Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

Is anyone else kind of amazed that Annette Birkin actually isn't voiced by the same person in both versions of the game? I got curious about this and listened to them side-by-side and it's actually incredibly similar. The kind of detail they paid attention to in this remake is really kind of amazing.

I did think about this for a while but handwaved it away as coincidence given the 20 year gap. But holy poo poo her tone and mannerism is close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I did think about this for a while but handwaved it away as coincidence given the 20 year gap. But holy poo poo her tone and mannerism is close.
Definitely not the same person (I checked) but yeah, they could be younger and older sister for how incredibly similar they sound. I don't even know if that's a coincidence or someone actively set out to make their voice as close to each other as possible, but if they did, they did the most bang-up job of it I've ever seen.

With how detail-oriented this game is in every other regard, I'm not entirely willing to discount the possibility.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

il serpente cosmico posted:

They couldn't even be bothered to do a patch for PS4 Pro. I would have been happy with a patch that addresses the terrible frame pacing (the increase CPU power of the Pro would have helped).

It probably isn't worth it for them, watch, come the PS5 we'll see a 4K60 "remaster" with some slightly new lighting for $40.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

Definitely not the same person (I checked) but yeah, they could be younger and older sister for how incredibly similar they sound. I don't even know if that's a coincidence or someone actively set out to make their voice as close to each other as possible, but if they did, they did the most bang-up job of it I've ever seen.

With how detail-oriented this game is in every other regard, I'm not entirely willing to discount the possibility.

Oh I definitely checked after, in the same way I checked to see if Sally Cahill was just having an off-day in RE6 (she wasn't, it was just Courtenay Taylor having a fair go and getting away with it for the most part). Whether or not it was that deliberate on Capcom's part to match '98 and '19 Annette vocally I can't say (yet I will gleefully tempt ridicule by saying it was fairly unlikely, given how dissimilar everyone else sounds), but it doesn't matter; the casting and VA throughout was top notch. The mo-cap/facial animation also managed to look real without hitting "Uncanny Valley", which quite frankly is a scary deal in itself. Marvin being the obvious one here for looking genuinely pained but god drat the whole game is mindblowing in that department.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 21, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

s.i.r.e. posted:

It probably isn't worth it for them, watch, come the PS5 we'll see a 4K60 "remaster" with some slightly new lighting for $40.

I'd buy it in a second. Plz just give me 60fps

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Karen Strassman is actually a returning voice for the series. I think most of the actors in RE2Make are no-names because of the voice actor's strike or something? That they'd be more able to plan around her specifically because they already knew how she sounded on tape would make sense.

But yeah, fair point.

quote:

The mo-cap/facial animation also managed to look real without hitting "Uncanny Valley", which quite frankly is a scary deal in itself.
Leon sometimes looks weirdly Asian, but otherwise, yeah, definitely. It's hard to remember that you aren't watching a movie during some of the cutscenes. It's still early, but I think in that particular niche at least, it'll turn out to be one of the most visually impressive games of the year.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Cardiovorax posted:

Karen Strassman is actually a returning voice for the series. I think most of the actors in RE2Make are no-names because of the voice actor's strike or something? That they'd be more able to plan around her specifically because they already knew how she sounded on tape would make sense.

But yeah, fair point.

Leon sometimes looks weirdly Asian, but otherwise, yeah, definitely. It's hard to remember that you aren't watching a movie during some of the cutscenes. It's still early, but I think in that particular niche at least, it'll turn out to be one of the most visually impressive games of the year.

Claire's VA/Motion capture actress said in an interview that she was familiar with RE2, she even replayed it after she was cast to refamiliarize herself with the role. It's not inconcievable that Annette's actress did something similar and deliberately copied her tone/inflections.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
leon is such an utter goober in this game

leave it to beaver meets boyband

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

Sounds like a complaint to me. Are you a heretic?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Abhorrence posted:

Claire's VA/Motion capture actress said in an interview that she was familiar with RE2, she even replayed it after she was cast to refamiliarize herself with the role. It's not inconcievable that Annette's actress did something similar and deliberately copied her tone/inflections.
Good point. That would make sense especially since it wasn't her first role in a Resident Evil game, if the first major one.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I love how the casting/mocap for RE2R wasn't just some random VG gig, but that RE2 '98 actually left an impact beforehand. Not for all, but wow gently caress for the girl filling Alyson Court's boots? I'll take that. No wonder she got it down.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I don’t think it was a strike, I think the localization studio Capcom used decided to work with a non union cast.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I don’t think it was a strike, I think the localization studio Capcom used decided to work with a non union cast.

It worked. In a way it's absolutely much better, because I don't know these voices. As good as the VA work in RE5/RE6 et al was, I recognised Roger Craig Smith. I recognised Laura Bailey. I ain't complaining on that front, but for the sake of making something "old" feel new again, maybe that was the better choice?

Edit:
loving hell, I quote Leon from RE2 '98 without wanting to. IT WORKED!!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's a comment I hear a lot. I'm really not in favour of anything that fucks over unions in general (because, you know, gently caress corporations, we need any help against them that we can get), but in this case, it really made for something that feels a lot more fresh than yet another example of Yuri Lowenthal doing the [x] voice or whatever.

Although I think Ada came across kinda weak. One out of an entire cast ain't bad, though.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

If anyone wants a "classic" skin for Mr X. someone just ported the Darkside Chronicles model

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/10942/dark-side-chronicles

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I kinda liked new Ada, I thought she handled the kind of pissed-off-flirtatious banter with Leon pretty well.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah he is. "Durrr, the pretty girl kissed me, better do what she says."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I kinda liked new Ada, I thought she handled the kind of pissed-off-flirtatious banter with Leon pretty well.
It's a problem that I think comes and goes. The voice acting it fine during the more action-heavy sequences, but at many other times, she sounds is almost monotonous. I think I get where it's coming from, trying to make it appear as if she's trying to sound distanced and professional... but really, nobody should be able to say something like "Secret weapon time!" and give the impression of being almost bored doing it. Especially not someone who thinks that a slinky Chinese dress is an appropriate outfit for infiltrating a city full of the living dead, you know what I mean?

