Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Tomorrow, I have my favourite kind of job. From the notes I've been given: "User replaced toner, didn't fit, attempted to remove, end of toner stuck in device and now toner spilled within device". I swear to loving jesus some people should just not go near machinery

Murder all end-users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Peachfart posted:

Murder all end-users.

It wasn't as bad as I've seen. The toner was indeed sent with the cap not attached right, and the end user tried to put it back on and then insert the toner, but because the cap wasn't on just right, it just got stuck. A very small spill which needed five minutes to clean up, and an incredibly fiddly attempt to extract the cap which was at the extreme back of the machine

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What is a good printer for 2 retired people who will primarily be using it to print out tax returns and the occasional picture?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

inkjets, especially the ones that can do good photo prints, have a high cost of ownership and are extremely finicky. I'd go with a cheap brother/samsung/whatever b-w laser and do the photos at kinkos or your grocery store photo kiosk and let them deal with the maintenance headache for the occasions you want high quality prints

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

inkjets, especially the ones that can do good photo prints, have a high cost of ownership and are extremely finicky. I'd go with a cheap brother/samsung/whatever b-w laser and do the photos at kinkos or your grocery store photo kiosk and let them deal with the maintenance headache for the occasions you want high quality prints

Sounds good.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

In a "learn something new every day" thing, had a job where the output was blurry, but only because the yellow part of the image was mis-registered. Ran the colour registration adjustment, still out of alignment; reset the internal settings, ran the adjustment, still out of alignment. Turns out that if the sensor that reads the density of the toner patches ran on start up is slightly dirty, it'll gently caress that up so after blowing the sensor out with some air duster, ran the registration adjustment and lo, all the colours look good and proper

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Oh hey, I work at a printer/copier dealer. I only install the darn things, not service them, but it's good to see a bunch of people in the same line of work.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Llab posted:

Oh hey, I work at a printer/copier dealer. I only install the darn things, not service them, but it's good to see a bunch of people in the same line of work.

You must stop! You are only contributing to the spread of these infernal machines!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Everyone hates the copier tech until the machine goes down.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Llab posted:

All this week I've been dealing with a big defense contractor who's had their fleet refreshed, and by refreshed I mean the riggers have literally unpacked the machines and left them there, leaving me to go in and configure the bastards. And by configure, I put an IP address on, call someone, confirm they can see it and moonwalk out while ignoring all the end-users asking me to make it work. Sorry kids, that ain't my job

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax
This thread is cute, I work for an independent dealer and I do all of the above + more. Also the only half-worthwhile copier brand is Konica Minolta.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

All this week I've been dealing with a big defense contractor who's had their fleet refreshed, and by refreshed I mean the riggers have literally unpacked the machines and left them there, leaving me to go in and configure the bastards. And by configure, I put an IP address on, call someone, confirm they can see it and moonwalk out while ignoring all the end-users asking me to make it work. Sorry kids, that ain't my job

I can't even fathom that. I've heard stories, but it floors me that people just do that. I hate the drat things as much as anyone, but for bigger installs, I nominally have a bunch of people above me work out what needs to be done to configure the drat things once on site.

Cyberpope v2 posted:

This thread is cute, I work for an independent dealer and I do all of the above + more. Also the only half-worthwhile copier brand is Konica Minolta.

I've dealt mostly with KM and Canon, and I fall on the side of KM.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

In a "learn something new every day" thing, had a job where the output was blurry, but only because the yellow part of the image was mis-registered. Ran the colour registration adjustment, still out of alignment; reset the internal settings, ran the adjustment, still out of alignment. Turns out that if the sensor that reads the density of the toner patches ran on start up is slightly dirty, it'll gently caress that up so after blowing the sensor out with some air duster, ran the registration adjustment and lo, all the colours look good and proper

Was this on a 75/78/79/C80xx? Cause by howdy is that a common problem where I'm from. It's not always the MOB sensor but that's a good place to start.

Llab posted:

I can't even fathom that. I've heard stories, but it floors me that people just do that. I hate the drat things as much as anyone, but for bigger installs, I nominally have a bunch of people above me work out what needs to be done to configure the drat things once on site.

I'm contracted to a very large account that is currently going through a hardware refresh and any time the installs go wrong (at least 4 a week) I get called in to "make it work". Yeah.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just had a call diagnosing an issue with fax forwarding that had been escalated to me after multiple techs and IT people couldn't fix the issue. The fix? Customer didn't whitelist the copier IP address in their relay server.
Ugh. Now to go rebuild some developer units because my position has me literally doing 3 people's jobs.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Llab posted:

the customer I'm running around for is a massive defense contractor, with multiple different network set-ups on each base and they're sending the machines out with a default setting that just isn't working, so all we're doing is basically a factory reset, inputting the IP settings and letting out tech guys do the config at their end. But so far I've had: one that had been literally dumped in an office and the delivery guys hadn't switched on, nor taken off a plastic bumper which allowed the horizontal transport to sit right which naturally caused a jam; one where the IP board had failed and nuked the document handler connection, but during the fix I replaced the document handler with a new one which had had the document handler's exit pinch rolls removed (!!!!!!); one where I had two addresses 100 miles apart as to where it could be but it turned out that it was in a third; one where no-one knew where the gently caress it was and my last one was a non-networked, only to be used on a standalone PC via a USB cable with it's USB ports disabled. I feel like a loving idiot every time I go to one

