Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I heard the Megaman and SF collection were plagued with issues, mostly input lag. Did that ever get sorted out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

il serpente cosmico posted:

Is there a lore reason as to why Claire and Leon don't get infected? I realize they weren't in the city when the outbreak happened (was it spread in the water supply, or through rats?), which would explain why they don't have the infection to begin the game. Do you need to be bit to get the virus, or will drinking tainted water alone do it? Is this one of those video game things where an injury needs to happen in a cutscene to be cannon?

The T-Virus is pretty bad about having things like a consistent infection vector (sometimes it's water-borne, sometimes bites spread it, sometimes it's aerial, sometimes it's all of these or none), and it's always been pretty bad about characters just randomly deciding to not get infected. There are even a couple of places throughout RE3 and CV where corpses get the T-Virus despite being buried for long enough that they're rotten through, simply because somebody thought it'd make for a cool scene.

The 10% immunity rate is from Wesker's Report II, and it's about as close to a general handwave as things get. There's also the Outbreak games to consider, where all the characters are specifically infected with the virus as a sort of level timer, but the infection clock stops for a while every time you use any healing item, and accelerates rapidly if you're ever downed via damage.

Gnome de plume posted:

It's also funny how little the movie cares about the implications of its plot when they introduce a cure that fully reverses the zombie state, so a bunch of people are going to spend the next few days making GBS threads out bits of their loved ones

I was rewatching it a while ago with that in mind, and it's actually kinda interesting that neither Chris or Leon actually kill any zombies in the city proper. The only zombies they run into at all are random older-looking infected in Arias's lab. Chris actually dodges a bunch of zombies while he's driving around in New York.

Although between the railgun shot and Leon's highway rampage, they probably had some explaining to do. I can't blame Leon for the dog being inexplicably buff enough to flip a car, but I sure can for all the incidental damage from his grenades.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

rabidsquid posted:

theres a box in that room somewhere so you didnt need to throw two things away

I kind of did. See I went into the back room first and grabbed the mini-gun, not knowing that there was a double plug thing I needed, because I hadn’t gone into the train.
Then when you go into the train, you get the cutscene with Sherry and the option of picking up the plug. But even if I went into the item box and put two items into the box to pickup the plug, I’d be hosed. Because as soon as I use the plug, the fight would start before I could use the item box.

The room is designed in such a way that you are supposed to pickup the plug first, use it and then grab the mini-gun as your last action before the fight starts.

Anyway thanks for the advice guys. I guess I just expected to go all Predator with the mini-gun, and not consider that they wanted me to use it in short, controlled bursts. Going to give that a try today.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Please help me, I'm stuck: Finished Leon A, doing Claire B.

I went to the parking lot, cleared it entirely and went back up to the chief's office. Now I'm stuck in that little area on the ground floor (interrogation room), chief's office level (there's a passageway but it's blocked by a safety shutter) and storage room upstairs, which is locked too. I tried going all the way back through the parking lot and I can get back as far as the Birkin fight and no further. I saw online that I'm supposed to take the stairs up to the break room, but the door from the parking lot to those stairs, is locked and doesn't seem to require a key.

edit: how do I get back to the rest of the police station? I'm stuck.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

go down the ladder and put out the fire on the helicopter

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I heard the Megaman and SF collection were plagued with issues, mostly input lag. Did that ever get sorted out?

EDIT: Actually, I believe the problems with the Mega Man collections were primarily with the X Legacy collection, which Digital Eclipse didn't do, as far as I can tell.

As far as the SF Anniversary collection, I don't think it has issues with input lag. It's slightly worse than the arcade originals (which were running on CRTs, mind you), but better than the original console ports in some cases.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 19, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Smirking_Serpent posted:

go down the ladder and put out the fire on the helicopter

Thanks! I found it finally.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

s.i.r.e. posted:

As far as MMLC and MMLC 2 go I didn't really notice any input lag (using keyboard FWIW), certainly not in the first collection where I just muscle-memoried through the lot with no issue at all. The Steam discussion section was/is still loaded with screeching "LaG iNpUt" complaints though, so it might be a thing if you use a controller? :shrug:

No idea about SF collection, stopped caring about that series sometime around when the umpteenth edition of SFII became a thing instead of seeing a SF3. I mean for gently caress's sake, that was some ludicrous poo poo. There are more versions of Street Fighter II than there are other non-SFII Street Fighter games.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 19, 2019

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MMLC1 was fine, there wasn’t any noticeable input lag to me. LC2 was not an Eclipse Engine game, I thought, since Digital Eclipse had no part in that collection’s development.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

As far as MMLC and MMLC 2 go I didn't really notice any input lag (using keyboard FWIW), certainly not in the first collection where I just muscle-memoried through the lot with no issue at all. The Steam discussion section was/is still loaded with screeching "LaG iNpUt" complaints though, so it might be a thing if you use a controller? :shrug:

No idea about SF collection, stopped caring about that series sometime around when the umpteenth edition of SFII became a thing instead of seeing a SF3. I mean for gently caress's sake, that was some ludicrous poo poo. There are more versions of Street Fighter II than there are other non-SFII Street Fighter games.

