Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

What's the thread title all about?

It's a reference to the WWE 2Kwhatever Create-a-Storyline "Regal, Stretched" that opened with, IIRC, Vladimir Kozlov saying "WRESTLEMANIA IS CANCELED. NO REFUNDS." It was a joke in PSP for a while, and I figured that this was as good a time as ever to reference it, what with Doctor Who not being on the air until 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, nice. Thank you.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1107999341690736641

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://twitter.com/Robritchie409/status/1107635311805427712

The animation on this recon is way better than previous efforts, I can't wait!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

https://twitter.com/Robritchie409/status/1107635311805427712

The animation on this recon is way better than previous efforts, I can't wait!

There’s shades of Archer about it, but it looks really good!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean it's not Ghibli but compared to previous efforts from that team in the same style, it's gone from "glorified motion comic" to "actual animation that informs and is informed by the performances". Which, for a Troughton story about conspiracies, is pretty loving important to get right!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What conspiracy? There are no Macra!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One day we will have every Doctor Who story released in visual form and I will own them all :shobon:

Then they will announce giant season boxset collections in UHD....

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe with AI upscaling...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

One day we will have every Doctor Who story released in visual form and I will own them all :shobon:

Then they will announce giant season boxset collections in UHD....
Except for Big Finish stories, right? Because... wow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Except for Big Finish stories, right? Because... wow.

Animate Scherzo Nick Briggs you coward.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We probably won't live until the time at which computers can just recreate actors doing their thing, so we will be forced, forever, to imagine in our minds how Patrick Troughton would have delivered the "Take me!" monologue from The Rings of Ahkahten.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I often think of that scene where Matt Smith is "captive" at Area 51 or whatever and they're putting together the cell of Dwarf Star metal or whatever it was, and he's freaking out about it till he laughs that it won't be enough to keep him in. Then I think about how Patrick Troughton would have done the same thing and it makes me happy to remember that Wendy Padbury channeled Troughton's soul into the empty vessel that Moffat and a committee of old men had built to hold it :)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jerusalem posted:

Animate Scherzo Nick Briggs you coward.

animated natural history of fear

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Guardian posted:

Charles Norton, Nick Briggs and the entire Drama Department of the BBC were arrested today after announcing the first Big Finish animated Blu-Ray release was coming soon.

Norton claimed that a flurry of social media requests to animate Big Finish audio stories had piqued he and the BBC's interest, and so they'd looked for the cheapest audio to buy the rights to and gotten the enthusiastic go-ahead from it's author. All copies of Nekromanteia have now been destroyed, at the personal order of Queen Elizabeth II.

The Guardian Related stories posted:

- Anti-Monarchy sentiments at record low
- Theresa May accidentally screens copy of Nekromanteia during EU Negotiations.
- Europe declares war on Great Britain
- Robert Mugabe opens long rumored tape vault to dispel rumors he has copy of Nekromanteia
- Ian Levine is a twat

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 20, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I legit thought Robert Mugabe had died :doh:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I legit thought Robert Mugabe had died :doh:

That's over in the Berenstein Universe.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Jerusalem posted:

I often think of that scene where Matt Smith is "captive" at Area 51 or whatever and they're putting together the cell of Dwarf Star metal or whatever it was, and he's freaking out about it till he laughs that it won't be enough to keep him in. Then I think about how Patrick Troughton would have done the same thing and it makes me happy to remember that Wendy Padbury channeled Troughton's soul into the empty vessel that Moffat and a committee of old men had built to hold it :)

It's a shame they couldn't capitalise on 'the silence'. When they went through the scenes of Amy marking herself with the texta to record she'd seen them, I thought that was some really creepy, inspired stuff. I hadn't been so scared of a Dr Who story since "Planet of the Spiders", where 3yo me would squash my back against the toilet seat because I couldn't be sure there wasn't a massive spider there...

