Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes, Spectre was exclusively a CPU issue so all the improvements from fixes are to CPU performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I don't understand how search works. I've got a second hard drive with a bunch of pdfs, but searching for a title yields nothing. I double-checked if the hard drive is indexed, but the checkbox is ticked so it should work? idk

by search I mean "press the windows-key and start typing"

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

mike12345 posted:

I don't understand how search works. I've got a second hard drive with a bunch of pdfs, but searching for a title yields nothing. I double-checked if the hard drive is indexed, but the checkbox is ticked so it should work? idk

Honestly, in my opinion, the inbuilt search function in Windows has been almost worthless since Vista, became somewhat worse with 7 (they removed the interface to build search queries), and with 8 and 10 became completely hopeless. Use something else. I've been a big fan of Agent Ransack / FileLocator Lite for a really long time, but others will probably come with other suggestions too.

Edit: oh, but with regards to start menu search specifically, that's been broken since 8 in my experience, and 10 has done nothing to alleviate that. If you install Classic Start menu from Classic Shell, then it works much, much better.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 16, 2019

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

c0burn posted:

Thanks for your help. I think I wasn't clear though. Does the performance improvement apply to my CPU?

The registry edit floating around on the Forums and the greater Internet applies to anything recent. While Skylake and up on the Intel side can't use retpoline, they still benefit from import optimization, covered by the same edit.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

dont be mean to me posted:

The registry edit floating around on the Forums and the greater Internet applies to anything recent. While Skylake and up on the Intel side can't use retpoline, they still benefit from import optimization, covered by the same edit.

They were specifically asking about their AMD cpu though, a Ryzen 1300x I believe, and if retpoline would help with performance on it. AMD CPUs are also affected by the specter and meltdown mitigation stuff?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

MagusDraco posted:

They were specifically asking about their AMD cpu though, a Ryzen 1300x I believe, and if retpoline would help with performance on it. AMD CPUs are also affected by the specter and meltdown mitigation stuff?

Spectre, yes, and that's what Retpoline is about. (They aren't affected by Meltdown.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

MagusDraco posted:

By recent, I mean like Sandy Bridge or Construction cores. Anything that actually got patched up for Meltdown or Spectre. Yes. The 1300X qualifies.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

mike12345 posted:

I can't recommend Everything! enough. Set a global hotkey (I use ctrl+space) and never look back.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

mike12345 posted:

I think it's supposed to index other drives in 19H1. Once that update hits, shout at Cortana to Enhance hit the button in settings to change search to 'Enhanced' mode.

Until then just open that drive in File Explorer and search there.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Hey, does Windows 10 have some kind of "activity"-based sleep timer? I have it set to sleep after thirty minutes of inactivity while plugged in, and I just had it go to sleep on me twice in the span of five minutes while I was up brushing my teeth.

It's also entirely possible that it's my computer having some kind of issue with Windows 10, since I've also noticed my display flickering occasionally (usually when waking up from sleep or turning the screen back on.)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

There’s an Adobe-provided plugin that, once installed, enables indexing in Windows search. I had the same problem you do but now they all come up in type-to-search.

Install this bad boy: https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=5542

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Djeser posted:

Hey, does Windows 10 have some kind of "activity"-based sleep timer? I have it set to sleep after thirty minutes of inactivity while plugged in, and I just had it go to sleep on me twice in the span of five minutes while I was up brushing my teeth.

It's also entirely possible that it's my computer having some kind of issue with Windows 10, since I've also noticed my display flickering occasionally (usually when waking up from sleep or turning the screen back on.)

Modern Standby maybe?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HalloKitty posted:

Honestly, in my opinion, the inbuilt search function in Windows has been almost worthless since Vista, became somewhat worse with 7 (they removed the interface to build search queries), and with 8 and 10 became completely hopeless. Use something else. I've been a big fan of Agent Ransack / FileLocator Lite for a really long time, but others will probably come with other suggestions too.

Edit: oh, but with regards to start menu search specifically, that's been broken since 8 in my experience, and 10 has done nothing to alleviate that. If you install Classic Start menu from Classic Shell, then it works much, much better.

Seconding Agent Ransack, it is everything that Windows Search should be, and then some.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Ok, I'll check out those alternatives until the April update hits.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I can't recommend Everything! enough. Set a global hotkey (I use ctrl+space) and never look back.

I like it as well since you can have it index (loving fast) network shares.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

chutwig posted:

Modern Standby maybe?

Nope, this is a laptop from 2011. I double checked in powercfg and it doesn't support Modern Standby, and the Event Viewer logs list the reason for going to sleep as System Idle, despite the fact that it happened to me again just recently and it had been at most a minute or two since I'd touched the mouse or keyboard.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've had a few computers develop fast timeouts after updates and it was cleared by going into the power settings, resetting the power config to default, then changing it back in settings.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Djeser posted:

I'm having the same issue, but only when the monitor is a tv.

I reset the power settings to default and that worked until I manually put the computer to sleep and after that it was back to sleeping after 5 minutes. It's frustrating.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know there are a million sleep/hibernate settings under the advanced options.

Maybe one of them is set to something weird.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Ruflux posted:

Oh joy, search stopped working at random. I went through a bunch of the troubleshooting tips I saw on Google and found they had no effect. Is this one of those "just do a refresh" things or is it worth digging deeper to figure out what's its loving problem? I really don't feel like doing either right now, frankly.

Tried using System Restore to go back to the 13th, i.e. a known good config. Result: Windows BSOD's on startup. Guess it's dumb enough to uninstall literally every driver and then fails to replace them. Went back to today's config.