Oyster posted:

Was this on a 75/78/79/C80xx? Cause by howdy is that a common problem where I'm from. It's not always the MOB sensor but that's a good place to start.

twas on a 7220 on a building site, and the yellow image was offset, and the offset adjustment was coming up as "notOK" and an NVM reset and adjustment did the same. I was about to escalate it up when I figured I'd remove the sensor, clean it and then do the offset on a whim and it worked like a charm

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

All solid ink ColorQube machines must die. That is all

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

All solid ink ColorQube machines must die. That is all

Wax-type inks are a dumb nightmare and I'm glad my company only tried making one machine then dumped the entire idea.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
All printers are a terrible nightmare...

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Wax-type inks are a dumb nightmare and I'm glad my company only tried making one machine then dumped the entire idea.

We're currently dealing with a big ColorQube 93xx that for reasons we can't fathom keeps dumping a deposit of wax on the cleaning unit. The printheads are fine, the drum is fine, the abatement plenum and IOD shield are all clean, we've installed new cleaning units, new transfix stripper blades and after a few hours this build up will just start appearing and we have no clue why. We suspect it's something to do with one of the boards that sends the control signals to the cleaning unit as that's a self contained unit with all it's own motors and drives and such, but it's a head scratcher

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've seen things like that on an 8880 with a dirty thermistor sensor.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I've seen things like that on an 8880 with a dirty thermistor sensor.

its with my APS so he can deal with it and then tell me what was wrong with it when he gets it working

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
I am currently working as back office staff for a small clinic and have some money to upgrade our printers. Currently in addition to a large monochrome fax/copier/bulk job printer we have THREE printers in the back office: a small monochrome laser that isn't even hooked up, a mid size monochrome laser with two trays that is the primary printer both on plain paper and special prescription paper, and a mid size fax/copier/printer that is literally only used as a black and white copier.

As part of my job I am producing nice materials for our patients that include things like information sheets, patient calendars, etc and we are going to get a color laser printer to help facilitate this. It would be nice to get a multifunction and replace the other three back office printers but that is not required. Budget is under 750, ideal stats would be: at least 2 trays and a multipurpose tray (to cover regular paper, order paper, and cardstock/high gloss paper for making nice handout materials), ability to handle up to like 170 gsm paper, automatic duplexing, network connectivity, and copying capability. Brother, OKI, HP, Cannon all make printers that fit this description but I have literally never bought a printer in my life, much less one designed for small business use, and I'm not having a lot of luck finding great comparative reviews. Anyone have any experience with this kind of purchase?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I'll just chip in with: don't ever expect your sub 1000 printer to print on anything other than plain paper to a high degree of quality for any length of time. It's going to be less than 1000 for a reason

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
I anticipate probably 6000 sheets a year would be on the high end of our use. The only OKI printer that’s more than a grand is rated for like 10,000 sheets a month. What wears out on these that they start to struggle with higher weight papers?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Feed rollers will be the first to go, but if you set the paper type and weight on the printer, the application and the driver to the same stock you're using, you'll get more life from it. Some of the issues I have are people using a heavy cardstock and leaving the paper type as plan or light card and the image quality blows and the rollers start to wear out

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I want a reliable scanner to digitize all my paperwork, don't care if it prints, recommendations?

Looking for something Linux compatible with a feeder.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 2, 2019

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

tehllama posted:

I am currently working as back office staff for a small clinic and have some money to upgrade our printers. Currently in addition to a large monochrome fax/copier/bulk job printer we have THREE printers in the back office: a small monochrome laser that isn't even hooked up, a mid size monochrome laser with two trays that is the primary printer both on plain paper and special prescription paper, and a mid size fax/copier/printer that is literally only used as a black and white copier.

As part of my job I am producing nice materials for our patients that include things like information sheets, patient calendars, etc and we are going to get a color laser printer to help facilitate this. It would be nice to get a multifunction and replace the other three back office printers but that is not required. Budget is under 750, ideal stats would be: at least 2 trays and a multipurpose tray (to cover regular paper, order paper, and cardstock/high gloss paper for making nice handout materials), ability to handle up to like 170 gsm paper, automatic duplexing, network connectivity, and copying capability. Brother, OKI, HP, Cannon all make printers that fit this description but I have literally never bought a printer in my life, much less one designed for small business use, and I'm not having a lot of luck finding great comparative reviews. Anyone have any experience with this kind of purchase?

