Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

No amount of nice posters will make me think this won't be as terrible as the other two times they tried to make Adventure sequels.

Either go for something new or give us the Tamers sequel the actual main writer of the series wants to do, Toei. Enough with this poo poo.

I don't want a tamers sequel unless it's chiaki doing it tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If I read Chiaki's "new" audio drama's script fifty two times in a row and tweet at him, maybe it'll make a new series happen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't want a tamers sequel unless it's chiaki doing it tbh

Hence why I said "the actual main writer of the series wants to do". Dude has full plans for a sequel, but Toei won't allow it, and it sucks because even from the CD drama alone it's clearly going to far better than Tri ever was.

But of course you can't milk nostalgia with Tamers as hard as you can with Adventure despite being the objectively better show, and Toei seems to have given up on the idea of actually progressing the franchise seeing how even the last actually new series was far more heavily a spinoff than any previous (still super good though, watch Appmon).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Teaser for Quattro should be here but video shows as not available to me. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/livedoornews/status/1103057776819896322

https://twitter.com/Digi_advntr20th/status/1103057923746365440

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hence why I said "the actual main writer of the series wants to do". Dude has full plans for a sequel, but Toei won't allow it, and it sucks because even from the CD drama alone it's clearly going to far better than Tri ever was.

But of course you can't milk nostalgia with Tamers as hard as you can with Adventure despite being the objectively better show, and Toei seems to have given up on the idea of actually progressing the franchise seeing how even the last actually new series was far more heavily a spinoff than any previous (still super good though, watch Appmon).

oh i thought you meant series as in digimon as a whole, not as in season. its kinda weird series means something different in accordance to japanese tv and american

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1103065258174775297

Delayed to spring next year, no animation to show. I wanted to give this a chance, but oh boy if that doesn't bring back tri memories.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The opening guitar of Butterfly still almost got me excited for this. Christ.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

The opening guitar of Butterfly still almost got me excited for this. Christ.

No amount of Butterfly could ever get me excited after Tri.

I'll happily listen to the song in all three versions I have on my phone to remember good memories but those memories are from the first series, not its followers.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They ruined teh adventure's musical cues with that tri movie that had brave heart play like five minutes straight

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I bailed from tri after movie 2. Glad to know I made the right choice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In retrospect, yeah, Determination was the last one that I actually enjoyed without (too much) reservation and could recommend without too many caveats.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It should be noted that this movie is not actually called Digimon Quattro (it's just "Digimon Adventure"). Considering some of the first art from the movie was of Tai and Yamato/Matt as adults I'm assuming it's still going to be a sequel though unless they changed their minds mid-production. Hopefully it'll be better than Tri but I still hope they actually do something new with the franchise one of these days.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Larryb posted:

It should be noted that this movie is not actually called Digimon Quattro (it's just "Digimon Adventure"). Considering some of the first art from the movie was of Tai and Yamato/Matt as adults I'm assuming it's still going to be a sequel though unless they changed their minds mid-production. Hopefully it'll be better than Tri but I still hope they actually do something new with the franchise one of these days.
Appmon only ended like a year and a half ago.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Appmon only ended like a year and a half ago.

How long was the gap between Xros Wars Hunters and Appmon again?

Also, yes this movie is still a sequel to Tri. Here's a picture of the main group as adults:

I know it's been gone a while but I miss Mimi's hat.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not as much of a fan of Tamers 2018 as it was when I first saw it. The only part I still like is Ruki being into motocross; Jian joining the NSA of all things feels incredibly out of character, Juri is reduced to sitting around waiting for Takato, and the whole "get preteen Takato from the past because normal Takato disappeared to find himself" (and... he didn't leave anyone his cellphone number?) is, to be frank, painfully stupid. Takato staying the same while everyone around him has aged and grown is just... something I don't want to engage with at all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Takato being pulled from the past is my favorite part of Tamers 2018 (boy, that name's gonna get more painful as time passes by), it allows him to be a focal character that's learning everything, while still being the character we saw at the end of Tamers who knew all that needed to be known.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Except he can't change or develop in a way that matters. He can't take any of this knowledge back with him. He's either doomed to being the same Takato we've always known, a static character who doesn't change so the future can play out exactly as it has, or that he'll lose his memories before going back to where he belongs. And it cheats us from seeing how he's developed like the others.

