Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I’m currently chilling at the LITA store, which I didn’t realize is right in the same building as KEXP so I’m getting blasted with their fundraising driving interspersed with donation bait songs like Sound and Vision and Killing Moon

I picked up a Pallbearer record but every single one of those compilations people recommended is sold the gently caress out :11tea:

They didn’t have those Camberwell Now records in black vinyl on hand but he’s ordering them and he’ll honor the $9 price (thx so much caligulamprey)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

That’s all on the pREServed CD release which is cool but still a CD. The Satisfaction single is still easy to get ahold of, but The Beatles Play The Residents and The Residents Play The Beatles usually goes for around $1,300 Last I looked.

Thanks, Beatles fans.

EDIT: noooo thanks to tit phone posting I think I accidentally just rated this thread a one. You’re all five stars in my heart.

Didn't Superior Viaduct reissue the No Satisfaction single a few years ago?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Halfway through my first listen of Not Available and this is extremely my poo poo. Just when I thought I was done staring down Zappa size back catalogs...

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

kingcobweb posted:

They didn’t have those Camberwell Now records in black vinyl on hand but he’s ordering them and he’ll honor the $9 price (thx so much caligulamprey)
I appreciate that! Honestly I'm not big on forcing records on people and I tend to be very content just kinda going through my musical fetishes in a corner and if people are into it that's cool (I get really self-conscious about being overbearing, especially when talking about The Residents. Truth be told I can't loving stand talking to hardcore Residents fans, they tend to be humorless and have lost objectivity. Fanbases ruin everything.), but The Ghost Trade is one of those albums I feel I have to go to bat for whenever I can. I actually found a first pressing in a local record store (it hadn't actually been released in the states until the LITA reissues at all) a week after they put the pre-orders up and I bought the fucker on site because I couldn't wait.

CPL593H posted:

Didn't Superior Viaduct reissue the No Satisfaction single a few years ago?
For Record Store day a couple years back, actually. Purple vinyl. They also were the ones who put out that Santa Dog repressing along with the two-LP expanded Residue of the Residents that's worth tracking down. All B-Side-y stuff. Boy in Love is so pretty!

Also that new avatar is throwing me off.

Enos Cabell posted:

Halfway through my first listen of Not Available and this is extremely my poo poo. Just when I thought I was done staring down Zappa size back catalogs...
Hell yeah, Dogg!

I just got back from seeing Man Man for the first time (I'd only heard two or three songs) and holy poo poo, that show was a loving riot. For some unexplained reason Rebecca Black opened for them and she was charming, genuine and appreciative of being able to do what she did.

(a touch :nws: due to some illustrated nudity)

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 16, 2019

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

I just got back from seeing Man Man for the first time (I'd only heard two or three songs) and holy poo poo, that show was a loving riot. For some unexplained reason Rebecca Black opened for them and she was charming, genuine and appreciative of being able to do what she did.

Oh drat, the show at the Hawthorne? I almost went to that, but my band wanted to practice so I had to bail. Sounds like I missed a good time.

In vinyl news, I finally managed to grab two albums of The Mummies for less than $50 total, so I'm stoked about that. Speaking of missing out on shows, it seems they played a killer show here a few months ago and I had no idea. I need to up my live music game!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I thought it was a record store day thing. I managed to get Santa Dog a few years back after they were already not a thing you could easily get because I asked nicely and Newbury Comics had one single copy left in their warehouse and the guy working there had it sent to them so I could buy it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Yessss Man Man is the loving best

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

caligulamprey posted:

I appreciate that! Honestly I'm not big on forcing records on people and I tend to be very content just kinda going through my musical fetishes in a corner and if people are into it that's cool too (I get really self-conscious about being overbearing, especially when talking about The Residents. Truth be told I can't loving stand talking to hardcore Residents fans, they tend to be humorless and have lost objectivity. Fanbases ruin everything.), but The Ghost Trade is one of those albums I feel I have to go to bat for whenever I can. I actually found a first pressing in a local record store (it hadn't actually been released in the states until the LITA reissues at all) a week after they put the pre-ups and I bought the fucker on site because I couldn't wait.

