Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

iospace posted:

*files ticket*

I need prod access, thanks and gods bless.

*marks it extremely low priority*

"So when a user reports a lost or stolen device, they can arbitrarily choose the priority level on the ticket?"
"Yeah, I called this out 5 years ago."
"Why aren't they automatically set to priority 'OMGWTF FIXITNOW'?"
"I KNOW, I CALLED THIS OUT FIVE YEARS AGO."
"We can fix that. Hang on. [typey-typey-type] Yeah, that's fixed."
"You mean...it was that easy?"
"Well, we have to wait a week for it to go thru review and get into prod, but yeah."
"Excuse me, I have to leave this call and go to my car and close the doors so you can't hear me screaming myself hoarse."

My favorite example from when I was a front-line analyst was the manager who filed a priority "we'll get to it whenever" for his intern, who'd been mugged in front of one of our buildings, and had her work phone and laptop stolen. Like...at the very least, make it a priority "this is kinda important in, like, a timely fashion" and not a priority "I mean, if you don't have anything else to do".

e: that reminds me, Sunday was my 5 years (plus 9 months as a contractor) with :yayclod: and that's the longest I've ever worked for a single employer. I think something is wrong with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I, also, have not caused any mass outages lately, to my knowledge :c00l:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

Namechat: I have an extremely uncommon Irish last name into which folks continually want to insert an R smack dab in the middle. No idea why. :shrug:
Hello, Nth Dorctor.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Mr. Fix It posted:

I, also, have not caused any mass outages lately, to my knowledge :c00l:

I have, but I successfully made it look like it was a system error. :cool: and it wasn’t yesterday.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Nice. A good cover up excuse is a beautiful thing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I was out sick yesterday, couldn't have been me. :v:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I'm a one-man shop so I know it wasn't me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PremiumSupport posted:

I'm a one-man shop so I know it wasn't me.
What do you mean "PremiumSupport" is a one-man shop?!? I pay a lot of good money for Premium Support....I demand a dedicated 'resource'!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

e: that reminds me, Sunday was my 5 years (plus 9 months as a contractor) with :yayclod: and that's the longest I've ever worked for a single employer. I think something is wrong with me.

Congratulations on your job security.

Next month I’ll have five years in my current gig as well. After almost thirty years in the industry five years is the longest I’ve ever been in one place.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

quote:

It's not PHP

There's no way it's PHP

It was PHP

Interestingly enough, when you leave an ancient PHP-fpm setup going and never loving touch it for years, poo poo starts to fall apart.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm currently stuck on a conference because of a mass outage so, uh

which one of you fucks are to blame?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'd say "you wouldn't believe the number of open mics on this call" but...you would. I know you would.

Someone has a jetsons ringtone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Renegret posted:

I'm currently stuck on a conference because of a mass outage so, uh

which one of you fucks are to blame?

You can blame me. I didn't know the thingy wasn't suppose to go into the other thingy.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

User submits ticket that mail from a domain is blocked by the anti-spam solution despite his whitelisting it and needs to be fixed ASAP
User has blocked domain
Screenshot
Advise user of error
Fix
Fin

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

kensei posted:

User submits ticket that mail from a domain is blocked by the anti-spam solution despite his whitelisting it and needs to be fixed ASAP
User has blocked domain
Screenshot
Advise user of error
Fix
Fin

I had a ticket like that on Monday. Customer calls in ranting and raving about how our WAF is blocking an IP and this isn't acceptable, they want a full audit of who blocked that IP, etc. etc.

Takes me two minutes to dig through the account's user activity log and reply "Well, sir, it appears that you yourself blocked this IP on $DATE, approximately three months ago. I can remove this with your permission, however, if you feel that this IP should no longer be blacklisted?".

Dude hung up on me. :lol: He did end up removing the IP from the site's blacklist though, but it was delightful to just as innocently as can be give him the "I'd be glad to figure out who did this! Looks like it was you!" news. :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kensei posted:

User has blocked domain
Screenshot
Advise user of error
Fix
Fin

Some people cannot grasp the difference between "blacklist" and "whitelist".

My PM, who is quite technically savvy and otherwise I have zero complaints about, needs me to re-explain which one means "exclude" and which one means "include" every single goddamn time it comes up

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
My coworker: "Why don't we document our static IPs in our password manager? We used to do this."

Me: "Password manager is for passwords. The static IPs are already documented on SharePoint plus our assets tool. Why do you want it documented in a third place that we now have to manage and keep track of?"

I sense im going to lose this battle.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Weaponized Autism posted:

My coworker: "Why don't we document our static IPs in our password manager? We used to do this."

Me: "Password manager is for passwords. The static IPs are already documented on SharePoint plus our assets tool. Why do you want it documented in a third place that we now have to manage and keep track of?"

Go for a compromise that requires IP addresses to have both capital and lowercase letters, numbers, symbols. And enforce a 30 day lifespan with no repeats allowed.

E: Don't forget to send out daily IP change emails starting 2 weeks before expiry.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

While your second argument is better, any password manager worth a poo poo is going to support arbitrary data and can be used to store any potentially sensitive information.

1password support 18 different data types, including just adding a document, and most of the data types support custom fields.

Keepass lets you create templates using custom fields and allows you to attach documents to any entry.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

kensei posted:

User has blocked domain
Screenshot
Advise user of error
Fix
Fin

An email came in from the security team, a toss over the fence forward of a logrhythm alert for too many failed logins for some random account getting locked out: “hey guys can you look into this?”

*does an nslookup on the source IP*

Reply-all: “dude, it’s your own nexpose scanning tool doing the login”

*crickets*

Our security team is worthless, especially the manager.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

The Fool posted:

While your second argument is better, any password manager worth a poo poo is going to support arbitrary data and can be used to store any potentially sensitive information.

1password support 18 different data types, including just adding a document, and most of the data types support custom fields.

Keepass lets you create templates using custom fields and allows you to attach documents to any entry.

Oh I agree, and I've been trying to get my company to move towards a more robust, centralized solution. Just that when you have an aging IT staff who've never thought about security its a constant uphill battle.

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice

Oh I agree, and I've been trying to get my company to move towards a more robust, centralized solution. Just that when you have an aging IT staff who've never thought about security its a constant uphill battle.

https://www.solarwinds.com/ip-address-manager

I've used it in four separate jobs now, 10/10 would recommend.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

devmd01 posted:

logrhythm alert

I had to parse this at least 7 times before my head stopped reading "logarithm"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The trick is to log tickets without rhythm.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Log without rhythm
and it won't attract
the worm

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Agrikk posted:

Congratulations on your job security.

Next month I’ll have five years in my current gig as well. After almost thirty years in the industry five years is the longest I’ve ever been in one place.

Any crazy stories from IT in the 80s? Mullets and snorting cocaine while working on the mainframe?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bigass Moth posted:

Any crazy stories from IT in the 80s? Mullets and snorting cocaine while working on the mainframe?

Pulling token ring cable sucks. 16mb token ring was so goddamn awesome compared to 10mb ethernet over hubs. NetWare 286 was awesome. OS/2 was dogshit. IPX/SPX was easy. TCP/IP was complicated.

I had an awesome mullet, that I was able to grown into full metalhead hessian-hair when I got to college. I had a janky boom box in the server room on which I would blast my bootlegged tape copy of Kill 'Em All at max volume while waiting for the hot-as-poo poo 386 server to reboot after upgrading it with a stack of floppies that came in the mail.

Calling some guy on the phone (whose number you found on a BBS somewhere) because he had a homegrown firmware update that fixed a token-ring NIC problem that would drop the thoughput from 16mb to 4mb and therefore drop the connection and having him mail me a floppy disk in a disk carrier via USPS free of charge.

Dialing in to one of four UC Berkeley modems to rlogin to University of Colorado's cluster to log on to CopperMUD because it was the best source of tech knowledge around (and killing Kobolds at level 2 was awesome).

Late 80's networked computing was so drat new and raw and wild west that everything was exciting and fun and everyone was building communities of sharing knowledge and new techniques (like compiling a PPP stack for Windows 3 so that multiple applications could use your dial-up connection at the same time on the same PC). Drinking was for later, when AOL and other ISPs ruined the playground for us. And cocaine was for 90s-era dot-com whisky-soaked rack-n-stack colo craziness when everyone was going to be the next WebVan and everyone was going to get stupid rich.

I still get a little twinge of excitement when I hear the chirping hiss of a 2400-baud modem dial in, though. It meant I was Going Online.

