Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Cobalt60 posted:

haha there's really no "click this button if I swear it's just a sack?"

I'm not usually very OCD but buckling the passenger seatbelt is a non-starter for me.

I'll just keep going with my horrible suggestions

Its not often you see a functional product that has "do not use" written on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Are those carbon fiber? Cut out your belts for even more weight savings!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The obvious winner in road safety:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

How dumb is it to buy a blacked out and likely abused 328 for cheep? On the bright side (?) it only has ~80k and recently had VANOS, coils, ground strap, steering shaft & recalls done.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Pretty stupid but I'd do it if it was cheap enough. e46?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

E92 LCI. I think I can get them to 10k

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Fuckin' handsome. Best color.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

How dumb is it to buy a blacked out and likely abused 328 for cheep? On the bright side (?) it only has ~80k and recently had VANOS, coils, ground strap, steering shaft & recalls done.

extremely meh

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

extremely meh
Yeah thats kind of where I'm at. Based on the plasti-dipped wheels, window & taillight tint, and "thin red line" sticker, I just know this thing has been driven to death over the last owner's two years with it. But I am so fuckin sick of browsing Craigslist, Autotrader, etc looking for an e92 in stick that hasn't been abused that I'm so close to doing it anyway.

I assume a PPI isn’t going to tell me enough to make up for that. I know the water pump is gonna fail in the next 20k. On the bright side seems like the PO did fit non runflat tires to it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 21, 2019

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I never did the window tint because Vermont was cold, but I did plasti dip my wheels black because salt and dirt made the finish a bit meh. Eventually when the wheels went egg shaped I just bought Apex ones in black.

Tail light tint is just dumb, based on how often I almost get rear ended with normal lights.

Maybe look at it and see how the clutch feels?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I gotta be honest: what is the appeal of a blah e90 over an older bmw? They're not any sportier, more fuel efficient or refined than an e46

Open diff BMWs are so loving boring

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 21, 2019

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

if im getting the OK from my future Boss for this autumn, ill be buying Facelift E46 too, with the 2L Common Rail M47D20TU. Its the must buy in germany right now with everyone poo poo scared about "old" diesels. already got an offer for a good one, 40.000 Miles for 3500 €.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 21, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BraveUlysses posted:

I gotta be honest: what is the appeal of a blah e90 over an older bmw? They're not any sportier, more fuel efficient or refined than an e46

How old is the newest e46 now?

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois
I am still throwing a check engine for the secondary air, low flow both banks. Replaced the vacuum line that wraps around to the valve, replaced the valve, replaced line between valve and pump, replaced pump. Dumped seafoam in there at one point and a bunch of white smoke came out for 10 minutes. This happened right after i replaced the vacuum line. Put another 1 oz a month later and no more smoke. So something is obviously not working again. Pump is for sure turning on.

It lasted long enough to get smogged and registered for 2 years, but literally the light came back on after I put the new tags on.

Also, I have a strong feeling the subframe is damage, because of that loud thunking sound going in reverse or downshifting.

1999 323i. Got it for $1250 and its throwing an airbag code also. Replaced headlights and taillights. New sound system. Front driver window missing a bolt attaching the window to the rail (?). Cant seem to find it on amazon, ordered the wrong bolts. Still rolls up fine, but I can tell the motor gets stressed.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Residency Evil posted:

12 years give or take.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

The last E46s were in 2006 with the coupes and M3s. The last sedans were 2005.

So at the very newest, about 13 years.

I'd still take a well kept E46 over some thrashed E90, though. Despite being older I think the E46 was a better car overall. V8 M3 aside.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 21, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alarbus posted:

I never did the window tint because Vermont was cold, but I did plasti dip my wheels black because salt and dirt made the finish a bit meh. Eventually when the wheels went egg shaped I just bought Apex ones in black.

Tail light tint is just dumb, based on how often I almost get rear ended with normal lights.

Maybe look at it and see how the clutch feels?
It's about 3 hours away from me lol. But...if one of you guys is near Albany and wants to make a quick buck (like a hundred of em,) PM me.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Gotcha. I'm outside of Philly now, so I'm not going to be a lot of help.

I do have some oem rims for the E90 I should sell off though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

Seriously.
1 wheel spinning? Not a burnout

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Duccy posted:

I am still throwing a check engine for the secondary air, low flow both banks. Replaced the vacuum line that wraps around to the valve, replaced the valve, replaced line between valve and pump, replaced pump. Dumped seafoam in there at one point and a bunch of white smoke came out for 10 minutes. This happened right after i replaced the vacuum line. Put another 1 oz a month later and no more smoke. So something is obviously not working again. Pump is for sure turning on.

I had 2nd air pump woes for a while and after two new pumps a shop found out a ground wire for the pump that went back around the firewall or something was "all rotted out" and everything was fine after they replaced it. Just something to think about.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Is $10k even a good price? Granted I haven’t been looking at e92s much and that mileage seems okay, but I’ve seen reasonably okay looking F30 328s for under $13k so $10k for an e92 328 that’s been beat on seems pretty questionable to me. I would think you could actually get a fairly nice one for that much.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Is $10k even a good price? Granted I haven’t been looking at e92s much and that mileage seems okay, but I’ve seen reasonably okay looking F30 328s for under $13k so $10k for an e92 328 that’s been beat on seems pretty questionable to me. I would think you could actually get a fairly nice one for that much.
At that mileage, for an LCI xDrive, yeah. A couple weeks ago I saw a dealer offering a ~68k mile pre-LCI 328i xDrive for $12k. I told the dealer I wanted to pay $11,200 walk-away for it and ended up walking away. It sold the next day. I have regrets.