Decided to try uninstalling updates, specifically the two suspect ones from about when search broke, Retpoline and a random Windows update. Result: success! I guess I'll wait for 19H1 for the new Spectre mitigation because despite everything working correctly, search didn't like the update one bit. I suppose it's possible the actual issue was the other Windows update but I'm almost certain it started happening after I applied the Spectre fix. So, whatever really, I didn't really need the extra performance anyway.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, my home pc is still failing to update to 1803 with the same error (0x8007001f) and 1709 is going out of style in april. What do? I tried everything I could find about half a year ago and nothing worked. I don't want to reinstall.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Truga posted:

Welp, my home pc is still failing to update to 1803 with the same error (0x8007001f) and 1709 is going out of style in april. What do? I tried everything I could find about half a year ago and nothing worked. I don't want to reinstall.

Why not try updating to 1809? Or wait a few weeks (probably) and try 19H1 or whatever it's being named?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

Get the Media Creation Tool (the regular version) and update to 1809 manually

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Why not try updating to 1809? Or wait a few weeks (probably) and try 19H1 or whatever it's being named?

Should be 1903. It's always year & month.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

*the month it was supposed to come out, not when it actually did

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Lambert posted:

IIRC i tried doing that with 1803 and got the same error, I'll try with 1809 today.
e: yeah, exact same error lmao. get your poo poo together already microsoft jesus christ

i guess i'll be running unprotected for a few months, i have a pc upgrade planned sometime this year and i'm not going to be installing loving windows twice in one year

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 19, 2019

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lambert posted:

Are they not staring to call them H1 and H2? I assume that's so they're not making little sense when launching 1809 in October or November, for instance.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
My brother had that upgrade issue. I tried everything, including the DISM stuff; all that and more. When it finally worked we did two things that we hadn't tried before: unplugging everything usb, except the installer flash drive of course (we used a ps/2 kb), and uninstalling his third party AV (Webroot ugh).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Truga posted:

Did you already try the Update Assistant?

When you run the MCT, are you building the media?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So if I have an older laptop with an embedded Windows 8 license, how do I know which version, if any, of Windows 10 will install an activate on it?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

So if I have an older laptop with an embedded Windows 8 license, how do I know which version, if any, of Windows 10 will install an activate on it?

It'll depend on which windows 8 you had the license for but generally if it was not windows 8 pro it won't activate as windows 10 pro and you'll need to use windows 10 home.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MagusDraco posted:

It'll depend on which windows 8 you had the license for but generally if it was not windows 8 pro it won't activate as windows 10 pro and you'll need to use windows 10 home.

99% sure it was Windows 8 Pro, but Windows 10 Pro tells me about contacting my organization's activation servers. Maybe I pulled the wrong ISO...

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Get the Media Creation Tool, no ISO downloading required.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

99% sure it was Windows 8 Pro, but Windows 10 Pro tells me about contacting my organization's activation servers. Maybe I pulled the wrong ISO...

get the media create tool from here and don't put a key in while installing. You activate it after windows 10 installs. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

AlternateAccount posted:

I actually have one of these too (it's an ASUS touchscreen laptop I believe, that it claims was ~built for Windows 8~) -- and I was coming with a question regarding it, actually.

So I did a fresh upgrade to Win10 on this laptop but one thing I noticed is that it's slow as hell. Like booting easily takes 2-3 minutes (on an SSD) and it generally runs like it's bogged down by just about everything. I've considered try to do another reinstall of Win10 and seeing if that fixes it -- or just going back to Win8.

I have no love for Win8, but my wife uses it every weekend to do some work stuff and I want to give her a laptop she can play some games on and not have to hear her bitch about how it's so slow. Any thoughts on this? Should I just try to do a full reinstall of 10 or should I just revert it back to 8?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lambert posted:

Get the Media Creation Tool, no ISO downloading required.

Yeah I pulled Windows 10 Pro from our VLSC, that might have been a bonehead play. Using the MCT right now.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Does anyone know how to change the icons use for start menu tiles? All the articles I have searched Google for say to open the shortcut location, and then select a new icon in the shortcut's properties, but I can not get this to work. It's not a big deal, but I think my system would look nice with say all white modern style icons instead of the default colorful icons. Really the biggest thing I dislike is simply that the Chrome icon has a gray background instead of blue.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Crotch Fruit posted:

Does anyone know how to change the icons use for start menu tiles? All the articles I have searched Google for say to open the shortcut location, and then select a new icon in the shortcut's properties, but I can not get this to work. It's not a big deal, but I think my system would look nice with say all white modern style icons instead of the default colorful icons. Really the biggest thing I dislike is simply that the Chrome icon has a gray background instead of blue.

To get the icon to change on tiles that have their own style, you need to remove the *.visualElementsManifest.xml from the program's directory. For Chrome, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well that didn't work. Still won't activate with the BIOS key. It must have shipped with 8. I wish there was a site you could plug your key into and it would tell you WORKS FOR THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Lambert posted:

To get the icon to change on tiles that have their own style, you need to remove the *.visualElementsManifest.xml from the program's directory. For Chrome, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application
Thanks, that worked perfectly. It looks like I could even use that to say color code my live tiles, or just a slightly easier way to change the icons. Can I add this xml file to another program that doesn't have one by default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Crotch Fruit posted:

Thanks, that worked perfectly. It looks like I could even use that to say color code my live tiles, or just a slightly easier way to change the icons. Can I add this xml file to another program that doesn't have one by default?

Absolutely. There's even a program to help with that: https://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10/development/win10tile-native-custom-windows-10-t3248677