Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Okay... started seeing some bizarre anti-solar power commercials. They have a state name in the commercials but I have a feeling that part is just plug and play for wherever they want to air it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I just saw a commercial about cardboard boxes.

Why?

Do people need to be sold on the benefits of cardboard?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Arm and Hammer has a cat litter commercial featuring cats, but not housecats.

Furries.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Arm and Hammer has a cat litter commercial featuring cats, but not housecats.

Furries.

Wait wait wait wait wait. Is there a video of this on YouTube? This has got to be so awful :psyduck:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdx045o8WFA

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

On a different note, I use the Youtube App to watch some TV shows (so ~30 mins) and while some just show an ad at the beginning others will interrupt with one every five minutes. Are there different levels of monetization people can put on their uploads, or does the algorithm just occasionally decide "screw you, here's a bunch of poo poo"?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bruceski posted:

On a different note, I use the Youtube App to watch some TV shows (so ~30 mins) and while some just show an ad at the beginning others will interrupt with one every five minutes. Are there different levels of monetization people can put on their uploads, or does the algorithm just occasionally decide "screw you, here's a bunch of poo poo"?

From what I've heard is that once you're over a certain time limit (IIRC 10 minutes) you can put in as many or as few ads as you want.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

From what I've heard is that once you're over a certain time limit (IIRC 10 minutes) you can put in as many or as few ads as you want.

Well balls.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Anyone remember an ad for pet urine cleaner but instead of animals it was women in sexy Halloween costumes? For some reason I had a dream about it last night and I’m 90% sure it was real but I can’t find it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

10 minutes is the minimum for monetization I believe, but I think you're still limited to 5 total ads. This what I've gathered from watching YouTube folks talk about it at any rate

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

:barf: oh my god :barf:

E: :catstare:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Anyone remember an ad for pet urine cleaner but instead of animals it was women in sexy Halloween costumes? For some reason I had a dream about it last night and I’m 90% sure it was real but I can’t find it.

I don't have it handy, but I can at least tell you that it does exist, or we have a shared false memory.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SpacePig posted:

I don't have it handy, but I can at least tell you that it does exist, or we have a shared false memory.

Or we slid into an alternate universe 🤣

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Reebok put out a new commerical and I have no idea what to make of it. In the middle of a pick up basketball game, an Asian girl starts dancing strangely. The players and spectators ensue. I don't know what the song is and the whole thing makes me feel old.

Mountain Dew, but for gamerzzz, makes me laugh. Complete with TACTICAL CAN!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtz9bt9g7_o

I think they just pulled some old horror movie footage.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
We have a local car dealership ad here, and I guess they're trying to incorporate trading in your old car with the Final Four. The line they came up with?

Slam dunk your junk.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_0UEO_hbQ

Is this what middle aged men sitting in a board room think "the kids" want to see nowadays: random "monkey cheese" bullshit like this?

Businesses might actually sell more of whatever product they're shilling if they didn't try so desperately hard to prove how "cool" and clever they think they are.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

I hate insurance companies and BRANDS but isn't the joke that you only pay for what you need. As in they paid for an emu mascot when the dude works just fine, just as you are with your car insurance?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sneeing Emu posted:

We have a local car dealership ad here, and I guess they're trying to incorporate trading in your old car with the Final Four. The line they came up with?

Slam dunk your junk.

thats marketing genius tbh

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Peanut President posted:

I hate insurance companies and BRANDS but isn't the joke that you only pay for what you need. As in they paid for an emu mascot when the dude works just fine, just as you are with your car insurance?

If that's the point, then it's very poorly communicated, with the emu being the focus of the campaign and all

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Look, it's the only sense I can make of it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Every single time I see the talking Progressive Insurance box, I want to do homicides to everyone involved in the making of those ads, including Chris Parnell (especially Chris Parnell).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Insurance ads have to get super abstract and jokey because the actual product is extremely loving boring and most people just go off name recognition when they're picking an insurance company so they just want you to laugh at their ad so your brain makes the connection and then hopefully when you need insurance you go "eh heck, they're all the same anyway, might as well pick that one with the :airquote: funny :airquote: emu ad"

edited this to add the airquote emoticons just to ensure that no one thinks I found the ad humorous

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 29, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I actually like the emu ad. It’s better than most of the other stuff Liberty Mutual has put out recently. Like the cyclist with his giant weird gross fucky rear end calves. :gonk:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Reebok put out a new commerical and I have no idea what to make of it. In the middle of a pick up basketball game, an Asian girl starts dancing strangely. The players and spectators ensue. I don't know what the song is and the whole thing makes me feel old.