Better include Talons of Weng-Chiang and that damned marionette in that list...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The silence were a really good monster in a really bad story that then turned out to be a really bad organization in a godawful story

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still love the way they resolved the Silence threat in their first story, but they did suffer the same diminishing returns as the Weeping Angels where each story that included them afterwards diluted their threat/quality a bit more.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

"Wow, what a clever, entertaining and well written story, I can't wait to find out the solution to this Moffat mystery" Me, in another life that seems impossibly long ago now.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Actually that's a little harsh, Moffat's first and last series were really good. But gently caress I got sick of everything to do with that silence storyline.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hard to fault the ambition of it, but series 6 didn't half crash and burn in the back half. I wasn't fond of the first half of series 7 either

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Did we ever find out why the question that must not be answered is "Doctor Who?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Time Lords got zapped into another universe and were trying to come back into this one, but they wanted to be sure it was safe first so they broadcast the question "Doctor Who?" through their prospective entry point. The idea was that the Doctor was probably the only person who'd be inclined to help them, and a Time Lord's true name is secret enough that it could function as a code word- if they heard the Doctor's true name in response to their question then they would know the path was clear.

Unfortunately, the path wasn't clear, because they broadcast their question all through the universe, backwards and forwards in time, so all their enemies knew where they were. The Time Lords coming through into the universe would mean the Time War beginning again. The Church Of The Papal Mainframe was scared that the Doctor would let the Time Lords through anwyay, so they tried to shut him up in the only way that's guaranteed to work: by killing him

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think I like Time of the Doctor better than most of the thread but it still tickles me that the ending is more or less exactly the same as the ending of The Curse of Fatal Death.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

2house2fly posted:

The Time Lords got zapped into another universe and were trying to come back into this one, but they wanted to be sure it was safe first so they broadcast the question "Doctor Who?" through their prospective entry point. The idea was that the Doctor was probably the only person who'd be inclined to help them, and a Time Lord's true name is secret enough that it could function as a code word- if they heard the Doctor's true name in response to their question then they would know the path was clear.

Unfortunately, the path wasn't clear, because they broadcast their question all through the universe, backwards and forwards in time, so all their enemies knew where they were. The Time Lords coming through into the universe would mean the Time War beginning again. The Church Of The Papal Mainframe was scared that the Doctor would let the Time Lords through anwyay, so they tried to shut him up in the only way that's guaranteed to work: by killing him

Thanks, I vaguely remember now. I never really rewatch New Who (other than the Eleventh Hour and Blink a couple of times) so all I can remember when I think back to Matt's last episode is his old man makeup and the regeneration.

On the other hand, I can rewatch classic Who almost endlessly, and tragically will therefore have watched utter jank like Attack of the Cybermen many, many more times than Time of the Doctor.

sinepost fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 21, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lucie miller's story is better than every moffat storyline and you know it's true

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's easy to forget the details of Time Of The Doctor because for all the lore in it the two main scenes are the pet cyberman dying and Clara's family arguing about Christmas crackers :v:

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

Yes, so easy that I accidentally called it Night of the Doctor in my reply

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF made an announcement regarding overseas download pricing:

https://www.bigfinish.com/pages/v/important-information-for-our-customers-overseas

Big Finish posted:

Important Information For Our Customers Overseas
March 2019

When Big Finish began offering digital download purchases over ten years ago, we implemented a pricing policy for our overseas customers at a 1:1 conversion rate. For example, if a UK customer paid £12.99 for a download, a US customer would pay $12.99 for that download. (Physical CDs remained priced with currency conversion rates applied.)

At the time, download sales were a very small part of our business, and the high value of the UK pound in currency exchange rates made it difficult for many overseas customers to afford our products.

However, in the intervening years the trend for downloading has dramatically increased. At the same time, the UK’s currency has fallen significantly in value and continues to face an uncertain future. We have also become aware of an increasing minority of UK Big Finish customer accounts using false overseas details to purchase downloads.

The issue of pricing products for different markets throughout the world is a difficult and sensitive one, because of the variations in currency values and the assumptions and expectations in local, national markets. Different consumers in different parts of the world have different expectations about different kinds of products across the board. Put simply, what seems cheap, just right or too expensive in one country might not seem so in another, because of a number of complex factors, not least tradition.