You can have a story where a character learns new things by introducing new problems and mysteries. It's been over a decade and the digital landscape has changed completely. He hasn't seen his Digimon in forever. There's plenty for an older Takato to learn and experience new things. The idea that you need to Dragon Ball GT Goku him for that to be possible is preposterous.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
People talk so much about Tamers. I’ll have to watch it someday.

Gonna still enjoy Adventure 2020 though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I liked the third movie as well but the fourth is one of the worst things in the franchise (not quite as bad as absolute lowpoints Frontier and Hunters but that's mostly because it's a single movie, if it had the same runtime it could easily be worse because it adds the bad pacing, artificial character arcs and no real resolution from those two with genuinely creepy moments that make me feel whoever's behind it is just showing their fetishes). The fifth is a bit of a step in the right direction but not good enough to compensate, and the sixth fails at delivering the emotional payload it set up and it leaves a crapton of open plots because they clearly realized they had to get a seventh movie out of this but had no idea how.

Oh yeah. That's a thing, Tri never really ends. The Homeostasis plot is finished completely off-screen and with no input from the main characters at all, but the Yggdrasil plot is still on-going with Evil Gennai running around, and we know just as little about him as we did in Tri proper. We can guess that this will be given an end in the next movie but it shows just how awful the writing here is because they willingly left all of this open in favour of making GBS threads out yet another sequel, which was clearly not in the plans, and it heavily hurt the pacing of Tri, which even by itself wasn't all that great.

Larryb posted:

How long was the gap between Xros Wars Hunters and Appmon again?

Hunters ended in March 21, 2012. Appmon started in October 1, 2016. Over 4 years, which is longer than the usual 3 year gap between series, likely because of Tri. Appmon itself ended September 30, 2017, so we may have a new series either late this year or, more likely, the next year. If Toei's done with milking the Adventure cow until it can't bleed anymore, anyways.

Nodosaur posted:

Except he can't change or develop in a way that matters. He can't take any of this knowledge back with him. He's either doomed to being the same Takato we've always known, a static character who doesn't change so the future can play out exactly as it has, or that he'll lose his memories before going back to where he belongs. And it cheats us from seeing how he's developed like the others.

You can have a story where a character learns new things by introducing new problems and mysteries. It's been over a decade and the digital landscape has changed completely. He hasn't seen his Digimon in forever. There's plenty for an older Takato to learn and experience new things. The idea that you need to Dragon Ball GT Goku him for that to be possible is preposterous.

I don't think this is true. It'd make sense if we knew 2018 Takato but we don't, we have no idea what kind of adult he grew up into. I'd love to have a full team of adults as well, but I don't mind younger Takato because he still can grow and change, he doesn't have a static thing he has to become. We also have no idea what the rules of time travel are in Tamers, and knowing Konaka, he'd probably put some serious thought into how that'd work.
I don't think it cheats us out of anything either, since 2018 Takato was clearly his own character, separate from PoV Takato, in the audio drama. If anything, it gives us two characters out of it - the mature, present but disappeared Takato and the younger, growing, unaccustomed-to-modern-technology Takato. It's an interesting setup.

Craptacular! posted:

People talk so much about Tamers. I’ll have to watch it someday.

Gonna still enjoy Adventure 2020 though.

