Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
nuskanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

malbogio posted:

I feel bad for the Orm too but I think El's position might be necessary.

Consider how Azazel bartered for our dog because he smelled "sentiment" on it, Paebel has become supernaturally stealthy, our friends and family have stopped aging, and the general Prosperity Aura covering all of Kavodel.

There is reason to believe that everything Enkidel cares about is receiving some form of boon dependent on how much he cares about it. Whether this is because Enkidel is "favored" by El, because of all the Sentiment from other powerful beings directed towards Enkidel, or because of investiture by Enkidel's parent(s) is hard to tell. This may include all of the gods we have encountered towards which any portion of us feels something resembling affection or respect.

By caring about the Orm we might inadvertently be feeding it.

this is actually a good mechanics theory i hadn't noticed before

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Speaking of Paebel what's the theory why his kids aren't ninjas. He even switched to Enkidel El heresy for the immortality and fertility buff already.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Polgas posted:

Speaking of Paebel what's the theory why his kids aren't ninjas. He even switched to Enkidel El heresy for the immortality and fertility buff already.

How many of their names do we, the posters, actually know.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

How many of their names do we, the posters, actually know.

We don't know any of them actually. Only the fact that he had his first son after he switched religions and they aren't taking after ninja dad.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Does anyone remember what the description of the gem Enkidel got from the giant toad monster was? The one he gave to Indor? I can't seem to find it. Was it one of the blue stones or something else?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Polgas posted:

We don't know any of them actually. Only the fact that he had his first son after he switched religions and they aren't taking after ninja dad.

Aren't they in the balls of labaras'? I wager they are more obviously blooded than paebal was at their ages (man, it's so convenient that bloodedness sometimes lies dormant in families for a bit!), so they probably don't have the same need to be stealthy. I wager paebel would feel happier if he could just punt bnaimokt into atmosphere if he could.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

A Terrible Person posted:

Does anyone remember what the description of the gem Enkidel got from the giant toad monster was? The one he gave to Indor? I can't seem to find it. Was it one of the blue stones or something else?

It was definitely a blue stone. I'm on a phone so I can't easily track it down but between the index and the archiver it should be easy to find.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

Definitely a blue stone. I think it was the biggest blue stone Enkidel has ever possessed. The one inside OC or the chait bow were very small compared to it. Indor probably stole most of the ??? and played dumb.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pretty sure the Bluestone we got from Toadiya was the first raw Bluestone we ever found, before we had any idea of how significant they actually were.

Of course, it didn't help that when we tried getting details from Ishamal, he went full on "Yep, that's a shiny rock. :effort:"

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Polgas posted:

Definitely a blue stone. I think it was the biggest blue stone Enkidel has ever possessed. The one inside OC or the chait bow were very small compared to it. Indor probably stole most of the ??? and played dumb.

We got ripped off by Indor to a hilarious extent.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
hot take: ??? is sentiment and to a lesser extent agency, how much care and attention is able to be given

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Olothreutes posted:

It was definitely a blue stone. I'm on a phone so I can't easily track it down but between the index and the archiver it should be easy to find.

Polgas posted:

Thanks!

I'm beginning to think that the blue stuff we've been seeing when people die aren't actually 100% "souls" but rather the stuff that makes a big soul stone. Kinda like the El battery theory, except that Labaras used a huge blue stone from a god to turn himself and eventually his descendants into Mighty Men after using lesser stones to make a super weapon.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 21, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Voting to have eaten the pieces of white stone that chipped off the door

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

super sweet best pal posted:

Voting to have eaten the pieces of white stone that chipped off the door

They vanished in flashes of colorful light when knocked off the door, there are no splinters to play with

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Voting to reopen the door and eat it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

malbogio posted:

I feel bad for the Orm too but I think El's position might be necessary.

Consider how Azazel bartered for our dog because he smelled "sentiment" on it, Paebel has become supernaturally stealthy, our friends and family have stopped aging, and the general Prosperity Aura covering all of Kavodel.

Our friends are becoming how we think of them. A feedback loop of sorts.

We think Snarls is the goodest boy. Moreso than anything we think of anyone else. That might be why no ones ever tried to hurt him since ibleam. Every time they get near him they just realise the one true truth and noone can hurt something they know in their bones is a good boy.

Let's mail him to Fare as a spy.

urf
Jul 12, 2009
C and don't close doors behind us

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

C wins. The next update should be routine and boring and I have no idea why I would note that, why are you looking at me like that?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Diogines posted:

C wins. The next update should be routine and boring and I have no idea why I would note that, why are you looking at me like that?

IT's actually to your great credit, that even routine updates are very rarely boring.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Well I'm sure this one will be totally unremarkable.

We will do our best to get it up tonight, but no promises.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Diogines posted:

Ah, more super boring and very routine visits by the melachim censorship bureau. Yawn. I'm gonna nap with Uriah.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Olothreutes posted:

I'm gonna nap with Uriah.

That's a smiting

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Let the melachim police come, or the lovely temple preist.

Temple of El can go screw for telling us to shut up.