Are you not counting the DLC versions of Street Fighter IV and V as separate versions? Because if you do then I think it just squeaks out with 3 versions of 3, 5 versions of 4, and 2 versions of 5 beats the, uh 8? Versions of 2.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Honestly I lost count/stopped counting a few years ago so it was probably wrong the moment I started typing :v:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

redreader posted:

Thanks! I found it finally.

This has happened to many, many people - I think everyone gets so used to checking the map for staircases that they forget about the ladder off the balcony down onto the terrace with the fire or whatever.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

MMLC1 was fine, there wasn’t any noticeable input lag to me. LC2 was not an Eclipse Engine game, I thought, since Digital Eclipse had no part in that collection’s development.

Yup, I was wrong. LC2 wasn't handled by Digital Eclipse. Capcom handled it themselves, but they still ported the games, rather than emulating them.

As far as multiple versions of fighting games, that's basically how studios iterated on them before the internet was a thing. As annoying as it was to see an updated version of a game you've already bought sitting in stores, it kept the competitive scene alive in the arcades, and the various versions of SFII had some big mechanical changes aside from the new characters.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 19, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I finished Claire's second run last night with an absolute embarrassment of resources left over. I don't necessarily notice myself getting better, but it's interesting how you naturally make little adjustments that increase your efficiency as you go through your playthroughs. Walking past most Lickers helps preserve a good amount of ammo. Now I just need to bang out Leon's second run before Friday when Sekiro comes out. I got started on it last night and I like Leon's alternate pistol quite a bit, even if he holds it like a dipshit (I am aware this is a reference to the PSX original).

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it's cool they included the alternate handgun stance, but it looks dumb as hell with his normal cop uniform. Would work better with an alternate costume like in 1998.

Although that does remind me that Leon's alternates are way too serious.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it's cool they included the alternate handgun stance, but it looks dumb as hell with his normal cop uniform. Would work better with an alternate costume like in 1998.

Although that does remind me that Leon's alternates are way too serious.

I stuck him in his casual clothes so he looks like less of a dope.

I do enjoy sticking him in his police uniform. It makes the intro pretty good when Claire says, "Wait, you're a cop?" to a guy in a police uniform driving a cop car.

On another note, RE2R seems like a great candidate for Summer games done quick. I wonder which play-through the community will get behind as the standard / most common one?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
His casual clothes make this weird noise either from his trainers scuffing the floor or the fabric of his jacket that really grates me otherwise I dig civvy Leon.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

DeadButDelicious posted:

His casual clothes make this weird noise either from his trainers scuffing the floor or the fabric of his jacket that really grates me otherwise I dig civvy Leon.

I would but my comp goes ape poo poo from the clothe physics of his jacket for some reason. :(

Finally got around to playing REmake thanks to the HD remaster on Steam (late to the party I know shutup) and one thing that is cracking me the gently caress up is that they barely changed the lines from the original. So you have actual voice actors trying their best to make "Is that voice Jill's?" "Is that Enrico's?" sound natural. It's so goofy I love it.

Bad opinion time: I do NOT love the Crimson Heads and all the baggage that comes with them. Already gotta keep an eye on the inventory but I'm supposed to either lug around a lighter AND oil or strategically make kills near safe rooms so I can run back and forth? Destroys the pacing I tells ya.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

i detest that swishy windbreaker noise

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Oxxidation posted:

i detest that swishy windbreaker noise

Is that what it is?! Holy gently caress that's so annoying to hear when running around everywhere.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I haven't noticed it yet, but now I'm sure I will god damnit

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Felt fine to me as well. I’m sure there is some lag since the games were designed for CRTs but everything felt great to me. A lot of those compliments were probably from people with laggy monitors/TVs or just being bad at games.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Felt fine to me as well. I’m sure there is some lag since the games were designed for CRTs but everything felt great to me. A lot of those compliments were probably from people with laggy monitors/TVs or just being bad at games.

The other problem that a lot of games face (particularly console games) is that certain implementation of VSync can add a ton of input lag. Hollow Knight on the switch had this problem, I think, and they say they can't fix it because it's inherent to Unity. You can alleviate this problems on PC by turning it off in-game and forcing it in your GPU driver / using a frame limiter / using G-Sync. It's rare that you can opt out of VSync on console titles.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Emulation through Retroarch is actually super impressive as it has less lag than the original systems hooked up to a TV.

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/...unahead-method/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I finished Claire's second run last night with an absolute embarrassment of resources left over. I don't necessarily notice myself getting better, but it's interesting how you naturally make little adjustments that increase your efficiency as you go through your playthroughs.

That's kind of how the original games worked out - before the internet and if you weren't spending money on strategy guides - and as you learned which poo poo was pointless to do or pick up. IN a way I sort of prefer it like that and did my first 4 runs blind (save for some codes and combinations) but the only problem with the original games was that by the time you played enough to get fast times and earn the bonus weapons you were kind of over it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Convex posted:

Emulation through Retroarch is actually super impressive as it has less lag than the original systems hooked up to a TV.

