Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

sporklift posted:

It think it turned out to be $31 and change shipped which is kinda high but I dig what this guy is doing.

Yah it's honestly not a bad total price including international shipping. Might have to pull the trigger.

Speaking of 45's above, does anyone in here actually collect 45's? A big portion of my collection is actually 45's and I have been spending a lot of time with a collector buddy who mainly focuses on 45s. Its almost a whole new world of record collecting compared to LP's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have a bunch that I’m listing on discogs because I just don’t listen to them much (along with a ton of LPs I barely/never listen to)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Do you have any funk/soul/jazz 45s? I might be interested in grabbing some stuff from ya if you are selling. In particular, I am looking for stuff that would be good to DJ in an all-45 set. I find 45s fascinating because a LOT of music was only ever pressed on 45s, or specific versions of songs were only pressed on 45. Seems like a lot of vinyl DJs I know are making the transition to 45s.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I probably have about 20 or 25 45's. Mostly just cheap punk splits, singles that aren't on albums and a bunch of White Stripes/Third Man nonsense. I rarely play them, kind of a PITA.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

MrSargent posted:

Yah it's honestly not a bad total price including international shipping. Might have to pull the trigger.

Speaking of 45's above, does anyone in here actually collect 45's? A big portion of my collection is actually 45's and I have been spending a lot of time with a collector buddy who mainly focuses on 45s. Its almost a whole new world of record collecting compared to LP's.

I've probably got ~400 45s, mostly funk/soul. Most heavy soul collections end up being mostly 45, just because you end up in the weeds. I did a soul/funk night for a while and it was a LOT easier to carry a flight case of 45s than a bunch of 12s.

If you don't care about rare-spotters then you can actually put together a decent set w/ cheapies, might take awhile to find clean copies. Here's a bunch of random ones that I'd play out, just flipping through the first bit of my case:

e: bummer, cut off. the bottom right is darrow fletcher - way of a man. one of my faves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmt2fSpsOcU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Also, because I was usually playing to a punk/divebar crowd that like the music but didn't know much about soul I'd do a chunk of songs well known as samples / covers to get people onto the floor and always got good response. (_everybody_ knows the intro to Harlem Shuffle and the bridge from Lyn Collins - Think)

here's the ones that were in the case:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

JehovahsWetness posted:

Also, because I was usually playing to a punk/divebar crowd that like the music but didn't know much about soul I'd do a chunk of songs well known as samples / covers to get people onto the floor and always got good response. (_everybody_ knows the intro to Harlem Shuffle and the bridge from Lyn Collins - Think)

here's the ones that were in the case:

That's awesome man! I used to do some DJing with a DJ controller/laptop but would really like to do an all-vinyl set at some point. Would need to pick up another turntable, but I feel like I have a pretty good collection of stuff people would recognize and dance to. Thinking about transporting my turntables, mixer, and records to a venue does not sound like fun though.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

MrSargent posted:

I have a few hundred garage/punk/budget rock 45s and the big hole single is conceptually my favorite format. I'm also slowly picking up country 45s when I see bargains. But like JehovahsWetness, I'm doing the occasional vinyl dj nights and walking in the door with the equivalent of two shoeboxes for a night of music is way easier than walking in the door with a handtruck loaded with three 12x12x12 boxes of LPs. Barry isn't wrong to say that they're a PITA, and most people don't give a gently caress about the format, but it's great for a few genres that coincidentally had commercial peaks before the year 2000.

MrSargent posted:

That's awesome man! I used to do some DJing with a DJ controller/laptop but would really like to do an all-vinyl set at some point. Would need to pick up another turntable, but I feel like I have a pretty good collection of stuff people would recognize and dance to. Thinking about transporting my turntables, mixer, and records to a venue does not sound like fun though.

Look around your city and you'll be surprised how many bars have a full DJ rig set up in some neglected corner. Not everyone by any means but I bet you can find a few. You can probably give your own all-vinyl set a shot for the cost of a polite inquiry and a second cartridge.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Bread Dragon posted:

the big hole single is conceptually my favorite format.
:nws: Ah yes, 2000s-era Twin Cities queer punk group human being, you were made to live in a jukebox :nws:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
They're a PITA for home listening when you just want to sit on the couch and drink a beer but 100% make sense for DJing.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
My favorite store has a pretty huge 45 wall and does these really fun blind bags of a dozen or so for a fiver so I've built up a decent sized collection basically entirely from those.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

They're a PITA for home listening when you just want to sit on the couch and drink a beer but 100% make sense for DJing.

Drink less beer, snort more crank. Problem solved.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Just got an e-mail from Colemine records with a link to listen to a cover of "Impeach the President" performed by The Surefire Soul Ensemble ft. Kelly Finnigan. In the e-mail, they mentioned they are working on a 45 release of this cover which would be incredible. Impeach the President is one of the most-sampled songs of all time and was originally written and performed by The Honey Drippers during the Watergate scandal. Link to youtube below, I can definitely post a link when the 45 goes up for sale as well, it will probably sell out quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQZWjZaSKw

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

I think I have 500 or so. Pretty much all genres except hip hop. I've been buying funk and soul lately. Colemine is great. Kinda sucks that a lot of good funk and soul stuff is being released overseas so one single ends up being $20 or something crazy. https://www.juno.co.uk is a good online store to check out and I think they own mixcloud as well. I also fol,ow flea market funk on facebook as they are usually hip to a bunch of stuff coming out.