Jael is cool, I can trust him to talk striaght as best he can.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You stumble upon two melachim on the road to the grasslands. One melachim wants to tell the truth but can't, the other melachim can tell the truth but doesn't want to. Which melachim's demands do you immediately capitulate to?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Revised ETA: Not tonight. Tomorrow is looking good, if not on Saturday.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It'll be boring for Jael, who can't actually see what's happening with Enkidel in the Presence Dampening Field.

For us, though, oh boy.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
We climb towards the ordinary looking third floor, but suddenly go through the same goop that was in the Orm’s pit. We suddenly find ourselves in a tower decorated with bright colors and flooding with activity.

A dozen Melachim stop mid flight and try to hide very clumsily. A very tired Jael appears behind us.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I say we gather up a bunch of forbidden knowledge and use it to cause a schism where we found our own Church of El. We're easily a third of the way there.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

super sweet best pal posted:

I say we gather up a bunch of forbidden knowledge and use it to cause a schism where we found our own Church of El. We're easily a third of the way there.

I think you’re vastly underestimating the House of El. Their prime temple could fit most if not all of Kavodel or Zepath inside of it. And all the forbidden knowledge we could possibly muster is know by Them as are we. They Know in the explicitly capitalized sense of the word and we are just fumbling around in the world that They have curated for at least centuries if not millennia.

All this knee jerk rebellion is expected by Them and we were given a mentor for exactly this we just keep pushing. And They expect us to and probably the majority want us to. But it doesn’t mean we, Enkidel, isn’t loving up in a lot of ways that we can’t even fathom.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Voting to yank Conedoor free and turn it into one of those things at the mall what make quarters roll down the tube portion but it takes way longer than you expected. Use the funds to build a Dog Mansion for Snarls.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

iirc The Temple in Baitel was literally bigger than Zepath- carved out of a single piece of stone and had its own weather

And had a ’monumental’ presence somewhere in the basement

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Fukn Baitelians, hogging all the weather to themselves while Zepath scrapes by with half a cloudbank to share with Dor. Enough I say! Things gotta change.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

There seems to be a trend at least in Ur to have past decisions being made based on actual reasons other than tradition. So why is having two temples per city so bad and how does having two temples affect things in terms of divine stuff.

We know that there are loopholes to the rule such as at Effrat but that could just mean Amos actually has control over whatever divine things the Effrat temple there but since he follows the party line the melachim just shrug.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Current Mood: jonesing for more updates about this door.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
My lust for the death of magically spawned small burrowing mammals will go unsaited.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Archaeologist just started digging up the capital of an unknown kingdom at the edge of ancient Mesopotamia, near the mountains.

https://news.cnrs.fr/articles/a-historical-treasure-bordering-ancient-mesopotamia

They had best be careful about digging too deep...

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Now if they find a mural of a giant king holding a bow and drawing an arrow from his own butt...

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Diogines posted:

Archaeologist just started digging up the capital of an unknown kingdom at the edge of ancient Mesopotamia, near the mountains.

https://news.cnrs.fr/articles/a-historical-treasure-bordering-ancient-mesopotamia

They had best be careful about digging too deep...

So, thinking about this, would it be better for us to encounter a hunger demon or a Balrog down there, deep within the Earth?

Pros of the Balrog: It can be killed and is not literally invincible. It's larger. Quantum-wing-state means that there is a small chance we might see it try to fly, have wings, then the wings disappear and it falls to its death! Appears to mostly like just chilling instead of rampant murder, so probably stationary target that is cool if we just shove a rock over it, even if it could easily break out.

Cons of the Balrog: It represents the baleful influence of an evil intelligence growing in our world, potentially meaning an actively malevolent semi-divine being wants to kill us or make us his slaves. May come with legions of goblins that would pose a far more mobile threat. It took an angel of capital G God sacrificing its life to kill one, since we do not have access to Glorfindels (note: if anyone in the thread has a Glorfindel most of the issues involving a Balrog disappear and it becomes clear #1 option).

Pros of the Hunger demon: Will not upset the religious status quo by only reinforcing that if there is a divine being, it does not care about us (Per Amok). Relatively small, compared to a balrog. Appears to be very easy to seal using modern materials if pre-modern stone is strong enough to lock them away for a long time. If we can socialize it, it's unending hunger could probably be used to clear out landfills and nuclear waste (note: if this just results in a heavily irradiated hunger demon then it may be a net loss. I'm assuming once it eats the waste the waste just kinda poofs out of existence). Does not play well with others, so probably won't bring friends. Can be restrained by tall, bearded, not-quite-jewish people, which while a finite resource are not exactly hyper-rare, I wager.

Cons of the Hunger demon: Has ONLY negative chill, is not comfortable just hanging out in a dusty crypt or mine filled with corpses like Balrog. Would like to leave crypt, eat everything and will actively attempt to do so 24/7/365 (probably. Maybe once the lights go out they get sleepy?). Weird philosophers will probably drone on and on about how it represents a bunch of concepts that it has nothing to do with. Can probably permanently eat souls, so if there is an afterlife it pretty much says "no there is not for you", which is a bummer. It's small enough that somebody out there will probably try to have sex with it. Appears to actually be completely immune to damage of any sort. Probably does not wash hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hunger demons are pretty dumb, throw a blanket over its head and it'll go to sleep like a parrot.