Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

gey muckle mowser posted:

you guys are really making me want to marathon the Final Destination series this weekend. I might skip 4 though.

The first 3 are on Netflix!

I say power through it, it’s always nice to see a white supremacist catch fire while “Why Can’t We Be Friends” plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've never been a big fan of the series, but the gymnastics scene in 5 is wonderfully suspenseful. If we were to make a new 100 Scariest Movie Moments, I think it deserves to be ranked pretty high.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

I've never been a big fan of the series, but the gymnastics scene in 5 is wonderfully suspenseful. If we were to make a new 100 Scariest Movie Moments, I think it deserves to be ranked pretty high.

A new 100 Scariest Movie Moments would kick rear end.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Coffee And Pie posted:

The first 3 are on Netflix!

I say power through it, it’s always nice to see a white supremacist catch fire while “Why Can’t We Be Friends” plays.

I own them all on DVD/blu-ray :smug:

although the quality on netflix is probably better than the 4-pack DVD I have

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think 3 and 5 are probably the weakest because they are the ones in which death comes off as the most malicious. I like how in the better movies death almost comes off as a flustered blue collar worker who just wants to finish the job and go home. Like, hes not doing it because he likes it but because he is death and he has a schedule to keep.

2 is absolutely the best one though, and I am disappointed no other movie in the series realized a diverse cast is more interesting than a bunch of dead teens

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think 3 and 5 are probably the weakest because they are the ones in which death comes off as the most malicious. I like how in the better movies death almost comes off as a flustered blue collar worker who just wants to finish the job and go home. Like, hes not doing it because he likes it but because he is death and he has a schedule to keep.

2 is absolutely the best one though, and I am disappointed no other movie in the series realized a diverse cast is more interesting than a bunch of dead teens

I'd rank them 2 > 1 > 5 >> 3 >>>> 4. Maybe that'll change after a rewatch though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

1 is fine, 2 is a bonafide classic, 3 held up better than I remembered thanks to Mary Elizabeth Winstead providing a solid hand, 4 is terrible, 5 is decent with a great ending.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'd rank them 2 > 1 > 5 >> 3 >>>> 4. Maybe that'll change after a rewatch though.

You are gonna have to explain your hatred of 4 because I would probably rank it as 2nd or third best

For me its 2 - 4 - 1 - 3 -5

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A new 100 Scariest Movie Moments would kick rear end.

I knoooooow!

If there were an easy way to recommend scenes & vote & rank them, it'd be a fun Forums Project, but working that out would be a pain in the taint. And I don't have the time to figure it out.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Arguably the biggest weakness of the entire series though is that every movie is the characters learning the rules even though the audience knows the rules after the first movie. Like its the only franchise I know where the twist at the end of every movie is the exact same.

1: Death loops around
2: Death loops around
3: Death loops around
4: Death loops around
5: Death loops around and also secret prequel

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
4 has by far the worst script and actors, to the point where when I put on 5 I felt genuine relief. As for the gore, when they go practical it’s fine but the digital effects are no joke Sharknado levels of bad.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You are gonna have to explain your hatred of 4 because I would probably rank it as 2nd or third best

For me its 2 - 4 - 1 - 3 -5

It's been quite a while but I remember it being very dull and not doing anything new or interesting with the premise. Plus the opening disaster is the worst one in the series IMO. Also some gimmicky 3D poo poo.

I'll give it another shot though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

4 also suffers from “Filmed in 3Ditus,” and not in a fun F13 part 3 kind of way.

Edit: just noticed the thread title, haha. Also I’m glad I spurred a werewolf matrimony discussion

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 20, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Upon reflection, I think what I liked about 4 was that it did a very good job of making common objects appear sinister. Something about the directing and editing gave me a constant sense of unease at even the most banal objects.

Like, its the only movie I can think of in which the phrase "intimidating espresso machine" comes to mind

Like, as a movie of special effects and kills its pretty weak, but I just thought the directing suited the concept really well

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Upon reflection, I think what I liked about 4 was that it did a very good job of making common objects appear sinister. Something about the directing and editing gave me a constant sense of unease at even the most banal objects.

Like, its the only movie I can think of in which the phrase "intimidating espresso machine" comes to ind

Yes! That’s one of my favorite things about the series, the game of guessing what’s going to kill in this scene.

Also one of the Final Destinations has an absolutely brutal kill with a falling pane of glass or something squishing someone and it makes me squirrely just to think about it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Arivia posted:

Also one of the Final Destinations has an absolutely brutal kill with a falling pane of glass or something squishing someone and it makes me squirrely just to think about it.

that's 2, aka the best one

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Arivia posted:

One of my first memories of getting a dvd player was being able to frame by frame that scene

Also, I have a pet theory that Tony Todd isn't death, but is instead the dude sending the premonitions. He is trying to figure out how to beat death which is why everytime they see him he recommends something new. He is straight up experimenting to see what works.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Karloff posted:

Final Destination 3's DVD had an awesome special feature where they had alternate deaths and kind of made it into a choose-your-own-adventure type game.

It was interesting how each would've panned out. For some of them, the original death Death chose was more merciful.

edit- Just noticed the thread title, Wow, my first thread title naming!

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 20, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

K. Waste posted:

Would a werewolf wife be a werewife or a wifewolf?

I mean, I guess a werewife would be someone who goes to Reno and gets married every full moon.

Just from personal experience a werewife is easier to deal with than a wolf wife because it's just a wolf and then on full moon it turns into your wife. Werewife just somebody who turns into your wife on the full moon.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Just from personal experience a werewife is easier to deal with than a wolf wife because it's just a wolf and then on full moon it turns into your wife. Werewife just somebody who turns into your wife on the full moon.

Ladywolfe starring Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Take My Werewolf Wife, Please!