Sure the ones with ~100,000 miles sell for $7-8k, but 328xi/328i xDrives substantially below that are going for $8-13k, on the higher end for a stick and/or LCI (which is odd to me as the pre-LCI looks better IMO, and they kept using the pre-LCI design for the M3 coupe through 2014.)

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

The obvious winner in road safety:

Yeah, right. A Coke bottle.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/doylestown-2015-bmw-328i-xrdrive-sport/6832284261.html

Is this a fair price? It's been in a "minor damage" accident.

edit: he sent me a pick of rear bumper cover, which looks like it's been in an accident/cracked.

Edit: Guy says this is $500 to fix, and can sell it for $21k.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 23, 2019

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/doylestown-2015-bmw-328i-xrdrive-sport/6832284261.html

edit: he sent me a pick of rear bumper cover, which looks like it's been in an accident/cracked.

I don't know wagon pricing as well as sedans, but if you're not set on a wagon and x-drive, you can probably cut that price nearly in half. And I don't see any reason to buy one that has damage like that.

e: Wow, wagons do look pricier than sedans on first look, and there aren't many. Locally to me, I found this with a salvage title, but that's about it: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/fresno-2014-bmw-328xi-wagon/6821604449.html

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 23, 2019

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
That's almost 335 pricing. Without damage.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Here's an M-Sport, same year, same area, for $15k: https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/garnet-valley-2014-bmw-328i-msport/6825637379.html

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dadliest Worrier posted:

I don't know wagon pricing as well as sedans, but if you're not set on a wagon and x-drive, you can probably cut that price nearly in half. And I don't see any reason to buy one that has damage like that.

Alarbus posted:

That's almost 335 pricing. Without damage.

The wagon isn't an absolute requirement, and x-drive I don't care about. I'm just looking for something that I can drive to work every now and then when the train takes a dump.

edit: Like this that I drove a few weeks back and keeps on calling my name: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1579552. Wonder if he'd take 18k...

Reconstructed title though.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Good point. Here's a 2013 with a clean title for less: https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/wycombe-2013-bmw-328i-xdrive/6843417587.html

One thing to check on with 2013s is which version of iDrive the car has. If you play music through your phone, you want NBT, not CIC. Some or all 2013s (including mine) came with CIC. http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge-base/which-version-is-you-idrive-ccc-cic-or-nbt/

Seems like most of them come with xDrive out there, which is maybe pushing prices a little higher. Might be worth it to hunt for one without to save some cash.

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 23, 2019

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

How badly do you want the M-Sport package? Because M-Sport owners all want an incredible premium for their cars and you're paying between $4-8k more pretty much just for that. Here's a well optioned wagon with less miles for $17k at a dealership, for example:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=510715309

If you don't care about having a wagon or x-drive then you've definitely got options for days and I wouldn't pay over maybe $18k for an automatic 328i and only for a really, really good example. I've seen really nice, lower mileage ones for as low as $14k. I definitely wouldn't pay over $20k for one with nearly 100k miles on it.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 23, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Paradoxish posted:

How badly do you want the M-Sport package? Because M-Sport owners all want an incredible premium for their cars and you're paying between $4-8k more pretty much just for that. Here's a well optioned wagon with less miles for $17k at a dealership, for example:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=510715309

If you don't care about having a wagon or x-drive then you've definitely got options for days and I wouldn't pay over maybe $18k for an automatic 328i and only for a really, really good example. I've seen really nice, lower mileage ones for as low as $14k. I definitely wouldn't pay over $20k for one with nearly 100k miles on it.

I have zero need for the M-sport package in a wagon.

drat, that wagon for $17k looks great, and happens to be close to my brother and sister in law, thank you. I may actually check that out next weekend, unless there's something else/better (blue with brown interior).

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 23, 2019

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Paradoxish posted:

Seeing American car prices makes me weep.

I paid $29k for my 2011 328i in 2016 and $8500 cash for my 2008 X3 in 2017, and both were good deals up here!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

To be fair, I think F30 prices have come down quite a bit in the last year or two. They're mostly all priced very reasonably, unless it's an M-Sport and/or manual transmission, in which case the owner would probably prefer to just be buried with their car rather than drop the price by $500.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 23, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah, that red wagon is speaking to me. Have a call in and may be going to see it next week.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It's criminal they haven't put 6 cylinder engines in the newer wagons.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

do those come with a 6 speed or no

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

do those come with a 6 speed or no

Not the F31s, but the last gen E90s do:

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=5675&form_display=51

Only 39k.

Paradoxish posted:

the owner would probably prefer to just be buried with their car rather than drop the price by $500.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

True story: a week ago I called a guy about a 2013 335i 6MT. Silver/black, really poorly optioned. This car has been on CL for as long as I've been looking for these things, so more than half a year at this point. The guy wants about $4k more than any other equivalent nearby car, and the mileage is pretty high too. I've been ignoring it because other than the transmission it has nothing I want, but I'm getting desperate. He literally hung up on me when I asked him if he had any flexibility in his price.

That guy is going to die with that car.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Man I am normally against E90s (just looking at E92s) but as a wagon, and with that color and everything...drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Man I am normally against E90s (just looking at E92s) but as a wagon, and with that color and everything...drat.

That thing has been there for a year at least. Turns out there aren't very many people willing to pay 40k for an 8 year old 3 series wagon.