Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

stirlo posted:

awesome to hear, we are about to take a new Golf with this engine; and I was a bit concerned it wouldn’t be smooth enough but Wife says it’s smoother than our old (40L per 100km city, 3L ish on highway!) thirsty 2.8 Passat.

servicing costs ideally won’t be as insane too. $700 for an interior light fitting?! nooo we will stay in the dark thanks VW / Audi.
The craziness is you buying a midmarket german car in TYOOL 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

those are HOT lanes :eng101:

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/mnpass/mnpassexpresslanes.html

all hov lanes in the area are also toll aren't they?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

well yeah but isn't that because there is that goofy bus stop in the middle of the one bridge over 35w in south minneapolis? all the other shoulder buses i see are on the outside shoulder, not the inside one

I'm not sure if it's a route that stops there but the ones I've see headed downtown use the carpool lane, not the shoulder. of course I also see busses on those protected direction changing lanes on 394

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah, I got a pass just in case and it has a switch to shut it off if you have a passenger. barely use the thing though because I've lived almost-downtown for about ten years so it's been mostly reverse commuting

now I finally work downtown and take the bus and it rules :kimchi:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hobbesmaster posted:

yes, thats what a HOT lane is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i should probably wrap my ipass in aluminum foil or something if i ever want to use those lanes with a passenger i guess? i have a reverse commute so its never been hit but still

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
sorry for funny billionaire dot acrylic on canvas but this turned up on a tumblr i like

pairs well with 'every breath you take'

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

ADINSX posted:

What are your thoughts on the 128i from about 10 years ago? I've been eyeing the 1 series for awhile but never pulled the trigger.

Never buy Valvetronic. Never.

The only 1 Series you should look at is the Pre 2007 Diesels with the M47 engines. remove the Swirl Flaps and unplug/Block the EGR vacuum line and the engine will make half a million Kilometers (go to a BMW tuner to re code the EGR parameter to +40 to avoid Error Codes - this is only on the M47TU2, the first gen Common Rail in the E46 wont do that, you can simply block the Vacuum line). a Full Million if you change the oil every 10000 Km. And they come with the good 6 Speed Manual. Change the Oil in that every 40000 Km.

E: also treat the oil separator of the crank case ventilation as a service part. Change every 50000 km.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 21, 2019

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

The craziness is you buying a midmarket german car in TYOOL 2019

I mean. why?

it’s a drat good update from our 17yo ish Passat and actually holds oil.. doesn’t seem as if it wants to combust

no electrical gremlins; in hmmmm 2038 I’ll check back if we have roads left and see!

I’d love a golf E but they don’t sell em here :(

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Are Volvos on the YOSPOS approved list?

:ohdear:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

huh I was wrong and Elon's lawyers got permission from the judge to file their eight page sur-reply by tomorrow.

so that should be fun reading.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Schadenboner posted:

Are Volvos on the YOSPOS approved list?

:ohdear:

Depends on the Volvo.

If you get an 850 series with the 5 cylinder TDI by Audi you made an exceptionally good choice and get to enjoy pre common rail direct injection by the power of Greyskull the mighty Bosch VP37 without any of the volkswagen Pumpe-Düse fuckery.
This engine will easily chew through half a million miles on regular service.

Volvo also made their own 5 cylinder gasoline engines but they were incredibly thirsty.

Newer than that and you get into sketchy volvo territory where the cars start to look modern but also age modern (ie fast)

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 22, 2019

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

also please make sure it's a wagon and preferably also brown

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have a 2018 Honda Fit and like it a lot :ohdear:

It replaced a 2012 Fit, I have a type okay :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FAUXTON posted:

If it Fits you, ok

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

Depends on the Volvo.

If you get an 850 series with the 5 cylinder TDI by Audi you made an exceptionally good choice and get to enjoy pre common rail direct injection by the power of Greyskull the mighty Bosch VP37 without any of the volkswagen Pumpe-Düse fuckery.
This engine will easily chew through half a million miles on regular service.