Tamers is the best of the series and you're doing yourself a disservice as a Digimon fan if you don't watch it. That said, fair warning: the beginning is very slow. If you like slow-paced slice of life you'll enjoy it, but if you're here for a more standard adventure you'll hate it until the series moves away from that (which it eventually does, and it does not lose quality or strong character development from it).
I say this because Tamers is my favourite Digimon series, and I love it intensely, but those episodes are boring even for me. They have some really good highlights (the IceDevimon episode is insanely good) but there's a heavy focus on Takato being a normal kid with an extremely dangerous pet and it can get a bit irritating.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The first three Tri movies are good, though Agumon is weirdly regressed into a dumb baby monster who ONLY cares about eating

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They posted some stuff in advance of the Frontier boxset form Frontier's development, including early Agnimon and Wolfmon. Presumably these were made after they abandoned the concept of the series being a tournament arc and Wolfmon's role being filled by a bird man named "Griffomon" instead.

Agnimon was originally "Ifrimon" and changed considerably, while Wolfmon barely changed at all.

https://twitter.com/jinke_jinke/status/1101292513720061952?s=20

also this tweet by Kenji Watanabe has some interesting info re: Tailmon. This rough translation by Garmmon from WTW says:

quote:

About Tailmon, I had originally imagined it as white mouse/rat since I wanted to create a holy beast type small animal character. However, after I designed it, I thought, "it looks more like a cat than a mouse/rat..." and that's how Tailmon, a character with an unusually long and thin tail for a cat, came about. Though it kinda feels like it lost the 'holy beast' feel as well... (^^;

so Tailmon was originally gonna be a mouse or rat

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gatomon is a line of bullshit and misinformation

puppy to cat to angel to dragon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

that's digimon, man

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It probably didn't help that original sketch that another mouse character was atomically popular at the perceived rival during this time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They actually reference this in a 2003 drama CD where Hikari talks about how she thinks Tailmon is more like a mouse than a cat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Gatomon is a line of bullshit and misinformation

puppy to cat to angel to dragon

snowball -> dog -> cat -> angel -> dragon
cat -> sphinx
cat + bird -> ambiguous-gender birdman -> valkyrie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They're not going to seriously shaft season 2 crew again right?

Like, okay, look. I hate season 2. I hate Cody. I flat hate Cody.

But come on. Come on. At least give them new designs

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

They're not going to seriously shaft season 2 crew again right?

Like, okay, look. I hate season 2. I hate Cody. I flat hate Cody.

But come on. Come on. At least give them new designs

This is seemingly one movie instead of a series of them and we only have artwork of the Adventure cast.

I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

we dunno anything about they're doing with any of them besides the new character designs.

But honestly, the new movie should just be considered a new production. No one is returning from tri. except the voice talent. All the notable people working on it are staff from Adventure and 02, with the only meaningful absence being Kakudo, versus tri. where it was all new people. It could be good, or it could be terrible, we just have no idea yet. But tri. isn't really a precedent for what they'll do with it because it's a different set of people altogether.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/matsutomo_kaiju/status/1103327744371306502

:stare:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is that for sale and will there be more

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/status/1103457555215351808

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/1107373412136161281

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If that's less that $200 at release, I'll eat a Digivice.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is $110

https://showzstore.com/pre-order-tungmung-ex-dm-04-dm04-wargreymon-x-digital-monster_p1301.html

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait

Wait

Is that an official licensed thing, or is that a normal 3rd party thing?

Are we getting 3rd party Digimon figures now? Can I dare to dream?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Wait

Wait

Is that an official licensed thing, or is that a normal 3rd party thing?

Are we getting 3rd party Digimon figures now? Can I dare to dream?

It's third party, from a Chinese company. They've already done Dukemon X, Alphamon and Omegamon X.

https://showzstore.com/c/tungmung-ex_0470

I do not think is officially licensed, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I feel a strange amount of pride in this

Digimon's finally big enough to get this kind of treatment. Feels nice

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

how do i get it away from china and on to my desk??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

how do i get it away from china and on to my desk??

money can be exchanged for goods and services