Therefore, we have decided that a change in policy is necessary because of the significant change in currency exchange rates and also because some customers have expressed to us that the 1:1 conversion rate is unfair.

From April 1st 2019, all international pricing for digital downloads will be updated daily in line with UK currency pricing applied at the relevant conversion rate as shown on the exchange website XE.com. Third party payment website rates may show a small variation to our guide price.

All orders placed before April 1st 2019 will be honoured under the current pricing scheme.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

gently caress. I really liked that loophole. It's true I haven't brought any BigFinish in awhile because I got so busy last year I didn't have time to listen to the backlog, but this will probably decrease the rate of my purchases from them in the future. What they're doing isn't unfair, if anything I've been the one exploiting them, but it's still a pity.

2house2fly posted:

so they tried to shut him up in the only way that's guaranteed to work: by killing him

I love that this is actually the guaranteed way to make him show up and completely gently caress you over/tear your entire empire down around your ears and end up doing what you were scared he would do in the first place.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

docbeard posted:

I think I like Time of the Doctor better than most of the thread but it still tickles me that the ending is more or less exactly the same as the ending of The Curse of Fatal Death.

My theory is that Moffat thought Curse of Fatal Death was going to be the only time he'd ever get to write a TV episode of Doctor Who and so he used up lots of his ideas all in one go.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He kept aside his "perfect season" idea for the most part as a just-in-case, and then used it all up in Season 5 (and the world is better for it, God that was a great season).

Even then, he found out he was actually a couple episodes short for the full season 5 though, so he had Chibnall fill in the gaps for him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's also Continuity Errors, about the time the Seventh Doctor visits a giant library and rewrites someone's past to improve things.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Welp. Switching to straight currency conversion is going to make things cost 1.75x what they currently have been for me. A set I'dve bought in the past for $20, using today's exchange rate for example, will cost $36.96AUD going forward.

I understand why they're doing this, but that kind of increase is going to scale back what I would buy considerably if I wasn't already iffy towards them over the James Dreyfus stuff.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That story also features the line "what do monsters have nightmares about?" "me" which was later used in Girl In The Fireplace and originally used by Paul Cornell somewhere

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

That story also features the line "what do monsters have nightmares about?" "me" which was later used in Girl In The Fireplace and originally used by Paul Cornell somewhere

I just imagined that line being delivered by Jon Pertwee with outraged seriousness, but then the same line being delivered with a :haw: by Tom Baker, and I can't say which I'd love more :)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Welp. Switching to straight currency conversion is going to make things cost 1.75x what they currently have been for me. A set I'dve bought in the past for $20, using today's exchange rate for example, will cost $36.96AUD going forward.

I understand why they're doing this, but that kind of increase is going to scale back what I would buy considerably if I wasn't already iffy towards them over the James Dreyfus stuff.

1.31x in the US. I always thought $12.99 or $20 was fair; when that goes to $17 or $26 it's a bit much. $40 for a season of Jago and Litefoot? Really?

It's not like the exchange rate means suddenly you are making more or less salary, so why should I suddenly have to pay more? A guy in the UK who made £50k a year 5 years ago and was paying £12.99 for an audio is paying the same portion of their salary now as they were then. If I made $50k a year 5 years ago and was paying $12.99 for an audio I now have to pay $17. It's not like I was reaping some big benefit over the other guy.When the US Dollar went up I didn't take a pay cut.

It's not going to increase their UK sales; people won't say "Finally, now the pricing is fair, I'll buy more!" What will happen is they'll sell less titles to international buyers, but maybe non-UK sales are such a small portion they can lose us?

A real shame. I have spent thousands on Big Finish and this is how they feel about my business? :(

edit: LOL on the Not The Big Finish Forum some guy pointed out this is DOUBLING prices for Canadians.

http://notthebigfinishforum.freeforums.net/thread/5367/important-information-customers-overseas

:suicide:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Oof; well I'm certainly glad I have a bunch of sets preordered, because as others have said, this is most certainly going to cut down how much I buy from them.