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/...unahead-method/

I’ve never been a fan of Retroarch but this will definitely get me to give it another look.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

BiggerBoat posted:

That's kind of how the original games worked out - before the internet and if you weren't spending money on strategy guides - and as you learned which poo poo was pointless to do or pick up. IN a way I sort of prefer it like that and did my first 4 runs blind (save for some codes and combinations) but the only problem with the original games was that by the time you played enough to get fast times and earn the bonus weapons you were kind of over it.

Yeah, honestly, the biggest glory of the internet for me has been looking at videos of runs to get the S+ hardcore unlocks without having to come up with the strategies on my own, so that I can then go back and casually explore and play the game with that stuff unlocked. Sort of a sandbox mode, after all the struggling, so that I can focus on mopping up achievements and exploring the game spaces without having to worry about ammo or being cornered by lickers. If I had to do everything on my own, it'd make the idea of 100%'ing the game seem daunting, but this way I get to knock out the things I view as hardest first, so that I can get back to exploring and enjoying the game in the way I prefer, if that makes sense.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along

s.i.r.e. posted:

Not remaking them, but giving us the PSX releases.

Porting console games to PC takes a good bit of effort.

Look at the tremendous failure that was the Dark Souls port to PC. FromSoft had to appeal to PC gamers and modders to help with things like controls.

FromSoft please port Bloodborne to PC

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The odds of that are slim to none since Sony published it. God I would love a 60FPS Bloodborne

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Japan Studio did a bunch of work on that game so it's technically a Sony-made game. From didn't even include it or Demon's Souls in their Anniversary game recap video late last year.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Helldivers and Journey eventually made it to PC (Journey isn't out yet but it's been announced), so it's not like there's no precident for it, but BB is a pretty big exclusive for Sony and I just can't see it happening. Journey finally came over after 7 years; it's not like it's selling systems anymore. And Helldivers was always a smaller game.

A PC port of Demon's Souls would also be dope. Bluepoint Games is working on something unannounced right now. I'd take a PS4 remaster of Demon's Souls if it ran at 60fps.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Helldivers and Journey eventually made it to PC (Journey isn't out yet but it's been announced), so it's not like there's no precident for it, but BB is a pretty big exclusive for Sony and I just can't see it happening. Journey finally came over after 7 years; it's not like it's selling systems anymore. And Helldivers was always a smaller game.

A PC port of Demon's Souls would also be dope. Bluepoint Games is working on something unannounced right now. I'd take a PS4 remaster of Demon's Souls if it ran at 60fps.

i mean, demons souls very much never did make it to PC so there pretty much is precedent against it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
My first play through was 7:30 and I was aiming for a much better time in Claire b. I got 6:15 in the end but my rank was a lot better. I spent at least an hour trying to figure out how to leave the chiefs office area in b. What's the first speed run challenge I should aim for?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If you haven't got it already and kept multiple saves, hop in and shoot the Mr Raccoons you missed. The infinite knife makes other runs much easier.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Quick question: can you unlock multiple guns in a single run? Like if I get a S rank on hardcore does it unlock the pistol as well?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Commissar Canuck posted:

Quick question: can you unlock multiple guns in a single run? Like if I get a S rank on hardcore does it unlock the pistol as well?
I know I got the infinite rocket launcher and the infinite SMG at once, so I think so - those technically have different requirements, but I got them as a package deal anyway. Not sure this would work for the Samurai Edge because that one is explicitly rewarded for S-ranking normal, while you get the others for S-ranking hardcore.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The odds of that are slim to none since Sony published it. God I would love a 60FPS Bloodborne

Same here, shame that poo poo is stuck on Sony's platform where it'll just get milked with rereleases until the sun dies.

Policenaut posted:

Japan Studio did a bunch of work on that game so it's technically a Sony-made game. From didn't even include it or Demon's Souls in their Anniversary game recap video late last year.

Japan Studio, as far as I'm aware did technical stuff but the bulk of everything was done by From.

Commissar Canuck posted:

You can unlock multiple things per run, so if you start the game fresh and manage a Hardcore S+ rank you'll get a ton of stuff.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

Same here, shame that poo poo is stuck on Sony's platform where it'll just get milked with rereleases until the sun dies.

They couldn't even be bothered to do a patch for PS4 Pro. I would have been happy with a patch that addresses the terrible frame pacing (the increase CPU power of the Pro would have helped).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is anyone else kind of amazed that Annette Birkin actually isn't voiced by the same person in both versions of the game? I got curious about this and listened to them side-by-side and it's actually incredibly similar. The kind of detail they paid attention to in this remake is really kind of amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

s.i.r.e. posted:

You can unlock multiple things per run, so if you start the game fresh and manage a Hardcore S+ rank you'll get a ton of stuff.

Thanks!