Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

theflyingorc posted:

Why is autopilot legal

because the nhtsa isn't done with their many many investigations of tesla crashes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

because the nhtsa isn't done with their many many investigations of tesla crashes

NHTSA has been in the tank for Tesla for a while. NTSB, on the other hand, does not love the car and if it finds systemic flaws in Autopilot with this latest Florida fatal crash, its report might finally force NHTSA to act.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

My Linux Rig posted:

tbf he actually has a valid point about that, american drivers are dangerously inept
Yeah, I'm sure that's that Stemlord McGee meant.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

indigi posted:

does it feel like driving a BMW? I get >50mpg on my Prius (usually doing 75-80mph on my commute) but it doesn't feel like it has much power once you're over about 70

i mean it felt like an appliance. i'm used to e30s so it definitely doesn't feel like one of those, but it was still very responsive and fun to drive. a prius is a little more practical and has less than half the horsepower.

it honestly wasn't as fast as i expected, but it certainly wasn't slow. it was a blast for a day.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

i've been averaging high 30s low 40s for the lifetime of my vw jetta. it's got a 1.4l turbocharged engine and will flat loving move if i put the gas down but will also get insanely good gas mileage both city and highway. i average 45mpg on the highway and can easily pass anyone or match speed with the maniacs on the florida turnpike and i75 without trouble.

awesome to hear, we are about to take a new Golf with this engine; and I was a bit concerned it wouldn’t be smooth enough but Wife says it’s smoother than our old (40L per 100km city, 3L ish on highway!) thirsty 2.8 Passat.

servicing costs ideally won’t be as insane too. $700 for an interior light fitting?! nooo we will stay in the dark thanks VW / Audi.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

does the golf have the same 6 speed transmission? it's real good.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

in the reddit thread they mention that because stationary objects are usually false positives autopilot ignores them entirely

including, for example, stationary objects right in the path of the car

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the judge has not yet ruled on Musk's Monday request to respond to the SEC response to Musk's response to the SEC contempt filing. she granted the SEC's request to be allowed to file a response the same day the SEC filed it.

I don't think it is gonna be a yes.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

drgitlin posted:

NHTSA has been in the tank for Tesla for a while. NTSB, on the other hand, does not love the car and if it finds systemic flaws in Autopilot with this latest Florida fatal crash, its report might finally force NHTSA to act.

whoops that's right the ntsb is the entity that's performing those and has already gotten mad at ol' musky's antics

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

lancemantis posted:

lol its always a fat guy in a sports car
given that apparently crossovers are all the rage because corpulent boomers can't get in and out of any other kind, I admire this guy for making the fun choice :shobon:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
as government agencies go NTSB is pretty baller imo. they don’t have much real power beyond producing such impeccably researched and undeniably true reports that regulatory agencies like the FAA are sometimes forced to take action despite all the sweet industry lobbying money telling them not to. in order to have any impact, they’ve maintained a culture of doing just that for like 50 years or more.

they also do cool stuff like getting everyone to sign off on NTSB reports not being a basis for legal blame fixing, because it’s more important to discover the true root cause of accidents. you don’t want a pilot who survived an incident to be afraid of admitting to pilot error, you want to figure out how it happened and how to train pilots better to avoid that mistake in the future, or fix (for example) a confusing cockpit gauge layout that contributed to the mistake, or both. (it’s usually both, they are super meticulous about not reducing things to a single causal factor)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have posted an effortpost in here about it before, but where the NHTSA is just the government point of contact to the auto industry, the NTSB is the not-airplanes counterpart of the FAA. they both started out as the same organization in fact and were split apart in the 60s. it has the same level of regulatory power as the FAA and the same ability to Ruin Your Day With Extreme Prejudice. they normally don't do much with cars because the NHTSA will handle it and they have bigger things to worry about, like oil tankers running aground or rail disasters. but they have the ultimate authority over road safety and they will take notice if they think there's a big enough problem.

if the NTSB is starting to inquire about your car's safety, you are already well up poo poo creek

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

does the golf have the same 6 speed transmission? it's real good.