Volvo also made their own 5 cylinder gasoline engines but they were incredibly thirsty.

Newer than that and you get into sketchy volvo territory where the cars start to look modern but also age modern (ie fast)

my first car was a shittily maintained hand-me-down '85 (or something) 240 DL. the blinkers would randomly stop working and I'd have to use hand signals for months at a time untill they just...resumed working. The thing was a loving tank and played my sister's old sun-distorted cassette tapes and I drove it until it stopped working entirely

a very yospos car

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hobbesmaster posted:

i should probably wrap my ipass in aluminum foil or something if i ever want to use those lanes with a passenger i guess? i have a reverse commute so its never been hit but still

if by ipass you mean the one from Illinois it's a totally incompatible system as far as I know and I have both

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

incels interlinked posted:

I think the 991 and newer porsche 911 started with engineering the convertible first

McLaren also designed the 720S spider first.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

if by ipass you mean the one from Illinois it's a totally incompatible system as far as I know and I have both

i thought mnpass could read ipass.

the more you know!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FAUXTON posted:

i have a 2015 Fit and it is extremely needs suiting, and can indeed fit an extraordinary amount of crap inside.

If my Fit got wrecked and an EV Fit was available I'd buy it in an instant.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I took a test drive in a Fit, seemed pretty handy to me. Cheap. Be nice as a hybrid or electric. It was less weird than the Insight, even if it was an automatic. Are all new cars like, half computer? Are they trying to do the futuristic schtick like Tesla?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shifty Pony posted:

i have a 2015 Fit and it is extremely needs suiting, and can indeed fit an extraordinary amount of crap inside.

If my Fit got wrecked and an EV Fit was available I'd buy it in an instant.

i have ridden in an ev fit

honda didn't make many, it was a test mule for their electric drivetrain. coworker acquaintance got on the list to lease one (you weren't allowed to buy). iirc he said it was pretty good but had some issues.

since honda now has evs in general production maybe they'll bring the production ev drivetrain back to the fit

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
argh quote is not edit

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

iospace posted:

Holy loving poo poo.
two people who have never driven "luxury" cars where the thin film on every single switch wears off after a couple years under normal use

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rockopolis posted:

I took a test drive in a Fit, seemed pretty handy to me. Cheap. Be nice as a hybrid or electric. It was less weird than the Insight, even if it was an automatic. Are all new cars like, half computer? Are they trying to do the futuristic schtick like Tesla?
yeah p much. even my dad's mustang has a full-color lcd for the gauge panel

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Combat Theory posted:

Never buy Valvetronic. Never.

In America we didn't get the pre-2008 1 series and we def never get the diesels. What specifically is wrong with the valvetronic? The internet seems to think without the turbo they're reliable but obviously I trust your take on it more than theirs.

I've always been a BMW fan, I guess cause my dad had one in the 80s (SO BROWN), but anything made today is too expensive and probably trash, and any survivors from that era are probably maintenance hassles

Shifty Pony posted:

The car I most regret selling is my '07 Yaris... you could get them pretty cheap because the fit was so much more popular and it never gave me any problems, and was surprisingly roomy for such a small car. Did 6 cross country road trips in it

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 22, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

two people who have never driven "luxury" cars where the thin film on every single switch wears off after a couple years under normal use

It is shut upping time now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1108650713876324357

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Munkeymon posted:

"MnDOT is working with the EZPass Group to become interoperable with the toll systems in the northeast region of the country including the Illinois IPASS system. Interoperability is anticipated to begin in mid-2019."

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

fishmech posted:

"MnDOT is working with the EZPass Group to become interoperable with the toll systems in the northeast region of the country including the Illinois IPASS system. Interoperability is anticipated to begin in mid-2019."