I picks up those Camberwell Now issues because of this thread and they are loving awesome. Found them in the clearance section of one of my local stores to boot.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

marjorie posted:

Oh drat, the show at the Hawthorne? I almost went to that, but my band wanted to practice so I had to bail. Sounds like I missed a good time.
Dude, Man Man must be loving WIZARDS because they somehow sounded AMAZING at that garbage-rear end venue. My general rule is if it's at the Hawthorne, I skip it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Birthday haul :toot:

Schnitzel’s new release of “The Cockroach,” it is a lovely brown colour. While it may not be their strongest album, even the weakest Ween is greater than the best of many bands. Also I now have “Object” on wax :q:

Not specifically a birthday gift, but, I ordered a couple Golden Boots records for a friend, and the Discogs seller threw in their x-ray flexi for free!

Finally, not a record but music-related: ”A Summer’s Tale” six-color screen print gig poster from Belle and Sebastian, by Lars P. Krause. It’s beautiful and large – 16”x25”!

And some recent records I bought my own drat self so far this month

• Belle and Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress: I already own this, but gently caress it, I wanted the 2014 reissue’s new cover art and the price was right
• Warren Zevon ST: Obviously. I really don’t own enough WZ. Excitable Boy and The Wind (2003 pressing :smug: ) are my only other Zevon discs.
• Guma ST: Goon 1000 umbrellas’s debut release, very pleasing jazzy listening, ideal for chores and getting through nicotine cravings
• The Golden Boots Center Row: Technically there’s a non-Boots release, American Monoxide’s Always Be Quitting tape, but it is a solo release by Bootsman Dmitri Manos, so v:shobon:v Otherwise, there’s Labryyynth, which required a labryyynthine search to find a copy!! And flanking that, The Winter of Our Discotheque. A Discogs seller accidentally sent the wrong version of the Wooden Wand/GB split 7” but that’s alright as I’ve been meaning to pick it up for seven years now. H.A.L.T. Is a mixtape that Boots released last Summer, and the other tape and CD is Night Drives, three real long real smooth cuts designed for cruising after sundown. I wanted the tape copy because the art is made from postcards and that’s nice, and it came with a free Emergency Cloth which is simply delightful, and useful.... limited edition of 20, 3 remaining, act fast. Here’s a fun glamour shot of those tapes’ art

• Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins: Always wanted to taste some Of Montreal... not entirely feeling it yet, but I’m gonna give it a few more spins before giving up. Side A has a distinct early Beatles vibe.
• Sarah Webster Fabio - Jujus/Alchemy of the Blues: An $11 Amazon special, thanks to sporklift, MrSargent, et al, for bringing it to my attention a few pages and days ago during that VMP discussion. I haven’t had a chance to spin it but them’s frisbee prices, I can’t afford not to own it. The jacket is entirely too tight though. They could have made it less than a 1/4” larger and it would have been possible to safely and easily remove the record. As it is, the record sits behind the jacket in the plastic sleeve
Strange Relations - Editorial You: Twin cities diary rock duo, perfect for playing while you read a book at the end of a long day. Agonized over which variant to get for a while, did a formal and informal poll amongst friends and it was exactly 50/50 split, so I got both. Now that I’ve seen ‘em in person, I think I’ll keep the teal and gift the other. Note that only the clear smoky version comes with postcards.

And that is why I have no more money

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Amazing haul man, sounds like you have some amazing listening ahead of you. I just got my VMP records today and am spinning some De La Soul! I'll try to take some pictures later.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Got my copy of La Cucaracha as well. I really hope Schnitzel keeps reissuing old Ween albums so I can have a decent copy of all of em. Plain presses are trash for the most part, though my Mollusk LP is pretty decent.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

Amazing haul man, sounds like you have some amazing listening ahead of you. I just got my VMP records today and am spinning some De La Soul! I'll try to take some pictures later.

You got Oriental Jazz, right? What'd you think? That opening track is so, so good. As soon as those drums and piano kick in, I was 100% on board for the rest of the way.

Edit - Video of the performance is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of0uJu2kP2Q

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 17, 2019

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

pwn posted:

Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins: Always wanted to taste some Of Montreal... not entirely feeling it yet, but I’m gonna give it a few more spins before giving up. Side A has a distinct early Beatles vibe.

Please please please listen to Hissing Fauna You Are The Destroyer and Satanic Panic In The Attic (if you haven’t already).