7 speed DSG, and on the worst possible test drive (st Kilda, with a Yammering mum in the back firing inane questions ) apparently it goes and stops •very• nicely..

route here https://lformation.com.au/site/driveSummary/3134877?t=1c76e43fa0c666edaa8a636e0c792bd6b3113ef8

can’t wait to get into a 21st century vehicle. old Passat was lovely but quite vapourwave era too.. we lose leather and sunroof but gain a heap of cool things.. especially the UV tint, good aircon and all the car play stuff will be highly appreciated.

last car didn’t even have parking sensors even tho RRP was extremely close to A100 grand!

glof about $30K which is a bargain and a half with the extras they threw in, could not say no to this deal.

stirlo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 21, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i have posted an effortpost in here about it before, but where the NHTSA is just the government point of contact to the auto industry, the NTSB is the not-airplanes counterpart of the FAA. they both started out as the same organization in fact and were split apart in the 60s. it has the same level of regulatory power as the FAA and the same ability to Ruin Your Day With Extreme Prejudice. they normally don't do much with cars because the NHTSA will handle it and they have bigger things to worry about, like oil tankers running aground or rail disasters. but they have the ultimate authority over road safety and they will take notice if they think there's a big enough problem.

if the NTSB is starting to inquire about your car's safety, you are already well up poo poo creek

this is almost entirely wrong

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
nothing is ever "just" pilot error. it might be lack of training, it might be fatigue, it might be confusing equipment, it might be the certification authority not doing their job and letting someone totally incompetent get certified.

this is less true in driving, where allowing total fuckups behind the wheel (despite repeatedly loving up) is par for the course

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

no it isn't.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Endless Mike posted:

Sagebrush posted:

no it isn't.

Oh gee, a "you're wrong", "no you're wrong" without any citations to back either claim up.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yeah even fishmech can quote a wikipedia article

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sagebrush posted:

i have posted an effortpost in here about it before, but where the NHTSA is just the government point of contact to the auto industry, the NTSB is the not-airplanes counterpart of the FAA. they both started out as the same organization in fact and were split apart in the 60s. it has the same level of regulatory power as the FAA and the same ability to Ruin Your Day With Extreme Prejudice.

i don’t think you quite understand the faa-ntsb relationship.

the ntsb is not a regulatory agency. they are an agency which investigates transportation accidents. (this includes aviation, and in fact most of their work is in aviation.)

the reason the ntsb got split off was concern that the investigative arm of the faa couldn’t be trusted to identify bad faa regulations as contributing to an accident. also, despite being a regulator, by charter the faa is supposed to promote the aviation industry, so that’s another built in conflict of interest. by splitting investigations into a truly independent agency with no charter beyond identifying the most likely cause of accidents, they hoped to get truer results.

it worked. the ntsb is one of the few agencies that hasn’t been corrupted all to hell, and a huge reason for that is their formal toothlessness. nobody buys out the ntsb because it’s only the faa which can issue an airworthiness directive. the ntsb’s role is to publicly scold them into doing so, when needed.

i think it’s the nhtsa which is the faa analogue for highways. regardless of who the regulatory agency is, the ntsb report on Tesla autopilot crashes can’t be anything more than a very stern callout of everyone who actually can do something about it. (the ntsb does love to throw shade on regulators in its reports sometimes btw, it’s pretty great)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

no it isn't.

quote:

To date, the NTSB has issued over 13,000 safety recommendations to more than 2,500 recipients. Because the NTSB has no formal authority to regulate the transportation industry, our effectiveness depends on our reputation for conducting thorough, accurate, and independent investigations and for producing timely, well-considered recommendations to enhance transportation safety.
yes it is. bobhoward's description is far more accurate. you got their history correct, but both they and faa's missions have changed a bit in the intervening 50 years since dot was established with faa as a part of it and ntsb as a separate, independent agency.

the faa is a regulatory agency within dot. faa has the ability to write, modify, and enforce regulations related to air transportation, investigate air transit-related incidents, and issue penalties - both civil and criminal - to people or entities found violating said regulations. ntsb can do none of this other than the investigation part. ntsb is an independent agency with the specific mission of offering objective investigations of transportation-related accidents, which are then used to develop recommendations for the regulatory agencies to improve safety, but these recommendations do not have to be followed, though they mostly are (around 73% have been adopted).

none which is to say they're not important. quite the opposite - it's good to have an independent agency that largely doesn't have to deal with lobbyists offering some sort of oversight over ones that more directly interface with industry, but no, their authority is not remotely on the level of faa or nhtsa - the actual regulatory agencies. but yes, if they're looking into you, you're probably doing something really wrong, and there's a good chance something's going to change.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

thank you for the interesting and useful information

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i would like it if buses got preferential stoplight treatment of a certain type. basically every direction of the intersection turns red, and then the bus gets to roll through while a special traffic light turns on that has a picture of a bus and says BUS in big shiny letters. this sign will be funded by a special fee that CHUDs have to pay every time they want to lodge a public complaint about the special BUS sign

e: also buses in metro MSP don't use the HOV lane. they get to drive on the shoulder of the road during rush hour past evvvvvverybody :getin:

light rail needs its own stoplights too. heck of annoying sitting at like snelling ave for 2 minutes waiting for all the dumb cars to go through.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
how is traffic congestion for transit even real haha like just grade seperate!! for your health

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Endless Mike posted:

remember when forza came out with "drivatars" that analyzed your bideo jame driving and would make an ai version to race online so you ended up with a bunch of cars crashing into you constantly?

what i am saying is this is where tesla got their data

a reminder that the best source for training data for many of the models used in self-driving research programs on the road today is gta v

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

drgitlin posted:

The i8 is a weird one. the coupé blew me away when I tested one in 2015. It felt 200kg lighter than it is, and 150hp more powerful than the specs. and even if you drove it like you stole it it would still do 35mpg.

