Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

nm posted:

When I was a PD we .6ed judges fairly often. They didn't take it that personally unless we blanked challenged them, which only happened twice. (One the DA's office joined us due to the judge being a creepy harrasser.)

Yeah, I've had other judges say that in the past. However, this one does take it personally according to multiple other attorneys (one got dragged into chambers due to it). Thankfully I likely won't be in front of them again in the future, they were filling in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Eminent Domain posted:

Got to drop a peremptory challenge on a judge today (woo California) and they looked ready to rip my still beating heart out and gavel it.

My client just said afterwards "wow, they hate you now". Thanks, client.

did you have a judge on jury duty or do you have some odd system where you get a do-over on the judge you were assigned

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

did you have a judge on jury duty or do you have some odd system where you get a do-over on the judge you were assigned

Do you not get a do-over on an assigned judge? We get one peremptory challenge per "side" (co-defendants are jointly one side) so max of two automatic judge changes in every case.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BigHead posted:

Do you not get a do-over on an assigned judge? We get one peremptory challenge per "side" (co-defendants are jointly one side) so max of two automatic judge changes in every case.

no, that's a bizarre system

we get the judge we got assigned unless we can scrounge up some reason they have to recuse or we should be transferred

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I just heard an ad on the radio for the most noxious, incredible firm I'd never heard of; Cordell & Cordell, a specialized men only divorce firm. The whole thing was presenting itself as "divorce tips" that were dancing on the edge of advice.
Their slogan was "a partner men can count on", and it was every bit as atrocious and sexist as you can imagine - a whole string of "here are the things you need to do to protect yourself from that lying bitch and her shitbag attorney" comment,s barely phrased more politely.

And now I found out they have TV ads, too.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Discendo Vox posted:

I just heard an ad on the radio for the most noxious, incredible firm I'd never heard of; Cordell & Cordell, a specialized men only divorce firm. The whole thing was presenting itself as "divorce tips" that were dancing on the edge of advice.
Their slogan was "a partner men can count on", and it was every bit as atrocious and sexist as you can imagine - a whole string of "here are the things you need to do to protect yourself from that lying bitch and her shitbag attorney" comment,s barely phrased more politely.

This firm was a running joke when I took matrimonial property

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

BigHead posted:

I would kill for this but I feel like half the Dallas courts would never have a single case

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Discendo Vox posted:

Only Bailey and Galyen is worse.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah those ads run here and it’s about the most MRA oriented business not based within reddit. “Is your bitch wife trying to take your money?”

I applied there as a new grad in 2009. Didn’t get a callback lol.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I have cases against Cordell attorneys on a semi regular basis and they are as awful as the ads sound. The tone is very much on purpose.

And yeah, as BigHead said California has a peremptory challenge to an assigned judge once per case. I had to burn mine because the judge is absolute dogshit but if looks could kill I'd be dead.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Oh god. All the selected reviews on the Cordell & Cordell website have a common theme. Can you guess what it was?

Hint: it’s why Look Sir Droids didn’t get a callback

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigHead posted:

How do manage that logistically in Alaska? My county has one district judge and one associate judge. The 3-county judicial district has another 3 district judges that could be pulled off their own dockets to drive 45 minutes to an hour for court if we had peremptories. I don't know how one would make it work, particularly if you wanted to avoid the "make the new judge hate you with white-hot passion" catch-22.

Discendo Vox posted:

I had a law school dean named Cordell. She probably inspired the firm. Hmm. Founded 1990. Fits.

Ft. Worth:

Yes, there was Peter Ustinov cosplay.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

joat mon posted:

How do manage that logistically in Alaska? My county has one district judge and one associate judge. The 3-county judicial district has another 3 district judges that could be pulled off their own dockets to drive 45 minutes to an hour for court if we had peremptories. I don't know how one would make it work, particularly if you wanted to avoid the "make the new judge hate you with white-hot passion" catch-22.

I had a law school dean named Cordell. She probably inspired the firm. Hmm. Founded 1990. Fits.

Ft. Worth:

I like to think that Fort Worth got jealous of Dallas and Robocop and decided to make their own Robocop themed park.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

joat mon posted:

Ft. Worth:

Fun fact, about once every 3-4 years someone drowns here. Usually kids.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

Ft. Worth:

That photo is intentionally unflattering!

@CowJoatMon

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

Ft. Worth:

How many Sci Fi Channel originals do you think contain scenes shot at this fountain? Maybe 15?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Wait. Is Joat in town for the Call of Duty Tournament???

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh god. All the selected reviews on the Cordell & Cordell website have a common theme. Can you guess what it was?

Hint: it’s why Look Sir Droids didn’t get a callback

I need it spelled out.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Fun fact, about once every 3-4 years someone drowns here. Usually kids.

Is it a "fun" fact though?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

I need it spelled out.

The reviews are all about female attorneys; there is an unfounded belief that hiring a woman to represent a man in family Court gives the man an advantage, because "If this lady lawyer don't think I'm a pig, my bitch of an ex wife must be lyin!"

And Droids purportedly has a dick, so...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

The reviews are all about female attorneys; there is an unfounded belief that hiring a woman to represent a man in family Court gives the man an advantage, because "If this lady lawyer don't think I'm a pig, my bitch of an ex wife must be lyin!"

Oh wow, did not know that was a thing in the US as well, but I suppose I should have guessed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lote posted:

I like to think that Fort Worth got jealous of Dallas and Robocop and decided to make their own Robocop themed park.
Other way around. Dallas is jealous because they demolished Arcade.

Is it a "fun" fact though?
Neither fun nor fact. (Though 4 did die all at once in 2004. As a result they changed the center's depth from 9 feet to 2 feet.