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

trdn89 posted:

Please please please listen to Hissing Fauna You Are The Destroyer and Satanic Panic In The Attic (if you haven’t already).
Will do! Also received another record today, it’s a bit dusty but then, so am I

It is a solid 10 inches :awesome:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ballz posted:

You got Oriental Jazz, right? What'd you think? That opening track is so, so good. As soon as those drums and piano kick in, I was 100% on board for the rest of the way.

Edit - Video of the performance is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of0uJu2kP2Q

Yah I did get Oriental Jazz and just spun it. I'm going through my second listen now and absolutely love it. I definitely hear some beats I could make from sampling it...

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I've been cleaning up that Superscope R-330 receiver I posted in an earlier pic. I'm still getting a hum that's pretty noticeable and sounds like Providence from Daydream Nation. I've been using contactless cleaner and using that definitely helped but it's still there. What are my best options to fix this, if any? I tried getting some qtips to apply the contactless in the phono input but it's too big, boo

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 18, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Oh and here's more bragposting! Found these first two at the Goodwill by my house for $3 and $2 respectively:

Pop punk single including a genuinely amazing 40-page comic!

More pop punk, this time a 4-way split in a color that was limited to 250 copies

Now for two more records inherited by my dad:

Most of my dad's records got hit pretty hard in a flood, but this one is partially still in original shrink, so it turned out better than most.

LAMF didn't have the same fortunate fate. Fortunately it's not a record known for its sound quality anyway

And here's two of my finds from Wax Trax 8-10 years ago:

I've never seen a copy of Do Dallas in person, which is one of my most-wanted records. I'm keeping the $5 price tag on this one as an additional brag

I, too, was in high school once (record still rips obviously)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I've been cleaning up that Stereoscope R-330 receiver I posted in an earlier pic. I'm still getting a hum that's pretty noticeable and sounds like Providence from Daydream Nation. I've been using contactless cleaner and using that definitely helped but it's still there. What are my best options to fix this, if any? I tried getting some qtips to apply the contactless in the phono input but it's too big, boo

It could be a grounding problem. I have no idea how to fix that but it's probably a pain in the rear end because I have a guitar amp that does that and every place I called wants a fortune to fix it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

It could be a grounding problem. I have no idea how to fix that but it's probably a pain in the rear end because I have a guitar amp that does that and every place I called wants a fortune to fix it.

It's only the phono that makes the sound; does that help narrow down the problem?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

It's only the phono that makes the sound; does that help narrow down the problem?

Honestly it could be all kinds of poo poo and from what little I know about how these things work it may not rule out a bad ground. Did you open it up to see if any wires are loose or anything? Make sure you avoid touching the capacitors. I mean if the thing was cheap enough I'd suggest just buying a new one because if it's not a thing you can fix on your own there's a good chance a repair (if you even find someone who does that) could cost more than the thing is even worth.

Does the turntable have a pre-amp and if so is it switched off? It could be something extremely simple like this or your RCA cables are loose or something.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 18, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Honestly it could be all kinds of poo poo and from what little I know about how these things work it may not rule out a bad ground. Did you open it up to see if any wires are loose or anything? Make sure you avoid touching the capacitors. I mean if the thing was cheap enough I'd suggest just buying a new one because if it's not a thing you can fix on your own there's a good chance a repair (if you even find someone who does that) could cost more than the thing is even worth.

Does the turntable have a pre-amp and if so is it switched off? It could be something extremely simple like this or your RCA cables are loose or something.

I'll open it up and take pics soon, it looked... fine I guess? I don't know what it's supposed to look like tbh but nothing seemed egregiously wrong.

My table doesn't have a preamp but the receiver makes the sound when nothing's plugged into it

Honestly it's not a big deal and it's a cheap lovely receiver that I'll have to replace soon enough anyway because even fixed up it's not that great of a unit v:shobon:v

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I'll open it up and take pics soon, it looked... fine I guess? I don't know what it's supposed to look like tbh but nothing seemed egregiously wrong.

My table doesn't have a preamp but the receiver makes the sound when nothing's plugged into it

Honestly it's not a big deal and it's a cheap lovely receiver that I'll have to replace soon enough anyway because even fixed up it's not that great of a unit v:shobon:v

In that case I wouldn't even bother looking inside. Just toss it. I looked it up and couldn't even find anything about that brand.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

In that case I wouldn't even bother looking inside. Just toss it. I looked it up and couldn't even find anything about that brand.

