Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macaluso posted:

Celeste or Baba is You

Not Celeste And Not Baba Is Not You

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I wonder if it's going to still be a dungeon crawler type or if it's going to lean more on an rpg with fixed maps etc

I really like Zelda dialogue and exploration but at the same time perhaps it wouldn't work as well with CotN gameplay.

Also Celeste is really good, so yeah I buy it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Now I'm trying to wrap my head around how Baba would handle OR statements.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I bought Stevens Sausage Roll after a couple of reviews gave it glowing praise and it never quite clicked for me. How much of Baba is You is spatial puzzle solving vs logic puzzling?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

Now I'm trying to wrap my head around how Baba would handle OR statements.

Forking quantum continuity paths. Multiplayer.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Meallan posted:

I wonder if it's going to still be a dungeon crawler type or if it's going to lean more on an rpg with fixed maps etc

I really like Zelda dialogue and exploration but at the same time perhaps it wouldn't work as well with CotN gameplay.

Also Celeste is really good, so yeah I buy it.

Pretty sure they already stated that it would be randomized

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

I bought Stevens Sausage Roll after a couple of reviews gave it glowing praise and it never quite clicked for me. How much of Baba is You is spatial puzzle solving vs logic puzzling?

80% logic 20% spacial

Moving the blocks around space is always going to be a consideration, but when it's a main part of a puzzle it's usually because things are stuck against walls rather than trying to move lots of blocks through confined spaces without getting stuck. And regardless the undo function lets you rewind backwards any amount of moves so it's really great for fixing mistakes, even not immediate ones.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

god i'm insanely hyped

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Just confirming that so far the Nuclear Throne port seems to be flawless for me. You just may find it different if you came from using M+KB on PC for it, but I always played with a controller.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

woah

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

god i'm insanely hyped

It's going to be great

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Does anyone have a specific Bluetooth adapter they use that they would recommend? Amazon has a few that plug into the USB-C that look pretty nice, it looks like they aren't able to use the headset mic then though.

I really wish Nintendo had thought voice through a little bit more. gently caress that app nonsense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Regy Rusty posted:

80% logic 20% spacial

Moving the blocks around space is always going to be a consideration, but when it's a main part of a puzzle it's usually because things are stuck against walls rather than trying to move lots of blocks through confined spaces without getting stuck. And regardless the undo function lets you rewind backwards any amount of moves so it's really great for fixing mistakes, even not immediate ones.

Sometimes it can be very positional though, like a level where I had to position some words just so, so I could push a block causing my body to no longer be alive and also be pushable, and have three souls push me across a damnable field of grain that kills any living being, only to come back to life when they pushed the word baba back to being is you

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

antidote posted:

Does anyone have a specific Bluetooth adapter they use that they would recommend? Amazon has a few that plug into the USB-C that look pretty nice, it looks like they aren't able to use the headset mic then though.

I really wish Nintendo had thought voice through a little bit more. gently caress that app nonsense.

The Genki one seems to be the most well regarded, but your experience may vary unless you specifically buy AptX Low Latency bluetooth headphones as far as I can tell.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My friend is getting a PS4, doesn't like Fortnite or Minecraft, really, so in order for us to play together, we're both planning on getting Rocket League. I have it on PC, but bleh, I want to play it portable. I heard the Switch port is good, Yes/No?

I don't care about the lower res, I just need smooth framerates.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I wonder what is the next indie team Nintendo is just going to lend their IP to.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

This is one of those concepts that's too pie-in-the-sky to be real

Like a 12 year old would daydream about this idea

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My friend is getting a PS4, doesn't like Fortnite or Minecraft, really, so in order for us to play together, we're both planning on getting Rocket League. I have it on PC, but bleh, I want to play it portable. I heard the Switch port is good, Yes/No?

I don't care about the lower res, I just need smooth framerates.

