Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

Nahh I've always heard that brits just don't generally dig peanut butter. At least compared to how much Americans love it. We put it on a ton of stuff.

Not really. I buttered the toast like I normally would and then put say maybe a little less than a teaspoon and spread it on the whole piece?

Like I said, it didn't suck or anything, I just didn't see the appeal to have more?

I just did a minute of research. Peanut butter is increasingly popular here and overtaking jam as the favourite spread, but it looks like consumption is 0.3kg per capita, compared to 1kg for the US, and 0.06kg per capita in France. So it is popular here, but not as much as in the US, as you rightly said. (We holiday in France often and supermarkets stock maybe 2 types of peanut butter, whereas in the UK there is a good range:organic vs normal, smooth, crunchy, non-palm-oil, high-end, budget, in-between, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Specifically on The Great British Bake Off, if someone tries to incorporate peanut butter into something the judges act like they're committing a crime against god which I don't understand. Probably mostly hyperbole for TV.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am British, and I hate peanut butter with every fibre of my being, and I am pretty sure that TheRattle is actually a Russian bot now

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Specifically on The Great British Bake Off, if someone tries to incorporate peanut butter into something the judges act like they're committing a crime against god which I don't understand. Probably mostly hyperbole for TV.
Nobody eats peanut butter like America. Not even close. I got strange looks and my family still talks about me being a 'weird kid' when I was a child in Australia for eating the bizarre sandwich of "peanut butter" and "jam."

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I am British, and I hate peanut butter with every fibre of my being, and I am pretty sure that TheRattle is actually a Russian bot now

Ha ha! Silly nonsense.

A no-deal Brexit will bring prosperity and power to the UK

Make America Great Again!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Croatoan posted:

There's the one with the lady doing a cake with peanut butter and grape jam and Paul's all, "Peanut butter and jam? I'm doubtful that combination could work."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

Ha ha! Silly nonsense.

A no-deal Brexit will bring prosperity and power to the UK

Make America Great Again!

:golfclap:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Did you know that vaccines cause autism?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Croatoan posted:

When I had more free time at work, I'd watch little 5 minute videos of Irish people eating or drinking stuff from in a specific category (think "polish alcohol," "Korean candy" "pringles flavors," etc) and it looked like you stabbed them in the guts every time something peanutbutter showed up. British Isle folks are weird.

Now pass the insulin, marshmallow fluff and peanutbutter - it's fluffernutter time, homes

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An update for yall about me, copying from the trans chat thread;

Got some good news and updates. I had my therapist appointment, wore my padded bra and brought one of my plush friends as confidence and support. And for something more concrete about dysphoria. I realize more I WANT breasts and the feel of something there is euphoric. (There's some other things too, but that was one I can work on for sure and be confident in myself.)

But anyways, she's going to sign off on the paperwork for me. A doctors note to say "yes she's trans, give her the girl pills." And in spite of the ick weekend, I'm feeling so much better after talking to her. And even more so with the huge progress I just made. In two weeks is my next doctor appointment at (the local LGBT clinic, whoever here is local to central OH probably knows of em, but I forget who it was), and I'm already so ready for it. :toot:

Also who was it again that's the local to me here now? I forget like I said, I know you're still around dude. <3

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Scientastic posted:

I used to love you, but now you come for me like this. :o

@calvera god drat right. Crush it, betch

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We were eating dinner tonight and my son said to me "You make good food, dad!". :3:

It was good, actually: it's based on this excellent recipe:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-ramen

I follow the recipe for the broth but then play with the veg ingredients depending on what's to hand (today, broccoli, and sweet potato diced into little cubes), and I use silken tofu without bothering to fry it, served with some form of GF noodle like buckwheat udon. It's a very good recipe, and pretty quick and easy for a mid-week dinner. Plus he loves it.

Cooking for people you love who appreciate and enjoy it is one of the best things in life.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

therattle posted:

Cooking for people you love who appreciate and enjoy it is one of the best things in life.

Preach!