:unsmith: well thats nice - one less stupid thing to remember to bring with me to Chicago

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

It is shut upping time now
the republican defender has logged on

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

ADINSX posted:

In America we didn't get the pre-2008 1 series and we def never get the diesels. What specifically is wrong with the valvetronic? The internet seems to think without the turbo they're reliable but obviously I trust your take on it more than theirs.

I've always been a BMW fan, I guess cause my dad had one in the 80s (SO BROWN), but anything made today is too expensive and probably trash, and any survivors from that era are probably maintenance hassles

The car I most regret selling is my '07 Yaris... you could get them pretty cheap because the fit was so much more popular and it never gave me any problems, and was surprisingly roomy for such a small car. Did 6 cross country road trips in it

The problem is that the valvetronic mechanism is not wear compensated for the excenter shaft.

The whole unit relies on a very very precise setting of the excenter value on that shaft that has to be exactly the same for all intake valves.

This works good out of the box, but any kind of wear and especially non synchronized wear (for example due to hot spots, dirt assemblies etc) will drift individual valves away from their desired opening and therefore volumetric efficiency curve.

On an engine with full opening valves and a regular valvetrain a lift difference of 1/10 of a mm won't bother you at all, but on the valvetronic thats the difference between the engine idling and the engine throttling to a stand still.

Valvetronic could have worked without BMWs long life motor oil bullshit, maybe. But it's a fragile system by design.

Valvetronic also amplifies the problem of the valve stem seals wearing because at low lift, the relative velocity of the stem surface in the seal is low as well, meaning it's harder to build up a fully bearing dynamic lubrication film.

When the valvetronic wears you'll experience some of the worst engine behavior you can imagine and every mechanic thats not used to the system will go nuts at changing spark plugs, coils, injectors, filters and the like because there is absolutely no indication the valvetronic is worn the gently caress out other than experience or a mechanical post mortem when you extracted the bad boy from the cylinder head.

A new valvetronic and valve seals will run you north of 4000 euro at the dealership and if you stick to the horrible long life plan, you may be looking at that every 60-80k miles.

Never buy valvetronic.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 22, 2019

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

How dumb is it to buy a blacked out and likely abused 328 for cheep? On the bright side (?) it only has ~80k and recently had VANOS, coils, ground strap, steering shaft & recalls done.

No idea why you always have such horrendous premium car experiences Kotex...

No idea.

Lmao

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Triple post: any simple small car is a good buy. Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris? Good choice either way. But don't knock off the Korean manufacturers. The build quality and longevity of the cars that hyundai and Kia have on sale right now is astonishing. They are a pleasure to work on and very very reliable and give you that 90s Japan feel that suddenly, someone else is making excellent cars as well. Not that we have been making any excellent cars in a while lol.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

iospace posted:

Yet you bought a Tesla

stirlo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 23, 2019

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

the republican defender has logged on

turn on your monitor

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

are you saying luxury cars have the same thin protective film my microwave had, but you're supposed to discard it on a microwave and not in the car?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Rockopolis posted:

It’s 2019, so yes, all new cars are half computer.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

Triple post: any simple small car is a good buy. Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris? Good choice either way. But don't knock off the Korean manufacturers. The build quality and longevity of the cars that hyundai and Kia have on sale right now is astonishing. They are a pleasure to work on and very very reliable and give you that 90s Japan feel that suddenly, someone else is making excellent cars as well. Not that we have been making any excellent cars in a while lol.
a good and correct opinion. Even their larger new sedans are v nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

drgitlin posted:

It’s 2019, so yes, all new cars are half computer.
I probably should have specified the Star Trekish displays in the cabin, not the ECU.
I've driven the same car for like a dozen years, all this is kind of a shock.

I'm kind of surprised Tesla never got into making e-bikes, its like the trendy thing now. I know they're a car company, but they've basically made their money from buzz, not from sound investment in infrastructure. Make more sense than the Boring Company or whatever. Can't see how they'd gently caress up harder.
Maybe e-bikes just don't have as satisfying an impact when they hit firetrucks.