Sorry I typo'd- it's a Superscope R-330

They're the parent company of Marantz

edit: but yes it's not great!

edit edit: whoops totally forgot there was a gadgets forum for this kinda talk sorry (sorry (sorry))

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 18, 2019

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R-330-Supe...4AAAOSwkV9cg~6Y

This one seems to have a similar issue. May be a common issue with that model.

I don't have experience fixing electronics but I think you usually have to find someone who knows what they're doing and just pony up the cost.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

Still one of my favorite albums of all time. CREAM is always in rotation.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My scores from the coupon sale last week at Half Price Books.

The Jayhawks was sealed - $5

Neil Young was $12 after the coupon. Pretty great price, never thought I'd see it under $30.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

Oh and here's more bragposting! Found these first two at the Goodwill by my house for $3 and $2 respectively:

Pop punk single including a genuinely amazing 40-page comic!

More pop punk, this time a 4-way split in a color that was limited to 250 copies

Now for two more records inherited by my dad:

Most of my dad's records got hit pretty hard in a flood, but this one is partially still in original shrink, so it turned out better than most.

LAMF didn't have the same fortunate fate. Fortunately it's not a record known for its sound quality anyway

And here's two of my finds from Wax Trax 8-10 years ago:

I've never seen a copy of Do Dallas in person, which is one of my most-wanted records. I'm keeping the $5 price tag on this one as an additional brag

I am legit jealous, I've always liked Mitch Clem's comics, and the rest of those range between "I've never heard those bands but I'm intrigued enough to" (the four-way single) to "poo poo, I want that a lot." (mclusky)

hexwren fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 19, 2019

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

mclusky is so loving good

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Paul ReiserFS posted:

mclusky is so loving good

I first listened to them like eleven years ago because DARYL loving HALL in the NMD thread in helldump (pre-phiz) called them the coolest band in the world. One of the truest bits of music analysis I’ve ever read

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
mclusky extremely good no question

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spin the mcluskyest vinyls u got

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Spin the mcluskyest vinyls u got

FCK!!!!!

Edit: I apologize for the typo. The word was supposed to be ‘gently caress.’

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

kingcobweb posted:

FCK!!!!!

Edit: I apologize for the typo. The word was supposed to be ‘gently caress.’

:hmmyes:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s weird, mclusky were from my city in which I went to hundreds of gigs yet never saw them live or really took the time to listen to them. Had to check their wiki to see if I knew any of the members personally, and it appears they met working for a small (and super lovely) company I worked for too. I’ll probably listen to them and really wish I’d bothered checking them out 15 years ago now.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s weird, mclusky were from my city in which I went to hundreds of gigs yet never saw them live or really took the time to listen to them. Had to check their wiki to see if I knew any of the members personally, and it appears they met working for a small (and super lovely) company I worked for too. I’ll probably listen to them and really wish I’d bothered checking them out 15 years ago now.

Thankfully Future of the Left are supremely good also, so you can keep the train going once you listen to all the mclusky

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

http://mybags.bandcamp.comhttps://mybags.bandcamp.com/album/a-quest-called-tribe

Tribute to ATCQ in a kind of library music style. MrSargent this seems up your alley.

I have this album by him and it's pretty rad.

http://mybags.bandcamp.comhttps://mybags.bandcamp.com/album/solstice

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

sporklift posted:

http://mybags.bandcamp.comhttps://mybags.bandcamp.com/album/a-quest-called-tribe

Tribute to ATCQ in a kind of library music style. MrSargent this seems up your alley.

I have this album by him and it's pretty rad.

http://mybags.bandcamp.comhttps://mybags.bandcamp.com/album/solstice

You are absolutely correct, this is extremely my kinda thing. I think I will probably break down and pay the international shipping since I am loving this so far.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

You are absolutely correct, this is extremely my kinda thing. I think I will probably break down and pay the international shipping since I am loving this so far.

It think it turned out to be $31 and change shipped which is kinda high but I dig what this guy is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Within the last few days I picked up the new Uranium Club LP and a friend sent me a surprise 45. Both slay and it's a good week.