Mountain Dew, but for gamerzzz, makes me laugh. Complete with TACTICAL CAN!

Bruceski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtz9bt9g7_o

I think they just pulled some old horror movie footage.

Yeah, feels like it cuts away just before all their heads explode.

Meanwhile, the song in this Citi commercial makes me wish I was dead, because my brain replays it constantly, with increasingly irritating lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW23ZHOkjvQ

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This is a full length infomercial for the Atari Jaguar.

It is one hour and two minutes long.

God help us all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-NBFaNSDYs

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I. M. Gei posted:

I actually like the emu ad. It’s better than most of the other stuff Liberty Mutual has put out recently. Like the cyclist with his giant weird gross fucky rear end calves. :gonk:

It's all been downhill for Liberty Mutual ever since the "Brad" commercial which was sort of cute on its own. The premises have been getting dumber, like mega calves and reporter lady, and the green screen Statue of Liberty background somehow even sloppier in newer iterations. The leaking helium truck "fender bender" commercial is also terrible just because it's on all the time on all channels everywhere but I can't remember which company is responsible for it.

Also bad: Toyota's retrying to establish their own version of Progressive's Flo with that wrestling announcer commercial. Even though it's old now Nissan's advertising tie-in with the Star Wars movies was a real head scratcher at the time. Washington State Lotto's ad campaign with the lady using her winnings to go swimming in a pool of ranch dressing :barf: T-mobile's and Metro PCS' zero effort ads that are probably slapped together in batches by interns using Powerpoint and Flash.

Good ads: Uh... Can't think of any in recent memory.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
LiMu Emu owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_0UEO_hbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7z-Y8Prhxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsE4lZ3WjuQ

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fabulousity posted:

The leaking helium truck "fender bender" commercial is also terrible just because it's on all the time on all channels everywhere but I can't remember which company is responsible for it.

I enjoy pointing out that all those people would be dead, if that much helium was leaking in that tunnel.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Haha yep. Suffocation city

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

LiMu Emu

Thanks to you, I finally know why they named the emu that way. I thought it was just pulled out of someone's rear end.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Uggghh those obnoxious "the people are coming the people are coming" IKEA ads are running again.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn-zYXfdi1Y

Look at those comments. Commercial sucks, but people suck more.

Oh also, whatever the gently caress cereal ad has some old lady tunelessly sing words that sound like "Bunchada bunchada crunch, for breakfast lunch or brunch". I forgot what it was like to hate a commercial. Thank you, thread.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Honey Bunches of Oats.

Their mascot is literally a tone-deaf factory drone.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Maybe I'm just a jaded white guy in his 30s but this ad annoys me to no end every time I see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYb9As684l4

Pepsi even trying to prove their wokeness credentials after the Kylie Jenner fiasco by including a trans person doesn't help.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

sticksy posted:

Maybe I'm just a jaded white guy in his 30s but this ad annoys me to no end every time I see it:

Pepsi even trying to prove their wokeness credentials after the Kylie Jenner fiasco by including a trans person doesn't help.

That was terrible and I'm glad I'll never have to see it again.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sticksy posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the cop at 0:18 :ughh:ing like "goddratit Cardi B, not again"

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

FELD1 posted:

Honey Bunches of Oats.

Their mascot is literally a tone-deaf factory drone.

Simply awful. Christ almighty, how bad.

...almost as bad as that Pepsi commercial. Wowsa.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They have another commercial which shows how absolutely timely they are in that it has Lil Jon doing his "OKAY?" bit as well. Which is like, great job time traveling back to the early 00s for that reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

They have another commercial which shows how absolutely timely they are in that it has Lil Jon doing his "OKAY?" bit as well. Which is like, great job time traveling back to the early 00s for that reference.

They did that at the superbowl halftime show, too. Pepsi is the epitome of “tries too hard to be different and cool”.