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Manuel Calavera posted:

In two weeks is my next doctor appointment at (the local LGBT clinic, whoever here is local to central OH probably knows of em, but I forget who it was), and I'm already so ready for it. :toot:

Also who was it again that's the local to me here now? I forget like I said, I know you're still around dude. <3

I don’t work in the restaurant industry and I’m in NE Ohio, but I’m glad to hear such a clinic exists. I’m happy to live in a blue county that’s close to Kent and Cleveland.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ParserGirl posted:

I don’t work in the restaurant industry and I’m in NE Ohio, but I’m glad to hear such a clinic exists. I’m happy to live in a blue county that’s close to Kent and Cleveland.
isn't cuyahoga the only blue county in NEO anymore? Hello fellow NEO goon.

Someone kick some sense into me. I'm seriously contending with leaving my IT job due to a schedule change and going into baking.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Someone kick some sense into me. I'm seriously contending with leaving my IT job due to a schedule change and going into baking.

Did your schedule change to waking up at 2 am and being paid in stale baked goods?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Baking as a career is not the same as opening a cute cupcake store in a romcom. Baking as a career is like when you want to find out what it's like to be a meth addict without all that sweet, sweet meth as a reward in your system.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Did your schedule change to waking up at 2 am and being paid in stale baked goods?

Waking up at two on Saturdays. No baked goods at all :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Whalley posted:

Baking as a career is not the same as opening a cute cupcake store in a romcom. Baking as a career is like when you want to find out what it's like to be a meth addict without all that sweet, sweet meth as a reward in your system.
this seems like a positive?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Said without the meth, friendo

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Wiggles and other Vegas folks, a few bits of exciting news.

1. Carson Kitchen just released their Spring menu. There's some great stuff on it. I recommend BLT (bacon, leek, and truffled pecorino) flat bread, tahini roasted carrots, and the standout-best "pasta" putanesca (but the "pasta" is actually calamari cooked to perfectly replicate the texture of al dente noodles). The new dessert, peanut butter/banana cheese cake with strawberry creme de cacao glaze, is also great. But seriously, get the goddamn putanesca. It's perfect.

2. The date has been announced for this year's Vegas: Unstripped - May 11th. (Why do I have to link to the LA Times for Vegas food reporting? Because of the deplorable state of Vegas food writ[ing/ers].) For those unfamiliar, Unstripped was a response to the celebrity chef invasion for Vegas Uncorked, which sticks to the Strip and ignores that most of the best local chefs left that area years ago.

Last year's Unstripped was easily the best ticketed food event I've ever been to. One team built a charcoal grill out of cinder blocks and grilled whole sturgeons to make sturgeon tacos. Another did 18-hour brisket with all the sides. Everybody brought their A game, with extravagant ingredients and preparations. And of course local breweries were pouring for free. The free after-party at Jammyland didn't hurt, either. Well actually it did, the next morning. But everything was great from start to finish.

This year they've added a few more chefs. The most notable addition is Saipin Chutima, the owner/chef of Lotus of Siam, and I am excited as gently caress. The list of participating chefs is a nearly complete who's-who of the best Vegas off-Strip dining - which was always the goal of the event - plus the douchenozzle cooking for BBDs but let's ignore that because FUCKIN' SAIPIN CHUTIMA. Ticket sales start April 2nd, don't miss out.

3. I'm doing a cooking contest and y'all should come. CraftHaus Brewery in Henderson, Sunday, starting at 1pm. It's their third annual chili cookoff, and I'll be defending my title of Crowd Favorite, along with the special prize for Chili the Judges Will Most Regret Tomorrow. There will be at least twelve contestants, so there should be a chili out there for everyone.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Trumbull votes in some Democratic representatives.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

As someone who loved baking professionally, I implore you to reconsider.

Unless you are both very skilled and very lucky, you're talking about going into a field where the chances of advancement are made up, and time off is a joke you make to other people because there is noone else to take up the slack.

'Where do I see myself in 5 years' is the question to ask, and if you can come up with an answer for the bakery that involves anything but 'here, only with worse knees and less friends'...

That said, if you don't care about the consequences and have some external funding for things like retiring someday and paying for health insurance, you can absolutely learn a lot in a couple years.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Well I guess I'll have to see if my brother will fund a starving bread artist. Probably not.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: I think I’m gonna move this to E/N for now to be on the safe side.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 23, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kimchi in okonomiyaki or nah?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Kimchi in everything? Yah.