Lease a small color MFP from a dealer, and if you are going to run that heavy stock make absolutely certain you set the media weight correctly. Modern printers use lower temperatures for energy efficiency and the trade off for this is that if you don't set the proper media weight it will not fuse correctly and/or destroy the fuser.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Lease a small color MFP from a dealer, and if you are going to run that heavy stock make absolutely certain you set the media weight correctly. Modern printers use lower temperatures for energy efficiency and the trade off for this is that if you don't set the proper media weight it will not fuse correctly and/or destroy the fuser.

please please please do this. If it doesn't murder kill the fuser, you'll get ghosting and repeating defects that you will never get rid of until you set the weight right and run some prints through. Also, even though their expensive, use the proper toners/drums/etc. Even before I started working for Xerox, I worked in an office where we had a Canon printer and on a week off someone ordered some drums for it, and on the Monday I spent most of the morning cleaning it up because the toner had gone everywhere because the drums they'd ordered were knock-offs

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I am looking for a printer with the following qualities:

Color
Duplex printing
decent print speed
print 2000+ pages a year

Price: I am okay with spending more upfront if it means lower per page costs. Ideally, $300 for the printer but I can go up to $500, if it's really good.

Any recommendations?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

I am looking for a printer with the following qualities:

Color
Duplex printing
decent print speed
print 2000+ pages a year

Price: I am okay with spending more upfront if it means lower per page costs. Ideally, $300 for the printer but I can go up to $500, if it's really good.

Any recommendations?

I'd say a Versalink C400, which costs $400, but a set of toner cartridges which last for 2,500 pages costs close to $500 per set

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does a full-colour (networked) label printer exist that isn't the Epson TM-C3500? Mainly just being a bit of a cheapskate here because I don't want to spend a grand.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'd say a Versalink C400, which costs $400, but a set of toner cartridges which last for 2,500 pages costs close to $500 per set

We standardized on the C600 as the workgroup printer before we said gently caress it and started pushing everyone to Follow Me/Streamline on the big managed MFDs. In the year they were in the environment (before I stopped being a printer toucher) I never had to do anything but reset paper tray settings. Compared to ColorQubes, that makes them rock solid reliable. The C400s should be similar.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

yeah that's a bit more than I wanted. Print speed is the lowest priority out of all the features - low cost per page for duplex printing is the highest priority.

What about this one? https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L8360CDW-Networking-Automatic-Replenishment/dp/B06XDSMKLT

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 21, 2019

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ah, never mind.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 21, 2019

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mllaneza posted:

We standardized on the C600 as the workgroup printer before we said gently caress it and started pushing everyone to Follow Me/Streamline on the big managed MFDs. In the year they were in the environment (before I stopped being a printer toucher) I never had to do anything but reset paper tray settings. Compared to ColorQubes, that makes them rock solid reliable. The C400s should be similar.

I heard a story about a Xerox account manager who sold a ColorQube to the Royal Navy for use on an ocean going vessel. When it got back to port, they raised a call because it wasn't printing, mainly because they'd been doing some rough weather testing and the machine's innards were absolutely coated in wax

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
In my dad's home office we've been using a Brother MFC-9340CDW for several years with great success thanks to the old printer thread. I liked it so much I bought the same printer for my home office when I needed one.

My dad's printer is currently not feeding paper correctly. It makes a squeak on occasion when the roller's start up. The paper is pulled from the tray properly but immediately jams and will not make it into the machine. Sometimes if you can get a page to print it will then print 10 or so with no issue. I've brought my machine over and tried to use my new(ish) parts on the old printer to see if I can make it work properly. No combination of the easily removable/replaceable parts have seemed to help. I've changed the small paper pick up rollers, the main belt drive, basically whatever I could easily remove from my machine with no tools and place into the old machine. It seems to me the problem is those first big rollers after it picks up the paper from the tray. The paper just jams up there like those rollers are not rolling. I can't find a youtube tutorial or even the part to replace them with quick searches.

Should we just replace the printer? Or should I try to figure out how to change out rollers on the thing?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Maybe a dumb question, but you tried new paper right? Stuff that sits around for a while and starts picking up too much humidity can start having jamming/feed issues

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
"Home" office may be the wrong term. Yes, we've tried different reams of paper. We go through a lot of paper as this is the main office for us. He just happens to work out of his house. He primarily prints to the black and white laser HP that is hooked up to his computer directly. I need to print from my laptop to the Brother over Wi-Fi and the 3rd person in the office would primarily print to the Brother also.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Are the rollers accessible enough that you can get in and give them a quick clean with a damp cloth or some sort of alcohol wipe? If it's an intermittent jam sounds like part of a roller somewhere has smoothed out and doesn't provide the grip to get the paper through. Either that or there's a dirty sensor in the paper path somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So we know it isn't a motor or sensor issue because it works occasionally, unless the sensor has paper dust on it. It is unlikely to be paper, but it is possible. I'd say the most likely fix is replacing the feed assembly rollers with a new set, and not grabbing random ones off another model of printer.
Also Brothers are solid machines but very disposable, so it might just be time to drop it in the garbage and get a new one.