Then they sent me the i8 Roadster at the end of last year and it was utterly dire. Creaked and rattled over every bump and barely had enough power to get out of its own way.

Just nope on BMW convertibles except the Z1.

The list of honest to God cool and good roadsters is rather short and out of my head only the MX5 and S2000 come to mind and both have been developed as roadsters from the get go instead of desperately trying to strengthen a top chopped coupe that just won't get rigid again without a roof.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

which MSP bus routes do this? the only routes i know that drive on the shoulder do so by driving on the shoulder next to the rightmost lane. if a bus route normally uses the shoulder, it would make no sense for them to go from the far right side of the road all the way over to the HOT lane on the far left side

e: also this type of maneuver wouldn't even be possible on one-third of the roads that have HOT lanes (394)

I've seen it on 35w in south Minneapolis but that's where most of my commuting experience was for years

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Combat Theory posted:

The list of honest to God cool and good roadsters is rather short and out of my head only the MX5 and S2000 come to mind and both have been developed as roadsters from the get go instead of desperately trying to strengthen a top chopped coupe that just won't get rigid again without a roof.

I think the 991 and newer porsche 911 started with engineering the convertible first

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Yeah, I'm sure that's that Stemlord McGee meant.

lol I know, it’s just funny to hear people talk about how dangerous it is to walk around a certain city when you know it’s them making it dangerous

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

wargames posted:

why we can't have nice things

https://i.imgur.com/UMqDC14.mp4
fuckin lmao

this is why everyone is making garbage SUVs

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Munkeymon posted:

I've seen it on 35w in south Minneapolis but that's where most of my commuting experience was for years

well yeah but isn't that because there is that goofy bus stop in the middle of the one bridge over 35w in south minneapolis? all the other shoulder buses i see are on the outside shoulder, not the inside one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

fishmech posted:

how is traffic congestion for transit even real haha like just grade seperate!! for your health

yeah, but it costs a lot of money. idk where you are, but here, despite the fact that the vast majority of daily commuters use pubtrans, we have a real hard time putting money into pubtrans

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

well yeah but isn't that because there is that goofy bus stop in the middle of the one bridge over 35w in south minneapolis? all the other shoulder buses i see are on the outside shoulder, not the inside one

do y'all not have regional transit between cities in minnesota? that's what we use our hov lanes for here, where they exist.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

do y'all not have regional transit between cities in minnesota? that's what we use our hov lanes for here, where they exist.

ironically the highway that connects the two cities in Minnesota does not have an hov lane

the highways that connect the cities with suburban sprawl do however

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i think someone at my workplace rents a full on charter bus looking setup for carpooling

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Combat Theory posted:

What are your thoughts on the 128i from about 10 years ago? I've been eyeing the 1 series for awhile but never pulled the trigger.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
Cross post from the D&D politoons thread.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

infernal machines posted:

we do have a regional transit system. one of the nice things is that the whole system is linked together with seamless transfers between the main system (Metro Transit) and the couple of suburban systems

we basically uh, don't have HOV lanes though? i dunno if this is right but i think there are only true HOV lanes on some of the freeway entrances that have the stoplights for rush-hour time gating

traffic here is never really that bad though unless you are on a popular commute route during rush hour, and during those times buses run along the outer shoulder of the road past the gridlock. the worst time is really during snowstorms, but that's not really a transportation planning issue :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

we do have a regional transit system. one of the nice things is that the whole system is linked together with seamless transfers between the main system (Metro Transit) and the couple of suburban systems

we basically uh, don't have HOV lanes though? i dunno if this is right but i think there are only true HOV lanes on some of the freeway entrances that have the stoplights for rush-hour time gating

traffic here is never really that bad though unless you are on a popular commute route during rush hour, and during those times buses run along the outer shoulder of the road past the gridlock. the worst time is really during snowstorms, but that's not really a transportation planning issue :v:

35E and 694 has HOV lanes

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

those are HOT lanes :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Lutha Mahtin posted:

go downtown during rush hour. they drive on the shoulder on surface streets too