Fixed this for you.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Got a package of salt pork, used 3 slices for a recipe... what do I do with the rest?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Kimchi in okonomiyaki or nah?

Why wouldn’t you?

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

cereal eater posted:

Got a package of salt pork, used 3 slices for a recipe... what do I do with the rest?

Can see a whole lot of beans in your future. Goes pretty good as a saute base for different greens. Pretty much anything you would be ok with a bit of porkyness just use it as the fat in the dish.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

cereal eater posted:

Collard greens.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

cereal eater posted:

Clam chowder's a classic use. You could probably do a pea soup using that instead of the traditional ham hocks.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

cereal eater posted:

Another recommendation for greens. I prefer a big bag of kale, add in 3 or 4 minced garlic cloves, a cup of cider vinegar with your salt pork and one rough chopped onion in an instant pot with water filled to max. Let it go for about 3 hours and you'll have the best pot likker you've ever had. The greens are good too but I mostly go for the pot likker.

Mega pro-tip: serve with a bottle of Texas Pete Green Pepper Sauce at the table

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CraftHaus chili cook-off trip report: I made a dish composed primarily of beef shank, pork shoulder, and chiles (habanero and guajillo). It was garnished with a jicama/mango slaw dressed with habanero paste, and some quick-pickled shallots with Sichuan peppercorns and cumin. It was spicier and meatier than anything else there, and absolutely delicious. The judges awarded me the prize for Best Dish That Wasn't Chili.

It is my belief that the judges are part of a vast pro-beans conspiracy. This shall not stand!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I loving hate food and drink competitions, honestly.

They either list rules and then don't do anything to people who don't follow the rules, or don't list rules and arbitrarily do poo poo like that. The judges are always either random idiots or local industry people who arent impartial.

My work just entered a cocktail competition that said it had to be all locally sourced ingredients (we have like 5 or 6 local distilleries), made our own bitters and poo poo and then the winner was a drink that had an amaro from Italy in it.

I entered another cocktail contest one time that said it was supposed to showcase the "chemistry" of cocktails and we were one of the only teams who made any of our ingredients at all, the winner at that one was some stupid layered beverage because density.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Croatoan posted:

Another recommendation for greens. I prefer a big bag of kale, add in 3 or 4 minced garlic cloves, a cup of cider vinegar with your salt pork and one rough chopped onion in an instant pot with water filled to max. Let it go for about 3 hours and you'll have the best pot likker you've ever had. The greens are good too but I mostly go for the pot likker.

Mega pro-tip: serve with a bottle of Texas Pete Green Pepper Sauce at the table

same, but I use a Dutch oven, a glug of molasses and a couple chiles in the pot, whole dried or diced & fresh

also I use garlic confit if I have it, and I have no compunctions about mixing greens

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartolimu posted:

CraftHaus chili cook-off trip report: I made a dish composed primarily of beef shank, pork shoulder, and chiles (habanero and guajillo). It was garnished with a jicama/mango slaw dressed with habanero paste, and some quick-pickled shallots with Sichuan peppercorns and cumin. It was spicier and meatier than anything else there, and absolutely delicious. The judges awarded me the prize for Best Dish That Wasn't Chili.

It is my belief that the judges are part of a vast pro-beans conspiracy. This shall not stand!

I had a dinner party, so couldn't go. However, your entry sounds awesome, and had I been there I would have seriously considered committing battery against the judges in your honor.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

bartolimu posted:

I hate slash love chili purity arguments but goddammit that flavor profile sounds delicious regardless of definitions.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Lentils are magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So I've watched every single Chef John from Food Wishes video on youtube, and I watched all of Good Eats back in the day. I've tried like 30 recipes from Chef John and 25 were great, 3 were good after some retooling, and only two were unsalvagable. Good Eats is what got me into cooking.

What should I watch next that'll be entertaining and also show me how to make good food? The hosts don't need to be as entertaining as Chef John or as educational as Alton Brown, I just want to watch someone tolerable that I can take food ideas from.

Totally Reasonable posted:

Lentils are magic.

Agreed.