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I loved Bone Tomahawk but loving hated that Vince Vaughn one. It was so stupid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Craig Zahler is straight up a nazi.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am glad to my decision to not watch a movie that presented native americans as literal monsters turned out to be forethinking

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 20, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sorry Mel, edit is not quote. Phone posting as a mod is dangerous.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am glad to my decision to not watch a movie that presented native americans as literal monsters turned out to be forethinking

Yeah, that’s easily the weakest segment of Creepshow 2

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always think I was intrigued to watch Bone Tomahawk but didn't because I was uncertain if it would be racist or not, but then I realize I'm actually thinking of Avenged and Bone Tomahawk looked super racist so I passed.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It turns out that dude wrote Puppet Master The Littlest Reich and now everything makes sense

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah it does. Like Littlest Reich is a good example of ironic racism and homophobia. Meaning that it's just racist an homophobic.

I liked Bone Tomahawk because I felt it was a more in line with of the exploitation films but eventually it's pretty evident Zahlers incredibly racist.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just got Shudder, and the History of Horror series is decent mindless viewing. Like, sure, it's Eli Roth sniffing his own farts, and there's nothing NEW in it, but it's cool that they got a lot of notable people to talk about the classics :unsmith:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

I just got Shudder, and the History of Horror series is decent mindless viewing. Like, sure, it's Eli Roth sniffing his own farts, and there's nothing NEW in it, but it's cool that they got a lot of notable people to talk about the classics :unsmith:

To people like us who are knowledgeable enough on the genre to teach a class or horror host, it's everything we already know. But to the average person or someone new to the genre, it's probably pretty informative.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it does. Like Littlest Reich is a good example of ironic racism and homophobia. Meaning that it's just racist an homophobic.

I liked Bone Tomahawk because I felt it was a more in line with of the exploitation films but eventually it's pretty evident Zahlers incredibly racist.

When I watched that movie it felt like the violence against minorities was actually gleeful and surprise

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Hollismason posted:

If Bone Tomahawk were the length of an average exploitation film it might actually be watchable.

As it stands, it is a film that is both uncomfortably reactionary, and also pretentiously long.

Like, I know I've made this point before, but I not only can't imagine how anyone who isn't me got through that movie with any even cautious optimism after that dogshit cold open, which is as cheap and uninspired as they come - I also can not imagine how people sat through over two hours of grown-rear end men telegraphing Western melodrama.

The racism of the film is utterly banal when considered in its entire unremarkable context, which is why so many people were actually surprised when it turned out Zahler was a chud. Like, it's racist, but it's not 'I like to trigger the libs'/'I'm making movies for an "underrepresented demographic"'-racist. It only becomes remarkable because it became a festival darling, which ends up saying far more about the state of independent film culture and its self-appointed gatekeepers than it does about Zahler himself. Suddenly this totally belabored costume drama that just happens to have cannibal gore in it is a "slow burn," instead of, you know, just being over-written. Russell and Co. are 'in their element' instead of, you know, chewing scenery with said over-written dialog. This white supremacist wish-fulfillment is a "genre blend" that is treated as novel instead of, you know, the logical extrapolation of how a white supremacist would treat genre in a postmodern context. The problem isn't even Zahler at that point, it's basic cultural literacy.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It's the Equinox

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I love this film. Criterion edition is way worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tctHCMAi8jw

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

OK, Horror Thread. I just got back from an advance screening of Jordan Peele’s Us, and I hate to report that it’s pretty weaksauce. It’s never very scary, it undercuts its tensest moments at any given moment with corny dad jokes, and it spends so much time in the last 20 minutes elaborating on its stupid premise and explaining nothing. It’s also got an obvious “twist” that it deploys basically right before the final shot that you’ll see coming a million miles away and which still doesn’t impact or change your perception of the movie in any way, beyond explaining why General Grevious has that cough - er, I mean why Evil Lupita Nyong'o talks like Jack Black doing that inward breathing bit from Tenacious D. Which now makes me more scared for that “Twilight Zone” reboot than anything else, if Peele is gonna whiff those “what a twist!” moments this badly.

I feel this was a movie with a premise in search of a deeper meaning, and it ended up never lighting on anything that anyone felt compelled by but no one cared enough to go back to the drawing board on it; gotta cash in on that Oscar prestige pretty quick, after all. (I mean, I get it with all of the doubling, Jordan, but what does any of it mean or matter?)

I feel like I’m not the target audience for this movie, and maybe there’s an element of vicarious enjoyment to be gained for African-American audiences when Peele saves almost all of the worst moments for the Sacrificial White Family, but I honestly kinda doubt that.

I feel like this is Invasion of the Body Snatchers by way of that terrible 90s Spider-Man “Clone Saga” storyline and that’s just not a melding that ever could have been expected to work.

More than anything, I feel like Peele maybe said everything horror-related with Get Out and that’s why he’s falling back on humor more obviously here than in his first film. At best, I hope that he’s gonna turn into an inverse Rob Zombie, another horror-film auteur coming from another medium, where all of his odd-numbered films are good and all of his even-numbered ones kinda suck.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hm, I'm gonna see for myself on Sunday. I'm stoked so I should probably expect to be disappointed.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

married but discreet posted:

Hm, I'm gonna see for myself on Sunday. I'm stoked so I should probably expect to be disappointed.

I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Class3KillStorm posted:

At best, I hope that he’s gonna turn into an inverse Rob Zombie, another horror-film auteur coming from another medium, where all of his odd-numbered films are good and all of his even-numbered ones kinda suck.

Rob Zombie has never made a bad movie

Yes I crowd-funded 31 why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

M_Sinistrari posted:

I love this film. Criterion edition is way worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tctHCMAi8jw

This is one of the best movie trailers ever made.