I guess it stands out to me especially because you're going to be comparing her to Leon, who just puts so much feeling and intensity into every single thing he says. This is really the biggest quibble I have with the voice acting in this game, though, and it's not a very big one.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oxxidation posted:

I know, it's great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also i think i made it to the end of No Time to Mourn with just enough blood left in me to keep a hamster alive

by the time i hit that final mob of zombies i was just praying for i-frames to last me the next half-dozen feet

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Leon's just so gosh darn excited by everything in this game. Gets attacked by a giant three headed abomination

"That sure was a thing! :imunfunny: "

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

Leon's just so gosh darn excited by everything in this game. Gets attacked by a giant three headed abomination

Leon workshopping his action hero one-liners over the course of the game was a thing of beauty. It almost makes up for the loss of him going, "MAN! Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me???" in RE2 '98.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I hope I dont have to write a report on this!

Says Leon while Marvin's cold corpse is walking around the main hall.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

whereas claire comes off as someone barely holding on to either her sanity or her lust for blood depending on the situation

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I hope I dont have to write a report on this!

Says Leon while Marvin's cold corpse is walking* around the main hall.

*crawling

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Oxxidation posted:

whereas claire comes off as someone barely holding on to either her sanity or her lust for blood depending on the situation

claire seems wildly self assured and like she's having a lot of fun

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

She does sound like either that or like she's on the verge of a nervous breakdown, almost randomly sometimes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm sure I'm the last person in the thread to say it but I really love the scene of Leon and Claire flirting at the gate while zombies lurch towards them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fun fact about those zombies, by the way: if you shoot them even once, they'll run off. They just turn around and bugger off and away to off-screen. I have no idea where they go, but once they run, you never see them again. Only zombies in the game that do this.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cardiovorax posted:

Fun fact about those zombies, by the way: if you shoot them even once, they'll run off. They just turn around and bugger off and away to off-screen. I have no idea where they go, but once they run, you never see them again. Only zombies in the game that do this.

The window smashers in the west hallway 1F do this too!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

She does sound like either that or like she's on the verge of a nervous breakdown, almost randomly sometimes.

during the fight with G4 she sounded ready to pull the poor sod apart with her bare hands

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Party Boat posted:

I'm sure I'm the last person in the thread to say it but I really love the scene of Leon and Claire flirting at the gate while zombies lurch towards them.

It really is amazing. :allears:
I showed the game off to a few friends and we all took turns giggling and joking about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dewgy posted:

The window smashers in the west hallway 1F do this too!
Oh yeah, they do. You can just see it particularly well with the fence zombies because they'll just stand there forever and do nothing until you shoot, while I think the window grabbers walk off after a while.

It's the weirdest behaviour and I really wonder what quirk in the zombie AI causes that. They all take the exact same route, too. You can set them up to shuffle off-screen all in a row like a gaggle of zombie ducklings. It's almost like it's pre-programmed, but I have no idea why you'd bother setting them up for a behaviour like that.

Oxxidation posted:

during the fight with G4 she sounded ready to pull the poor sod apart with her bare hands
Personally, I'm really fine with either, because Claire is hardcore and that is what she does. It would've been nice if her mental state had been presented a bit more consistently during the regular playthrough, though. As is, it's a bit like seeing Leon pull out his late game action hero one liners at the beginning of the game.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

amigolupus posted:

Leon workshopping his action hero one-liners over the course of the game was a thing of beauty. It almost makes up for the loss of him going, "MAN! Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me???" in RE2 '98.

"Game over!" was definitely missed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

“You lose big guy” is a treasure that is sorely missed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally, I'm really fine with either, because Claire is hardcore and that is what she does. It would've been nice if her mental state had been presented a bit more consistently during the regular playthrough, though. As is, it's a bit like seeing Leon pull out his late game action hero one liners at the beginning of the game.

i chalked up her attitude during that particular encounter to a combination of sherry's presence and plain old exasperation, really

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

My partner actually found the most relateable part of Claire's character to be the tendency to respond to stress with a hearty "gently caress OFF AND DIE". As a tomboy raised by a military father, that's exactly her response as well, so seeing a female character in a video game approach a scary boss fight by voluntarily jumping onto a descending platform and being all "I KNOW WHAT THE gently caress I'M DOING, ANNETTE, SHUT UP AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR KID" was actually pretty exciting for her. Makes total sense by an orphan raised by Chris Redfield.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oxxidation posted:

This is why Claire B is canonical, going from G4 to G5 where she's all "I GOT MORE BULLETS FOR YOU FUCKER"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Makes total sense by an orphan raised by Chris Redfield.
Yeah, say what you want, but they do a really good job of making Claire come across as exactly the kind of girl who'd travel halfway across the country with nothing but a revolver, a motorbike and a pair of really tight pants to find her missing brother. And if that includes cage matches with giant virus monsters and hordes of zombies, then so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, say what you want, but they do a really good job of making Claire come across as exactly the kind of girl who'd travel halfway across the country with nothing but a revolver, a motorbike and a pair of really tight pants to find her missing brother. And if that includes cage matches with giant virus monsters and hordes of zombies, then so be it.

Also the implication that her friends are not warning her to stay out of trouble out of any concern for her safety and wellbeing, but because she's CLAIRE, and will undoubtedly gently caress up the day of anyone who so much as looks at her funny.