My favorite part about playing 45s in bars is when ya get a little drunk and forget to switch back to 33.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

MrSargent posted:

Thinking about transporting my turntables, mixer, and records to a venue does not sound like fun though.

45 king has you covered

https://youtu.be/pdg_KUP-GUU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

What a legend.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I have probably more than 50 but less than 100 singles but one of those is The Green Slime which is quite possibly the jewel of my entire record collection.

devamon
Jan 13, 2006

This week's haul!
Pretty excited about the JoCo Kickstarter albums, more pictures to come.

The other 7 albums are all inherited duplicates from a friend's father who was very excited to hear I had picked up a turntable and was working on my own collection.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Went to get a haircut and killed some time at Little Axe.

Cheap beat up copy of Black Sabbath. Hey if your Sabbath records don't sound like a hand me down from your cool older stoner brother you're doing it wrong. Is that dust in the grooves or bits of weed and dried up bongwater?

If Music presents You Need This: Eastern European Sounds (1970-1986) is a cool compilation of freaked out jazz. I think ninjatune puts these out.

Sleeping Beauties is a local rock band. I used to work...and drink heavily with the guitar player. Been looking for a copy to pick up.

Midnight Band - Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson. Love Gil so I always check it out if I see it. Listening as I post and it sounds pretty dope.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

sporklift posted:

Cheap beat up copy of Black Sabbath. Hey if your Sabbath records don't sound like a hand me down from your cool older stoner brother you're doing it wrong. Is that dust in the grooves or bits of weed and dried up bongwater?
Hmm I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to pay $30 for 180g versions of 70s records that sold eight million copies actually

That Eastern European comp looks cool as hell, I’m looking up some tracks on YouTube now

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

kingcobweb posted:

Hmm I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to pay $30 for 180g versions of 70s records that sold eight million copies actually

That Eastern European comp looks cool as hell, I’m looking up some tracks on YouTube now

At least the old records I buy are flatter than any new poo poo I buy. Haha. No really. How did they press them so flat. And they stayed flat for 40 year while clearly being abused. Sigh.

Yeah it's a cool comp. It was only $8. Looks like it's pretty cheap on discogs too.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
My copy of the last Caretaker record showed up today. I keep thinking about how it’s the end of an era; one of the first big record purchases I made around the time I started assembling a sociopathic collection was a copy of Deleted Scenes/Forgotten Dreams, and since then I’ve managed to acquire literally every LP Kirby put out in either colored vinyl or an original pressing. It’s the most obsessive segment of my collection and it’s complete, and it feels very odd.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

trdn89 posted:

My copy of the last Caretaker record showed up today. I keep thinking about how it’s the end of an era; one of the first big record purchases I made around the time I started assembling a sociopathic collection was a copy of Deleted Scenes/Forgotten Dreams, and since then I’ve managed to acquire literally every LP Kirby put out in either colored vinyl or an original pressing. It’s the most obsessive segment of my collection and it’s complete, and it feels very odd.

I just wish I liked any of his other releases as much as An Empty Bliss Beyond This World.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I see a lot of people charging those prices for old copies too. The trick is to buy the reissues a decade before everyone hops on the bandwagon.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I love Little Axe. It's always a place I go to to kill time when in the area doing something else and I usually end up walking out of there with two or three Black Dice 45s.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Yeah, Little Axe is great. Have you guys been to Tomorrow Records on Hawthorne? It seems a little small in terms of inventory, but I haven't been in to check it out yet.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've been meaning to. I pass Tomorrow on the way to work every day, but not when I go home so I haven't made my way out there.

Sacred Bones is reissuing Plantasia on color and black vinyl.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

I've been meaning to. I pass Tomorrow on the way to work every day, but not when I go home so I haven't made my way out there.

Sacred Bones is reissuing Plantasia on color and black vinyl.

Oh wow I was JUST listening to this the other day and wondering when it was gonna get reissued. Really, the guy deserves a Numero Group box set or something

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

marjorie posted:

Yeah, Little Axe is great. Have you guys been to Tomorrow Records on Hawthorne? It seems a little small in terms of inventory, but I haven't been in to check it out yet.

They have a pretty good inventory but I found their prices just a tad high? Maybe it was just the stuff I was checking out.

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
if you're looking at priced and sleeved inventory all stores are a tad high because they're physical stores

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

if you're looking at priced and sleeved inventory all stores are a tad high because they're physical stores

That really depends! My partner and I are making a project of hitting every record store in the Seattle area (there’s a LOT) and it varies widely.

I got a private press power pop album for $20 that’s $30 on discogs at Daybreak Records, and a rare early Grouper record at Beats and Bohos for $45 when the cheapest copy is $88 on Discogs. It’s not like these are thrift stores that don’t know what they have; there are stores that aggressively price stuff even in major cities if you find the right ones.

On the other hand, I live up the street from a couple record stores including Bop Street, which loving sucks and wants $35 for like a Johnny Cash greatest hits record even though they have inventory literally to their two-story ceilings

edit: from the same bin as the Grouper record I bought, here's one I decided to pass on

Oh and if you're Seattle local and as big a Grouper fan as I am, they still have another rare record of hers in that bin! Price was totally reasonable; I think it was this one?? It was my first time at Beats and Bohos and I was continuously blown away flipping through their bins

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 22, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
One time I saw that Fela/Ginger Baker record for sale in a bin at Wax Trax and a week later it was on display at the wall at Twist And Shout a couple miles away at double the price

Small record stores own, large ones are traps, in my experience (I’m sure there are exceptions and please tell me about stores you like in your cities)

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

kingcobweb posted:

That really depends! My partner and I are making a project of hitting every record store in the Seattle area (there’s a LOT) and it varies widely.
I have only shopped online but I enjoyed Jigsaw Records they had a lot of neat stuff and mostly new.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pwn posted:

I have only shopped online but I enjoyed Jigsaw Records they had a lot of neat stuff and mostly new.

Hahaha yeah that's three blocks from my house. Modern indie rock isn't my poo poo unless they crank up the noise real high; I flipped through their stuff and I didn't recognize a single name. I'll go in and pick up some local albums when I'm feeling adventurous and have some cash to burn

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've noticed that newer stores are the ones that price things too high, in fact I know of a few that opened in the last couple years that basically just see what the highest discogs price is and slap that number on there. Places that have been around a long time don't do that.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Mort Garson's Mother Earth's Plantasia is being repressed. Rough Trade has a terra cotta variant that is still available but Bleep's green and yellow variant is sold out. Don't sleep on this album if you're into space moog. The original pressing will set you back at least a couple hundred dollars.

edit: Vinyl Me Please is also getting their own variant so be on the lookout, VMP subscribers.

Ordered terra cotta from Rough Trade for $28 and change shipped. I didn't realize they had shipping from US, too. When I ordered the most recent Kid Krule album from them, it had to be shipped from the UK.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 22, 2019

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

kingcobweb posted:

M&L Records and Models can be fun (Ravenna area). It's got a good selection and also has a bunch of old vintage toys and models. Owner is an eccentric guy but nice. Almost every time I have bought a record he has some interesting or amusing comment about at least one of the records. I got this early 70s electroacoustic/musique concrète because the cover looked interesting and he told me about how the guy was involved at UW and also how he would use Stockhausen to get people to leave a party. I bought my first record there so I try to stop by from time to time. That whole area is changing now that the light rail won't be too far away down the road and condos and apartments are cropping up fast so I wonder how long it will last.

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

CPL593H posted:

I've noticed that newer stores are the ones that price things too high, in fact I know of a few that opened in the last couple years that basically just see what the highest discogs price is and slap that number on there. Places that have been around a long time don't do that.

i didn't really mean it as a knock against the store(s), just that the extra you're paying on the records are for that store's overhead, some being more and some being less. you're definitely right that the newer the store, the more likely it is that you'll see some really interesting pricing. you could always order from distros before online shopping was huge anyway it was just a pain in the rear end to save a couple bucks and you still had to wait.

anyway all that aside, record stores aren't good places to go because the records are cheap. they're good places to go because they're gathering points for the culture and the people that find value in participating in it. we'll never replace that and it'll only get worse from here.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

One time I saw that Fela/Ginger Baker record for sale in a bin at Wax Trax and a week later it was on display at the wall at Twist And Shout a couple miles away at double the price

Small record stores own, large ones are traps, in my experience (I’m sure there are exceptions and please tell me about stores you like in your cities)

I used to go to Twist and Shout alot, thankfully I stopped and exclusively shop at Wax Trax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

i didn't really mean it as a knock against the store(s), just that the extra you're paying on the records are for that store's overhead, some being more and some being less. you're definitely right that the newer the store, the more likely it is that you'll see some really interesting pricing. you could always order from distros before online shopping was huge anyway it was just a pain in the rear end to save a couple bucks and you still had to wait.

anyway all that aside, record stores aren't good places to go because the records are cheap. they're good places to go because they're gathering points for the culture and the people that find value in participating in it. we'll never replace that and it'll only get worse from here.

Oh for sure. A store front's overhead is crazy. I just find that the guys who have been around a while actually know what they're doing so they have a better idea of how to price and keep the doors open. They also don't like to gouge people that have been going there for years and years. The new guys bring none of that to the table. The problem is that the more recent collectors don't know any better than to pay these inflated prices so not only do the lovely new stores thrive but eventually the market decides that these prices are the prices.

I strongly prefer going to a store fro the reasons you mentioned. I also just find it joyless and boring to buy records off of a computer screen and I find myself doing it more and more often. For these and several other reasons I don't buy nearly as many records as I use to.