Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's an extremely mediocre entry saved by a god tier ending.

That ending is so good that it makes the episode great overall imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I would like to add that I was disappointed at the lack of 2D animated shorts. I counted three, which includes Zima Blue which is stretching it.

EDIT - Actually four. I forgot that god awful Hitler episode.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 20, 2019

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I just kinda loved all of them for the different animation styles they went for. Even if the script was bad the episodes were really cool to look at.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Theranos documentary is on HBO Go now. It’s pretty well made.

It starts with a couple good summary anecdotes:

Thomas Edison announced that he invented the lightbulb, but didn’t have it working reliably. He stalled with journalists for four years until he figured out how to make a filament that didn’t burn out

When Elizabeth Holmes was a kid, she invented a time machine. She drew a big giant schematic of how it would work. This is followed by photos of her patent application for a blood testing and automatic antibiotic administrating machine, which her science counselor at Stanford told her was physically impossible.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The mix of styles in LD&R was super fun. And some of the effects were just insanely good.

It's evident that a lot of talent and effort went into making these shorts visual spectacles. But in the end the elaborate aesthetics just highlight the across the board frankly terrible writing (alright — there are are couple of exceptions).

Nearly all of the shorts suffer heavily from being boys' club productions. Someone said a few posts ago that LD&R was overly heteronormative — that's for loving sure. The gender roles are stale as gently caress, and the (narratively-speaking pointless) sexualisation of and eroticized violence against women is kicked into overdrive. It's trite and it's boring.

Nothing new under the sun, etc. But it does disappoint a bit extra this time, because I read into the trailer and hype a punkish attitude. But there's nothing new or challenging in LD&R. Watch it if you're into animation (or game cutscenes — why the gently caress do people like Suits so much?).

The exceptions:
Helping Hand
Fish Night
Zima Blue

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Double Toasted just did a fantastic review of the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtEcoVuj0Iw

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

punk rebel ecks posted:

Double Toasted just did a fantastic review of the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtEcoVuj0Iw

Aw man I love these dudes.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Anyone check out Containment on Netflix?

I’m halfway through and can’t tell if I like it or not.

Storyline and characters all over the place.

Not sure what to think?!?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

A dog and his man posted:

Anyone check out Containment on Netflix?

I’m halfway through and can’t tell if I like it or not.

Storyline and characters all over the place.

Not sure what to think?!?

I remember thinking it was silly that no one could get out, but I've completely forgotten the specifics. Other than that, I just remember the characters not grabbing me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The preview for Sonnie's Edge really grabbed me -- I liked the aesthetic, the music -- but the writing is so loving bad I tapped out without even finishing the whole 17-minute episode. Just atrocious.

I hadn't realized at first it was an anthology series, but if that's what they lead with I don't think I'm interested.

wot a tweeeeest!

Peter F. Hamilton is not a great writer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Aw man I love these dudes.

They’re the best!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

They’re the best!

You'd think they'd have more YouTube subscribers.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well they've got +1 now, first I've seen of them and I dug it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fallom posted:

wot a tweeeeest!

Peter F. Hamilton is not a great writer.

Sonnie’s Edge is also the best thing he ever wrote.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think a lot of people who were fans of Spill maybe didn't follow what happened and sort of forgot. I stuck with Korey all the way though.

What Up Son is the best show they have. It was even more insane with Danielle though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The preview for Sonnie's Edge really grabbed me -- I liked the aesthetic, the music -- but the writing is so loving bad I tapped out without even finishing the whole 17-minute episode. Just atrocious.

I hadn't realized at first it was an anthology series, but if that's what they lead with I don't think I'm interested.

watch THREE ROBOTS

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SirSamVimes posted:

watch THREE ROBOTS

all right, i'll give it a shot.

it's not even like i'm above trash, there's just a level of bad dialogue that is physically painful to listen to, and that plus using sexual violence as shorthand for character development just ain't a good look

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Three Robots was kind of cute I guess, but I'm really glad it was only 10 or 15 minutes. Robots talking and behaving like modern American idiots doesn't really deserve much more than that.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Started the new season of Queer Eye and it still owns.
Hope the team doesn't get into any drama so they can put out a whole bunch more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, saw the monster bloodsport one, farmers vs aliens, the robot tourists and the murder witness one. So far the murder witness one is the only one that sticks out as exceptional and the others felt very mediocre story wise and directingwise.

They’re nice to look at tho.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 21, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve seen the first two seasons of True Blood several times and tapped out afterwards but I recently learned Christopher Meloni is in it in the fifth season so I’ve been powering through it

This might be the most embarrassing show I’ve ever watched, the whole “original testament vampire bible literally made my jaw drop lmao, does it just keep getting worse?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
If you don't like the kind of trash true blood is, better bail out. It's great, but it is trashy

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
True Blood was good trash for awhile, then it turned into garbage trash once they did the whole fairies and Bill being some kind of prophet thing.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I was a bit disappointed in the Theranos documentary. Certainly didn't learn anything that wasn't already in the WSJ's coverage or the ABC News podcast.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

True Blood was good trash for awhile, then it turned into garbage trash once they did the whole fairies and Bill being some kind of prophet thing.

Something something fae dodo

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
sometimes i'll just say "Sookie!" out loud in Bill's voice

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Thom and the Heads posted:

You mean "Sookeh!"

The gay vampire king was the best villain, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thom and the Heads posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY2o_VAMfKI

This is pretty much all the True Blood anybody needs to see.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even now, True Blood stands out as an impressively horny show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even now, True Blood stands out as an impressively horny show.

Yea, I respect how it took the whole vampire thing, zeroed in on the horny and just ran with it for like 5+ seasons.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

If you don't like the kind of trash true blood is, better bail out. It's great, but it is trashy

I didn’t mean to imply I didn’t like it, because it’s certainly entertaining, I guess I was wondering if it’s absurdity was just gonna keep ramping up and it seems like it will

Meloni seems kinda uninspired by the script, he’s such a good actor in Happy/Oz that it’s noticeable he’s phoning it in a little in true blood

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Frog Act posted:

I didn’t mean to imply I didn’t like it, because it’s certainly entertaining, I guess I was wondering if it’s absurdity was just gonna keep ramping up and it seems like it will

Meloni seems kinda uninspired by the script, he’s such a good actor in Happy/Oz that it’s noticeable he’s phoning it in a little in true blood

oh yeah that ramps up a lot, but if the couple first seasons didn't hook their fangs on you I'm not sure the later seasons will
I don't even recall what Meloni was doing on that show tbh

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FYI, I wanted Jessica to bite me. And I still do.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I've heard that Jessica Jones is good. But the image of the show just comes across as super tryhard.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4gcChNMp9c

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've heard that Jessica Jones is good. But the image of the show just comes across as super tryhard.

It's really not that good I think you're fine to skip it if it doesn't seem like your thing.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I’ve never really enjoyed Ricky Gervais from his standup to most of his shows but I’m really liking After Life so far.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
True Blood gets better the dumber it gets, the "Bill as vampire god incarnate" season was hilarious. The problem is the final season without Alan Ball, who was pretty much the only person making True Blood's dumpster fire of a premise / source material into something worthwhile.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, saw the monster bloodsport one, farmers vs aliens, the robot tourists and the murder witness one. So far the murder witness one is the only one that sticks out as exceptional and the others felt very mediocre story wise and directingwise.

They’re nice to look at tho.

Skipping past anything that doesn’t grab me in the first thirty seconds. So far that’s the robots on vacation, the cats one, and the farmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

The first season is ok mainly because it has a good villain. After that it goes downhill pretty fast though