Vox Nihili posted:

How many Sci Fi Channel originals do you think contain scenes shot at this fountain? Maybe 15?
Not nearly enough. Which ones?

blarzgh posted:

That photo is intentionally unflattering!

@CowJoatMon
Is it the lack of a ring that offends you so?

@mom_blarzgh

blarzgh posted:

Wait. Is Joat in town for the Call of Duty Tournament???
I am @watergardenwhitenight_762

Oh wow, did not know that was a thing in the US as well, but I suppose I should have guessed.
Interestingly, 7/15 partners are women, too.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

blarzgh posted:

I originally thought this was what you meant because I def saw a lot of them but I saw a bunch about men too.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

Sometimes with difficulty. If a party in, say, Barrow perempts the only judge for three hundred miles, then the case gets assigned to a different judge but the case stays in Barrow. So it pisses everyone under the sun off. A central hub judge (anchorage or fairbanks) will hear the case, appearing telephonically in Barrow, until trial. At trial they usually dig up a retired judge who will volunteer to go out there. We have a pretty robust system of retired judges. I know a guy who did some stupid vehicle theft trial with the just-retired Chief Justice. That was great.

If it's an anchorage case (or other hub) then the judges are used to passing cases around like hot potatoes. Nobody bats an eye. The clerks just send out a new date in front of a new judge and there you go.

If a judge is getting blanket preempted by the PDs or DA, then nobody says anything for a while, until the presiding judge calls the local agency head and tells him to knock it off. Or the offending judge gets transfered to a full civil docket.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 21, 2019

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

joat mon posted:

Neither fun nor fact. (Though 4 did die all at once in 2004. As a result they changed the center's depth from 9 feet to 2 feet.

Ohhh, look at Mr. Fort Worth over here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

blarzgh posted:

Ding ding ding, it's creepy as all hell given the case context especially. All the most prominently listed ones are about female attorneys. The reviews talking about how nice/pleasant the female Cordell attorneys are (inevitably referring to them by first name) were absolutely :barf:. Of course, they feature male attorneys/voiceovers in their advertising materials.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
~oh boy after months of studying I'm finally sending off to get my date to take the patent bar~

gently caress this narc-rear end exam

joat mon posted:

if her name starts with an M, she was my dad's patient back in the day and her son was in my boy scout troop.

how the hell do we know so many of the same people?

e: bah, not the same cordell. i thought the dean's husband was in social security practice last I remembered.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 23, 2019

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 23, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sincx posted:

Full text search is your friend.

Seriously. It’s a minimum competence open book exam, where the book is searchable - it should be a week of studying and done.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"Good, I'm glad our president didn't collude with a foreign power to fix an election."

- All the level-headed people on the Left

"I'm glad the process played out because we welcome scrutiny, and now we can move on."

- All the level-headed people on the Right

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

blarzgh posted:

"Good, I'm glad our president didn't collude with a foreign power to fix an election."

"I'm glad the process played out because we welcome scrutiny, and now we can move on."

- people that still trust the fbi for some inexplicable reason

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Barr’s letter has three or four absolutely garbage lawyerisms that make it worthless. Anything less than releasing the full report and Mueller testifying in front of congress is pointless.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

blarzgh posted:

- All the level-headed people on the left

This is legit how I feel.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Barr’s letter has three or four absolutely garbage lawyerisms that make it worthless. Anything less than releasing the full report and Mueller testifying in front of congress is pointless.

the stuff on collusion is pretty strong but i read the stuff on obstruction as mueller saying "he definitely obstructed justice but that's a matter for congress"

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

blarzgh posted:

This is correct, but that we had to wonder in the first place is bad.

And yeah, it depends on how much of a whitewash Barr’s letter is.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 25, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've only had a chance to do a brief read and I agree with Phil's interpretation, there are some crazy gaps in the phrasing.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

evilweasel posted:

the stuff on collusion is pretty strong but i read the stuff on obstruction as mueller saying "he definitely obstructed justice but that's a matter for congress"

He defines “cooperation” in a footnote and while that’s all well and good when you want to cover your fat chewed bubble gum looking rear end, it leaves a shitload of insanely corrupt and impeachable crap outside the definition. Barr’s letter is a toilet poo poo paper solely drafted to (a) minimally comply with federal regs and (b) cover his boss’s ample chewed bubble gum looking rear end.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kalman posted:

Seriously. It’s a minimum competence open book exam, where the book is searchable - it should be a week of studying and done.
why is the pass rate such poo poo? how many complete idiots are taking this?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 23, 2021

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

sincx posted:

I have no idea why the pass rate is so low. I spent about 40 hours studying from a used PLI patent exam prep binder, and I think I would still have passed with half the time.

The easy questions are easy. The hard questions test very specific rules, and as long as you 1. know the section of the MPEP the rule is from, and 2. the right keywords to search for (normally very obvious), you'll be able to find the answer quickly.
fresh! thanks for the tip. i’ll actually be able to do a keyword search on the MPEP during the exam? i knew it was open book, but being able to run a search is a game-changer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Avenatti indicted in scheme to extort $22.5M from Nike by threatening to expose that Nike had funneled money to recruits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/sports/michael-avenatti-extortion-nike.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

What a weird 24 hours.

Edit : Yikes.

"Amazing. Avenatti, speaking directly with Nike's lawyers, allegedly threatened to extort the company. The lawyers immediately called up the Justice Department and set up a recorded sting of Avenatti reiterating his allegedly criminal demands" https://t.co/6PkOUjsH7F

Fuzzie Dunlop fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 25, 2019