But the IT relics thread is that way.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Agrikk posted:

A glorious legacy
:stwoon: There's an IT relics thread?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Macaroni posted:

There's Tech Relics: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559

If there is an IT specific one I'm not aware of it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Macaroni posted:

I thought this was it?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This thread is by old dude for any and all IT peeps, old, young, whatever. I love the memories that others post. So says me, the OP.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's also an obsolete tech thread if you want a similar thing to read

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

Pulling token ring cable sucks. 16mb token ring was so goddamn awesome compared to 10mb ethernet over hubs. NetWare 286 was awesome. OS/2 was dogshit. IPX/SPX was easy. TCP/IP was complicated.

I had an awesome mullet, that I was able to grown into full metalhead hessian-hair when I got to college. I had a janky boom box in the server room on which I would blast my bootlegged tape copy of Kill 'Em All at max volume while waiting for the hot-as-poo poo 386 server to reboot after upgrading it with a stack of floppies that came in the mail.

Calling some guy on the phone (whose number you found on a BBS somewhere) because he had a homegrown firmware update that fixed a token-ring NIC problem that would drop the thoughput from 16mb to 4mb and therefore drop the connection and having him mail me a floppy disk in a disk carrier via USPS free of charge.

Dialing in to one of four UC Berkeley modems to rlogin to University of Colorado's cluster to log on to CopperMUD because it was the best source of tech knowledge around (and killing Kobolds at level 2 was awesome).

Late 80's networked computing was so drat new and raw and wild west that everything was exciting and fun and everyone was building communities of sharing knowledge and new techniques (like compiling a PPP stack for Windows 3 so that multiple applications could use your dial-up connection at the same time on the same PC). Drinking was for later, when AOL and other ISPs ruined the playground for us. And cocaine was for 90s-era dot-com whisky-soaked rack-n-stack colo craziness when everyone was going to be the next WebVan and everyone was going to get stupid rich.

I still get a little twinge of excitement when I hear the chirping hiss of a 2400-baud modem dial in, though. It meant I was Going Online.

But the IT relics thread is that way.

poo poo, are you me?

And yes, it was loving nuts. And super stressful. But also fun because you always felt like you were surfing the edge with how much everything was progressing in leaps and bounds.

Except for these. These were the spawn of Satan.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I remember a (probably made up) story about an IT guy who was pissed at his users and told them that when they unplugged their computer from the network, the Token fell out, and now they had to find it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kurieg posted:

I remember a (probably made up) story about an IT guy who was pissed at his users and told them that when they unplugged their computer from the network, the Token fell out, and now they had to find it.

That's a dilbert strip.

e:

e2: that dilbert was originally published in 1996

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 21, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So many Dilbert strips that are stuck in my subconscious and I wish I could quote them but, like Cosby's material, it's seen its last light of polite company

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Data Graham posted:

So many Dilbert strips that are stuck in my subconscious and I wish I could quote them but, like Cosby's material, it's seen its last light of polite company

Yeah, mid-90s Dilbert *spoke* to me. But since his brains leaked from his skull now I wince when I see one posted until I register “Oh, wait that one is from when it was still funny”.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bigass Moth posted:

My first IT job was installing Windows 3.11 on every computer in my dad's classrooms. He handed me a stack of floppies that seemed like it was a foot tall, and said, "Put disk 1 in the first computer and follow the directions. When it's done, take it out, and move it to the next computer. The put disk 2 in. Do that all the way down the line." The line being 30 computers per classroom, across two rooms.

No cocaine was involved, nor was there a mullet, but I was an 8 year old girl with tragic, "my hairdresser IS a former rodeo queen, why do you ask?" hair. There may have been Mountain Dew, however, and that's basically cocaine to a pre-teen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I was briefly confused, then found this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelschein/2018/06/20/dilbert-creator-scott-adams-is-evil-and-why-you-should-follow-his-lead/#610420d30a72

quote:

Donald Trump’s latest campaign to stamp out the immigrant wave that has “infested” (his word) America has alienated even some of his staunchest supporters. Not Scott Adams. Always the entrepreneur, the creator of the Dilbert comic strip has lately positioned himself as the defender and interpreter of all things Trump.

e: good god it's work than I thought https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scott_Adams

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 21, 2019