There might be crossplay (Sony specifically usually forbids it. Fortnite is an exception. Can't remember on Rocket League) but I'm not sure you can party with a specific person on another platform.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

80% logic 20% spacial

A fair number of the later puzzles use spatial elements in the logic, though. eg, SHIFT and SWAP as description words and FACING or ON as noun modifiers. In those puzzles, the key is often manipulating the objects to move in ways that otherwise break the level's rules.

There aren't any hardcore Sokoban levels, but there are some (see "Mouse Hole" - the first level of the Volcano world) that require a full understanding of the movement rules for each object.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Easy Mode is like having sex with a Fleshlight. It's not the most satisfying experience but you'll finish either way.

Hard Mode is like having sex with an actual person. It's difficult to find someone and interact with them, but the reward is worth the effort.

Assist Mode is like having sex with a Real Doll, it's the best of both worlds. It takes no effort to do but you still feel as fulfilled as loving a human being.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Reading this thread is like shoving my head into Goatse.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Imagined posted:

There might be crossplay (Sony specifically usually forbids it. Fortnite is an exception. Can't remember on Rocket League) but I'm not sure you can party with a specific person on another platform.

Rocket League has crossplay with all consoles and PC and they released an update last month allowing cross platform partying too

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Night in The Woods

Or

Salt and Sanctuary

???

Hard to compare and I want them both!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

Night in The Woods

Or

Salt and Sanctuary

???

Night in the Woods no question.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Night in The Woods

Or

Salt and Sanctuary

???

Salt and Sanctuary is pretty bad imo

It's also ugly as hell

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Night in The Woods

Or

Salt and Sanctuary

???

i'm one of the kinder people here towards salt & sanctuary

night in the woods is the clear winner

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I can't get over the S&S graphics. Is there a game worth playing under all that?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

We broke Mega64...

It sounds like Baba will be fine for me.

Unrelated question, is the a consensus best grip for handheld mode? I played the WiiU on the gamepad more often than not as it was super comfortable, but the switch just makes my hands go numb after a while.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What indie do I want making a Nintendo game?

Fuckin YACHT CLUB GAMES KID ICARUS OR STARTROPICS, MOTHER FUCKER

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I can't get over the S&S graphics. Is there a game worth playing under all that?

Under the godawful look it's a mediocre 2D dark souls clone

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What indie do I want making a Nintendo game?

Fuckin YACHT CLUB GAMES KID ICARUS OR STARTROPICS, MOTHER FUCKER

A more modernly designed 2D KI with the writing of Uprising would own. Also Startropics 3 in any form would own.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Night in The Woods

Or

Salt and Sanctuary

???

there is no comparison, nitw 100%

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

extreme :same:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I jumped on Chocbo's MD Everybuddy once it became clear that it was a HD remaster of FF Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon.

Easily one of the wii's best hidden gems with a soundtrack that is to die for (and certainly was in the wallet department IIRC)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yo Square-Enix if y'all are in the habit of bringing back forgotten Wii games can ya do My Life as a King next?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chin Strap posted:

Night in the Woods no question.

Wow, okay.
I actually watched some gameplay of SS and... yeah.

It was recommended to me as a 2D Dark Souls but, wow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Wow, okay.
I actually watched some gameplay of SS and... yeah.

It was recommended to me as a 2D Dark Souls but, wow.

the gameplay is pretty solid (though the way you and enemies can be sent flying is troublesome) and even the writing is a decent copy of the usual souls formula

the biggest hurdle to enjoying SKA's stuff is the art, and since i've been a fan of theirs since The Dishwasher i never had that problem

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The graphics in S&S are actively detrimental to game play, there were a few parts where I couldn't tell what was a platform and what was part of the background.

Night in the Woods rules.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
JUSTIN BAILEY FIGHTS
MEDUSA HARD MODE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

I beat the first area of necrodancer but zone 2 is absolutely kicking my rear end

Zone 3 is where the game actually gets hard. Frigging backstabbing imps :argh: