't roll a 1. That didn't happen. The next roll was another 10, and that's the fourth round of combat which means the fight is over. And I think we'll immediately use that Rendalim's Elixir, too, just to get us back to the same equipment we had the first time.

The Kleasá seems to be growing stronger as it erodes your will. No matter how badly you damage the fabric of the creature, you cannot alter the phantom’s ability to feed on your spirit.

Suddenly the creature grows, wrapping its whole body around you, engulfing you in a terrible darkness. You lose 5 WILLPOWER points and 5 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: 9/23.
Willpower: 2.

You are smothered in an all-consuming darkness. Somewhere, seemingly far off, a muffled cry reaches your ears. It is Shan. ‘Tanith, you must save him,’ he cries. Then you hear Tanith’s clear and brave voice for the last time … 

Kleasá Tanith, Mundi Gudro,’ chants Tanith, repeating the words over and over.

Suddenly, the darkness is lifted, and you see Tanith throw herself onto the raging fire. The black shadow of the Kleasá flies towards her. As the Kleasá engulfs her burning body, she gives one last, agonized cry, ‘Grey Star, do not fail!’

The fire erupts, and in a blinding flash, both Tanith and the Kleasá disappear. All that remains is a splash of smoking embers. You swoon and lapse into unconsciousness where you lie.

You wake the following morning, drained and depressed. Your traumatic experience has caused you to lose 1 WILLPOWER point during your sleep.

‘We must go on,’ insists Shan, ‘to make her sacrifice worthwhile.’

You know he is right, and wearily, you get to your feet and pull on your Backpack to continue your journey. ‘We will reach the Azagad Gorge this afternoon if we set a good pace,’ says Shan.

As the sun reaches its zenith, you notice how hot and humid the atmosphere has become. The plains of the Wilderwastes are now barren: a dry desert of ugly rocks and boulders stretches before you. You have many more days of travelling ahead of you and your food supplies are running low. The Azan River begins to narrow as you draw nearer to Lake Shenwu, the source of the river, lying beneath the Wall of Azakawa and the Shenwu Falls. Beyond that, lies the Azanam, home of the Lost Tribe of Lara.

Shan draws your attention to a wooden shack to the east. It is a strange sight so far from civilization.

Willpower: 1.
Shall we investigate the shack or ignore it?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Wow, what a way to die, and die again, and die again.

Let’s investigate! 🕵️‍♂️

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Death Aura Strikes Again!

Is it still a noble sacrifice if you summoned the threat in the first place?

Anyway, our heart is heavy and only noble & godly looting can lighten our spirits. investigate the shack

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Pfft, what are we, some kind of degenerate Kai? We're a student of the enigmatically graceful Shianti:

And we don't stoop to thievery!
Ignore it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

Wow, what a way to die, and die again, and die again.

Let’s investigate! 🕵️‍♂️

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Let’s investigate! 🕵️‍♂️

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've been waiting for this. That boss fight is total bullshit and the author clearly put no thought into balancing the encounter, even by the standards of an 80's CYOA book.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

I've been waiting for this. That boss fight is total bullshit and the author clearly put no thought into balancing the encounter, even by the standards of an 80's CYOA book.

It's not great, but it's got nothing on some of the fights in Lone Wolf. Zakhan Kimah, for example. Or the Chaos Master. Or, like, everything in The Deathlord of Ixia. You can beat the Kleasá. It's not a fair fight and having it kill you even if you win if your EP or WP are too low is a real dick move, but compared with the Grand Master series it's nothing.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Deptfordx posted:

Tiggum posted:

It's not great, but it's got nothing on some of the fights in Lone Wolf. Zakhan Kimah, for example. Or the Chaos Master. Or, like, everything in The Deathlord of Ixia. You can beat the Kleasá. It's not a fair fight and having it kill you even if you win if your EP or WP are too low is a real dick move, but compared with the Grand Master series it's nothing.
When I read this the first time, I was really believing this fight was broken, so I cheated my way out of it.
The fact that is actually feasable REALLY surprises me.
Investigate.

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 21, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Let’s investigate! 🕵️‍♂️

You make your way to the shack. It looks deserted. The door hangs half open, and the windows are overgrown with an innocuous, yellow/brown weed called Ogosho, indigenous to this area. You hear a rustling sound coming from within.
Shall we enter normally, kick the door in, or send Shan in?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This could be dangerous. Shan, you go first!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

enter like a buffoon

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Shan, we just fought a hell daemon, you can take the lead on this one

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's time for Shan to start pulling his weight here.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Cast Meatshield and have Shan investigate

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mister Perky posted:

Cast Meatshield and have Shan investigate

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Shan, we just fought a hell daemon, you can take the lead on this one

Shan casts a sheepish glance at you and nervously enters the shack. After a brief pause, he returns with a relieved look on his face. ‘It’s all right,’ he says, ‘the place is deserted.’

You enter the shack and see dust-laden furniture and a clutter of spades, picks, and sieves stacked in one corner. Suddenly a yellow-spotted lizard scuttles out from under the table and dashes towards you.

‘It’s all right,’ says Shan. ‘It’s a Jerbokan—they’re harmless.’ The frightened lizard scampers past you and out through the door.

Shan begins to rummage around while telling you that the former occupants were probably jade prospectors, since the Azan River is said to carry deposits of jade, the precious stone used to make Noble pieces. He finds some appetising smoked meat and shares it equally, offering you enough food for 5 Meals. (Remember to mark these on your Action Chart.) A further search reveals nothing else of value, and you leave the shack.

Automatically took 2 Meals.

You head south across the desolate plain, but after a few minutes Shan stops, shielding his eyes with his hand as he peers eastwards. ‘Can you feel it?’ he asks.

At first you are not sure what he means, but then you notice that the atmosphere has changed. A wind has started up, and tumbleweeds and pools of fine brown dust eddy in busy spirals. Shan points towards the horizon and you spot a great cloud of dust rolling towards you.

‘Dust storm,’ says Shan. ‘Looks like a mean one.’
Shall we go back and take cover in the shack or keep moving?

Backpack:
  1. Meal
  2. Meal
  3. Meal
  4. Meal
  5. Meal
  6. Meal
  7. Meal
  8. Meal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Take cover in the shack. At least we’re guaranteed extra food.